Star Destroyer Killer

So got talking to a friend today and I was wondering:

Is it possible to kit out a VCX-100 or any ship around that mark really, well enough to be able to take on a Star Destroyer in Edge of the Empire and its sister systems?

Naturally, this is assuming you have rules, splatbooks, etc.

This is just hypothetical fun really.

Hardmode: The ship still has to be able to function as a freighter.

A star destroyer was taken out by a kamikaze A-Wing.

The real question is not if it can function as a freighter, but if you want to survive.

Let's assume the party (read: the Pilot) doesn't want to French kiss the Star Destroyer in the process of destroying it.

Actually, if anyone has storytime of space combat shenanigans, OP is listening as well.

Well from my limited understanding, if you can manage to destroy the two big orbs on top of the star destroyer which are the sheild generators, then you can attack the bride directly.

I don't think you can outright destroy a star destroyer without a massive amount of ordinance or internal sabotage, but you can certainly disable and set it adrift if you destroy the bridge.

Alternatively another interesting option is if you can get it into, or get it to follow you into a gravity well, such as a planet in the atmosphere or something like that. Since star destroyers are designed to remain as space going vessels, while under gravity effect they have to use their full power to operate. So if you can get it in this situation and do some damage to the engines or some important external part of the ship, the whole thing will fall to the planet.

So, Jakku 2: electric boogaloo?

I'll have to remember that and see if I can't have my character learn that in the actual session I'm in.

After the GM went and left us hanging in front of a Super Star Destroyer, I wouldn't mind seeing one fall apart.

Back to the question though, what's the most munchkin thing that can be done ship wise in the system I wonder?

Realistically? Letting it tractor beam your ship inside, and then your crew/party sneaking/fighting their way to the core reactor and blowing it from within, then jetting the fuck out.

The rebels were able to do this multiple times and they're complete fucbois. You've got it even better, you've got plot armor, or at least main characters syndrome.

With our GM? In Edge of the Empire?

Nope. Plot Armour is something we most definitely do not have.

In fact, with the number of lightsabers and illegal shit currently on our ship, I really wouldn't be surprised if we're not rerolling our characters by the end of the next session.

Do you realize how fucking shitty the typical imperial crew are?

Stormtroopers are still fully capable of fucking our day and have done so previously.

Yes, Imperial crew are shitty, but our GM depicts them as at least halfway competent.

The last time a party of ours was on an Imperial ship, two characters died, though the second was down to the player being a retard.

And I just keep getting fucking The End is Nigh on any crit I receive.

Well it's a damn shame then that your DM is so shit.

How much time you have to mod your ship?

At present? None.

Previously?

We've had enough time and credits to buff the shields slightly.

Due to our Jedi Pathfinder getting an animal companion, we now have a juvenile Acklay to serve as a deterrent to ship-jackers as well.

Well if you've got nothing and no time you're kind of fucked.

You could try hiding at a place on the ship where the guns can't reach, but then they'll just dispatch figthers.

Really though, your DM is shit if he's put a star destroyer again you, they're supposed to be system deterrents, not freighter chasers.

Okay, context is, we're on Empress Teta, got done turning over the Iron Citadel and the GM has wanted to separate the party Munchkin from his cortosis shield for a while.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to rebalance things slightly in that case.

We got caught in the tractor beams taking off.

We're probably not entirely fucked, but that's going to depend heavily on how well people can hide their shit.

>Imperials aren't complete idiots and players don't get meter thick plot armor
>The DM must be shit!

Do they know who you are? Unless they have eminent reason, they shouldn't tractor beam you and just start kicking your ass.

If you've got aliens, pretend to be like space gypsies of some wacky culture. Even in the canon that tends to work since they're so cut and dry, chances are you'll overwhelm them and they'll send you on your way rather than face the paperwork.

>DM using a star destroyer as a freighter chaser

Eat shit.

He's really not.

The only thing I can fault is the fact he's not one to run with things when you try and throw out plot hooks, but given the last session, I guess it'd be kind of hard to do.

Still, after the Temple of Dark Souls, I'm hoping for something that doesn't involve so much Force bullshit next up.

Well, we found our names on a hit list in the possession of dark-jedi in TIE Phantoms along with Obi-wan, Yoda, Kanan and Ezra, so it's 50/50.

And the reason given was we tried leaving port when they showed up. Apparently we missed the memo the port had been blockaded.

Just play dumb then. If you've got aliens it's even better and more likely to work.

That's exactly what I plan to do.

I just hope everyone else has the good sense to do that.

Only problem then is, since the campaign is Force and Destiny, hiding the lightsabers.

I'm fine, everyone else however is in for a hell of a time there.

A star destroyer that had been taking a massive pounding from the entire Rebel fleet, which dropped its shields.

Without that, the A-Wing would've just vaporized without any further drama.

To be fair, that was a Super Star Destroyer as well.

My original question was is it theoretically possible to kit out a freighter to take on a Star Destroyer within the limitations of the Edge of the Empire system.

>Doesn't know the complete context
>Keeps being a salty faggot anyway

hide all the really bad contraband like lightsabres really well, and do a shitty job of hiding the stuff that'll just get confiscated, so that they'll find it after a short search

See, the super illegal shit is really all there is to it.
Although I'd like to see the Imps try and find my Disruptor pistol considering where I stashed it.

Bit of a story as to how I came by that, but it's about the only thing keeping my character relevant, because despite having a lightsaber, due to character reasons and the way I set my character up, he can't use it worth shit.

He's got the best hiding place going for it though.

No, barring some really 'creative' tactics you won't be able to take a star destroyer in a straight fight.
However, seeing how FUN! the combat system gets when you with infantry in tight spaces using lightsabers and force powers, You might be able to take it over from the inside.

Also, it technically wasn't the A-wing that destroyed it. Star Destroyers actually do have a secondary command center inside the ship incase the main bridge gets blown up, but by the time they routed all the systems there, the Executor had already drifted to close to the Death Star's gravity well that they couldn't stop it from crashign right into it and blowing up.

No matter how far you mod the ship and what you target?

I'd have figured someone would've tried just for shits and giggles to see how much you could do with Tinkerer\Rigger and an unlimited budget.

>Edge of the Empire
No. Even if you somehow bolt a turbolaser onto your freighter using an oversized mount, it has a shitload more firepower than you do and can take more punishment.

Shields don't really do a lot in EotE so trying to target its shield generators is pointless.
Really, the best you're going to do with a small ship is get someone with Exhaust Port on the guns and start burning your destiny points, critting it until you can run away.

Although now I mention it, my players ended up in the same situation as the Tantive IV, only they managed to override the weapons lock once they'd docked. Nearly crippled the ship from inside before finally being captured, and it took Dark Troopers to manage that.

You're up against a Star Destroyer? Here's your options: Bullshit your way out of it, like others have suggested. This is the best chance you have to not die. The second option, is to just cut and run; this isn't a great option, because due to the game mechanics, it effectively goes as fast as you. If you manage to get into hyperspace, make sure to make multiple jumps, so they can't track you.

The next option is to fight, which is the option you choose if you fancy getting beaten like a government mule. At range, you're getting pummelled by a minimum of 10 turbolasers. Not good. The best chance you have is to get up close and personal, where the guns can't hit you (if the GM isn't a fucking asshole.) Unfortunately, once you're there, you have other problems, like the fact that your guns aren't doing jackshit in terms of damage because of its Defense of 3/3/3/2 and Armor of 10, and the crit rating of any weapon used on it is increased by 2. (Going by the AoR core rulebook stats for an Imperial-1.) And, of course, you then get between 1 and 72 TIEs sicced on you.

Or you can just get on board the ship and try to cripple it from the inside, where you have to deal with 37,085 crewmen and 9,700 troops, along with any internal security systems.

Don't fight a Star Destroyer, unless you fancy your funeral being closed casket and within the month.

>ten turbolasers
It's something like thirty if you're suicidal enough to go for a frontal assault, I think.
Also the VCX has a minor lead on an Imperial I in terms of speed, even with strict RAW

>Running.
Tried this. Turns out Super Star Destroyers have an Undisclosed Ammount of Tractor Beams.
That right after making a successful astrogation check and being relevant for the first time that session.

Bullshitting is my plan and I'll bury anyone else in the party who suggest's fighting.

But yeah, this was supposed to be a let's-make-something-broken thread instead of an OP-is-salty-over-how-the-last-session-went thread.

The only minor wrinkle is that the Munchkin went and shot a couple of TIEs after they shot us.

Then again, if I need to throw anyone under the bus, it'll be the Munchkin since the party retard has already quit due to not being able to make it.

>attempting to escape
>firing on Imperial Navy vessels
You guys are dead, you're lucky if they don't begin boarding by just chucking grenades into your ship and shooting whatever moves after that.

You could make a nice gunboat with the Advanced Targeting Array from AoR and some big lasers/proton torp tubes. That ATA and my insane gunnery skills were why our Hammerhead (I was, until recently in a post-KOTOR II campaign) was one of the deadliest things in space.

It's actually more like 30 if you come at it from the side. You're best coming at it from behind, which is very much a blind spot, but then you're possibly eating the engine wash, which is also a Bad Thing. Also, the TIEs.

I don't really know anything about the VCX though, I don't have whichever book it's in.

>Super Star Destroyer
>Shooting the TIEs
Oh. Oh no.

So what's the plan for the next campaign?

It's in Keeping the Peace, and honestly it's not great. It's no HWK-290, at least. Incidentally how the hell did that ship end up so awesome?

No, because the best you can do is one turbolaser, and even that is a stretch. You can abuse destiny points and Exhaust Port to hopefully make it fuck off, but you can't win a straight fight with that kind of ship no matter what you do.

Kyle Katarn, that's why. Not that I'm complaining.

Damn right. Based Katarn.
Concussion rifle stats when, FFG?

Probably reroll characters and start over.

Depends how much the GM wants to continue the current one.

I will throw the Munchkin under the bus on the TIEs if necessary though, since he was in the Gunner's seat and I didn't tell him to return fire.

As is, we left the game with the ship being towed aboard and my last order as ship's captain was 'Hide EVERYTHING!'

Start the next session by pleading for mercy and giving up Munchkin over the comms, because otherwise when the stormies board they -will- fuck you up without hesitation

Shit, I forgot those games existed.

Repeating Blaster from those games when?

It's technically possible to rip off a Dark Trooper's assault cannon and use it, if you're swole enough to have Brawn 4

I've actually used one to kill an Ancient Zakeg in the last campaign. Called shot through its eye.

Of course, you could've been playing Saga edition, in which case things would be quite different.

designofdragons dot blogspot dot co dot uk slash 2016 slash 04 slash the-most-dangerous-hunk-of-junk-in dot html (it's not spam please let this post)

Oneshot pic related? Sure why not

Kickass.
I ended up talking with my buddies in the campaign I was in, we agreed that it's probably a good thing there's nothing like that in KOTOR because our GM would have a breakdown trying to find something my Hutt heavy wouldn't utterly slaughter with one.

Why did he shoot the TIEs in the first place?! What did he even expect to happen?

They fired on the ship first, apparently. Still, they're Imperial Navy, you don't fuck with them when you're caught in their tractor beams.

It was 3AM and everyone bar the GM was expecting that the astrogation check I passed would put us into hyperspace.

Turns out no...

On the upside, if I wind up having to make a new character, I can fix my current crippling problem of being assfucked every time a socil check is needed.

Two questions:
One, what kind of illegal shit do you have, other than lightsabres? On a scale from "Well, that's prison for you m8" to "Summary execution", how fucked would you be if they found them?
Two, it's an Executor class, right?

Through the Force, all things are possible.

A Disruptor Pistol, a Holocron and I'm nt sure if the juvenile Acklay is illegal, but for argument's sake, let's say that as well.

Also, someone went and took a Sith Lightsaber called the Blood Blade from the temple we knocked over during the session as well, despite my best efforts in-character to justify leaving it being called meta-gaming.

I'm going to go straight to Summary Execution if people aren't on point with their hiding and bullshit.

And yeah, it's an Executor class. The Armada, apparently.

Bloody hell mate. That's quite bad.
The Acklay could be justified by durr spehss gypsies/bad neighbourhood.
The Disruptor will be infinitely more difficult, so, if/when they find it, you could tell them you thought it was legal because see above. I doubt it will be anywhere near good enough, however, so you better hide it in the safest spot on the ship.
The Holocron goes with the Disruptor. That alone is surely more than enough to get you to "Summary Execution" level instantly.
And I don't think I need to say anything about the Blood Blade. If they find it, you might as well cut off your dick and eat it before they make you do it.

>And I don't think I need to say anything about the Blood Blade
Fortunately, that one isn't my problem.
>The Disruptor will be infinitely more difficult
If they manage to find that INSIDE the control panel, I'll eat my hat.
>The Holocron goes with the Disruptor.
See, I'm pretty sure that's currently on someone's desk.
If by some coincidence it's mine, I'm going to pass it off as a paperweight.

Due to a variety of delays, I've had a month to plan my think over my gameplan and play dumber than shit is what it boils down to.

>which are the sheild generators,
Actually, they're sensor domes, with a set of local-area shield-projecting vanes attached to protect the domes. They're not the shield generators for the whole ship.

Daily reminder that the Imperials explicitly let the heroes escape from the Death Star, and were winning on Endor until Chewie GTA'd an AT-ST.
And those are the only instances anyone points to for this "lolstormtroopersareshit" meme.

Ah ok. In the different figther games and battlefront if I remember, they were the shield generators.