Is millenium blades worth 70 pounds Veeky Forums?

Is millenium blades worth 70 pounds Veeky Forums?

Is there a solo mode?

>Is millenium blades worth 70 pounds Veeky Forums?

I think so. There's a lot of gameplay in that box.

theres no solo mode...yet i think?

but ask yourself this

"do I like nerd pop culture references"

if NO, then you probably should stick to a more serious deck building game.

also this game requires a lot of timing so be careful. Like each phase is 7 to 8 minutes or something. and keeping track of the card packs is a little cumbersome. took me like 30-40 minutes to clean up since the card store was full of friggin cards from 10 or so sets

Are the battle phases timed too?

Nope. The battle phases move pretty quick though. Bought the game after my friend showed me. Its a blast.

I've played it a few times now, and the battles have never really clicked with me. They just feel really basic and lack the more interesting interactions and strategies of actual TCG's. Your interactions with other players mainly involves flipping, and unflipping is a mechanic that is oddly nonexistant.

>and unflipping is a mechanic that is oddly nonexistant.

yea this NEVER made sense with me

>hey I have an ability that lets me flip my flipped cards!

proceeds to check rulebook

>wait...flipped cards can't unflip permanently?

that screwed like half my combos. and yea most sets seem to revolve around "flip card, get blue"

there should be like spell cards or something that you can play, but they dont take up your slots

I can see the point of it. The tournament phase is all about making the best use of extremely limited resources, hence the extremely restricted number of slots and the permanent flip mechanic. You can't just flip and unflip at will, so you need to really consider your choices and try to optimize your deck and sequence to do well.

although another thing that the rulebook wasnt clear about at all was....are you suppose to try to be secretive about what deck you have?

cause theres a lot of cards that rely on naming specific cards. I destroyed my brother who I knew had the parody of exodia, so I had a card that forced him to discard it

plus this can create arms race scenarios wheres you may want to pick cards that specifically counter enemy decks, and they too may try to do that

Reading what your opponents are building towards is part of the game. Keeping an eye on their purchases from the aftermarket and their trades are the best way of doing this, although you can sometimes get mixed signals since you're building for a collection and for your deck.

My main problem is that flipping and clashing are just really not that interesting, and they're the main mechanics on which tournaments are built. You either try to build a combo and hope no-one flips your cards or build a deck where you want your shit to be flipped. You could also try clashing a lot but it's not reliable and subject to opponents playing high star cards.

>You could also try clashing a lot but it's not reliable and subject to opponents playing high star cards.

although some clashes actually want you to lose. because...reasons...

pic unreleated. gimmie dat friendship!

It's all about the meta. Not just the meta cards that come into play, but noticing what your friends are doing, what was successful last round, and trying to predict and build on it.

I quite enjoy it, building a deck to have a mix of planned optimization and reactive cards, able to mess with an opponent or help yourself recover if your plans are foiled. The mechanics you use to do this are simple, but the system of interactions around them can get very, very deep.

oh also, I suggest NEVER do the pre release tournament or at the very least dont count it towards to wins

I used White and my bro used Blue. We look at the cards for a long time and we determined was impossible for White to beat Blue no matter what white did. theres probably other starter deck imbalances

I've noted the Black deck is the best out of the originals.

My problem is that the player interactions in the tournament itself are boring. Leading up to it, yes, the meta, the general strategies your friends employ, whether they have a strong accessory, etc, all play into it. But actually playing it is something I've never had fun with.

I'm surprised there isn't a Set parody of MOBA games

>Doctor Balance

Alright, I snickered.

I think a problem is the ambitiousness of the game

which is pretty much 2 games in one. the tournament card game, and then the outside of the tournament deckbuild game

something had to give.

I still enjoy the tournament phase, so I'd say it's a matter of personal preference and what style of game you enjoy. It's nothing like a TCG, in either phase, so if you play it expecting that you'll be disappointed, but even in the rulebook it explicitly tells you that nothing in the game plays like a CCG.

All I can do is hope that if they ever make a sequel, they'll do something about it. However, the overall consensus seems pretty positive and L99 themselves seem pleased with it, so it'll likely never happen. I do understand that designing 700 cards to play like Magic while also adhering to the constraints of the game is likely way more effort than is reasonable, but I find it hard to not feel some disappointment when I play it.

It sorta feels like you're criticizing the game for not doing something it never claimed it would do?

Apart from what it says on the box

'CCG Simulator Boardgame'? When it says on the back and in the rulebook that it does not, and was not intended to, play like a CCG?

The rules and wordings on the cards are a fucking mess, but if you're willing to make rules up on the fly it can be a fun game.

Unfortunately, I hate everyone who likes it.

I'm looking at the box and it doesn't say that.
What page does it say in the manual that "Millennium Blades is not intended to play like a CCG"?

I'm trying to convey that the game's tournament phase is just not as good as the deckbuilding, and that I understand that trying to bring the tournament up to actual CCG levels is unfeasible.

well to be fair LVL99 is a tiny ass company so they probably didnt really need a hyper tight rule system as long as their gimmicks of references sell their games (like Pixel Tactics). I mean MB was their biggest KS, at $250k. which is a lot smaller than many other KS

What references did Pixel Tactics have? You mean World of Indines?
On a side note, I fucking hate the Indines setting and how hard they're trying to push it, and Pixel Tactics has absolutely nothing in common with any "retro strategy" game I've ever seen or played.

>What references did Pixel Tactics have?

the entire game is based around 8 Bit video game art. that in itself is pretty much a reference today

>It's nothing like a TCG, in either phase, so if you play it expecting that you'll be disappointed, but even in the rulebook it explicitly tells you that nothing in the game plays like a CCG.

Yeah, it's a CCG simulator.

Being tiny is no excuse for being terrible when you have several published titles under your belt. When your official response to a rules question is "I don't know, things just work the way they're supposed to, yo" it makes me not want to play your game.

It is now.