Anyone got advice on running a FATAL game?

Anyone got advice on running a FATAL game?

I doing some community outreach and running roleplaying games for prison inmates that are interested, and i figured FATAL would be perfect for nerdy criminals

Don't play it

It's unplayable and it will make them even worse people.
Also, magical armor that turns you into a Jew.

Well, I don't know if you've ever been to a US prison but if you go in a good person you come out a hardened criminal - I doubt this will make them worse

Also, everyone says it's unplayable, but have you ever TRIED? it can be fun if you take it really, really seriously

You can rape babies in it this will make them worse

>have you ever TRIED?

Yes, it's a trainwreck. Rules that contradict each other, complicated fiddly bullshit, and general awfulness. It's possible to generate a character who begins play unconscious and unable to wake up, who has no anus thanks to a negative circumference.
Sage for your dumbassery.

You can rape babies in real life

Sounds like traveler

Nonsense. Traveller's actually a good game.

Can you even call it bait when there's less than zero effort put into it?

Why does everyone immediately assume it's bait if FATAL even gets mentioned?

They want to play the game, I gave them a list of options and this one got the most votes, by far

May advice, better run another system...

>Also, everyone says it's unplayable, but have you ever TRIED?
Its literally unplayable because of a flaw.
You roll stats at random, this includes faith, mental type.
Then if you are an adult, you roll a job at random.
The problem is that jobs have prerequisites and so you may end with a job you have no stats and etc.. to be.
So you end with some character that have an job he shouldnt have.

> I gave them a list of options and this one got the most votes, by far
>i figured FATAL would be perfect for nerdy criminals

Dude, at least keep your bait straight

The book is a mess.
First, what he was trying to do with this game is to make a game that is scientifically realistic
At the same time he tried to make a game that is historically realistic (no problem yet)
And at the same time he tried to do some game that was mythic realistic ( no problem yet ).
Here the probems start.
One of his ideas was to make a game where everyone had the same chance. With that idea in mind he made a bunch of randomization tables that are unrealistic, but would make players have the same chance of being things. You have random table for hair colour when you are an adult (an unrealistic thing) because of that, you also have random jobs for adults because of that.
Another idea he had for his rpg is to make the game a "hard fun" experience. This also will contradict with the idea of making a realistic game, because some parts of reality are hard but others not.

Anyway, the game fail at being scientificaly realistic, historical one.... But not only because of mixed ideas of how a game should be, sometimes he use data that is really wrong

PC chars are created by rolling stuff at random, almost every stuff is rolled at random. But sex and race can be select by players if the dm allow.
Some of the stuff rolled are hands size, vagina size, face stuff, all skills.....
Remember the part i said that at the same time the game tries to be realistic and make each player have the same chance? This influencied the char creation process. Because of that, you have unrealistic stuff at char creation process, like, hair colour for adults, hair size for adults, random job for adults, random sexuality, random faith, random slutiness, random "how much you hate another race at average"...

This is one of MANY flaws with the game. The rules are borked, the setting is shit, the gameplay is tedious and dull. It's not a good game by any stretch.

Fatal system has ALOT of races abilities, that must be rolled at random. They are rollled at random and then modified according to your age, most of then cant be increased (you will auto increase after you get x years old). You have stuff like math, facial beauty, how good you are at saying words, hand coordenation,......
all stuff are rolled according to a formula that according to him follow QI distribution. ((10D100)/5)-1
Also they must be rolled in order, from least abstract stuff like science to more abstract stuff like inteligence. Game allow you to reroll the abilities 2 times as max, but every time you reroll it must select a mental problem at random, also if you get a smaller number while rerolling you are fucked.

The game tries to be mythically realistic so the magic system is based on mythcs, this magical system is called cerimonial magic, every spell is a "real" one people believed to be true (he has the list of books he got the spell info from).
if I remember right, the spells have verbal component, ingredient component or ritual component or a combination of those.

one example of randomization problem
is that you have a table to roll how old you are, this is based on how likely it is to be at some age, if you are from some race (and its not arbritary)
you also have a table that show how likely you are to have brothers and also a table that show how likely you are to be the first, second,... child, this is also not arbritary.

Those 2 tables are realistic by itself but not realistic when combined.
So you can roll a char that have 0 years old, then roll that you have brothers and then roll that some of them are younger than you.

>Dude, at least keep your bait straight
But I like my bait to be queer.

As I said you have jobs, that must be rolled at random. Another randomization problem is that you select your abilities and job at random, so you can have a job you dont have abilities to do (jobs have prehequisites), what the hell you do on that situations? So the skills randomization isnt skewed based on jobs you have (or jobs skewed based on skills you have).
Back to realism:
Another problem is his definition of realism. Fatal has a mentality system (and also morality one). The mentality system is a unrealistic one that was considered realistic at the same. He use it and call it realistic because it was considered realistic at the time. This is like making the earth flat (a thing he didnt done) and calling it realistic because they believed on that at the era.

fatal damage system works like this:
Each char has HP, this hp is distributed by body parts. You distribute total HP * 3 between your body parts.
If you lose total HP (not total HP * 3) you die, so losing 100/3% of the body is enought to die.
There are specific parts that you will auto die when you lose.
There are also blood loss that I forgot how it works.

>This is one of MANY flaws with the game. The rules are borked, the setting is shit, the gameplay is tedious and dull. It's not a good game by any stretch.

I was just posting something that makes the game literally unplayable most of the cases

Heellloo virtualoptim

Goodbye

Those things are not contradictory....

I gave them a list of games I thought they might enjoy

>I gave them a list of options and this one got the most votes, by far
Thats what you get by using by using "pick one, the one with most votes win" voting system.

PS:YES I THINK PRESIDENTIAL AND ETC.. ELECTION SYSTEM SUCKS ALOT
Your is even worst, at least presidential election have second turns.

So am I suppose to use a proportional representation system for picking an RPG? Suck a dick.

There was a list of five RPGs, they rated the games from 1-5, 5 for the one they want to play most.

I added up the totals, and guess what? FATAL won.

You honestly shouldn't have included a system that was literally never finished. The creator made a single, test version then dropped it without letting go of his right so the game so no one can officially release an update.

I included reviews of the systems

>There was a list of five RPGs, they rated the games from 1-5, 5 for the one they want to play most.
Ok thats is range voting type of voting, and one of the best voting system ever.

You did a good job, yes now I see you did nothing wrong.

If they had to vote on every rpg you proposed you did an even better job.

i even included reviews and examples