EDH/Commander general

Big Blue Edition

Old thread: >RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jalira-edh-aka-stealing-and-cheating/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-enchantment-lord/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-16-work-in-progress/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post your favorite card you think no one else uses. Bonus points if it's not normally posted here.

This bastard with +1/+1 counters is a giant pain in the ass. He's my mimeo's best friend.

How fun/good is Zur, the Enchanter?

Any recommendations for this guy? I want to make it "destroy everything" with a side of voltron.

I threw together a jank Jalira deck that I'm considering running. It's got a price tag, but it's relatively budget for commander.
The general premise is to spam tokens, steal shit, and sacrafice your tokens or the opponent's creatures to Jalira to cheat out big dudes.

Any advice is appreciated, it's an early prototype.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jalira-edh-aka-stealing-and-cheating/

Quite good, miserable to play against.

I think Blighted Agent is a better option, personally.

Illusionist's Bracers and Rings of Brighthearth.

Oh, sure it is because you can actually play blighted agent, and it gives it true unblockability, but the draw back is that it's only a 1/1. I think it's easier to drop 7 +1/+1 counters than 9.

Incredibly powerful, however no one will want to play with you, he's borderline Derevi/Narset levels of unfun.

Bracers are in there, Rings are aquireboard. It's pretty expensive.

In order, how do you rank the 3-color combinations from strongest to weakest?

BUG > WUG > RUG > the rest.

People usually get BTFO when I play this. Then everyone shits their pants after reading it.

I use these with Scry lands in my scion edh. Love em.

Probably more of an availability issue than a choice.

Also the fact that it's not TERRIBLY great in most decks. It's harder to build a "Recruiter package" than a Sunforger package or a Bellower package, and there's not as much value.

But I run a Clone tribal deck, so that card is 100% gas.

Seems like a perfect fit for an Alesha deck.

Like I said, 'most decks'. It's super spicy tech in the decks that can use it, but elsewhere it's not terribly impressive. Great for Alesha or Hydras though.

>Tier S
Sultai
>Tier A
Bant, Temur, Abzan, Jund, Grixis
>Tier B
Esper, Jeskai, Naya, Mardu

You're simply wrong on this, recruiter is much easier to build around than sunforger or bellower (green creatures only)

Imperial recruiter is perfect for setting up low to the ground creature combos

Yea. Its not all inclusive.

I use him in daretti to get squee for free card draws. Plus flavor win.

Its less inclusive than Bellower. Every green deck will have eternal witness.

It always comes out of fucking nowhere.

I feel like a lot of decks have utility creatures with power 2 or less.

Anything with UG > pretty much everything else > Anything with RW

>recruiting a squee for free discards
You have my respect, sir.

I have no idea why I don't see anybody using this guy.

Holy friggity fuck, I've never seen that before and I would absolutely run it.

Depends on the commander. I can name some awful colour combinations with excellent commanders, like Uril, it just depends on what you want to build.

But in general, UGx > WBx > the rest. In UGx you get all the land ramp and card draw that you want. In WBx, you get all of the removal that exists.

The Anti-Red commanders this year will be fun

I'm more excited for anti-white and anti-blue. Fuck that shit. White is the only colour I can think of that's useless on its own, but amazing in just about anything. Blue can be neat, but fuck mono-blue and UR combo players hard.

If Eldritch moon didn't have all those white Eldrazis, I would make Anti-White Eldrazi Tribal

Also, Eldrazi "I'm really worth $40 as soon as a combo breaks me" Displacer is pretty cool. I'm pissed that devoid cards have a colour identity. Literally why? I have to run some 5 colour bullshit just to use cards that are explicitly colourless? That's some meta-bullshit right there.

Top tier:
Esper, Sultai

Mid tier:
Mardu, Naya, Jund, Grixis

Low tier
Temur, Bant, Jeskai, Abzan

>UGx
>Low Tier

>I haven't been playing magic very long: the post

I've gotten a table flip from this card before

So gloriously salty

Thinking of doing a falcon deck with banding, what do you guys think?

Falcons don't exist in MTG, user

it's Birds

Longer than you kiddo. I'm basing my answers off of my local meta. Most are 2 color decks.

Then the people you're playing with are fucking morons. In no universe is "where is my card advantage" Mardu better than UGx.

>fun
not
>good
very

all of your games will be "play zur, attack with zur, get some enchantments that make you impossible to disrupt and you just keep doing that until you win"
its boring as fuck to play

>what do you guys think

Well, it will obviously be awful, and doesn't even get blue birds.

I'd start with ways to recover from wrath effects. Such as pic related.

I didnt say it was better. When there's more Zurgo and Kaalia decks than there are.... What even are the go to Temur legends?
Then my experience and opinions will be different. Is this all new to you?

To ad, in a vacuum I know ugx is the most versatile and dominate combo.

There's a diverse meta where I live. Not everyone net decks the top deck. That would kill the format pretty quick. I'm sorry that your meta is stale.

He is wicked fun and is super power. If you don't like quick combo than it is best to stay away

A Tier list is about the top decks though....

You make no sense

I saw that in a previous thread and immediately bought one.

I'm requesting help on this deck I'm building

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-enchantment-lord/

Halp. Please. I'm begging.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-enchantment-lord/
>begging for help
>has 12 basic lands
Yup, you get nothing with that optimized deck list.

>902$
>Halp. Please

It does some very silly things sometimes. One of my favorite is plucking lands out of an Extraplanar Lens.

Esper jund and sulti are the most powerful because they have the best commanders. Then patriot bant and rug are the next best. The others are hardly worth playing for competitive use

What do I care what top decks are in Chicago or Japan?

I gave a personal opinion based on experience. Get over it

>2x no mercy

JUDGE

I'm not the same person you were arguing with, sorry I made you upset, I was just saying, if you already knew that UGx was the best, you're thought process makes no sense to me

the question wasn't about your personal experience or your local meta though.

You're dumb dude

WUR has bad commander options which contradicts your post, also claiming that WBG isn't worth playing is dumb

>WUR has bad commander options
>Narset, Zedru, Shun Yu
>bad
choose one

Narset is the only one of those that's good, whereas zedruu and shu yun are just playable

What is must have utility to run in Mardu (WBR) and specifically for Kaalia?
Here is my list and I just can't help but feel like it's missing something, aside from literally missing 5 cards.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-16-work-in-progress/

Besides karador name one good commander

While Narset is clearly the strongest Shun Yu is certainly more than playable.

anafenza and Ghave are pretty good as well.
imo wbg also is the best color for reanimator decks and you don't even need to run Karador as commander.

It has 40 proxies, so far. I'll most likely never actually get to that value, especially taking in account roughly 200-300$ are in the land base. The version I'll be playing will have more basics.

Regardless, I'm looking for help more on the enchantment stuff. This is the second deck I'm building, my first one was a mono black goodstuff, so I don't really have much of a clue regarding this. I think I should try to include what I put in the maybeboard, but I have no idea what to exclude. Also increase the land count to 35, maybe. I've been playtesting this in a vacuum, I think maybe I won't have to change anything with the lands, but we all know a vacuum doesn't mean jackshit.

>anyone thinks that Naya is not top tier
moo

>40 proxies
Stop.

We are talking competitively, no they are not

How else am I supposed to test this before knowing it's worth getting the cards? Online with playgroups that don't resemble mine at all?

>How do YOU rank

You can STOL embarrassing yourself now.

I love how it was errata'd between the time it was printed and the time it actually shipped.

>Moo
>Not "b'aaah"

If your deck is so heavily based around your meta that online testing means nothing, then I have bad news for you.

What the fuck is STOL and why does my phone auto correct to it.

Anyone use any online deck builders? (or even ones for your phone?). GOOD being top priority, Free being next.

If so what do you use?

Welp I have known about this card for a while now, but I guess I never actually thought about it, because thats genius. Excuse me while I go spend some money.

How good is this in mimeoplasm? Anyone test it out or experimented with it?

It's more like the few times I've tried playing online, maybe I was just unlucky, but I just found players that didn't do jack shit or played with the jankiest shit ever. However, my experience seems to be more consistent both in my playgroup and at a store in a different town. So I yeah. I'm kinda wary of online testing.

Tappedout

Wew

A couple times people have been about to remove an Oblivion Ring to get something back and you just Pull it out from under them. I've also had a lot of fun with people going out of their way to exile combo pieces and then I just Pull them right into place. It has a lot of versatility and all of it is just stuff that's seemingly really dumb and unexpected.

I think that Rith is baller

How much do the cards you proxy cost?

>guy in my group has a nath deck completely proxied sans the basic lands
>he's been playing it for 5 months now

I mean I don't mind it cause he barely wins but seriously the deck is maybe $80 its just laziness at that point

>Zurgo and Kaalia
>Strong

Total? Like 550$ according to the prices on the tappedout links. Roughly 200$ of these are in lands alone (Scrubland, Marsh Flats, Fetid Heath and Maze of Ith being the most expensive lands I don't own). I'll probably take over a year to fully assemble it, considering I'm just a student with no job yet.

>proxying the og dual lands

There's nothing wrong with this and I own tropical island. Prices for the dual lands are ridiculous

I honestly wish I had started out playing mtg years before. Maybe I would've had the good sense of buying a couple of those before their prices went up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with proxying cards that cost more than $50 in EDH. If you're kitchen table, who gives a fuck? If you're going to a flgs, it's just smart to proxy duals in case your deck gets stolen.

Ew...

I pulled the island, never got the others.

My LGS is cool on proxies, hell vintage and legacy they don't care whatever you proxy unless its something then you're just be a jackass. I don't care about proxies of obviously expensive cards but proxy of cheaps cards or cards that are pricey but your deck doesnt like how not every blue deck needs consecrated sphinx

Hey do "When you cast" effects happen even if the spell gets countered?
>Pic

It does. That's a trigger that goes on the stack and resolves before the actual spell even gets to resolve, fyi.

yup!

People saying Zur can't be fun are just butthurt. I play a toolbox-y Zur deck and it's tons of fun. The only thing that is really douchey in it is Enchanted Evening + Aura Thief, and I've gotten that combo off once in dozens of games played with the deck. It's specifically built to not be super overpowered, but it can still win if it goes unchecked. It's mainly enchantron and pillowfort, with a few "fun" cards that help my overall game plan, like Dovescape.

that's fucking savage