/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

Familiar Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Old Thread Tell us about some unusual familiars you've seen or interesting uses of a familiar in gameplay.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Epic6
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A friend of mine used his familiar to make bombs, put ball bearings back in bottles after use, distill alchemist's fire, and rob cities blind.

He was playing an arcane trickster/conjuration wizard/pact of the chain fiend lock.

It was honestly a pretty cool character.

That campaign kind of fell apart though after the paladin player left. I'd like to get it started again, because I really liked my character too, but my friend has already moved on.

>Players need to pick a side to support in a civil war
>They want to fight both sides
I mean, they COULD do it, given that they have the tech both sides want (ability to bind souls to metal golems to create an endless army) but I don't think they have a plan for what to do with said army if they win.

Prop up the weaker side, then betray them!

One player wants to support the Queen while the other three are going "FUCK THEM ALL LET'S TAKE IT FOR OURSELVES!"

I feel bad for the guy who wants to see what happens if they defend the Queen who gave them their power in the first place.

I remember you. Choice between a general and the queen right?

You said you had plans if they decided to fight both, so follow through on that and don't be all like "well you guys couuuuuuuld do that, but it's a reaaaallllly bad idea"

Let them play their kingdom fantasies out, come what may.

Yes, I'm just not sure they'll actually want to commit to it.

I'll suck it up and see what happens.

Just looked in the DM's guild trove.
Whoa Nelly, is that "15 new backgrounds" pdf bad
>backgrounds already covered by other official backgrounds
>skills that make no sense with the background
>myriad spelling errors
>backgrounds that have to do with a specific affliction that have nothing to do with skills or proficiencies a player might have.

Is there any background that grants Expertise in Nature?

Asking because the 8 INT Barbarian gleefully asked me (Druid) what my Nature check was; turned out he through some shenanigans had a +5. Didn't have time to ask the GM about it after the session, and didn't want to disrupt the session with rants about bullshit brews either.

Veeky Forums I'm not sure if I finally lost it. I made my party fight a chimera style thing made of a elefant, beaver, turtle hybrid that had a bear arm (and leg) as arm, aswell as a whole shark as arm. One leg replaced with a killer whale, a crocodile as tail, aswell as a human upper body as crotch whip and octopus tentacle nipples.

I'm fearing for my sanity.

>game starting at level one
>rolled 14 13 12 11 7 7

No background offers expertise in anything.

Time to go Moon Druid, then.

That's what you get for rolling stats.

Who's hyped for Plane Shift: Innistrad?

BAKA user.

I solved the rolling for stats connundrum months ago.

Roll 3d20, rerolling anything above 18, or below 6. Do this until you have 3 numbers between 6 and 18.

Now take each of your three numbers, and generate its counterpart by consulting this chart:

Now you should have 6 numbers between 6 and 18. These numbers average 12, and give you 72 total stats. Assign them how you like.

Most DMs would let you reroll with numbers like that.

>rolling 3d6 down the line without allowing several arrays

People still do this? Even Gygax would allow players to roll a couple of arrays and choose the one they wanted.

Something's definitely wrong there if he's got 8 Int and has +5 in nature, assuming you have his stats right. His Barbarian class can give him Nature proficiency, as can the Farmer homebrew background from that pdf, but he shouldn't be at +5 from anything.

>72 total stats
You'd make a killer farmer.

>Roll stats, ignore certain rolls and roll again

Or just roll an array
Or just point buy
But no, come up with some shitty d20 method

Maybe he thought that if he gets the skill both from his class and from his background that he'll get Expertise in it.

Why do anti-rollers always think people roll 3d6 down the line? Without fail, they always bring this shit up. Did you even read the PHB? Are you aware of the rules of this game?

It was 4d6 drop lowest

I'm not even the worst, we have a broken down warforged fighter with 5 int

please let us reroll

I let my players do a point buy from the PHB with 30 points to spend.

Seemed to allow for several variations of good stats.

Die horribly, roll less shit next time.

Rolling an array is not random. That's oxymoronic.

Point buy is not random.

This lets you have random stats, while making sure that every stat roll is at least playable.

I have no idea what this means.

Fuck rerolling, just use point buy like a sane person.

Does a Vengeance Paladin's ability to move after opportunity attacks and the tunnel fighter fighting style allow them to lock down enemies in a "Every 5 feet you move I attack you" loop?

This
This
This
This

We're at lv5, so +5 with 8 INT would be correct if he had expertise. I briefly asked the GM about it during the session and the +5 was indeed what his character had for Nature.
I will try to not throw a shitfit about it, but it's quite annoying when the

Working on my vietnam war campaign

Pic related is the stats i think theyll have

Would adding this property be too op? I want to this ability but idk how to implement it. Id also like advice for rewording it so it reads easier.

Suppressing fire
As a special attack you may use an automatic crossbow to pin down the enemy. Targets in a ¿60? Foot cone must make a wis/cha saving throw or have their speed reduced to 0. Creatures that attempt to move through the area must make a dex saving throw as if they had been attacked by this weapon. Targets take this damage only once per turn.

Tunnel Fighter has always been a poorly thought-out clusterfuck of a fighting style.

No intelligent DM would allow it.

>anti-rollers

But user, I like rolling. It's just that I like rolling 3d6 down the line for three arrays, pick which array you want to use.
On the off chance that you get no array with modifiers totaling more than +3, roll a new array.

>vietnam war campaign
>D&D
You've already fucked up.

P O I N T
B U Y

Mine is allowing all UA articles and I want him to regret it with a polearm master, sentinel, tunnel fighter, vengeance paladin.

Why would the gun suddenly be able to fit more arrows in the clip because the user is more flexible?

If you can't exactly predict the outcome, it's random. Being able to form expectations for the outcome isn't "non-randomness." It's just called statistics.

By the gods. You're a monster!

Are you sure? Where is he getting the bonuses from?

>8 Int = -1
>Proficiency = +3
>That's 2

No one will be safe from my 60 OA's that trigger when pretty much anything moves around me.

They're assuming the dumb Barb has some kind of Expertise in Nature due to a homebrew background.

What? Didn't you say Barbarian?
Expertise is a Rogue only thing

Its going to be fantasy fucking vietnam. Gurps or delta green would work. But its hard enough to find players for 5e in my area thatd a system with no normie name recogintion wont work.
Besides, dragons, ptsd, proxy wars. What could go wrong?

DM asked me to run a 3 session mini-campaign while he lets his head cool down. I realize we've barely got any content yet, and I'll be looking through myself, but are there any recommended nightmares I can put the players through? Short lived and horrifying seems to be the way to go.

Semi-Intelligent but new DM here. I allowed it. I recognize that it is powerful, but the player had gone to a library of ancient secrets and looked up fighting styles, so I figured his level 11 paladin could catch a break and get it.

It hasn't busted the campaign yet or anything, but it is definitely too powerful for lower levels.

This is literally what he's playing right now. I guess I was fortuitous that all the enemies in the encounter after he got tunnelfighter had reach 10 ft.

I'm sorry you have a shitty DM.
I suppose there's no harm in you helping to ruin his ill-considered campaign for him.

Nigga what

I'm not sure what you're not getting about the "homebrew" part.

The path you walk down now has been traveled by many before you, and most of their journeys ended in pain and misery.

Great, now you can make all enemies 10' reach forever.
Swell.

Stop letting people play munchkin combos they've read about in forums.

The best part is the party is a Beastmaster, a Dwarven Rogue and an Elemental Monk.

More accurate use of automatic fire? I couldnt think of a good number of rounds for it to last. Besides at high levels that would screw martials when wizards can meteor swarm. Shooting for 5 rounds of shooting isnt crazy.

Also
>clip???

>We're at lv5, so +5 with 8 INT would be correct if he had expertise.
He shouldn't have expertise. It's as said, no official backgrounds offer "expertise", it's just for Rogues and Bards. No feats I can see offer it either. I'm not even sure it's in the 15 new backgrounds.

Yeah, we've used a system where you can reroll if you don't reach a minimum of sorts. I don't think there's any problem with rolling if you have something like that.

Tell me about Dragonborn and how you roll them, /5eg/.

Down the hill, in a barrel.

Isnt that the point of simulating vietnam?

Well id like to hear some horror stories to avoid what made them bad. And avoid that.

I don't allow them as a DM, and I've never seen them as a player (except as NPCs).

>Isnt that the point of simulating vietnam?
Well shit user, you got me there.

I know there's no official way for it to work, which is why I brought it up when someone mentioned DM's Guild shitbrews.

Then again my GM might just be smoking some really good crack. If so, I just wish he'd share it.

Banned from character creation, same as Halfings and Tiefling Flying variant, (as well as Drow if it's your first or second character)

Why? I've got a munchkin, and he isn't hurting anyone's enjoyment of the campaign. The fun he has in this game is character optimization. I can let him do that and still present challenging encounters for the group.

But no, I won't be tossing exclusively 10ft reach enemies at him.

You've got ranged opponents, knockbacks, traps, invisible sneaky opponents, environmental hazards such as fire, changing environments, and yes, 10ft reach opponents. All of them are useful tools to make a tunnelfighter game interesting still.

It still seems a little wonky to me. If you want to represent accuracy, it already is: less dextrous players will miss more often than more dextrous players.

Did your DM explain where he gets expertise from? If I was any other play I wouldn't give a shit but since you're a damn druid I think it matters

>The fun he has in this game is character optimization.
So a rollplayer. Good for super-casual story-lite games I suppose.

>You've got ranged opponents, knockbacks, traps, invisible sneaky opponents, environmental hazards such as fire, changing environments, and yes, 10ft reach opponents. All of them are useful tools to make a tunnelfighter game interesting still.

Or you can just disallow an unbalanced fighting style, and save yourself all those gymnastics. But hey, it's your game.

So I'm trying to come up with a backstory for a character I've been playing for five levels. I came up with one that I thought was neat, fit the character, and could provide for a lot of interesting conflict later on.

The problem I have is this: the backstory involves him working as a prostitute from the age of 13 to around the age of 17. Now, prostitution is not included among my numerous magical realms, but I'm still wary of using the concept. The reasons are as follows:

>Other players might be slightly uncomfortable. I don't plan on going into any detail, obviously, but that sort of stuff is a pretty sensitive topic.
>I don't know if the DM will take it seriously. In my mind, the experience fucked him up emotionally and is the reason he's so bad at seeming compassionate. I'm afraid the DM might play it off as a joke. Alternatively, the other players might.
>It may be difficult to properly play. I'm not a terrible roleplayer, but complex emotional shit like that is hard to do properly

Should I yolo and go for it, or scrap it and start over?

Making the game fun for my group isn't gymnastics user. It's why I GM.

>The age shifts and bends, finally breaking.
>Ushered in by pounding waves.
>Ushered in by howling winds.
>In the depths of Kummen rages a storm of madness and murder.
>Tradition and convention are consumed in flames,
>Swept like mud out to sea and into the past.
>Tragedy builds upon tragedy,
>Becoming first history and then legend.

>Banned from character creation, same as Halfings and Tiefling Flying variant, (as well as Drow if it's your first or second character)
>Halflings

>I know there's no official way for it to work, which is why I brought it up when someone mentioned DM's Guild shitbrews.
Yeah, I hear you. As bad as I personally feel that pdf is, it's mostly due to clumsy thought processes, not lack of balance. There's nothing in there that grants nature expertise, though there are some backgrounds there that grant Nature proficiency, so it's possible he tried to stack one proficiency on top of another to get expertise, which is not how it's supposed to work. I suggest politely talking to your DM rather than the player about it, and seeing what he says.

Is your magical realm male submission by any chance? Are you gay?

>So I'm trying to come up with a backstory for a character I've been playing for five levels.

Why bother at this point? You clearly didn't care that much to begin with.

>The problem I have is this: the backstory involves him working as a prostitute from the age of 13

Kindly go fuck yourself.

You aren't making the game more fun, you are adding difficulty to counteract a player's broken fighting style.

I am non-straight, but my submissive streak is pretty much non-existent, especially towards guys.

The game started before I had time to come up with anything that good.

Your reaction to the second bit is exactly why I'm wary of doing it. I think it's most likely back to the drawing board. Fuck.

The players seem to disagree. They seemed pretty happy after last night.

What are some interesting character concepts and/or builds you want to try out or would like to do in a campaign? Even if its not optimal, I want to hear just what other players have come up with.

I have a Purple Dragon Knight/Swasshbuckler/Oath of the Crown build that I want to attempt some time.

I think a lot of you won't care for this, but what else should be in E6 for 5e? Its a little bit gestalt-esque because I think thats interesting, so... ignore that part if you hate that idea. Its explained in the second paragraph.

It simply seems that adding circumstances to fights to counter-act a character's broken ability is counter-productive.
Me, I try to run encounters that accentuate the party's skills and strengths, and make them look exceptionally heroic.

You are allowing in a guy who makes all his weapons do an extra 1d8 flame damage, but hey it's ok because I just have them fight fire elementals, red dragons and druids with elemental resistance.

spider druid grappling man.
Waterbending monk, that uses that one power to shape water to great effect.

Why would anyone actually use this?

Because the DM probably had a bad experience with some halfling players and now doesn't trust them. Similarly, I don't allow people to play Humans for either their 1st, third, or 5th character because everyone who played a human at my table turned out later to be a diaper fur.

Stop playing with fuckwits.

Are you the guy who refuses to DM for single people because you're afraid of magical realm stuff?

Are you asking me why anyone would use E6, or you know what E6 is and you're asking me why someone would use E6 with 5e?

I'm asking why this has been cooked up to begin with, and why anyone should bother with it.

Is this some misguided attempt to "fix" 5e? Because that won't go anywhere.
If it is, stop being a lazy fuck and make your own OC.

well okay read about E6 1d4chan.org/wiki/Epic6 and then ask me question

Sup /5e/?

Do you expect every warlock to have Hex as part of their prepared spell list? If a warlock doesn't have Hex, does that set off a red flag for you?

Just some curious questions.

No, I refuse to DM for couples, because they always turn out to be giving each other handies under the table. Also people named Paul who also happen to be left handed. Every Paul I know that had a dominant left hand later turned out to be a Garbage Pail Kids fetishist.

The point is that DMs always seem to build up super weird assumptions over the years about random shit because somehow they've managed to have multiple bad experiences with entirely reasonable characters and concepts.

>Similarly, I don't allow people to play Humans for either their 1st, third, or 5th character because everyone who played a human at my table turned out later to be a diaper fur.

No dragonborn, no tieflings. Half-orcs only under extenuating circumstances.

Ok, it's what I thought, I won't bother you further.

>His Barbarian class can give him Nature proficiency, as can the Farmer homebrew background from that pdf, but he shouldn't be at +5 from anything.
Just a reminder that literally any other Background can also grant Nature, because being able to swap out background skills, tools/languages, and features is a baseline rule of the game.

You're being really silly user. That's the tl;dr.

Now for the (condescending, because I feel bad for you) post on GM theory (and hopefully, some reading comprehension)

GMing is ultimately about fun. Balance is out the window when you have the power to balance things on the fly for your group. In fact, the only concern balance wise that you should really have is keeping your players on roughly the same level so they all have a roughly equal part to play in the story you are fleshing out with them.

This player is really good at controlling groups of enemies with no range. That doesn't mean the only thing I throw at him has to be things he's good against. A game with no challenge generally isn't fun. Especially for a charop guy, they need a difficult game to feel good about how they succeeded. At least in my experience.

So let's take a note of things I haven't said, but you assumed, and really work on your reading comprehension issues: I haven't said that the only things I'll throw at the party are things that screw up tunnelfighter. I haven't said that the only thing I'll do is throw reach 10 ft guys at the party. I've just said that as GM, I still have numerous tools to present a challenging encounter for him.

I haven't said I'm going to try and stop him from feeling heroic. No, he can stop a lot of monsters from reaching his buddy, and even though people had reach 10 on him, he was still able to keep the low HP cleric from getting hit by a lot more people.

Now let's get back to equal footing: All of the players received powerful rewards in the secret library. All of them had awesome contributions to the fight last night. Almost all of them died last night too.

The game was balanced, it was fun, and tunnelfighter didn't ruin that. Hopefully someday if you GM, you'll stop being so concerned about game balance, and learn how to just intuitively balance things around what your players want to do. It's a good skill to pick up user.

Thats okay I know its not for everyone.

I think every warlock should strongly consider hex. But if its not your thing its not your thing.

This is true. I always make someone play their own gender for the first campaign so I can make sure they're not a wacko. I also don't let someone play a kid unless I know them real well. Also a bit kitsune-shy though I'll usually let it slide if it's their second or third character.