Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

>tfw your new party is astonished killing people has consequences

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

geekindustrialcomplex.com/downloads/files-page/handyhaversackpackv1.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1
discord.gg/Du6EH
docs.google.com/document/d/1H3wuQkHv6CBBbXHe229TMv-pEYB9HshPOzSFIYT6bQk/edit?usp=sharing
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/48524/a-world-of-darkness-gestalt-sandbox-adventure
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How's your game going so far /pfg/? Any storytimes?

It starts in 20 minutes and I'm scared goddamn shitless, but also excited.

So what I'm hearing is that you're basically playing co-op Highlander? Last man standing and all that. I'm guessing the 'only reason' bit also implies the potential for PVP?

Are you the GM?

As a player, how do you handle loot? It seems complicated and that it would involve a lot of math.

Usually you have someone appraise any non-gp loot, or identify magic items, and compile that as a money figure, assuming you can sell it. Most people will take jewels and jewelery etc as being essentially money anyways.

>Stop liking what I don't like!
I'm aware. There are some who watch it, though. They're the ones I asked.

Thing is, my GM throws out bonus feats like candy, to the point where it's legitimately the better option to take the extra +2 rather than the human extra feat. I honestly wouldn't lose much from taking the VMC.

I'll ask about taking INT. It's a sidegrade, for sure.

How many people in /pfg/ are desperate for a game and would want to play low level mythic adventures? I'm gauging interest. The plan of the campaign is political strife on the boarder between an empire and a crumbling set of city states, the party being part of one of three mercenary companies (that they choose during session 0). The party receives their mythic sparks in the opening scene and are thrust into a war they didn't know existed.

The reason the party members have to stick together and keep going at all is their mythic sparks. All mythic power is garnered by killing and consuming other creature's mythic sparks, so people will be coming for them whether they like it or not. Opportunistic demi-gods looking for weak prey.

The mercenary companies will be where most NPCs are drawn from, allies and companions for the PCs as they navigate the world.

Some things that would need to be known:
>we're not using standard races, instead there are humans plus a number of homebrew ones (two are human offshoots, three are not)
>25PB
>I'm fine with 3rd part content, and am experienced with DSP. I however reserve the right to veto anything, 3rd part or no, for being too dumb.
>would start at level 1/mythic 1
>some spells are simply not in the game, I will provide a full list before character creation. Some high profile ones are most forms of resurrection magic & spells that replicate other spells (I'm looking at you shadow evocation). Another is stuff like Planar Binding and similar spells are edited due to planar communication/travel being very dangerous & rare. This is partially balancing since planar binding is very easily abused, and partially for setting reasons.

I'd be down.

>So what I'm hearing is that you're basically playing co-op Highlander? Last man standing and all that. I'm guessing the 'only reason' bit also implies the potential for PVP?
Yes. Early on PvP is less viable because there is a chance you won't get a usable spark out of it (smaller the spark the higher the chance it burns out upon the user's death). However you can nurture and ensure party members become ripe for the harvest later. That and there are a limited number of sparks to go around.

Posted more info Another this is we'd be using the Background Skills system, and a homebrewed replacement for base fighter (I need the version play tested). That and everyone would receive Deific Obedience at level 1 if they so choose for a god in setting, or if not they can elect for a different feat from a small list (including Skill Focus).

>Skill Focus (Sense Motive)
>As a Scarlet Throne User

Yes, excellent, where can I sign up?

Yes, I am the GM.

You'll do great, just have fun.

What are you doing on Veeky Forums you nigger
There's always some last minute prep that you could be doing, get inspired

So how far down can a Folding Bridge fold? How big is it unfolded?

What I'm saying is, if my Oracle can already do the Bridge of Moonlight, is it worth it to carry one anyway?

I am. I'm listening to music, doing tokens, fixing up the map, and going over note shit. I'm just also here shitposting because I feel like I'm gonna vomit.

I kicked and replaced a player for metagaming the entire AP. he then blocked me on every form of social media thinking I had some personal agenda against him.

Is there a good list of non-magical gear that everyone should have?

I don't want shit like earplugs and candle wax, but things like "bedroll" and "50ft of rope"?

Is there a similar list of magical gear?

How many off-the-rails encounters do you have prepared that you can adapt to happen wherever the PCs go?

Get yourself a beer or a shot. One. You don't want to be drunk, just loose enough to start talking. Trust me, once you start, the momentum is self-sustaining.

Hey, go look in the Trove under Cryptosnark Games.

The Book of Distinctions and Drawbacks has been re-uploaded to the up-to-date version, with a full 73 pages of content worth of drawbacks, advantages, trait-like things, and a shitloaad of stuff. It helps flesh out characters, and gives some decent mechanical options.

geekindustrialcomplex.com/downloads/files-page/handyhaversackpackv1.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

I will never stop plugging the Handy Haversack Pack. 2k for the Haversack, 1185 GP for the gear. It's gotten me out of more than a few scrapes.

I'm this GM. Follow this Discord link and you'll be able to get to general & applicants. I'll sticky a post in general sometime today with the necessary setting information and character creation stuff. In general you can ask questions, then post character sheet in applications.

>discord.gg/Du6EH

Likely will be at least 1-2 days before the necessary documents get up there.

Zero, but I basically just make shit up on the fly outside of a vague outline.

Should have some of its contents changed for a Traveler's Any Tool.

Traveler's Any Tool, Handy Haversack, Marvelous Pigment, Tengu's Drinking Jug. There needs to be more qualify of life magic items.

This the most important advice. Have a pile of story-agnostic encounters, at least a half-dozen to start with. (And I don't just mean combat encounters; traps are encounters, puzzles are encounters, even social interaction can be encounters. Reward XP and loot accordingly.)

As you DM, you'll have encounters prepped that the PCs never even go near. That's fine! That's good! That means you can take that wonderfully hand-crafted encounter and add it to your pile, so when you need something like that encounter again in the future, it's already there waiting.

When your players go somewhere you didn't expect them to, sure, you can just make something up, but it won't be as good as if you'd already had something prepared (and let's be real, the players are often blown away by how you had that area they thought they were gonna stump you with "prepped").

Players WILL go off the rails, and making up encounters off the top of your head is death.

Once more, since I got a lot of good critique last time, and I need something else to doo while coming down from the painkillers the dentist game me when getting my fillings today

From the user who brought you Blood Reaver and Seneschal, comes the Lord of the Lash, an Initiating Swashbuckler Archetype specializing in whips, chains, flails, and other such lash-like weapons. Inspired by characters such as Zorro, the Belmonts, Ivy, Axl Low, and many others.

docs.google.com/document/d/1H3wuQkHv6CBBbXHe229TMv-pEYB9HshPOzSFIYT6bQk/edit?usp=sharing

Critique, changes, ideas, comments, criticisms, and overall input of any kind is appreciated and considered.

I cannot feel the right side of my face.

Which AP was it?

Iron Gods.

Are you that DM from the roll20 campaign that always seems to be in lfg?

Nope.

We're just starting a new campaign, had our Session 0 to settle backstories, motivations, etc., and going to start the game proper next weekend. Group is as follows:

>Half-Jiang-shi dhampir who turned to loud rock music to rebel (Skald)
>Some kind of rabbit-y battle maid (Vigilante)
>A snake lady in search of a stolen artifact (Naga Aspirant Druid)
>Halfling fortune teller/grave robber on the run from the law (Relic Channeler Medium)
>!notRugby player who's just a man with a man's courage (Shield Champion Brawler)

Apparently the game will turn Mythic at some point; never used Mythic rules before, so I'm kind of excited. GM seemed a little nonplussed by our party, though.

Hey guys... anyone got an open spot in a game?

I'm 99% sure Pathfinder games don't actually happen and are only myths.

You'd be wrong!

Most of them are just run face-to-face.

I wish I could do that. My new place isn't big enough to fun games in. Living in the big city is kinda shit.

They certainly feel that way.

I'm in two one-on-one non-pathfinder games, because scheduling has become harder and harder.

One of my friend's almost decade-long cosmology spanning about a dozen parties/campaigns recently wrapped up spoiler alert: reality ended

The other one...sucks at commitment. I enjoy him GMing, but damn if it isn't hard to get some of them to agree on a day. I'm 90% certain one campaign is dead, and pretty confident the other will be delayed so often I'll have to leave again.

Do 'em at a local library, then. S'what I do.

Does the vigilante actually work for making a fear-based Batman-like character? I'm looking over it for the first time and its intimidation-related features seem heavily conditional, overly late in level, and unimpressive in effect, all at once. Am I missing something or is that pretty much it?

Well you can do it with a Rogue.

There is nothing near me. The library is the giant one across town. I live in the middle of the business district.

Play at a park, or out on a lawn, or at one of your players' homes then

Going for strictly martial characters, rogues with archetypes (there's more than one for it) can be phenominal at intimidation (and then even better with Unchained), until immunities start happening everywhere. Only antipaladins and dreads can function as fear-inflictors against immunities.

Main group finally finished the first arc, now we're going to have a downtime session to prep for the next arc and get all our shit in order, buy some stuff, maybe everyone will give me a list of stuff to craft. I've been having trouble getting into character the past few sessions, but that's partly because we've had to cancel so many sessions I'm kind of thrown for a loop.

A side 1-on-1 game has been kill for months and I have heard no word on whether it's ever actually going to start back up. I'm going to have to hazard a guess that it won't, since I found out the GM started one with someone else without telling me.

>immunities start happening everywhere. Only antipaladins and dreads can function as fear-inflictors against immunities.
So in order for a *noncaster* to actually be functional as Batman, he must become Joker-level evil?

Well, apparently there's a Black Seraph style feat that can break fear immunity.

Hi /pfg/, a player in my campaign would like to make an intelligent book that basically can either "eat" other books, or display their information after some sort of copying period from direct contact. Things like magical traps, contact poisons or curses would be copied as well. Are there exploits or immediate problems that come to mind from a PC having an item like this, or something similar you've seen in your own games?

Dreads aren't evil, necessarily. Plus there are antipaladin archetypes that allow you to use different alignments, like the LE tyrant.

That too but you don't get to bypass immunity until 11.

Dreads aren't noncasters.

>lawn
literally no lawns, and the closes park is 6 blocks away, and if we played at night we'd probably get mugged. Player's house is best bet.

It's more that it's a lot easier to be batman when you operate in a city that's mostly populated by humans and not full of demons and undead and shit.

I would do just books. If he copies a contact poison it saves it as a poisoned page. It can't make extra copies, it should consume the poison.

Can you get the aforementioned Black Seraph style feat as a single-classed Thug or Rake rogue? I think 11th level is okay for penetrating fear, it's the prevalence of immune creatures at around that level that makes it needed.

My apologies, I meant contact poisons on a page in the book, not just copying a vat of poison. It would indeed still have the copied version of the page trapped as well. Any given book can only be copied once as well.

I think you can, for some reason black seraph stance doesn't actually require the ability to perform maneuvers.

I'm in a group with really good friends, and we trash talk each other both normally and in character.

Sometimes people would do stuff that'll piss people off but this'll be resolved by the end either through talking in game as roleplaying or in real life. No one really holds a grudge.

Are we in the norm or a minority?

Ah nevermind, I'm retarded, you need a stance from Black Seraph before you can take BSS, it would cost a lot of feats to qualify I think

Norm as far as trash talking goes. We frequently joke about how unintentionally edge or weeb each other's characters are.

We don't do things in game to piss each other off, though, only when such things would already be incharacter. Resolving that in RP is one thing, but I have gone into PVP a handful of times. Only successfully killed a PC once, though.

BLACK SERAPH STYLE (COMBAT, STYLE)
You laugh off the cowardly assaults of your foes.
Prerequisites: Intimidate 3 ranks, one Black Seraph stance known.
Benefit: You gain a +1 profane bonus to your AC and on saving throws against the abilities of creatures that are shaken, frightened, panicked, or cowering. This bonus increases by +1 at character level 5th and at every five levels thereafter.

BLACK SERAPH’S MALEVOLENCE (COMBAT)
You rip into creatures that cannot withstand your terror.
Prerequisites: Black Seraph Style, Intimidate 7 ranks.
Benefit: You treat creatures that are shaken, frightened, panicked, or cowering as being good-aligned for the purpose of dealing profane damage to them.

BLACK SERAPH ANNIHILATION (COMBAT)
You drive your foes before you.
Prerequisites: Black Seraph Style, Black Seraph’s Malevolence, Intimidate 11 ranks.
Benefit: Creatures within 30 feet of can be affected by fear effects even if they are normally immune to fear. Creatures within 30 feet of you that are normally immune to mind-affecting effects can still be affected by fear effects, although they gain a +5 resistance bonus on saves against such effects.

And you'd need, what, Martial Training I and Martial Training II to pick up a Black Seraph stance to qualify for the first feat? Unless there's an easier way for a non-initiator to get a stance. Might not be worth it.

I just looked it up and I happened to pass by the Rogue initiator archetype. It would be compatible with Thug or Rake (which each only replace Trapfinding and Trap Sense), so it looks like PoW:E would be a full solution, long as you take the trait for a swapped discipline.

I've been really looking hard for a Gestalt game. I've had a character knocking about my head I've really wanted to play.

It sucks that it's so hard finding one.

They're also not Pathfinder

There's a Pathfinder Gestalt game recruiting on Roll20 right now.

Oh mang, I'll give it a look.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/48524/a-world-of-darkness-gestalt-sandbox-adventure

d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread

They probably meant 1st party.

>app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/48524/a-world-of-darkness-gestalt-sandbox-adventure
>no paladins
Damn the concept has was Chosen One Paladin/Destined Bloodrager. Might still apply.

Wizards, Clerics, any class/archetype that uses guns, Summoners, Zen Archers, Monks of Four Winds, Paladins and Arcanist aren’t allowed

>Also they complain about having no healer.

Alright, so I understand Wizard, Cleric and Arcanist, and guns can clash with settings, but why the hate for Summoners, MoFW, Zen Archers and bloody Paladins of all things?

>We don't have a healer
>We're banning all the classes that have useful healing

I mean technically Life Oracles are still on the table, they just seem to really hate prep casters.

But yeah, they've narrowed it down to basically the one class.

Seriously, why fucking paladins? It's a goddamn fun class when played properly, and isn't overpowered in the least unless you're fighting literally "always evil" creatures, in which case that's what the class is goddamn designed for.

PALADINS ARE ANTI-FUN: THE CLASS.

LAWFUL GOOD IS BORING LIKE DAD, BE CHAOTIC GOOD SPUNKY REBELS AND FIGHT THE SYSTEM.

Boring, maybe, but unstoppable.

I'm pretty sure it's the best designed 'martial' converted for Pathfinder. I know they're half casters, but they're basically still front fighters.

That system's the reason why it's safe for you to walk down the street to your coffee shops, ya darn kids! Now go finish your homework!

what is the best spell, and why is it prestidigitation?

>LAWFUL GOOD IS BORING LIKE DAD, BE CHAOTIC GOOD SPUNKY REBELS AND FIGHT THE SYSTEM.
paying taxes builds character better than you do

There's always Oracle.

user, did you forget about unnatural lust?

LotLK game picked up in a street brawl where the Rogue was going unarmed against a big old half-orc Brawler. This was before the party remembered the Rogue had a negative strength modifier and didn't have dex to damage with unarmed strikes, despite being the only qualified unarmed combatant in the party (besides the kitsune who had claws which might have been counted as cheating). Eventually he got hit (Snake Style stronk) which revealed that the half-orc was cheating when the Rogue started bleeding out. So the party started cheating and feinting against the half-orc, which boosted the damage output by a ton before the half-orc gave up and ran off. Then the party ran into a very touchy aspis agent with no boundaries who invited the party to her room/personal sauna/bath to talk business while she got all up on the Warder (provoking jealousy from the Kitsune).

Neutral Good master race. I can just go around being a nice person and saving people and making the world a better place and I don't have to get all autistic about standing up to the man or filing paper work in triplicate. I can just be a hero. That's why i'm at the table, right, to be a hero? No need to go and make it complicated.

>make people want to fuck their sword
>doesn't include the standard caveat for 'obviously dangerous or suicidal actions are forbidden'

What about lawful good makes you think paperwork?

You realise it's not about 'just wanting to be good', those alignments just disagree what 'good' actually is. Their ideals look different.

I personally prefer a system that is accountable, responsible and dedicated to the well-being of the citizenry. Rather than a NG/CG of...'hey I hope it works out without guidance'

>Touchy Aspis agent with no boundaries
>Invited the party to her room/personal sauna/bath

Quite the plot hook.

Every other sentence was an innuendo, some more blatant than others.

>not matchmaker
It's like you don't like instigating NTR.

>my setting's warfare includes iconic european full plate knights, but also has not even developed matchlock rifles that's too futuristic lol

>eyes closed
>cleric is liking what she sees, almost licking her lips

Hmm.

>mfw my setting's warfare has iconic European full plate knights and muskets
>mfw some places even have proper rifles

Didn't firearms essentially render full plate useless and therefore not cost effective?

>my setting is in the 1300s with wizards and cannons coexisting, but none of the cannons are flying

No. There was a time when guns took so goddamn long to reload that they coexisted happily with melee combat and even archery, each playing unique roles in the battlefield.

>Didn't firearms essentially render full plate useless
not for an extremely long time

ask in song of swords or historical wargames threads

Okay, /pfg/, I'm trying to make the Ultimate Lawful Good Shitlord as a premade character for the Adventure Path I'm working on.

So far, he's:
>Noble (As in, self sacrificing and Lawful Good)
>A Fucking White Male
>Born into privilege
>Graduated top of his class from the Schola Magisterium (College)
>Captain of the sports team (Sword Fighting)
>Joined the military upon graduation
>Served with honor until a scumbag politician used him as a fall guy for her security leaks.

My only question is, do I go Warlord or Warder with him, and should he be Strength or Dex heavy? I'm mostly leaning towards Strength Heavy if only because that's the more traditionally masculine trait.

The other party members are going to be a Mystic chick with a Wallflower personality type, a True Neutral Dwarven Stalker/Assassin, and an Archer who takes whichever class this guy doesn't (either going Hawkguard, or straight Warder). They've all been exiled for their "crimes", though only the Stalker was truly guilty, having assassinated a minor noble.

By this I mean they DID, but not for a very long time; there were hundreds of years of advancements made upon firearm development that led to it.

To keep a very long post very short, yes. By the time of muskets, at least.

But I like giving my players options, and taking the standard Primitive Firearms stats and upgrading them to make guns a bit more competitive does wonders for gunslingers.

Plus, I fucking adore long rifles.

Plus plus, the fact rifles and muskets are inherently superior to full plate is an actual plot point for the most recent campaign, and the party is given the chance to either preserve feudalism or help usher in a new age of warfare.

>A fucking white male
>Born into privilege

Did you have a stroke or just write the same thing twice, user?

I'd say warlord 2hander strength, just for the big blonde swordfighting team leader. Though some people like Zweihander, either would work.

She's annoyed because they're supposed to be the token lesbian couple but Merisiel's bisexuality allows her to enjoy being held by a big, strong (positive STR modifier) Fighter. Having to wait for your partner to buff up before sexy time kills the mood.

Although the "bullets pierce all armor automatically, eat touch attacks bitch" mentality is kinda odd mechanically.

There is, for example, no good reason some basic bitch with an old battered pistol that fires normal-ass lead bullets should be able to penetrate the defenses of the dude covered head to toe in magical adamantine.

Most unexplored time for mage battles is with mounted cavalry that had rifles and sabres and light armor.

Then machineguns brought about shitty trench warfare.