How do we make horses viable in ttRPGs?

How do we make horses viable in ttRPGs?

What game?

Spend significant amounts of time in places horses can navigate, I guess.

OP's just meming. It doesn't really matter.

Subtitute them for motorcycles or other motorized vehicle.

>setting is large enough that travel time matters.
>magic is not common enough to be primary mean of travel

Done, they already are.

Just like modern times. We had the ability to travel on the Concord, the fastest commercial vehicle ever made but it was not profitable.

Some peopel are forced to cross the country by car, motorcycle or even bus while the affluent are able to do so by plane.

viable, op? as... players?

set up the folding table next to their stall. glad i could help with your problem, OP

depends on the setting

>horses as players

"So okay guys, here's my idea for the next game. Your characters are going to be sentient horses who are, themselves, playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Whose with me?"

Well all the players do is horse around anyway, so might as well...

"I'm not really into that MLP stuff"

I say "neigh" and hoof it out of there as fast as I can.

What if the setting was a horse?

"Where's Ed? Has anybody seen Ed? Don't tell me he's going to be late again."

"Ed's dead baby, Ed's dead."

Smaller hexes and larger minis, give every weapon a range and apply speed bonuses

The only limitation is terrain and investment.

You want to make players panic? Have them encounter mounted enemies in an open field and see what they do. Outside of the worse D&D editions they will be limited in what they can do to overcome it.

>the worse D&D editions
Which ones are you referring to?

Pathfinder.

Make being mounted as hideously OP as it was IRL. Of course then only being mounted is viable for PCs and that will booty bamboozle even more people.

I know 3.5/Pathfinder makes mounted combatants completely useless, and I have heard 4e does (but I don't know first hand). Both require a significant investment and winds up no better than just not using a mount.

5e makes you much more mobile and even without the feat you can use a lance and be solid enough, and older editions give huge bonuses to mounted attack damage from what I have heard.

I only know 3.pf makes mounted combat a joke, but I hedged my bets.

>then only being mounted is viable for PCs
Outside of dungeons, yeah. But plenty of action in D&D happens in places a horse won't go anyway, so it's probably fine to make them OP in open battle situations.

Underrated post

give them more HP than humans and they lvl up with the characters.
they are 1500 pound animals. having less HP than a human is retarded