Guild Ball General

Guild Ball General: First of many edition

>What is Guild Ball
Guild Ball is a 30mm skirmish game featuring medieval mob football produced by Steam Forge games. The same people making the Dark Souls board game.

>Rules. All rules are up for free including the individual models
steamforged.com/resources/

>How to play
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRosiamZQJZSZEpNH5W1yHe1QcdlVJvkH

>Information on how to pick a faction
ozball.club/2016/01/new-to-guild-ball/

Other urls found in this thread:

diceotfirstdegree.blogspot.com/2016/07/vassal-for-guildball-getting-started.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Topic to get the ball rolling: Who do you think is the best mascot?

Salt, and Dirge are really close. The Hunters one is great if they take Zarola.

Egret for best girl

Marbles for me. Hes got great plays, makes Honour hit like a truck, and also is a baboon.

>Playing Morts vs Masons
>Obbys face when Marbles pumps Honour and he gets his teeth knocked out of his face

Here's a different image for the next general, OP

10/10

>The fucking sombrero on the ball

First new Farmer team model shown, Tater. What do you guys think?

I'm a little disappointed with it being the farmers guild. I'll wait and see how they play first but overall I'm just not sure that I'm going to like their aesthetic.

Supposedly the next guild is going to be templars.

>Templars
Goddamn it, I want my Doctor Barbers! Oh well, Tater is a goddamn hunk though.

Waifu for ants.

Don't like his animeesque eyes. I like the old art where it's scratchy and everyone is squinty

YFW turns out the templars are fat monks

How thicc we talkin?

I like Blood Bowl. What GB does better, what it does worse?

Overall I would say gb is a lot more fluid. There were I few things in bb that I personally wasn't a fan of. Like the fact that the you take turns activating everything then you're opponent goes and activates anything. GB on the other hand is an I go you go game, like malifuax. It gives you a chance to respond to your opponents plan.

The factions are also a lot more distinct. While there is some faction diversity in BB, like wood elves being agi 4, a lot of the difference aren't quite as pronounced as say butchers vs fishermen, an extreme example, or even the difference between fishermen and engineers, who are probably the most kick focused factions.

There's a few more points that I prefer over bb but I need to finish getting ready for work. I'll try to post them later.

How much do I have to put of my pocket to get started on GB? are starters enough for newbs or should also look for some extra minis?

Farmers? oh holy fuck I'm so excited now

Like, 100$ max, for all the models in your faction, and faction specific dice. Online, you can get a pitch of your choice for 30$. Also, checked.

So 50-50 if I want a two players set right? sounds about fair.

I asked in the other thread for what purpose are the plot cards and the campain deck that are being shown in the shop?

Those are for campaigns. You basically get them, and can buy favors, or use cards for little in game effects. For example, one nets you 1 free momentum at the start of the next turn, if your Mascot is removed from the field that turn. A good 2 player match up, is Butchers and Fishermen, if you were looking for ideas.

Why Butchers against Fishermen?

One team focused on killing, one focused on scoring.

Fishermen also score the easiest which means more points, but they also die the easiest and Butchers have a chance to catch up as a result.

just one thing to note. The plot cards are separate from the campaign cards. At the start of the game you shuffle the cards and hand five to each player. Each player than picks three to keep and can play them through out the game. They have conditions for when you can play them like lose the initiative and then you get some thing like 2 momentum.

Where do I go to see actual GB models as opposed to renders only?

They show the extreme side of gameplay where it's primarily shooting and primarily killing.

The renders are actually really faithful to the casts. I was blown away by the quality and ease of assembly when I put my team together the other day. The only difference will be minimal casting lines, but even for showcased models online they'll have already smoothed those.

1. I'm not asking for showcase specifically, some mass-unboxer like Gmorts' site for Malifaux would be even better.
2. They're still relatively new and I'm not paying above-average price for mini sight unseen.

Fuck me sideways, Gmorts does GB too. Never mind.

Are there any guides on how to play Hunters out there yet?

Every Hunters team I've seen thus far has had Avarisse and Greede and while I understand the insane value of an extra activation, I absolutely hate the models.

I don't play hunters so I can't really say, but personally I'm not a fan of A&G. The extra activation is nice, but greede just seems way to squishy. Def 6 with avarice near by is nice but if greede uses crazy then 1 hit will generally be enough to kill him.

If I were to run hunters I would use Theron, fahad (no choice in these two), egret, hearne, jaecar, and probably seenha.

Pretty much you'd want Theron to lock down key models with his goad ability and auto snares. Use his woods to either block the enemies from getting los to you, limit their mobility by forcing them through rough terrain, or setting up a jump for hearne. Throw blessing on either egret or hearne. Egrets probably the best though. Seenha is going to be the big threat in the middle hopefully attacking a snared target and drawing the enemies attention. Jaecar and hearne should be tacking out targets on the side of seenha and where ever they can get them before jumping away. Egret should flurry into big groups for a lot of damage and poison. Hopefully get the ball and use her dodging to get close to the goal. And fahad should charge when able.

A&G have their uses as a Goal Keeper and stealth activation.

If they both activated at the same time it would make me less iffy about them. It just grinds my gears that the activations build up over the game.

Hunters player here, what do you want to know?

Trying to come up with a masons scheme. Anyone got any ideas, or inspiration?

How to actually win with them.

I tried killy but it's not working.

Scoring means I can't get into position. I played two very killy teams, so that probably has more to do with shaping what Im trying to do with them.

Whats your team look like? You have Seenah?

Starter 6.

I'm trying to get a handle of how Steamforged wants me to play them since the other starters do a good job at that.

I own the entire range for Hunters though. Seenah has seen table time once and was destroyed because I used him as the first attacker...seems a bit more of a cleaner.

Bumpo

Stoked to see a /gbg/ up

Trying to decide how to base my Fisherman, I'm thinking docks using coffee stir sticks painted up with some sort of deep blue below, but Im not totally sure

These are looking like they're coming along great user

bumpin

Brewers best faction. Engineers a close second.

I just started and my buddy is loving the brewers, but when he plays against my fish it just kinda feels like he can't stop me. Help an user out?

So.... how the fuck do you play with Scalpel?

Can I do her influence moving ability even if there's no models to move the influence to?

I feel like isolating and stripping influence from people with cosset pull and Scalpel stabbing might be good if possible.

Some combination of focusing on me person of the field at a time, like shark. And possibly using staves barrel to control where they go as well as knock them down for everyone else.

Sharks going to get the first goal if They receive. It's hard to stop. So just setup to beat the crap out of him.

Oh and the setup you need is to take out two players on the retaliation run.

Goals give you 4, kills give you 2. Fisherman can get goals just by yawning and momentum just by stretching,so you need to hit hard and hit fast to make sure they can't heal any of the hard knocks and actually pay for their otherwise stupidly easy goal game.

ya pretty much what he said. But one other important fact, and this is important for most teams that focus on beating someone up. Make sure you end turn one with a good amount of momentum. You want to shot for 4 or so momentum so you can go first. That way you can load up your beaters to go in one of their important players. Usually you can tell where they'll put the majority of their influence, like on a captain. So on your first activation send whoever you feel can either kill it seriously maim them. If you can successfully kill them you're now playing 4-6 influence up, sitting on a good chunk of momentum and have an additional activation.

For game play? Marbles, then Coin, then Fahad, then Scum.

>Salt
Jesus Christ what a worthless piece of shit. W2B tentacles.

follow up to this. so if I can only use half of the ability, does the ability fizzle out completely or can I still just use the parts applicable?

QUAFF
>QUAFF
QUAFF

So, let's talk Hunters.

>Theron
Theron is the glue that holds the Hunters together. I have never seen the Hunters win in a game where Theron gets taken out; he's just that critical. Protect him at all costs. In general Theron is often your first activation of the turn and likes to use 5-6 influence to do ranged attacks. What does Theron do for the team?

1. Sun Strike. Sun Strike isn't something that you like to use, as it is inefficient and often fails, but it's a necessary evil. Theron will frequently need to be your first activation and will be plinking character plays at the opponent, and as such he needs to generate momentum in order to Bless someone at the end of his turn. Sun Striking himself is therefore something you should do before taking your Pinned or Arrow the Knee shot if you don't already have momentum. Sun Striking Hearne is also frequently a good play, for the same exact reason. I'm lukewarm about Sun Striking the other models in your team unless that influence is going to go to waste. Do note that you *can* Sun Strike a model with GB character plays, such as Jaecar and Seenah, and make those plays generate extra momentum. Also note that it does *not* work with anything that doesn't explicitly target an enemy model -- e.g. Hemlocke's Noxious Blast.

2. Pinned & Arrow to the Knee. Pinned is fantastic -- goad, 2 damage and snare is amazing for 3 influence. Ideally you should pin a target with lots of influence and then move in such a way that they can't reach Theron. Note that your opponent will spend a momentum to clear snare if it lets them reach Theron and not waste the influence, so don't figure the snare too heavily into your measurements.

Arrow to the Knee is half a Smashed Shins and at range that's disgusting. It also comes with 2 damage and a snare. Half the time I find myself using it just for the damage and snare, but preemptively hitting their striker with this at the start of the turn can really mess things up.

3. A surprisingly solid playbook. You never want to charge Theron into melee, but he often ends up in melee anyways because he's such a high priority target for the opponent. In these cases, with a little support from say Hearne, Jaecar, or Avarisse then Theron can become a serious melee monster. He's like a Brewer in that the first half of his playbook is meh but the last half is loaded with great stuff. Like I said, don't charge the guy in, but let your opponent slowly come to you -- and then punish them.

4. Blessing of the Sun Father. You know, that thing you're playing Hunters to use. Blessing is obviously amazing and should be used in every single situation which you believe it will be consumed. Here's my order of priority for Blessing, both for Theron and Hearne:

>1. Theron
-- A free Pinned is disgusting, allows him to more easily generate momentum to use his Blessing
>2. Hearne
-- A free Skewered is also great, and like Theron allows him to more easily generate momentum to use his Blessing
>3. Chaska
-- Boom Box is not limited to once per turn. A fully loaded Chaska with a Blessing can Boom Box the same character three times in a row for 12 damage. And even if he isn't loaded, suddenly opening up the ability to Boom Box can screw your opponent's plans.
>4. Zarola
-- If you put influence on her, then Blessing lets her use both abilities and set up a great Fahad turn. If you didn't put influence on her then a Blessing lets her use Midnight Offering and not just be worthless this turn.
>5. Egret / Hemlocke with 0-1 influence
>6. Egret / Hemlocke with 2+ influence
-- Their abilities are great, but I rarely find it super efficient to overload them unless you have an explicit plan. Egret should always be trying to drop a Flurry, and Hemlocke should always be wanting to Smelling Salts, so I usually find them with 2 influence anyways and a Blessing on top of that isn't so hot. If you didn't put 2 on them then they're more attractive, though.

Has anyone tried playing through roll20

>Fahad
Fahad is one of the best mascots in the game, and that's mainly because he can do a load of damage and generate a significant amount of momentum without spending any influence. I have personally seen Fahad do 8 damage and generate 3 momentum off 0 influence. However, despite his 5+ Def he often ends up dead due to be exposed and misused.

The main trick to Fahad is going late in one turn and then early in the next. The late turn is the payoff turn -- you have him charge a snared target, ideally one with a friendly model providing a Ganging Up bonus and often you like to Bonus Time! the charge for the extra die. This gives Fahad a 7 to 9 die charge, on a target that is down a Def due to snare, and he frequently ends up getting one if not two wraps. Noting that his Isolated Target ability gives +1 damage to each individual playbook result you'll note that a 4 success result will deal 5 damage, generate 1 momentum, and give him a 1" dodge. 5 successes gives another momentum and another 1" dodge, 6 gives another point of damage, and 7 is a double wrap. Fahad gets super degenerate super fast, with the right support. If Hearne or Avarisse had previously Singled Out the target then it gets even more disgusting. Make sure to charge the full 1" away from the target and dodge out of your target's melee zone, such that next turn you are not engaged.

Next turn, then, you activate him early and either you just run Fahad back into safety, or, if you put an influence on him he can drop Nimble on himself and charge a new target. Being exposed isn't nearly so dangerous if he's 6+ Def, after all.

>Jaecar
Jaecar is the Hunter's all time MVP. Guy is a goddamn monster. Jaecar likes to lurk on the flanks, devours influence (always put 4 on him outside of turn 1, always), and can simultaneously play as a finisher and also a disabler. I really can't sing this guy's praises enough.

Jaecar likes to activate early and on his activation he aims to do one of two things:
1. Finish off a weakened model, preferably one with influence on it and not with Loved Creature.
or
2. Significantly injure, trap, and Gut & String a key opponent model with a lot of influence on it.

Jaecar's activation is pretty simple -- he likes to Jog up to the opponent, buy four attacks, drop a trap on their feet, dodge out with his last attack, and then Back to the Shadows into safety. Jaecar does *not* like charging if he can help it; his playbook's low results are great enough that buying two attacks is preferable to charging.

One thing about traps is that you do NOT want to trip the trap on Jaecar's turn unless you expect to kill that model in this activation or the target model had already activated. Getting the -1 Def from the snare during Jaecar's activation is nice, but leaving the trap there is better. Why? Well, let's say your opponent activates the model next. If you triggered the trap, then this model is snared and bleeding. The opponent then spends 1 momentum to clear the snare and bleed and the model has full movement again. However, if you did not trigger the trap, then your opponent cannot clear the conditions before the movement -- and movement instantly triggers the trap. Therefore, barring shenanigans like Shadowlike, Where'd They Go, and Quick Time which can all trigger the trap early then having a trap at their feet guarantees they eat the -2 movement penalty during their advance. And this combined with Gut & String makes for a guaranteed -6 movement penalty which can completely shut down a model whom your opponent was expecting to do serious work this turn.

Just like in the game, I totally forgot to mention the last critical thing Theron brings to the table -- a free forest. Don't forget Theron's forest. It's super important. What can this free forest do for your?

1. Provide a teleport spot for Hearne to Magical Forest Man into. With Theron's support Hearne can do disgusting things.
2. Provide a hiding spot for Chaska, such that Chaska gets his +1 armor bonus. Chaska can be kind of fragile, so this helps him a lot.
3. Block line of sight, preventing enemy character plays or charges.
4. Screw with your opponent's kicks. Note that any kick that starts from a model in, goes to a model in, or travels across a forest loses a die on the kick. Making enemy passes require rolling only one or two dice hurts a ton.
5. Put rough ground where your opponents don't want it and your models don't care about. Screwing with your opponent's movement math is always good.
6. Give your models free cover, making them more defensible. Suddenly Fahad, Chaska and Hearne don't feel nearly so exposed.

The sheer utility of this move is insane. And it's free. Don't forget it like I frequently do; factor it heavily into your plans for the turn. That said, do keep in mind that your opponents can benefit from it too if you aren't careful. Trying to kill a Fillet who is hiding out in your own forest is embarassing.

Something I forgot to mention about Jaecar's trap is that YOU CAN ONLY EVER HAVE ONE ON THE TABLE. This is super critical. If you place a trap and then it does not get popped then you do not get another until it is popped. Don't just throw this thing out willy nilly, and don't put it out on a model you're trying to kill until after you've failed. If you put a trap out and kill your target before you can trigger it then that trap is permanently on the table.

No because the Vassal module is tenouttaten

>Hearne
Hearne is an interesting case. One thing about Hearne is that he is potentially a 3-4 influence model, which is disgustingly good. He's also the best goal scorer on the team, due to his hilarious Magical Forest Man teleporting bullshit. However, having Hearne on the team significantly limits your activation order and can provide disastrous amounts of negative synergy if you aren't careful.

I often see people running a team like
>Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Hearne, [Egret/Chaska/Hemlocke/Zarola], [Seenah/Minx/Avarisse]
Here's the problem with this team: it has two Blessings and only three characters who can use Blessings. This means that if you want to use both blessings then your activation order must be:

1. Theron/Hearne, Blessing the other
2. Hearne/Theron, Blessing the third
3. [Third model]

If you don't you're not using both Blessings. And if you aren't using both Blessings you shouldn't be using Hearne. But if you do do that then your activation order becomes a straightjacket.

Therefore, in my opinion, the only team comp Hearne belongs in is:
>Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Hearne, 2x [Egret/Chaska/Hemlocke/Zarola]
Your activation order remains fairly flexible and you can get full use out of both Blessings.

That said, Hearne is definitely a good model. He likes to activate after Theron for the forest teleportation shenanigans, but going before Theron is also good because Theron fucking loves getting Blessed. Skewered is a disgusting amount of utility, and Hearne can do serious work with only one influence on him assuming the forest placement is good for him this turn. Fahad, Theron and Jaecar all like Singled Out although only Fahad really gets to use it often due to activation issues. Hearne can also score sneaky goals by tackling the ball, Magical Forest Man'ing into an upfield forest, then sprinting towards an empty goal and kicking with his 3/4" kick.

In general, I like Hearne, but I don't consider him an insta-pick like Jaecar.

>Zarola
AKA, the Midnight Offering bus.

Okay, Zarola gets a bad rap. It's true that 95% of the time all she does during her activation is use Midnight Offering. She is definitely a one trick pony. But, my god the bullshit that one trick pulls. For example:

>Theron Pins an enemy, then Zarola buses him into a spot where the Pinned enemy can do nothing this turn.
>Jaecar gets a bus across the field and can suddenly finish off an enemy model your enemy thought was safe from him.
>Fahad just charged a target and your opponent is licking his chops, so you bus him back into your backline.
>Zarola has the ball, sprints upfield, buses herself another 5", and then shoots for a goal.
>Zarola has the ball, passes to Egret, get the 4" dodge off the pass and then a bus 6" further upfield for a sneaky goal.
>Hearne gets a bus into range of this turn's forest, such that he can do Magical Forest Man bullshit your opponent had written off.

The list just goes on and on. She's a pure support model, and she's damn good at it. And, on top of that, she can do a great job of setting Fahad up as well. Bolas on a target to snare it, then trigger Linked [Fahad] such that he can charge the target before your opponent can respond. A sneaky little trick like that can suddenly drop 7 or more damage on a target, and often that's enough to finish someone.

Additionally, she's a natural 5+ with Unpredictable Movement. And she's not a priority kill target for your opponent. This means she can frequently stay in the midfield and get pretty much ignored, making her defensively solid. It's nice to have a model which you don't have to babysit, as the rest of the team tends to be fairly fragile.

The one thing about Zarola that I do find negative is that you almost never feel like you can spare influence for her, and then you feel like you *need* to Bless her. This can feel a little limiting, and in teams without Hearne I find myself leaving her out a lot due to this fact.

>Egret
AKA Original Character Donut Steel.

Egret is a downright incredible pressure model. She works best in teams with Hearne or Seenah where your opponent tends to gang up on your big model upfield and then she drops a poison Flurry on the group. Chaska can help set this up too. Egret likes to go late in the turn for a number of reasons -- she likes waiting for a Blessing for a free flurry, she likes waiting for enemies to get their Def debuffed via snare and Gut & String, and she likes plinking enemies with Snap Shot to poison them just before the maintenance phase.

In general Egret is a super straight forward and simple to play model. I often use her as a battery, not putting anything on her, expecting to Bless her later on for a free Flurry. She's also the team's striker and is the most capable at playing ball, but this role is totally at odds with her backline archer role as she is rarely in any position to be passed the ball. You can send her out to the wings with Jaecar and Fahad, but then she's out of range for Blessings. The only time I care about her kick stats are late game where she can get bused upfield by Zarola for the game-winning score.

A general strategy note: I find that Hunters strongly prefer hanging back near their deployment line and letting the opponent come to them. You'll often concede the first goal, and then you kill the ball as effectively as you can and focus on killing the opponent via a fighting retreat tactic. Once you've gotten 2 to 4 kills then you go pick up the ball and start working someone like Egret or Chaska upfield for the game-winning score. You really aren't a ball team, and in all honesty I find Hunters to be the purest kill team in all of Guild Ball; even the Butchers are more of a ball team than the Hunters are.

So, leaving Egret off isn't nearly as unconscionable as leaving off another team's striker; generally speaking if you bring her it's for her poison pressure and not her ball skill.

>Chaska
The shotgun wielding maniac. I actually really like Chaska; he's flexible, can fulfill multiple roles, and can function as both an influence battery and an influence sink depending on what you intend to do with him. In general, Chaska brings three things to the team: his traps, position manipulation, and sudden damage output.

1. Traps
Chaska's traps work just like Jaecar's traps, except that Chaska can have 3 out at once and can be far more laissez faire about placing them. Unlike Jaecar I actually don't mind having Chaska trigger his own traps, mainly because he usually uses the snare more for the Def debuff than for the movement penalty.

2. Position Manipulation
Chaska not only has his amazing Boom Box ability but also has momentous 1" and 2" pushes on 1 and 2 successes respectively. Chaska is fantastic for peeling enemy models off of Seenah, Fahad, Theron and Hearne as well as setting up snared, out of position models for Seenah and Fahad to charge at.

3. Sudden Damage Output
Note that all pushes in GB are "up to the listed distance". You can choose to push a Boom Box'd target 0", 1", etc; the full 4" push isn't mandatory. Therefore, with 4 influence and a Blessing Chaska can drop 12 damage on one character with three successive Boom Boxes. It's disgusting, and you won't believe how effective it is until you see it. What's more likely, however, is walking up to an enemy, putting a trap next to them, buying an attack to push them and trigger the trap, and then double Boom Box'ing the -1 Def target. You can even push someone off the pitch by doing this, which gets you 2 VP's and momentum just like you'd taken them out normally.

The big downside to Chaska is that he is fragile; 3+ 1 armor on 16 HP is generally insufficient to stay alive. He gets +1 armor for standing in rough ground, so he typically stakes out a rough ground patch and stays near it the entire game. Theron's forests are useful for this as well. He can also Tough Skin himself for another +1 armor, to go to 3+ 3 armor, which is quite solid. But that costs influence, and that's at a premium.

Also interesting is that Chaska has a respectable 3/6" kick and, unlike Egret, tends to be somewhat forward. Therefore Chaska is a good option for a sneaky goal late game.

In general, Chaska's role is that of a peeler and setter-up for Fahad and Seenah and occasionally you load him up and he goes full shotgun maniac mode. He's also your best counter to Obulous and Midas; without Chaska those two will load up with full influence loads each turn and just run through your team like a hot knife through butter. Of course, Midas will just steal Chaska's shotgun and then you're really fucked, but... You've gotta do something to stop that madman.

>Seenah
The Champ, Bear Seenah! [trumpet melody]

As discussed above, Seenah really should not be run with Hearne. Seenah is a model that needs a lot of support, and you really shouldn't just run her up the center except against the less dangerous teams in the game, but with the right support Seenah can be very solid. Your opponent *will* try to focus her down, but that's not the worst of things -- this means they aren't going after Theron and Jaecar and that's a good thing in my book.

Seenah can activate any time when it makes sense in the turn, and likes to start by knocking down anybody engaging her and then charging a snared enemy. If she's in melee you should definitely put 2 influence on her each turn. As a tough hide model, healing her with Take a Breather and C'mon Mate is very efficient, so try to do so as much as possible. Don't expect the VP bonus from bear hug kills to ever matter. She's honestly a pretty dumb model, her activation basically plays itself, but she generates a lot of influence and takes a lot of heat off of the rest of the team so she earns her keep.

In my opinion there's really only one team I like Seenah on, and that's
>Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Seenah, Chaska, Minx

This is a very aggressive and fighty Hunter build, unlike the normal kitey Hearne builds, but it works and is fun. As you can tell I'm not in love with Seenah, but she's fun and good in the right team.

>30mm
>not 28mm or 32mm
The smallest things seem to irk me. How tall are they next to GW, Reaper, PP models?

Finally, the Union models:

>Hemlocke
Another model with good character plays who does a great job of helping ease the pressure you receive. Hemlocke is surprisingly solid, especially in Hearne teams, and especially against Alchemists and Hunter mirrors. A lot of people say she's good against Fillet led Butchers, but they're wrong; don't bring her against Fillet, she won't be able to use Smelling Salts to cure a single bleed and she's going to die by the start of turn two because 10 HP is too fragile. Blind is also good, and sometimes you like Noxious Blast if Egret isn't on the team, but in general she's just a Smelling Salts stick.

>Minx
A two influence player who uses no influence herself; that's what Minx is. I only like Minx with Seenah, because Seenah needs the influence and because Minx herself is not good enough to replace Hearne, but Minx is serviceable and certainly playable. She's great at hanging out in the wings and harassing your opponent's strikers with Screeching Banshee. She generates momentum, acts as a two influence battery, has fantastic charge range, and does some things on top of that.

around same height.

bit more realistically proportioned so don't expect GW gigantism.

>Avarisse & Greede
Now here's a doozy. Here's the guy you replace Hearne with, if you're going to replace Hearne in your team. So, Avarisse does two things for your team: first off, he provides a great backfield threat who likes to go early in the turn and is amazing at setting up Theron, Fahad and Jaecar with a Singled Out, knocked down target to beat on. This is pretty solid in its own right -- like I said, you like to wait for the opponents to come to you, and when you do Avarisse is there waiting to enable the rest of your team to do bad things to your opponent.

The second and more vital thing, however, is that extra activation. The Hunters almost always go second. You almost never have enough momentum left at the end of the turn to go first. With A&G on the board, this means you get two unopposed activations back to back at the end of the turn. This can be absolutely brutal. People do not like dealing with this shit. And this advantage gets even more severe if you start dropping models, or if Jaecar effectively removes a model from the turn with a good G&S, or if you do stack up momentum to go first on the last turn of the game. A&G brings a ton to the hunter lineup, but you pretty much have to drop Hearne to get him so I don't think he's a 100% lock for a slot.

Some final tips about playing Hunters:

Hunters almost always prefer to receive the ball, not kick. If you do receive, you faff about passing the ball to generate momentum and then have Fahad run the ball off to the side of the pitch and drop it there. Be sure to drop it in front of your goal line, of course; if it touches the goal line then you won't be allowed to generate momentum until it is moved, but just get it out to the sides and protect it as best as possible.

If you do have to kick, I prefer to kick with Chaska if I have him (be sure to end his jog on rough ground for the bonus armor) because a pushed up Chaska is a threat your opponent must respect. If no Chaska then I prefer Theron, so as to set up a critical Pinned shot. Jaecar can also do it, but it's a big risk; Jaecar likes the flanks, so if you have him kick and be in the middle then he might die early, but if you put him on a flank then your opponent will know the ball will end up there and deploy accordingly. In general, expect to concede the first goal if you had to kick. Do your best to stop it, but be realistic; your ball recovery ability is absolute garbage.

Spend your momentum judiciously, using it to keep models healed up. You're in for the long haul. You rarely have the ability to take first activation, so don't bank two momentum when your opponent is at 4. Just spend it on healing someone. Having someone who attacks a lot (like Jaecar) go early and generate a lot of momentum is really good for you, too.

Don't forget Theron's forest. That thing is critical to making your team work. It can do so much for you if placed correctly.

You don't always have to Bless someone. Sometimes you can surprise your opponent by taking an activation which guarantees you'll waste a Blessing but gets you some large immediate tactical advantage. That said, don't give up the Blessing cheaply; only pass on it if you expect the return on it to be low or if what you get instead is very large.

What do we know about Farmers so far?

They plant harvest tokens which the pick up later in the turn to gain some benefit. We don't know what that is. They also referred to tatter as being a reaper. So they probably have planters and reapers.

One final thing I almost forgot to mention: memorize your chances of succeeding character plays versus different defense targets. Pic related -- this is what you need to know. Particularly the middle six, 2 and 3 dice versus 3, 4 and 5 up. Notice how much better things get when you get to shoot at 3+ instead of 4+, and remember that this is the faction of snare... so use it appropriately.

That sounds so silly and yet I love it.
I can bet all my coins we'll get a miner guild sooner or later.

A friend of a friend of a friend who is involved told me that the other season 3 guild will be the Fools guild.

and what they will do? set up traps like jack(box glove)-in-the-box and literal cream pies?

I know nothing beyond the name and the fact that they're supposedly being heavily playtested right now.

My guess is that they'll be very mobile, but not in the dodge-and-push sort of way but more through teleports and shenanigans. Probably a mix of the control and football playstyles, similar to how fishbones plays (Morticians with a 100% focus on football).

A second season 3 faction? Interesting if it's true. I hope it is though. Farmers just doesn't seem like it'll interest me.

My bad the game is actually 28mm. The models are heroic scale though so they are bigger than an average gw model. I don't have any on hand be here's a comparison with a warmahordes Shepherd.

According to the guy who did the sculpts himself whom I spoke to at Origins it's 32mm scale. That said, some of the characters are clearly a little mis-scaled. Take that FWIW.

There's definitely 100% going to be a second season 3 guild, yes. They've confirmed that multiple times, but haven't given any additional information.

For the scale I didnt see anything on the main site but the kickstarter said 28mm, but ya who knows.

As for the second faction I guess I must have missed that bit. Sounds neat.

Thanks! That's a better write up than I could have ever hoped for.

The picture shown puts them into 32mm scale regardless of what some may say (or GB is a world of giants)

Fine, I wanted to try Vassal anyway
Now what?

The fools guild are in the fluff right? Aren't they suppose to be like a theives guild essentially?

I think that's the only other guild mentioned previously in the books that hadn't made an appearance.

There is probably a couriers guild too

The Seamstresses Guild is in the fluff, too. As are the Apothecaries Guild, but they're explicitly supposed to be 100% neutral.

the season 1 fluff lists the astronomer's guild and the scholars.

>tfw going to GenCon
>tfw hoping to participate in a tournament there
>tfw needing 8 painted models and having none
The stress is real.

Gotta paint fast. Which is like my antithesis, as I prefer to take my time...

You've got it user, just gotta push through. I mean unless you're looking to enter a painting contest cranking out 8 table ready models isn't too difficult.

Out of curiosity, what 8 are you bringing?

My 8 are:
>Theron
>Fahad
>Jaecar
>Hearne
>Chaska
>Zarola
>Egret
>Avarisse & Greede

Avarisse and Greede
T R I G G E R E D

>astronomer's guild and the scholars.
Reactive play against guilds here I come!

So why did you decided to run A&G over other options?

They're a very good counter pick against many teams. They aren't in the normal 6, but they make good bench-warmers.

Looking to flesh out my fish team, I currently own the starter box and am looking to expand to 6 so I can play full games.

I want to play a scoring team lead by shark and was going to pick up, salt, greyscales, sakana, and jac.

With sakana on the team angel feels like a redundant piece when I have such strong strikers and sakana brings another aspect to the team.

I guess what I'd like to know from other fish players is Jac is worth the 6th slot or if I should be looking at another piece.

diceotfirstdegree.blogspot.com/2016/07/vassal-for-guildball-getting-started.html

I think Jac is ok. I've never been wow'ed by him but he's never failed anyone either.

I get the impression that he's supposed to be bit of a generalist that can pick up the slack when your star players like shark gets locked down.

If you want to lock down bashy teams, try Fangtooth.

Fishes have so many dodges that the stench aura does nothing and fangtooth will soak up a lot of damage