Optimism, innovation, and the spirit of creativity fill these pages...

>Optimism, innovation, and the spirit of creativity fill these pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering™! Welcome to Kaladesh—a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse.

>Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh—its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors’ Fair!

the jacetice league confirmed for Kaladesh

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147293699968/i-would-argue-that-tamiyo-is-an-important#notes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch
Uh. Can we just not? Maybe introduce a new setting without the Scooby Gang?

no fuck you it worked for marvel

>The Jacetice League liberates not-India from the oppressive hand of the Magic Apartheid, which hunts and segregates all magic inclined people by sending them to concentration camps.
>mandatory browns and blacks as the majority of the population
>evil doers are white
>Mage Lives Matter

can we just end the whole story now

>The enemy faction mechanic is dredge.

>best artificers in the Multiverse?

phyrexians confirmed

Thank God

I'm getting a Mercadian Masques feel from the description. The art is beautiful and I like the theme.

For once I'd like them to only create a plane with no conflict to be resolved: just make Kaladesh a place you visit and enjoy, and let the world building be the strongest point of the set. The low quality storytelling and their manic effort to emulate the awful "comic book" format with the Gatewatch "superheroes" is killing Magic.

Will they finally artifice a toilet?

>Optimism
>In/about Magic
That's the best joke I've heard all day!

>>For once I'd like them to only create a plane with no conflict to be resolved
>The second set of the block is called "Aether Revolt" and the short tagline is "take back what is yours".

Don't think so amigo. Also MaRo said that block not about war and conflict is not possible because the game is about conflict.

the fair introduces a new invention called a "toilet" and all citizens are required to use them for sanitation.

in aether revolt they must fight for their sacred right for shitting in the streets again

I liked it more when MTG took inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft, H.R. Giger and John Carpenter.

the mtg story is starting to feel like a series of doctor who

>Things I want from Kaladesh
A fun and innovative view of MtG, more focus on non-creature artifact and spells than creatures.
New curry recipes in uncharted realms.
Non-PWs centric storyline.
Actually hindia magical entities, but because of reasons, such as technology slowly faded into obscurity.
A jab at the caste system
>What I will get
PWs centric story line.
Drama and DRAMA ONLY in the uncharted realms
Focus on creatures
Basically anglo lore with brown people

>First block is storm
>Second one they reveal their warmachine and it's dredge

It'd be PERFECT.

WHERE DE BROWN WOMEN AT?

I'd poo in her loo, if you catch my drift.

Here's one, you can see the rest in other Kaladesh cards from the Origins set.

id jam in her clam

>Everyone is hindian looking in Kaladesh
>Except chandra, she's very white because demographic says waifu can't be brown, normie don't like-like

>all phyrexians die in this block in an anticlimactic, rushed and underwhelming battle
First Eldrazi, now Phyrexia

It can't be, Doctor Who has occasional bouts of competency and even quality.

>H.P. Lovecraft, H.R. Giger and John Carpenter
All of which are racist old white males

White father, Indian mother, both are brown-haired.

Could be genes, could be that innate magic in her blood led to her red-headed nature, could be that she was originally adopted.

They are selling Kaladesh as multicultural. That is an actual selling point. Time to see if "Multicultural means only brown people" is a meme or not.

and they are all amazing and unique...

She's so white she makes Elesh Norn jealous.

And she is ugly as sin.

Jesus that art is ugly and I hadn't noticed till now.

Fine, have this instead.

>thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse
But Urza is dead.

>Everyone is hindian looking in Kaladesh
>Except chandra's daddy since she has to be very white because demographic says waifu can't be brown, normie don't like-like

Woah woah woah spoiler that image of a white man oppressing a poor minority woman. Srly when wotc will stop with this misogyny?

That's not fucking brown, that's a nigger.

wtf even the slaves have robot slaves

Here, another one of your brown women.

>Hindian afro
No.
Pls racist WotC don't race-supress Hindi people.

>Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch
DELETE THIS

Really now?

Jacetice league was a mistake

Sure is super Hindian-looking here.

Who do you think Raven man is?

Have more Hindian looking people, if that's actually a word.

8/10 would let steal my heart and sell for aether

Funny how all these indian people have afroos, black facial features and darker skin.

Also the dude on the left looks very greek or italian.

One last one.

Totally, everyone is Indian-looking but Chandra. Not like this is a multi-ethnicity plane, nope.

Wow, you could use that to destroy everyone in Kaladesh!

>they're selling Kaladesh as multicultural
I don't get this attitude. They literally had one sentence in their description that described it like that. What they're selling it as is Mirroden 2.0, now with less affinity

>We'll make not!india!
>j/k it's negroland!
Fuck westerns and their pet niggers.

>now with less affinity
Isn't that actual mirrodin 2.0?

now all races and gender will be specified, for example snapcaster mage was just "human mage" but now in oracle text he will be "male Asian human mage".

of you play any "Caucasian male humans" in your deck you will not be allowed to block any race or gender other then "Caucasian male"

protours will only allow the most diverse decks to compete.

>multicultural
Aren't all settings and sets and blocks ever multicultural?

Good point. How about Mirroden 3.0; We promise it won't be Phyrexia in a year

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147293699968/i-would-argue-that-tamiyo-is-an-important#notes
>planeswalker packs don’t start until Kakadesh.
>Kakadesh
HE KNOWS

Absolute cancer. I really truly hate how low magic has sunken. Now it is high fantasy D&D 4e power wankery trying to explore "deep and complex characters" It used to have great storylines with Yawgmoth and Urza and the huge world of Dominaria that took DOZENS of sets to explore. Now it is cheap plastic crap made from tacking together elements of other settings and pretending it creates a coherent and enjoyable world.

When your setting can be reduced to "steampunk india" or "gothic horror with angels" or "greek mythic world" or just "mongols" then you know you have failed as a worldbuilder. Wizards of the Coast has done some very poor work with the last few sets. Since Alara it has gone downhill, and it really, it has been going downhill since long before that.

>a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible
except for avoiding creative's forced abortion of a main cast of characters

that one's not possible

>Also the dude on the left looks very greek or italian.
he got lost on the way to Theros

>Tamiyo seal Emrakul in the moon
>Jace talk with his ex and call the gatewatch
>Jace is more important than Tamiyo
Fuck you MaRo.

Don't forget that Tamiyo was Bant because we had to have Jace in Blue wandering around discovering what she already found out.

>jacetice league
I love how Maro has turned this into a Veeky Forums meme by his hate of it.

I really like the idea of a chill plane that's just cool shit without any world-destroying conflict. However I want the Jacetice league to be dead. Planeswalker cards were a mistake.

see aether revolt

Fuck, time to buy only commander and premium sets then

Eh, I was just looking for an excuse to quit the game. Nice of him to provide.

>three months later people are still surprised wotc is doing exactly what they said they would
I don't care if you like the gatewatch or not, but gatewatch were cofirmed for kaladesh when oath of the gatewatch existed. they were confirmed again when chandra was one of the planeswalker decks and they will continue to be confirmed until something happens that very specifically excludes them. this is not surprising, their very presence should not fill you with rage, because you should be expecting it. do some of you fa/tg/uys order a blt and then bitch about how much you hate tomatoes on your sandwiches?

>steampunk

Where's the steam? Where's the levers? The pumps? The stupidly huge cogs? Hell, where the punk?

Do you know what steampunk is?

>india

The aesthetics, from what we've seen, are clearly drawn from both India and Arabic architecture.

Please be less stupid in future.

>Tamiyo is least important planeswalker
>Jace has done nothing
>Liliana did nothing until she realized shit was so bad that a zombie apocalypse could only improve matters
>Sorin has done barely a damn thing except make shit worse and worse
>Nahiri has been sitting in a corner giggling while her plan unfolds
>Tamiyo has actually been studying and learning new shit and being proactive
>She's least important
Fuck you, Maro.

Oh silly user, multicultural means either only or the vast majority being negros, you thought meant multiple different cultures? kek

I'm pretty sure I didn't order a fucking superhero troupe when I started playing Magic.

God forbid the living guildpact be UW, too. That's just not kosher with the mono-colored faces of magic plan.

You guys realize that real life India had(and has) skin colors ranging from black to white. There are a shit ton of different ethnic groups mixed together there. (Although Chandra is pale as fuck compared to any of them)

Fucking gatewatch, they're uncharismatic, boring bunch of mary sues

>Pay to Win card games

But magic is played by nerds and nerds love comics.
And people who like comics MUST like superheroes.

Why must people keep giving money to capeshit?

Please let this happen the tears would be delicious

So how much shall we bet the the "oppressive" upper-class are never once shown doing anything questionable that makes logical sense?

I unironically want to know what good sources of inspirations there are that weren't written by white men

>Mtg is now high fantasy
Was it ever not?

>story lines that took dozens of sets to explore
So just the one storyline full of mary sues

>setting reduced to buzzwords
Yeah, how could we forget about such lore filled world's like artifact plane, Giger land, Arabian Nights, Ice Age, basic fantasy world, and fantasy world 2: this time with robot zombies

It'll never happen, but

>gatecapes arrive
>oppressed underclass begs for help
>they help...
>...and by help I mean fuck up everything
>society collapses across the plane
>now they have to fix that shit
>keeping them out of the next, say, 6 or 7 blocks

>instead of helping rebuild Innistrad, the Jacetice league fucks off to a fair

Studying and learning, yes, but she's not actually DOING anything about it that we've seen yet, she's very specific about not interfering.

Jace, Liliana, Nahiri, they're CHANGING things, for better or for worse. Tamiyo sits on the sidelines cataloguing what happens in the game, the others are actually in the game.

In that respect, I can understand why Tamiyo would be less important, or rather less relevant to the plot. You can take her out of the story and replace her with "generic sagely scholar cataloguing things happening" and still get a similar effect.

>invent all kinds of constructs, thopters and other mechanical wonders
>didn't bother inventing the toilet

>Vedas
>Gilgamesh
>1001 Nights
Must I go on?

> not actually DOING anything
SHE PUT EMRAKUL IN THE FUCKING MOON

Now that the Multiverse is safe from the Titans, the Gatewatch spend some down time, which gets disrupted by the events that lead to Aether Revolt. Tensions rise between members of the Gatewatch, who find themselves on opposite sides of the revolution: notably Chandra with the rebels, Jace with the establishment.

Jacetice League: Civil War

Gideon is the guy that subverts expectations by being with the rebels. Just like how Captain America is the figurehead for US government's superheroes... until things get in the way of his ideals like freedom (Cap is probably RW I guess). He backs the rebels out of his sense of justice.

Meanwhile Nissa subverts the other way by siding with the establishment despite being all for the natural order of things and probably being a bit out of her element in a heavily artificed world. Not quite sure how they contrive that one.

Liliana, meanwhile, is torn between caring about Jace and empathising with people not being allowed to earn positions of power for themselves.

Nah. They gotta set that up.

Kaladesh is the plane where Jace, realizing the gatewatch can't be everywhere, creates a magical artificial intelligence, and empowers it with the greatest artifice of kaladesh. It then rebels.

and through time travel magic creates the plane of phyrexia, which is later discovered by yawgmoth.

Except Magic was "diverse" in a non-obligatory way that we have today since forever. Fucking Mirage was based on Africa! Nobody fucking cares about Africa but it was pretty amazing and unique. Merquidian Masques was awesome, looking back at some amazing cards that Kamigawa brought - it was pretty good. Fuck even "mongolian magic" turned out good except for that forced Alesha is a transgender thing. gawd that's stupid.

But Phyrexia's creator was a dragon found dead in its core...

They've retconned shit before

Niv-Mizzet

Absolutely disgusting

>Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair
Someone shoot MaRo

POO

Kamigawa had great flavor and story but mechanically it was pretty bad, save for very few cards

He doesn't write this nor approve it, you want Doug.

It was always a default.
It's been the default since they were introduced.
Butthurt assholes. Nothing but butthurt assholes for miles around.

>Alara, Scars of Mirrodin, Theros, Khans.
It wasn't the default until they decided to limit the cast to five cartoon characters.