/btg/ - BattleTech General

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Preparing for ilClan

Old Thread: ================================================

Combat Manuals Kurita
mediafire.com/download/l317qcmc9i81744/E-CAT35261_BattleTech_Combat_Manual_Kurita.pdf

Campaign Operations
mediafire.com/download/b7e9bgevanjxf3y/E-CAT35007_Campaign_Operations.pdf

TtS McEvedy's Folly
mediafire.com/download/0i6ldp6u1qxbfh5/E-CAT35SN209_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_McEvedys_Folly.pdf

================================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

megamek.info/releases,
github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/releases/tag/v0.3.30
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Battletech? Come on, dude. You know cool games and settings aren't allowed on Veeky Forums.

Faggotry? Come on, dude. You know retarded bullshit and rampant faggotry isn't allowed in /btg/.

are you ready for 90% of this joke becoming true?

Wow I hope that doesn't happen. Sad thing, makes a disturbing amount of sense. Fuck, that's awful looking. Literally no faction I care about survives or does well. That's awful.

The part I'm surprised by is that it's Cloud Cobra and not Star Adder.

I for one hope this isn't true. I really do. But if it is... FINALLY the Suns get their long awaited kick to the nuts!

Wait, never mind, I suck cocks. Banacek is a CSA bloodname.

Well, yeah. That's how we know it's a hoax.

Anyone want this title-less version? :)

Yay, if only for a better look at the Pixie.
Them 3d renders in the book were kinda lame compared to the color pieces in CM: Mercs, and the Pixie is the worst of them.

Nice

Yeah they were a little underwhelming this time, maybe due to being rushed. They were all SPOOKY this time around, just needs some better visual focus on forms over texture.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to get into the Clans not involved in Revival?
They feel like the "all the rest" crew.

Somewhat, yeah, though there's a few potentially interesting events like the Burrock Absorption. Goliath Scorpion Seekers can be good roleplaying opportunity too.

>I used to be a member of VHEM

I didn't know what VHEM was before this. How can anyone be so cucked?

This looks like someone's shitty self-insert story.
"Ulysses Banacek" kills basically every khan in the innersphere, then kills stone, then makes Julian Davion his personal bitch.

It's like being the cuck of the universe.

I always thought Clan Cloud Cobra sounded neat... until I read operation revival. They're basically just Star Adder sidekicks.

And Goliath Scorpion and the Ravens seem mildly interesting, and they fucked right out of there.

This has the problem beyond everything else of just being really boring.

If what was planned of Ilclan was even remotely similar, no wonder they stopped moving towards it.
It's just incredibly dull. Clans win. Inner Sphere is over. Sad Trombone sound goes here.

Going through with that plan be financial suicide if nothing else, because people don't like playing in a dead setting, just look at what happened with Warhammer with the big climactic setting ending arc, even discounting what happened after it was a shit-show that shed a lot of die-hard fans because of the prevailing attitude of 'what's the point?'. Takes a strong will to ignore the official line and play in a dead setting and not just move on to other games, which might even be technically dead but just unsupported rather than game over dead.

>Clans win. Inner Sphere is over. Sad Trombone sound goes here.

Well, that's what should have happened in the first place during 3050, so I'm OK with it. Yeah, it's taken them this long to fix their initial mistake, but at least it's getting fixed.

M8, it's literally a joke

My trothkin.

As far as I know IlClan was supposed to be a thing, even if the document there is a joke? Certainly gets discussed enough around here anyway.

the Clans didn't count on getting Focht to the death.

tukayyid best day of life one bulldog not enough etc etc

Don't worry, ilkhan is never going to happen. Its going to be succession wars historicals, XTROs about succession wars, combat manuals about all the factions we already have source books on, touring the stars succession wars edition, turning points succession wars, novel reprints, you get the picture.

Honestly I thought the IS was just going in the "Every nation gets their own pet clan" direction (possibly with some exceptions) and they would simply get integrated into the bigger inner sphere.

Then they can standardize everyone on Clantech, and we can move the plot forward finally.

The fact that clan equipment is still magical bullshit nobody can reproduce almost 100 years later is more than a little ridiculous.

I was just tukayyid posting on another board earlier tonight. Fuckyeah Tokaayyid was the best day of my life.

In fact, my friends and I are ending our Tukayyid compaign in about a week and a half. Gonna butcher the pathetic remnants of Clan Nova Cat (and murder their Khan, while we're at it).

While I'd like that...the problem with it is that the very definition of 'IlClan" is "the Clan that wins by taking over Terra".

I fuck all the girls, and I had my tubes snipped like 10 years ago, procreation is for suckers. Cuckold is non-metaphorically played as both a shit board meme and insult.

On topic, fresh Clan Robits

I expected this from the moment the succession wars stuff was announced.

That'd be far too smart and logical for something birthed in the derp age.
A post-3150 setting though really could do with standardising the equipment to a higher tech level in the rules themselves. Not even simply moving everything to clan tech, just making the baseline something easier to get into for newer players than having to start out with 3025 tech and then work up to the utter clusterfuck of mixed/experimental tech with special modifiers, abilities, how they react to damage, how they deal damage...

>doesn't have kids

You literally fail at life.

>A post-3150 setting though really could do with standardising the equipment to a higher tech level in the rules themselves.

Also for new players, moving the baseline technology up might be an improvement just so introtech-only games don't seem so fucking slow and short-ranged.

I honestly consider him kind of a hero for making sure his genes never pass on. If only more people were so thoughtful.

Hello VHEManon, how are you tonight?

>being this freebirth

literally worse than amaris

So many happy memesters in this thread this evening.

>being this clan

Literally worse than Smoke Jaguar.

>being this plebe

Literally worse than Loren Coleman.

>worse than best clan

really makes you think....

The links in the Against the Bots pastebin are broken.

So, are the cyborg catgirls a Draconis Combine thing, or...?

If you had to devote the rest of your life protecting dispersed settlements on a Periphery world from the occasional pirate raid or native bandit, with possibility of off world resupply 2 to 4 times a year, what mech would you choose?

>All of this /pol/ in my Battletech
Somehow appropriate.

MOC, actually. There's art depicting cyborg catgirls.

I consider all of this discussion a faux-/pol/

Not a Purple Bird lover, but the correct answer is the best mech the FWL produces.

Have in in LC colors from an elsie.

Awesome-8Q or -9Q, depending on era

Some of them have interesting facets, or stuff that *could* have been interesting if they were further developed like the Cobra Cloisters.

But a lot of them are "Do ho ho, we're so dumb we fight ourselves instead of anyone else," "Herp a derp, narcotic vision quest time," or "Our only purpose is to always support/violently oppose whatever Clan X does."

20 sounded like a good, round number back in the day but in retrospect 10 Clans would have been easier to manage.

Crab. Wolvie-5M. Grasshopper. Something mobile and with an energy-heavy loadout.

Seriously the Cobra Cloisters are a horribly untapped bit of potential. They're Clan Knights Templar, in the case of the Josians.

There are two acceptable answers to this question, and those are the Awesome and Black Knight. Though I suppose in 3025-50, you could add the OG Marauder II

PPCs are a problem to maintain in the fluff though, and an Assault will suck down a lot of maintenance time and cash.

Probably a Shadow Hawk in the 3025ish era. It's not a spectacularly great 'Mech, but parts are easy to come by and everything on it is known for being able to handle rugged treatment. Has two hands as well so if heavy lifting or extreme rescues are needed it can help.

Other than that, maybe a Phoenix Hawk for the speed, jump range, relatively heavy weapons array and anti-infantry capability. I wouldn't go into battle with more than about 10 bursts loaded for each of the MGs though.

In what era?
are you just posting this to get an idea of the best energy boats, or are you actually serious?

This grasshopper
I'm kind of sorry, but not really

Probably something that I could easily and cheaply find parts for. Maybe one of the Vindicator variants.

Let's say 3025-50
[Spoiler] I'm serious, I've been thinking of errants lately and wanted to get others takes to see what they'd choose [/spoiler]

>that I could easily and cheaply find parts for. Maybe one of the Vindicator variants.
Spoiler alert, those two things are directly and strongly incompatible

That pastebin is super old and not really relevant beyond the link to Dylan's BT emporium for his releases. Which is really only relevant if you want more fluffy stuff. Just download the most current release linked at MekHQ site megamek.info/releases, which is really just a roundabout link to github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/releases/tag/v0.3.30 That's all you need, really. The noob guide in the pastebin is still handy, but I would read a more current ATB thread on the OF for setting up/starting out.

nah, that was just being dipshits for fun because there isn't anything even a bit new or interesting to talk about

when /btg/ goes /pol/ you'll know it

The answer is really invariably going to be the most energy boat energy boat available, because it removes 95% of the problems associated with running a mech with poor supply, a hundred times more so in pre-CASE days. That's just a fact, unfortunately

>TFW your favorite BattleTech author is Coleman but he turned out to be a thief

>If you had to devote the rest of your life protecting dispersed settlements on a Periphery world from the occasional pirate raid or native bandit, with possibility of off world resupply 2 to 4 times a year, what mech would you choose?
If I had to go pure stock, then it's Phoenix Hawk time. Enough armor to handle Bugs, solid mix of anti-vee and AP ability, and good mobility in both the strategic and tactical senses. Hell, 45t is light enough that you can still sling it into a train car. Honorable mention goes to the WVR-6M or GRF-1S, since parts are so easy to get and the weapons fit is just about perfect for a marshal with a busy schedule. Stock up on tear gas rounds, of course, and I'd actually prefer the Wolverine since you could try for some inferno gel (incendiary LRM ammo is just flat-out shite). The TDR-5SE is another great candidate, but too slow for defending scattered settlements and harder to repair.

If I could make my own quickie field-refit custom, I'd take a Pixie and drop the MGs for flamers and a sink. Another option would be dropping a half-ton of MG ammo for armor and beef up the head.

If it's an "Anything Goes" custom, than I'd be all about this bitch - I've been developing a fondness for her as I goof about with the Black Widows. Looks enough like a -2D to draw them in, but it just gets meaner and meaner as you close with it and it's geared to deal with conventional forces nearly as well as it does with 'Mechs.

If I was in Capellan space, no.

But on the Periphery, yeah you're right. Maybe a Blackjack then.

I fucking love Superchargers.

and now I want to watch the Black Cauldron

Why do you think they're killing them all off?

I mean, honestly, nothing of value was lost when say, clans Fire Mandrill and Ice Hellion got murdered.

The only interesting faction there really is maybe the Cloud Cobras but they're never given a chance to do anything aside from be Star Adder footstool cronies.

Awesome 8Q

If i'd won the lottery over the weekend I would have gone a-knockin on CGLs doors and taken the financial burden of the damn book on myself...even if it ended up looking something like this.

Catalyst should really merge the Cloud Cobras, Coyotes, Star Adders and Stone Lions into one faction. I swear there's one interesting Clan between the four of them. And I say that as a Star Adder fan.

>"Brutna Fält Lopare" gets the one-two for not only getting the word wrong ("fältlopare", field runners, is one compound word) but "Broken Field Runners" means absolutely nothing.

It does if you speak American Football Jargon, user. Before the snap, both sides choose and set their formations - the defense to stop the offense form advancing the ball, the offense to break past the defense and gain territory or score. When an offensive player in possession of the ball gets past the prepared lines of defense and gets into the 'backfield' behind the defensive line(s), where there are only one or two (usually wrong-footed) defenders to intercept him before he can score a touchdown, he's engaged in 'broken-field running'. It's the NFL equivalent of a cavalry-raid.
One presumes that the Second Husars recruit a lot of personnel from Sheliak, the gridiron planet from "Three Points of Pride".

By the looks of it, the compound word should actually be something like "Brutnafält" for the proper emphasis, but I don't speak enough Swedish to properly gattai those words. Besides, as says,
>Swedenese is one hell of a language.

>It does if you speak American Football Jargon, user

So it means absolutely nothing.

It's supposed to be a thing. OTOH, it'll probably kill the franchise, unless BT 2.0 literally ships the month after it gets released.Still good odds of being the KO shot even then.

>I fucking love Superchargers.
They're great if you have a good tech or a bad one with a lot of time on his hands. Honestly the Vang Custom is >probably< better-off with the extra two jump jets instead of the supercharger, but I love the flavor considering who's supposed to be using it. It's also a great example of an outlaw tech refit - all the weapons are sourced off of existing 'Mechs (the SRM-6 from a Whammy, the laser from a Thud, the flamer from a Valk/Wasp, the other arm laser from an SHD-2D), there's a sink bunged into the AC ammo bin, and the rest of the weight is strapped-on armor and engine overrides.

Another refit I put together for my pirates is this - a mock Wolverine, built on a reconditioned SHD chassis. It's technically a pretty high-level refit, but it leaves the armor, engine, and sinks alone and mounts all the weapons in more "Wolverine-ish" spots. I did a model of it as well, with a cut-down autocannon and a Robotech Tactics Command Destroid package. I know it seems a little pointless, but I've always hated the way the Blockhead looks and there are subtle differences in how the two designs handle. Of course, it's technically >worse< than the WVR, but I still like the way she looks.

Kek. But yeah, it's a joke that only works if you know an... unusual combination of languages and slang.

And a shot of the customs I did, from last month.
First one on the left is , and the second is .

The third is a modded Jihad-era Diesel Thunderbolt (supercharger, LACs, MG/rocket pods on a semi-swappable mount), and the fourth is a good old Steiner Griffin/Korchima Special.

No, this Marauder, with this guy driving it. Not shown, the 6 Edge this guy had. Did a lot of Clan killing with this thing.

Long term merc campaigns are a hell of a drug.

Good News! Since Clan Just-As-Planned had a massive advantage over the others after the Wars of Reaving ended, you can be sure they'll be the only survivor before they launch Clan Invasion II: Clan Harder.

Rad.

>flattop Marauder
Good mech, but absolutely haram

It's basically a Penetrator though, so of course it's good.

>le ebin overused tukayyid maymay

Rasalhague Dominion best day of my life one Revival not enough ilClan will become even better day of my life etc etc

So what is this 'outline' thing exactly?

It can't be real, as it doesn't end with ilClan Capellan Bears on top... so was it released on April 1st or something?

I got some newbie questions, /btg/.

1) I want to start a MW RPG campaign where the PCs are freelance mercs (not very original, I don't care), where can I find the costs of ammo, maintenance, repairs, personnel, and all that necessary stuff? I found one of the Merc books but it uses this weird points system that I'm pretty sure is meant for the tabletop. I want prices in C-Bills.

2) Does anyone have a good spreadsheet or program that makes tracking all that stuff easier?

3) How well would MegaMek work for multiple players controlling one "side" of a battle?

Funny thing is, I built that beast before the Penetrator was published. I was kinda amused when TRO 3055 came out.

Well, I thought of the MLs as being mounted in a sort of "spoiler of death" that was attached where the AC mount used to be.

>So what is this 'outline' thing exactly?
>It can't be real, as it doesn't end with ilClan Capellan Bears on top... so was it released on April 1st or something?
Ben Rome, the writer in charge of Wars of Reaving, released it as a joke/look behind the scenes after the ilClan plot meeting back a couple years ago. That was right around the time Herb fell on his sword in a vain effort to kill the trolls and the BattleChats got flushed with the bathwater. There are also pics floating around of a jokey whiteboard "leaked" from said plot meetings to troll the userbase, and the April First Free Taiwa- St. Ives module.

>1) I want to start a MW RPG campaign where the PCs are freelance mercs (not very original, I don't care), where can I find the costs of ammo, maintenance, repairs, personnel, and all that necessary stuff? I found one of the Merc books but it uses this weird points system that I'm pretty sure is meant for the tabletop. I want prices in C-Bills.
CB prices are in TacOps/StratOps/TechManual/IntOps depending on item. Most of the data for rrunning the repair side of a campaign is in StratOps, but the new Campaign Operations book is intended specifically for running that kind of game. Unfortunately, since it's just come out within the week, it's a massive clusterfuck and will likely need a month's worth of errata to smooth over.

>2) Does anyone have a good spreadsheet or program that makes tracking all that stuff easier?
This is literally the purpose of MekHQ, from the MegaMek guys. It's not updated to CampaignOps standards yet, and to be honest I'm still going through my copies to compare the differences so I can't help you there for another few days.

>3) How well would MegaMek work for multiple players controlling one "side" of a battle?
Set them all on the same team as individuals if you want to have "individual initiative" going, or just have them send you their moves in chat. It's a little clunky but it works

Stone? It's been a while since I read up on dark age, but isn't the RotS exarch Jonah Levin?

Stone was in a cryotube. Somebody woke him up.

And got shot in the goddamned face for his troubles, I might add..

Thanks for the explanation.

Follow-up question:

>That was right around the time Herb fell on his sword in a vain effort to kill the trolls...

What happened to Herb, both here and in general?

Battlemaster on the ground getting pounded by Wolverine?

Funny thing is, I just read The Scorpion Jar where Levin gets elected a couple weeks ago on my slog through the DA novels and he seemed like a pretty reasonable guy. Tougher than Redburn but still not the guy you see pulling all this super militarization and Fortress Republic stuff.

Did we ever find out when and why the Fortress went down anyway?

Ironically modeled on the old Warhawk killing a Kuritan Battlemaster pic.

>What happened to Herb, both here and in general?

Forum drama pretty much.

Feddie fans had been going off the tit at him over there for years, blaming him for everything that went wrong for their faction after the 4th SW even though he wasn't really responsible for anything aside from the Jihad and what little post- MW: DA stuff we had at the time, and the Jihad stuff was mandated by the DA plot any way.

Add to that the flack over the proposed timeskip to 3250 with a new rule set and re-igniting the Feddie rage with 3145 TRs and plotlines pushed him over the edge.

If the forum mods were worth anything they would have clamped down on that shit, but OF gonna OF.

Which is also the reason nobody has taken the top job in the 2+ (I think we're getting towards 3 years now?) years since. Just way too much grief and drama.

I'm more curious about what happened to the rest of the Jags.

It didn't seem like that much grief and drama to me. How hard can it be to find a line developer who's competent and also doesn't act like a thin-skinned little bitch when some neckbeard whines about the Chesterton Commonality in a chatroom?

>proposed timeskip to 3250 with a new rule set

I remember hearing about this. Kind of a shame it didn't happen.

There's a reason I don't go to the OF for anything other than errata, user.

It really is that bad. They wound up deleting most of the threads but the people who were sperging out over that shit are still there.