/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Imp Waifu Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
What are the video games you've best taken inspiration from for your campaigns?

Reminder that Plane Shift: Innistrad is in the Mega and kind of blows.

Also this month's UA (probably just a DM's Guild spotlight) has been double-postponed until the 3rd or 4th Monday of this month.

Why do people never mentioned Maul? It's 2d6 damage like Greatsword...

I'm about to put players through a sewer/ruin dungeon that incorporates Barnacles from Half-Life 2 (ceiling hanging sacs of flesh and teeth that dangle their sticky tongues from the ceiling, pulling up and devouring anything that touches it) and Cazadors from Fallout New Vegas (Massive Tarantula Hawk Wasps, using a modified Giant Wasp statblock)

I know. It's like people don't even enjoy the idea of wrecking absolute shit with a fuckhueg hammer.

Undertale

Details? Was it just a sexy goat mom?

My guess would be snarky, lazy skeletal super sorcerer.

Would a feat to unlock some unique maneuvers +superiority dice/other resource to use them be worthwhile?

Maneuvers being the more fantastic shit like cutting down spells (as counterspell/dispel magic), etc.

I played a character based off of Sans in a campaign that recently ended. Nobody got the lazy, crossword-loving scientist's gimmick, at least not before he grew into an actual character.

It might be a bit much for a feat, power-wise. Consider that the feats that give you spells are limited to first level and cantrips, where counterspell and dispel magic are 3rd-level spells.

It's something that might make for a Battle Master variant though, maybe getting some stronger maneuvers instead of improving their die scaling.

Eh, I might just make it a magic weapon to throw at my party, then.

What's a good number of charges per day? 3?

Crosswords are for baby bones, user. Now Junior Jumble, THAT's a challenge.

3 is solid for something like that, especially if it doubles as a magic weapon.

>Lammas also harbors the rebellious Blade of the
Inquisitors, Rem Karolus, who is staying at the Blue Water Inn and goes by the name Rictavio.
REM CONFIRMED SAVIOR OF INNISTRAD

I wish there was more of a 'big picture' overview of the changes that this document makes to Curse of Strahd, but all in all I think I like the ability to run it like this?

I'm making a homebrew race for two friends to play
Fluff: they are small and stout catfolk that live in mountains, they are usually guides, cooks or merchants.
They have a natural attraction to shiny objects and can easily tell fake and real jewelry apart.
Neither of my friends are munchkins/powergamers, but I fear that I either gave them too little or to many features, or a feature that will make them stupidly broken
Any advice of what should I change? Wording I should improve?
Also I realise I gave them a slightly better version of the half-orc feature, but better than what I had tried before that
I gave them a second chance at death saves if they were to get three failures, no failures or sucesses would carry over from the previous attempts, this was once per long rest btw

Why is their 0 HP thing flat out better than the half-orc one?

History isn't used for appraising jewelry, it's just flat intelligence.

Other than that
>small catfolk
Good fucking taste, user.

I wanted to set them apart, it's a place holder until I can think of something else

Jaw dropping moment last campaign:
>PC barbarian is surrounded
>other PC shoot barb and co. with a cannon
>everyone but barb blown to pieces
>barb walks off blast because resistant to bludgeon dmg.

this works but I wanted "ORIGINAL RACE DONOT STEeL" and also to step away from the usual cat qualities (charisma, agile/dexterous) but guess I failed at it.
They are supposed to be more like pallas cats or persians, not very good at climbing or jumping, but shorter and stronger legs, stout and long furred. No idea what to give them anymore

Perhaps once per long rest when making a Death Saving Throw they can act as if they rolled a 20, regaining consciousness and 1 HP?

I'm writing this one down, but again, I felt death saving throws stuff would be either something that hardly comes up, or stupidly strong.
Still this one is better than the one I came up with.

Don't forget to put a bobbit worm hydra in there

I actually really like the ++con +dex catfolk for a "sturdier" version of what most people expect from felid races. And just using the half-orc feature as is would probably be fine (except, of course, fluffing it as a luck thing and not a hardiness thing).

Also, like someone else said, history isn't really relevant to appraisal.

Overall I think the race is fairly balanced. Compared to the half-orc (the race you have to compare it to), it presents a different flavor and roleplaying focus without a lot of extra strength. I'd play it.

Automatically succeeding on a death saving throw is a LOT stronger than ignoring 0 hit points for one hit. It's probably too strong as a racial feature unless you literally get nothing else.

just make them halflings

>Automatically succeeding on a death saving throw is a LOT stronger than ignoring 0 hit points for one hit.
How come? To me it sounds weaker.
>Half orc
>Drop to 0
>Back to 1
>Still in the fight

>Catfolk
>Drop to 0
>On their turn, they get back to 1, are prone, and can't do anything because saves are at the end of it

Actually, they are a mix of dwarf, halfling and half-orc.
Again i wanted the 9 lives thing to be something new while maintaining the "hard to kill" "cheat the reaper" theme. How about needing only two successes on death saving throws to stabilize?
I do feel they could use one more feature as well

This is my analysis as well. Seems to do the same thing but with a worse "action economy". Giving them 1d4 HP back with this one might be fair.

I think he interpreted it as having unlimited uses.

I think the adv on saves vs cold damage is a bit awkward, I'd change it to being acclimated to colder temperatures as well as the cold resistance.

I had previous done a Pirate themed game that took place on a world inspired by Phantasy Star and I once ran a space based game with the plot of Star Control 2 for a group that never even heard of the game

I pretty much took the dwarf poison res trait, and by saving throws I mean for spells or abilities that would deal cold damage, so regardless of the type of save, you would roll with advantage
Either way, Thanks for the advice and suggestions anons, I have a better idea of what to do now.
I was scared I would get bashed for some of the features

SO i've updated the shadowcaster homebrew i've been working on for the past few weeks. Clarified some of the text, lowered the hit die of the class from d8 to d6, lowered the number of spells known to keep its total spell uses per day closer in line with the other spellcasters in 5e. Still has the same amount of dark and shadow references so bear that in mind. Tell me what you think Veeky Forums.