>players must stop them!

>Random encounters.
>the villan is a magic caster
>first encounter are goblins

>there's an adventure with an antagonist, combats and danger
How fucking predictable can one get?

>group of Mages living together
>everything goes horribly wrong

My DM is running scenarios from Dragon Age Origins thinking no one else has played the games. I'm torn between being That Guy and fucking up the story lines or just suffering in silence because the other players are really enjoying themselves.

>the GM attempts to have constant plot twists and weird changes to standard fantasy tropes that don't always make sense, expressly to avoid being called cliche
This has become a cliche in and of its own right.

I much prefer good old heroic fantasy to postmodern moral relativism shit

Let them enjoy themselves and maybe talk to your DM about throwing an odd twist or two your way.

Happened in the campaign I just joined as a player
Did the goblin thing myself

Did the goblin thing myself

>moral relativism
>postmodern

Hardly. Moral relativity has been a existent theme for ages. Besides that, there are classic campaign premises that would be much worse if you tried to run them as heroic fantasy, like a game inspired by Three Kingdoms or the Illiad.

>the game has dice

>there are players
Why is this such a popular cliche, Veeky Forums?

I just started an Apocalypse World game, and we sort of subverted this cliche without realizing it.

>PCs walk into bar
>There are no troublemakers, just one of the PCs who's literally trying to be a hooker and attract customers
>One NPC left the bar without paying his tab because he was afraid of PCs.
>Bartender asks PCs to collect the tab.
>All they really had to do was just talk to the guy, maybe strong arm him a bit.
>They end up kicking down his door and mauling him to death with a spiked chain.
>Over a matter of a beer or two.

We called the session there. The catch to all this is that one of the PCs is a Hardholder so this is all taking place in his settlement; he owns the town guards. I'm trying to think of ways this could come back to bite them in the ass. I'm thinking the most obvious is that the townsfolk come to see him as a tyrant so rebellions start popping up. The dead NPC also had a wife, so I'm thinking she becomes some kind of serial killer as revenge.

>vengeful NPC relative

No one here has played or ran enough games with other people who have also played or ran enough games to get tired of cliches unless they're so shitty they can't keep a game going for longer than 2 sessions.

Let it sit at low levels of simmering resentment, add a threat clock based on the players continuing to be psychopaths, because they're going to, and eventually a large gang of relatives and friends of people they've wronged come for them.

>PCs walk into the town tavern
>there is a group of loud barmaids serving there
>they harass a thug and start a brawl
>meet the party Barbarian

I like that idea, thanks user

>the barmaid is in on the scam
>she pickpockets one of the heroes while she's beating up the 'thugs' - actually her brothers
>she wishes Hans wouldn't be so CONVINCING in his pretend lechery, but eh, what can you do
>Ranald approves

There is a difference between avoiding overused tropes and directly trying to subvert them though.

Unfortunately, it isn't always...

>the villan is a magic caster
To be fair, with the internal math of D&D any fight that doesn't have a healer and wizard/sorc opposing the players is weighted in their favor, meaning that it's little more than a speed bump. Prisoner's Dilemma and all that.

>making the BBEG a zero-magic pure martial opponent
fucking jej. Hope you scaled him far ahead of the party and built him so he's not just going to mathematically beat whichever PC he decides to attack, repeat until 3/5 PCs are down, then die.

>being a GM without a group
Get this fucking trope ass shit out of my board.

Oh fuck off. That's like saying you haven't had enough girlfriends to complain about cliches in Romcoms.

>player improvises a solution to the problem at hand
>the DM shuts it down for poorly-explained reasons to keep the party on the rails

>a player is extremely wrong about a game rule
>it turns out the DM is wrong about it, too
>not a house rule, just a common misreading shared by a lot of stupid people

I know that trope too well.

>100000th thread complaining about tropes on Veeky Forums
>trope hate is a trope
the ride never ends

That's a classic, OP. Fuck you if you think you're too good for the timeless shit.