Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/
Swordfighting edition
What's your favorite weapon in the heavy blades/light blades weapon group? Discuss

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
Old Thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/dyRApYW3
youtube.com/watch?v=LBkXTIT2Sk8&index=2&list=PLlUk42GiU2gu_DysIiG2VN_5OgseyvhAS
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/15877/reign-of-win-slash-tg-slash-er
mega.nz/#F!9tQmBSbL!tbmlmKB_IsgDtzzrlXkVVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you want to play a Path of War initiator (full or partial)?
Do you prefer text-only games?
Are you highly tolerant of weeaboo token art?
Do you believe that dedicated roleplaying and heavy optimization are NOT mutually exclusive?
Are you interested in a game set in the bazaar of the bizarre, Katapesh?

If so, then this might be the game for you:
pastebin.com/dyRApYW3

There is a catch. This will be a small group with only two players and one GM. One player slot has already been reserved. They are a dedicated roleplayer, but also very meticulous with the rules. You will have to be very patient with them. There is only one player slot left.

For more details, send a Skype contact request to: explosive_runes

Do your best!

At what?

Does anybody have any recommended music for an Underdark campaign? Were also doing some sea exploration so music of that nature would help as well.

Estoc. Have you even seen that thing? It basically gives you a free feat.

youtube.com/watch?v=LBkXTIT2Sk8&index=2&list=PLlUk42GiU2gu_DysIiG2VN_5OgseyvhAS
I was recently recommended to check out early Tangerine Dream for weird Underdark music.

What was the most fascinating way you've seen or made a character with conflicting or unusual class choices make sense within the campaign?

The rest of your life.

I need some advice. My players are now in an abandoned, totally wrecked fortress that they want to make it their temporary base, and they want to forge new stuff because their items are in a very poor condition.

The problem is: There is no coal, the forges are severely lacking the tools, and the wood in the place is hundred years old. There is no hope in find new wood because the world basically died.

My players have just their weapons, no profession/craft kits and a little of power. They have various Craft skills, like Weaponsmith/Armorsmith/Alchemy.

How many penalties I shall give to make it almost impossible? I just don't want to say no, because there is a very high chance of them fail and lose time (and there is so much in stake here).

"Almost impossible" and "impossible" have no meaningful distinction in a situation like this. Either tell them it's impossible, or allow it while making it difficult, but not so difficult it shouldn't be reasonably likely.

trying to stat a lever action shotgun in pathfinder and this is what i have currently dose it seem okay or no? If im also misunderstanding how shotgun works i apologize its my first time trying to do something like this or use guns in general. Im using the double barrel shotgun as a base comparison.

Lever action hand shotgun
cost 6000
craft 2000
advanced firearm
1d8 damage
capacity
(3 in the tube and 1 in the barrel)
misfire 1-2
crit x2
range pellet
15ft
range slug
30ft
metal cartridge ammo
reload speed
2 cartridges move action
with rapid reload
2cartridges free action
2cartridges move action

double barrel shotgun comparison
cost 7000
craft 2333
advanced firearm
1d8 damage
double shot ability
-4 on both attacks when using slugs
attack against a single creature with bullets increase the damage of each barrel to 2d6 small or 2d8 medium for a tottal of 4d6 or 4d8 damage
capacity 2
misfire 1-2
crit x2
ramge pellet
20ft
range slug
40ft
metal cartridge ammo
reload speed both barrels
movement action
rapid reload speed both barrels
free action

This sexy lady right here is all you need

sup /pfg/ what do i need to know to make the best alchemist i can make?

>espagnoll opens up a new game
>31 years old gamer Major in Humanities and Master degree in Comparative Theory of Art, Thought and Literature

>laugh and walk away

Did this thread die?

What's a fun Paizo-only tank/disruptor melee build?

The campaign's Way of the Wicked at level 7.

yes

absolute cancer

Its a slow day

You'd rather him than I user.

Where is this?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/15877/reign-of-win-slash-tg-slash-er

Holy shit I remember this game.
Espagnoll told me that because I didn't believe that all transhumanists were abominations that I didn't respect him as a DM, and thus banned me from the game lol.

He's still hopelessly trying to get it active huh?

Hexcrafter Magus with DEX/INT and specced for tripping grappling. Hair Hex and Combat Reflexes. Natural Weapon Magus Arcana and Rime Spell as your first Magus Arcana.

Cast Chill Touch with Rime Spell (Magical Lineage ho!) and proceed to Trip/Entangle or Grapple/Entangle multiple people during not your turn.

You make a decent support wizard and a decent close combat backup as well.

Have fun!

Nodachi. Good damage, best crit range and lets me get my weeb on.

No one wants to play your shitty fucking game, stop shitting up threads with these ads you fucking sperg

Khopesh all day son.
too bad it's a shitty exotic weapon that i'll never actually use

For a trait, a tengu racial skill, a 1.5k ioun stone or a wayfinder, you too can wield an exotic weapon without wasting your precious feats.

The other thread passed the bump-limit, so I guess this just became the 'live' thread.

Okay, /pfg/, I have a question. Pretend the ARG race-builder system in the PRD is even close to being properly balanced. In building a (monstrous?) humanoid race, how many RP do you think a racial ability granting a 1d6 sneak attack would be worth?
(Assume that SA dice wouldn't scale with racial HD, but *would* stack with class-based SA dice.)

RP is totally meaningless.

What did the other player decide on? I'm curious about joining but I'm nowhere near my computer for Skype.

Pastebin says
>sneak attack-optimized stalker (vigilante) 4/warder (dervish defender) 1

The other player is 2hu. Avoid like fire.

I mean character-wise, it's kind of silly to make a 2-person game without the other person having at least a vague idea what sort of character their PC is.

I'm on a phone so searching for the class other guy took is a little tough, sorry!

Why?

Because 2hu is too much of an autist to be an enjoyable person to play with.
Her attitude towards the rules will drain all the fun for everyone involved, making it a miserable experience.

You'll probably have better luck searching for victims on /r/Pathfinder_RPG as /pfg/ is too familiar with 2hu for anyone sane to agree to play with her.

I'd play with her.

You forgot to attach a touhu picture.

In the player's own words:
>mine is the president of a lesser (yet ancient) trading guild whose actual owner and CEO had gone missing. Said NPC happened to be an outspoken exposer of unscrupulous business practices and the creator of a pesh-addiction-lowering alchemical substance, earning them plenty of enemies. My own character is scrambling to keep the business afloat while also conducting an investigation to locate their missing employer.

Elven Curve Blade, for finesse training's 1.5x DEX to damage.
Thought I'd get it for the low low price of the Half-Elf's Ancestral Weapon, but I've since grabbed Skill Focus->Eldritch Heritage so I'm down a feat either way.

>Elven Curve Blade, for finesse training's 1.5x DEX to damage.
Or you can just use effortless lace with any non-finesseable weapon for the same result.

Looks like a genderswitched Aladdin from the Magi manga.

Is it? I could fap to that.

>Cute sneaky girl
>In a campaign featuring Lamashtu breeding cults

Uh oh.

Nobody said pic related was the character.

Longswords get the shaft a lot. They have like, one trait that makes them a worthwhile type of weapon to invest in.

Easy to assume when the same character gets posted while talking about PC.

The character is actually a tiefling blinkling.

Blinkling is a race
Tiefling is a race

1d6 sneak attack would be worth 2 race points. Based on the Generic Classes in Unearthed Arcana (3.5), Sneak Attack +2d6 is a feat, so this is half a feat. Though it is fixed, the Generic Classes Sneak Attack feats has prerequisites so I'm halving the cost of the Flexible Bonus Feat trait rather than the Static Bonus Feat trait.

You can have Halfling Tieflings.

I feel like homebrewing an antiPoWladin.
Should I, /pfg/, or is this an incredibly terrible idea?

It's called dread (nightmare).

>What's your favorite weapon in the heavy blades/light blades weapon group?

The dueling sword. Even though it's basically a waste of feats. I always imagine it as being like a saber and I really like sabers. I was playing a Warlord heavily focused on Thrashing Dragon/Scarlet and used a dueling saber in one hand and used unarmed attacks with the other.

What about a CHAbinger instead, then?

The falcata.

You spend one exotic weapon proficiency. Now if you spend equal resources on your falcata that another player does on their weapon you'll deal more damage on average.

Sure there might be builds that want other weapons. Trip builds, critfishing builds, vital strike builds. But when you compare full attack to full attack, that 19-20/x3 crit will pull the falcata to victory.

Free doggirl to be awarded to Ssalarn once Akashit Mysteries is released.

No it won't, the damage that your infrequent x3 crit does in excess of an enemy's health is wasted, you'd be better off with a high-crit-rate weapon even though the average damage against an infinite-HP enemy would be technically lower.

A Paizo-only throwing build (other than, say, an alchemist) will always be gut-wrenchingly suboptimal. I tried my hand at such a character below.

Level: 8
Race: Wyrwood
Class: Fighter (lore warden)
Base Ability Scores (20 point buy): Strength 7, Dexterity 18+2+2+2, Constitution O, Intelligence 16+2, Wisdom 11, Charisma 7-2

Custom Weapon: Martial light melee weapon (5 DP budget), Additional Design Points (+1 DP), Aerodynamic (-1 DP), Concealed (-1 DP), Expanded Range Increment ×2 (-2 DP), Fragile (+1 DP), Increased Damage ×3 (-3 DP). Martial light melee weapon, Small damage 1d6, Medium damage 1d8, critical 20/×2, thrown range 30 feet, price 20 gp, type slashing damage, fragile property (disappears with masterwork), +2 to Sleight of Hand to conceal.
Important Items: Gloves of Dueling (15,000 gp), Small +1 Returning custom weapon (8,000 gp + self-crafted for 106.66 gp), Boots of the Earth (5,000 gp), Belt of Incredible Dexterity +2 (4,000 gp), Small darkleaf studded leather (self-crafted for 258.33 gp), Traveler's Any-Tool (250 gp), Small darkwood buckler (self-crafted for 180 gp)

Feats:
Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 1: Weapon Focus (custom weapon)
Fighter 2: Slashing Grace
Level 3: Quick Draw
Fighter 4: Point Blank Shot
Level 5: Precise Shot
Fighter 6: Rapid Shot
Level 7: Ricochet Toss
Fighter 8: Deadly Aim

Even with such a dedicated throwing build, the absolute best this character can manage is a Rapid Shot full attack routine of:
Attack: 8 base attack bonus + 7 Dexterity modifier + 1 Small + 3 Weapon Training + 1 enhancement - 3 Deadly Aim = +17
Damage: 1d6 Small custom weapon + 7 Dexterity modifier + 3 Weapon Training + 1 enhancement + 6 Deadly Aim = 1d6+17

That would be three attacks at +17/+17/+12 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+17 damage. Within 30 feet, this increases to +18/+18/+13 and 1d6+18 damage.

That'll vary depending on the actual health of the enemy and your bonus damage. You're assuming that bonus damage is high and health is low,, which isn't necessarily true. Either way, it doesn't matter. When you compare full attack to full attack 19-20/x3 (or 17-20/x3) will have the bigger number, all other things being equal. Which is what I was saying.

If forced to attack in melee, the character can do so, but they will be down to a pathetic full attack routine of +19/+14 and 1d6+11 damage.

The character has no ability at all to respond to unusual defenses. The character has no other meaningful combat options. Their noncombat utility is limited to just their 4 + Intelligence modifier skill points and nothing else.

I suppose this goes to show just how poor Paizo-only fighters are, especially throwing fighters.

>+17/+17/+12 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+17 damage. Within 30 feet, this increases to +18/+18/+13 and 1d6+18 damage.
>level 8
>bad
Am I missing something? That is really really good. I mean you are a fighter, so that sucks...

If you aren't doing 200+ damage at level 8 your SHIT. SHIT.

JOkes aside: let me put that build into YAPCG and compare it to my fighter archer build. This could be crazy.

>2hu
>her

I had forgotten to include Weapon Focus in the attack bonuses.

The full attack routines would be:
Rapid Shot: +18/+18/+13 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+17 damage
Rapid Shot with Point Blank Shot: +19/+19/+14 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+8 damage
Melee full attack: +20/+15, each dealing 1d6+11 damage

I have high standards for mid-level builds, usually with tier 3 classes and archetypes as benchmarks.

Does Stalker's Combat Precognition art work the way I think it does?
As in, you activate it, and EVERY attack against you must be rolled twice and then the worse result is taken?

>I have high standards for mid-level builds
Damn. Maybe you should be the new buildposter.

Anyways: because I suck at throwing builds:
What would be the best way to do this without a custom weapon?

Add the Learned Duelist archetype, it should boost your damage output.

One quick question while I put this together:

Why didn't you go with the Two-handed thrower feat and a belt of mighty hurling? It gives you extra damage and you depend on strength only.

Is 19 AC acceptable at level 3?

Need more information.

Pic related

>Returning
Why? It's rendered irrelevant by Ricochet Toss.

>Boots of the Earth (5,000 gp),
Why?

Boots of the earth is infinite healing for the entire party

Level 3 Bushi Stalker.
AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-foot 14.
I have two counters readied and roll +10s for each.
I took Courage as my level 3 Bushido.
No one else in the party has any defensive measures outside of slaying the enemy.
One of us has an infernal healing wand for out of combat healing.

You are probably fine. A little low but you have the offensive power to back it up.

What on the Returning, though?

Should I swap Courage for Combat Precognition?

is me. I don't know if it's worth it. I know the "roll twice on your attacks" art got errata'd to be only the first attack every turn, and am kind of expecting that to be the case for Combat Precognition as well.

I am fairly certain that a generic fighter archer will outdo this thrower archer, due to a lack of feat-taxation (Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, Ricochet Toss). A bowslinger is free to take Noble Scion (Narikopolus) and Weapon Specialization to steadily improve their damage.

>Anyways: because I suck at throwing builds
I had first begun to read of throwing builds in Pathfinder only an hour and a half ago. I am simply improvising.

>What would be the best way to do this without a custom weapon?
The build's efficacy spirals downward without a custom weapon. Daggers or throwing axes would be the best option, and those have a pathetic 10-foot range.

The character, at 8th-level, cannot afford to lose any of the feats in the progression listed here . The Ustalavic/learned duelist would force the character to drop their 1st-level bonus feat.

Additionally, the Ustalavic/learned duelist is incompatible with the lore warden.

Two-Handed Thrower is incompatible with Slashing Grace.

>Why? It's rendered irrelevant by Ricochet Toss.
This is an error. That should have been listed as "Distance," not "Returning." You will notice that this is why the attacks have a 60 foot range increment.

>Why?
Due to being a wyrwood.

What sort of weapon could a fox wield? A normal, quadrapedal fox that happens to be my Mauler familiar and can have a free weapon proficiency feat?

>Two-Handed Thrower is incompatible with Slashing Grace.
He suggested a str-to-hit str-to-dmg build.

The species is off, but I think you could do worse than pic related.

>Small +1 Returning custom weapon
>still returning instead of distance
Nice error smoothing, brah

I was literally about to post that exact picture user

Unless I'm missing something, familiars can't take weapon proficiency feats.

I can't help but wonder if a warpriest of desna throwing starknives might be a better approach.

2hu, why is it that you've decided to come back to being active after nearly ruining our contact with DSP? We aren't going to forget that.

I was thinking the same thing, but my DM won't let me take that proficiency. He says he'll only allow it for a weapon a fox could believable wield. My last suggestion was a dwarven boulder helm, but quadrapeds don't get a head slot for items.

ebin shitboast :^)

Forgive me. To smooth out the errors, then:

Level: 8
Race: Wyrwood
Class: Fighter (lore warden)
Base Ability Scores (20 point buy): Strength 7, Dexterity 18+2+2+2, Constitution O, Intelligence 16+2, Wisdom 11, Charisma 7-2

Custom Weapon: Martial light melee weapon (5 DP budget), Additional Design Points (+1 DP), Aerodynamic (-1 DP), Concealed (-1 DP), Expanded Range Increment ×2 (-2 DP), Fragile (+1 DP), Increased Damage ×3 (-3 DP). Martial light melee weapon, Small damage 1d6, Medium damage 1d8, critical 20/×2, thrown range 30 feet, price 20 gp, type slashing damage, fragile property (disappears with masterwork), +2 to Sleight of Hand to conceal.
Important Items: Gloves of Dueling (15,000 gp), Small +1 Distance custom weapon (8,000 gp + self-crafted for 106.66 gp), Boots of the Earth (5,000 gp), Belt of Incredible Dexterity +2 (4,000 gp), Small darkleaf studded leather (self-crafted for 258.33 gp), Traveler's Any-Tool (250 gp), Small darkwood buckler (self-crafted for 180 gp)

Feats:
Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 1: Weapon Focus (custom weapon)
Fighter 2: Slashing Grace
Level 3: Quick Draw
Fighter 4: Point Blank Shot
Level 5: Precise Shot
Fighter 6: Rapid Shot
Level 7: Ricochet Toss
Fighter 8: Deadly Aim

Even with this dedicated throwing build, the absolute best this character can manage is a Rapid Shot full attack routine of:
Attack: 8 base attack bonus + 7 Dexterity modifier + 1 Small + 3 Weapon Training + 1 Weapon Focus + 1 enhancement - 3 Deadly Aim = +18
Damage: 1d6 Small custom weapon + 7 Dexterity modifier + 3 Weapon Training + 1 enhancement + 6 Deadly Aim = 1d6+17

Rapid Shot: +18/+18/+13 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+17 damage
Rapid Shot with Point Blank Shot: +19/+19/+14 with a 60-foot range increment, each dealing 1d6+8 damage
Melee full attack: +20/+15, each dealing 1d6+11 damage

I am confident that this build is pointless compared to a fighter archer, who is in turn obsoleted by an inquisitor.

>Animal companions should select their feats from those listed under Animal Feats. Animal companions can select other feats, although they are unable to utilize some feats (such as Martial Weapon Proficiency).

>Animal companions with an Intelligence of 3 or higher can select any feat they are physically capable of using. GMs might expand this list to include feats from other sources.

Seriously, you can't really do it. That being said, try to convince your GM to use the mouth weapons from Ponyfinder, I guess.

Threadly reminder that the Trove link in the pastebin is wrong and needs to be updated

mega.nz/#F!9tQmBSbL!tbmlmKB_IsgDtzzrlXkVVQ

Well, since your GM is apparently allergic to sick-ass sword wolves (and fox-based derivatives), maybe the Kobold Tail Attachments?

Familiars have minimum 6 Int, user.
So they can learn sick headbut weapon skills.

I think there's a feat that allows familiars to use extra item slots they didn't have before, so you could take that.

Yes, but weapon proficiency is explicitly called out as a feat they can't utilize.

I want this as much as the poster does, but it doesn't really work.

Rhoka are objectively the swords for cool people.

So you're saying if, say, I had an Ape, it was intelligent enough, you wouldn't houserule club proficiency is A-okay?

And anything can wear helmets if you custom build em.

AC 19 is perfectly normal for a 3rd-level stalker. I am guessing you have Dexterity 18, a darkleaf leather lamellar, and a +1 dodge bonus to AC from being a stalker. I would strongly advise using a two-handed weapon with Killer's Implements, most likely a nodachi or a custom weapon.

Consider the vigilante archetype for the stalker. In many respects, it is a direct upgrade to the stalker, transforming the class into a tremendously versatile skill monkey and sneak-attacking combatant. Additionally, after 4th-level (whereupon you gain uncanny dodge and another die of sneak attack), you can switch to warder (dervish defender) to gain your Intelligence bonus to AC, along with a handful of 3rd-level maneuvers thanks to Practiced Initiator.

Unless you are dearly invested in Mithral Current, I would not suggest a bushi for a low-level stalker either. The tradeoffs for a stalker are not particularly favorable until about 6th-level (losing a 1st-level stalker art hurts considering just how good they are). Even if you are a great fan of Mithral Current, I would advise dropping Courage in favor of Killer's Implements, which is mandatory for any stalker who is not a brutal slayer.

Ricochet Toss is necessary for a throwing build with BAB 6+. A warpriest (Molthuni arsenal chaplain) can qualify for it due to receiving weapon training, but the rest of the archetype guts the class. Additionally, this is a highly feat-intensive build, and only the fighter can afford it.

A warpriest trumps a fighter in nearly every other case, but this is a rare build wherein a fighter is called for.