Flames of War General: Prokhorovka Bound Edition

Setting up a Prokhorovka megabattle at my FLGS for next month. Trying to balance the lists and reserves is a bit challenging. I want to prevent a big traffic jam for the soviets while still giving them enough tanks to advance.

/fowtg/

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

[Vimeo] The Fallen of World War II

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/1NiDdgaqJOSrTlVyik5IVJCaK2wUCdLSIvcPCoNY-IYw/viewform
tanks.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/105/Default.aspx
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

No need to bump it until we're on page 10

Why would you make a bump the first post of a new thread?

Things you could post about:
A list idea
A game you had recently
Painting or building
Speculation on upcoming releases
Historical info

Why in god's name would you bump?

Hell, I've been away from my table for three weeks and I'll give you one:

I'm painting up the armiesarmy brits at the moment; anyone got a decent reference for the british winter camo?

Bought a couple of Tanks minis today, specifically a Firefly, Cromwell and Comet.

I'm already painting my US tonks in Saunders colours and the German ones like Oarai and Kuromorimine.
Should I also paint these new purchases with St. Gloriana markings?
My alternative would be to go historical and paint em with 11th Armoured markings.

I would, of course, post pics once they're done.

Go with St. Gloriana. I seem to recall that prior to Daarjeling taking over the team, they used Cromwells (or, at least, the previous leader used a Cromwell).

>A list idea

Ok, so I have a potentially stupid idea to run past all of you for Leopard. I posted in the last thread but it didn't really get any responses.

Formation 1: Aufkarungs
HQ - Leopard 1 - 3pts
2 Luch - 1pt
2 Luch - 1pt
3 Leopard 1s - 9pts
3 Leopard 1s - 9pts
3 Leopard 2s - 33pts

Formation 2: Panzergrenadier
HQ - Marder - 1pt
3 Marders with grenadiers - 7pts
3 Leopard 2s - 33pts

Support:
2 Rollands - 3pts

100pts

So that gives me 7 Leopard 1s, and 6 Leopard 2s, with some AA, infantry, and scouts.

Am I going too tank-heavy here? Not enough support?

The only difference is the markings, right? GuP tanks tend to be a single color for ease of animation, and they usually pick it based on the historical one (with a few exceptions).

I haven't seen the Brits in store yet, but I definitely want to pick up a few. I really like the way the Cromwell looks, and historically it'd make sense to pair a couple with a Firefly. Once my friends and I get to the 100 pts level I'll need a fourth tanks - what should that be? I could run a Comet if I only allow myself four points of upgrades...

Anybody knows when pacific digital lists will be realeased?

You could also go for three decently-upgraded Comets.
Still, this is only speaking from experience in two very small matches.

>Colours
Yeah, These would mostly be a green like their Churchill, with their school-specific markings.
Got myself some decal paper (both white and transparent) to get nice-looking markings.

The roland is probably not enough for AA; I would prioritise the gepard and maybe add some of the infantry rockets. A shilka with 4+ FP is not remotely bad air coverage, to be fair.

Speaking of tanks, are there any other games FoW figures can be used for? I know they're historical domain, but I vaguely remember most historicals are 28mm or 1/72-76, and I'm absolutely unsure if people use the multibases, which I'd assume would be a FoW-ism?

Battlegroup is a fairly popular option.

It's playable in multiple scales, with 15mm and 20mm being the most effective ones.
Using FoW minis for that is perfectly viable.

Another option would be A Fistful of TOWs.

Short summary on those two?

>Battlegroup
A more simulationist game that can be played from a platoon to company level.
Haven't played it myself, but have heard pretty good stories about it.

>FFoT
Usually a larger-scale game where each mini represents about 3 vehicles and each infantry stand represents a platoon (though it has rules for 1:1 representation).
Also quite a bit more simulationist but also quite inclusive: has rules for WW2 up to modern times.
Have the rules, never actually played a game because FoW works fine for our local community.

Continuing conversation from previous thread:
Well the Normandy ones look like they have those Camouflage smocks, and honestly I think Helmet Camo works to mark these guys as light infantry - and honestly I don't think I can paint tiny skulls on their helmets.

I'm probably going to put post-war Finnish insignia on the tanks anyway (and probably mixing infantry in summer gear with tanks in winter camo) so I'm probably going to trigger some grogs anyway. As long as there's a 'close enough' resemblance to IRL Finns I think I'll get over it.

Hey guys, I need your help. I'm doing a 2v2 game with against some russians (unknown composition), and I can't decide between the list in the attached PDF and this one:

B Squadron, 15th/19th Hussars (Nachtjager)
Confident Veteran

>Compulsory B Squadron HQ (p.11) - CinC Cromwell IV, 2iC Cromwell VI CS, Cromwell VI CS (245 pts)
--->Sherman ARV (10 pts)

>Compulsory Challenger Platoon (p.11) - Command Challenger, Challenger (285 pts)

>Compulsory Cromwell Platoon (p.12) - Command Cromwell IV, 3x Cromwell IV (380 pts)

>Compulsory Cromwell Platoon (p.12) - Command Cromwell IV, 2x Cromwell IV (285 pts)

>15th/19th Hussars Recce Patrol (p.12) - Command Scout Car, 2x Scout Car (90 pts)

>Scout Platoon (p.15) - Command Wasp Carrier, 2x Wasp Carrier (115 pts)

>Field Battery, Royal Artillery (p.32) - Command Rifle, Staff, 2x Command Rifle, 2x Observer Rifle, 2x OP Carrier, 8x OQF 25 pdr gun (315 pts)

>Air Observation Post (p.30) - Auster AOP (25 pts)

1750 Points, 8 Platoons

Do you have additional challengers? Because you seem a tad low on Anti-tank as it is now. You could of course rely on your companion to cover that for you, though their list right now doesn't really provide enough (aside from on-objective AT). I would probably go for the 15/19th Hussars list, but replace one of the 25pdr platoons and the extra HQ Cromwell with a Challenger.

Wait you want to use them as Finnish or Germans?

I don't think THAT helmet camou would work for infantry in places like mountains (that web like camou) at least not in all the soldiers like the PSC box.

You can use them with all the system you want, Battlegroup for example was mostly designed for 1/72 and 15mm.

Personally i play Bolt Action with the leftovers from my companies boxes without changing the ranges, they feel more realistic.

Damn you now i want my own mountain division army.

Chain of Command is almost 1-1 scale at 15mm. My inner autist craves it.

Finns. Specifically Jaegers/Jaakari(sic), the elite light infantry? Not mountaineers (I don't think the Finns have any mountaineers).

They only seem to be called Jaakari by Battlefront, all the Osprey books I've looked at call them Jaegers.

Still soliciting Questions!
docs.google.com/forms/d/1NiDdgaqJOSrTlVyik5IVJCaK2wUCdLSIvcPCoNY-IYw/viewform

Finns are like mountaineers since they born. BTW if you want to use the German grenadier in normandy as Finn that will not work since finnish had their own guns and uniforms.

Where'd you get your British tanks from, user? I checked into my FLGS to see if they had them and nada - didn't even know when they'd get them in. And to answer your question, definitely St. Gloriana, though maybe you should consider doing Saunders markings on the Firefly.

Anyone else planning on taking part in the Normandy OPS?

OPS?

tanks.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/105/Default.aspx

'Organised Play Seasons'. First part should be starting soon.

Yeah, beat me to it.

The brits

Their german allies

The first part of the Russian force

The rest of the Russian horde

Operation Unthinkable is underway

No retreat, the Russians defend

As the Brits (who also posted ), I want to apologize for my unpainted minis. Two weeks of 55%+ humidity has prevented me from basecoating.

Noice.

Also, was the Challenger as shit as I've been given the impression it was? How did it compare to the Firefly?

>Operation Unthinkable

Ohboyohboyohboy

Challengers are considered better than Fireflies. ROF:3 and Light Tank.

Also Protected Ammo, though Overloaded.

Appreciate the answers, but I mean historically. Did they even dish out enough of them to get a crew consensus?

The units with them preffered them because they could keep up with the cromwells. They much preferred the Comet when it came into play, though, since it was the best of the cromwell and challenger.

I never found anything about Challengers, and after seeing this chart in an osprey book I think I know why.

>25-30

Jesus. At least they tried, right?

PSC British paratroopers SOON.JPG

200 produced in total, because only one fairly small company was in charge of making them.

How does this list look for 1750 pt games at my local game store? I could come up against a huge pile of different lists, so I'm looking for general usefulness. I was hoping to base this list around being very aggressive and forward to account for my lack of artillery.

Is my list retarded? What should I change or move around?

Drop a Panther, consolidate them into one platoon, add a Nebelwerfer Battery of three rocket launchers. Smoke and Artillery support is good to have.

I'm aware of that, but the uniform they did wear was very similar to the German one though.

Glorious Rof 3 tiger picks up two dug in gone to ground anti tank guns

These soviets got some fuck dice man

Oh fuck

And that's it for tonight

What you're forgetting to take into account, is that the finns carried much less extra "details" than the germans, basically making do with their rifle, ammobelt and a breadbag. Meanwhile, the germans added all kinds of extra stuff, making for quite different infantry figures.

We already have british paratroopers.

Well that pic is for the upcoming british paratrooper heavy weapon set.

>Where'd you get your British tanks from, user? I checked into my FLGS to see if they had them and nada - didn't even know when they'd get them in.
At my FLGS; they got in those three tanks and a single Panther yesterday. Also acrylic tokens.
Still waiting for the other expansions and more starters.

>Anyone else planning on taking part in the Normandy OPS?
We got the kit for that as well (excellent deal) and we're certainly planning to run it locally.

Looking a bit further, I think the brits will be painted historically correctly (11th Armoured) while the US and German sides will stay GuP.
Gives me a bit more variety as well.

Scan the cards! Scan the cards! Scan the cards!

Which cards?
The ones you can also just see on the official Tanks website?

We're getting antitank guns in the heavy weapons set?

Watch It seem like yes

Really? I saw only a couple on their preview, is that the whole thing?

These are all the ones you can find on their website

Pretty sure that's all the tanks, but it's no where near all of the upgrades.

here, yeah it's the upgrade cards i'm looking for, on the website i only saw the ones user posted but i would like to know what other cards are in those expansion packs.

Okay, will take a pic of the upgrades I got in a bit.

Shiny.

Am I the only one who fails to see the point of the Super-Velocity shots? Seems that on (almost?) all occasions, you're better of just firing regular. Or am I missing something?

How does the math work when combined with Semi-Indirect Fire?

Don't recall exactly which ones were in which kit, but these are all the upgrade cards in the three expansions, spread over two pics.

Also assembled the three tanks, which will probably get their basecoat later this afternoon.

I'm hoping I can get a few games in at my FLGS next week, since the store owner has his copy of the starter available for use of the damage deck etc.

Now that i think about it for 1 more point Pershing and KV-85 looks better than the Panther.

With sif firing normally and with sif furing supervelocity the mean result is the same (3 hits) if i did the math right while without sif firing nornally yelds 2.5 hits and supervelocity yelds 2.34 hits

Thanks user

On another note now that i see Deadly Gunner SV ammo makes much more sense since throwing more dice means more chances to score crits... i may have to toy a little with these cards ...

I am the only one that don't understand the Racing Driver upgrade?

My rulebook say: The Movement Phase starts with the tank with the lowest Initiative and proceeds up through the Initiative order to the tank with the highest Initiative.

Then +2 initiative in the movement phase don't mean you will move after tanks with even less initiative?

Could be good for Assault Guns with low Initiative so that you can use them more effectively. Or you want them to shoot after something else. Which is good for the Soviets.

Always nice to see pics from games played, thanks user.

Tanks with higher init move later but shoot earlier.

Moving later has some obvious advantages, like being able to engage some of the enemy tanks with all of yours or getting that flank shot.

I added the new cards

Might wanna redo that image without the shifted cards.

This is most excellent. Any particular reason why you moved the T-34/85 card? Right now, it doesn't save any space, and just looks bad.

Yes but the +2 is only in the movement phase because the card say -1 initiative in the shooting phase. So 3 movement initiative and 0 shooting initiative for the SU-100?

I must have dragged it by mistake

I think it's more useful on something like shermans, pershings and t-34-85 so they can outmaneuver panthers and go for sideshots

British Airlanding

Infantry Company, from Market Garden, page 38

Compulsory Airlanding Company HQ (p.39) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (60 pts)

Compulsory Airlanding Platoon (p.39) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 5x Rifle/MG (220 pts)

Compulsory Airlanding Platoon (p.39) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 5x Rifle/MG (220 pts)

Airlanding Platoon (p.39) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 5x Rifle/MG (220 pts)

Airlanding Machine-gun Platoon (p.40) - Command Rifle, 4x Vickers HMG (150 pts)

Airlanding Mortar Platoon (p.40) - Command Rifle, 2x Observer Rifle, 4x ML 3” mortar (140 pts)

Airlanding Anti-tank Platoon (p.41) - Command Rifle, 4x OQF 6 pdr gun (late) (160 pts)

Airlanding Anti-tank Platoon, Royal Artillery (p.54) - Command Rifle, 2x OQF 6 pdr gun (late) (80 pts)

Airborne Reconnaissance Platoon (p.49) - Command Recce Jeep, 3x Recce Jeep (150 pts)

1400 Points, 8 Platoons

So, two boxes and a jeep blister and you have an army. Not a bad way to rope some friends in, and infantry aces is a nice way to ease folks in.

But with a Sherman it would be like:

8 initative for the Sherman in the movement phase, so the Panther move first because lower initiative (7), then in the shooting face the Panther shoot first and then if the German player is the attacker Panzer IVs will shoot before that Sherman because initiative tie since the card say -1 in the shooting phase.

Do remember that even if the tank is destroyed, it gets to fire back. And the very fact that you can fire at that panther at all (hopefully with more than one of your tanks), is a bonus. Being able to do it at the side (while keeping your front to it) is even better.

But that tank would be destroyed even before it could flank the Panther, by the Panther or another Panzer IV and i know you can still fire back even the tank is destroyed but it is still a waste.

I know moving after some tanks helps you to be somewhat "more prepared" but that card downgrade both your shooting and movement initiative.

>moving earlier downgrades your movement initiative
How is moving earlier in any way an advantage, according to you?

I want to start a mid-war british tank regiment. Which book should I read to start with?Is there a general rules book? I couldn't find it.

>But that tank would be destroyed even before it could flank the Panther
I believe you are missreading the turn sequence of Tanks!, it's not like in FoW where i do everything then you do everything it's i move my 5 initiative tank then you move your 7 initiative tank then i move my 9 intiative tank then we all shoot in the same order but backwards.

North Africa.

I can make photos of all the cards of the starter deck including damage cards, but in exchange i'm looking for the battlegroup kursk/fall of reich complete pdfs.

Wow did they really just lift the cover from Nachtjager (means Night Hunter)?

I know how the turn sequence work. I think we are thinking about differents moments in the table, if they are that close to the Panther well it is true the Sherman can use the ability to move after the Panther to flank it. But at range i think it would be another story.

My problem here is well ok the ability to move after another tank is useful, but then why call it Racing Driver? if the purpose of the card is to "read" or "anticipate" the movement of the enemy and why it even make you shoot last and not first?

Yes and it is even the same cover as the Panther G/Jagdpanther platoon box.

>i'm looking for the battlegroup kursk/fall of reich
What about the one in /hwg/?
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

The fall of the reich pdf is complete, Kursk has the rules and the army list but lack the modeling guides and "fluff".

I did the math, and it works out better if you're rolling 1-3 dice. At 4 dice it's a tie, and above that you're better off without it. I can't figure out how the math changes with semi-indirect fire.

But it's better if you're going for criticals, which is a viable strategy - especially since it's the only way to prevent a tank from getting off a shot as it dies.

>Then +2 initiative in the movement phase don't mean you will move after tanks with even less initiative?
Moving last is better. You can react to other tanks' moves.

I still don't like the arbitrary initiative values for the tanks. I can think of a better way to do it, such as purchasing the tank, and then the crew to go in it. Vehicle having the stats, crew having any bonuses, abilities, and base initiative value. And the tank had a bonus or minus to the initiative. Add the two together, with any equipment bonuses/skills, and voila.
Example: Hetzer has -2 to Initiative due to it's cramped and blind nature. Veteran crew has a base initiative of 5. 2pt Commander skill gives you +1 to Initiative. End result is an Initiative of 4.

>Hetzer has -2 to Initiative due to it's cramped and blind nature
That's basically what they've done, except instead of -x or +x they started with an arbitrary value (5?) and added or subtracted from it. Same effect but simpler and more in line with the other stats.