Drachenfest soon fellow larpers!

Drachenfest soon fellow larpers!
One of the biggest larp in the world, thousands of people, and a week long fun.
So who's going there from here?

Also, larp thread

Thinking about getting into larp, mostly for the cosplay but also the actual fighting.

My question is, where on gods green earth can I buy good looking gear.

When googling Ive found a few good looking sets of armour and shit, but when I look at online larp stores what they offer looks like shit.

pic related.

Im not going. time and money constraints. Also, no-one to go with. Doesn't seem like an event to go alone to.

If you don't care about the price, you could go to actual blacksmiths and tailors. Other then that, making clothes is fairly easy yourself.
Just remember that fabrics are important. Nothing synthetic.

It's probably best to look into recreation armour rather then fancy stuff. I know it looks cool but Looks uncomfortable as all hell.

>Also, no-one to go with. Doesn't seem like an event to go alone to.
last year I went alone, although it was the third time I went. It was still awesome

well, the larp shop armours are shit 99% of the time.
Buying from the shelf cloths also most of the time mediocre at best.
If you want to buy things for it and want it to be really good you have to commission it from someone who really knows how to do it. True for armor, cloths and nearly every accessory.

> actual blacksmiths
You know it sounds retarded, but it didn't even occur to me that people still are blacksmiths.

I don't even know if ones nearby.

Your third time, so I assume you knew some people there already. That helps alot.

They'd be a bunch of hobby smiths at the very least going to LARP events. You'd be surprised at the quality of gear a hobbiest can make.

>recreation armour
aww yes. Recreational armour. Best kind of armour to wear on the beach.

well, there are still al ot of smiths. The thing is quality varies a lot and the high end ones are probably out of your financial options. That said, eastern europe has usually the cheapest blacksmith who are still good.
Except for chainmail, India can produce some cheap as fuck chainmail which are still good.

Third time but a completely different camp. Also I have the disadvantage that nobody else speaks hungarian there, and sometimes not even english.

Fuck you english language!

I know that feel

Hmm.. Good point. Well, maybe in a few years I'll have both time AND money to go.

And a good enough kit.

I'm pretty sure you have a good enough kit already. Not everyone has a high-end stuff there.
There are even a few shitty ones.

Is there some kind of dress code there? Can they just turn away the sweatpants wizards etc.

the closed camps have dress code but there are only a few of them. The rest is basically open for everyone. And while the rules says that you should have a fitting costume it's never really explained what counts as good enough.
It'S mostly the peer pressure that makes people dress in a non-shit way.
And it's working as there are just a few of the shit tier costumes there.

good that I can get from serbia to hungary quite fast just by train

you're going there hungarian LARP ?

I'm going there too :)

Will be a monk in the Red Camp, in the french mercenary company Caradoc (our first time there, we went to Mythodea for seven years before it)

Where will you be ?

it will be in Germany though.

Landsknecht camp

Yeah, I'm going.
I won't be part of any camp this time. We wanted to go to the colony but now a couple from our group is expecting a child, so they aren't coming.
Our characters don't fit in anywhere anyway. We are a female Kender and a perpetually stoned druid.

Sounds like you would fit in the Green camp, rather than into the Colony.
Truth to be told I have very little experience with the Colony. All I know that originally they were the part of the blue camp who didn't want to be in the plot and only wanted to party.
And last year they stabbed to death a few people from the Red camp so the Red camp and the Landsknechte went there and killed basically everyone who we could found.
Fun times.

How much does skill come into these things?

I mean, I've studied a bit of medieval combat in uni, but I imagine that at the end of the day numbers win out, because there is no real consequence to going all out.

I mean, from what i've seen on youtube its mostly just frenzied bashing. Are there any pros / cons to just going fuckhuge sword and bashing away, rather than say sword and board?

numbers win. And by that I mean bigger armies win usually.
Although discipline with numbers is the best method.
There are all kind of people there. Some are reenactors, some are from HEMA, some did only larp in their life, some never touched a sword, etc.

No matter what you choose there will be people there who can counter it. But on the other hand no matter what you choose there will be people who can support you in that role if you position yourself correctly.

Although while there are slightly more shieldwalls than pike walls, the later tend to win if the group is actually coherent and disciplined.

French fag here, it's good to know that you're "ally" with the red camp, hit me up if you see us I'll share a pint with you or whatever.

Can you tell me if there's an actual "plot" and if like, it's your first time there, is it easy to get your company/troops involved in it ?

The problem with my company is that, being frenchmen, they barely had anyone who spoke english, let alone german, so they could hardly get into it. I've been recruited to facilitate this, but I'm a bit worried now...

How do organisers monitor / control the numbers in the engagments

What are these camps, and colonies?

Are they just team names?

Yes, but all the teams also camp together and usually have a wall, a leader, and certain subfactions that play a certain role in the plot.
Each camp has a specific "thing". Gold is all about balance, Blue is all about freedom, and Red is all about fighting.
The Colony is also a camp but is special in the sense that it does not really participate in the fighting and it lies directly adjacent to the city. Each group that camps there conducts a certain IC business.

>it's good to know that you're "ally" with the red camp
we aren't. We are merchenaries. fight for the guy who pays the most. Although at that moment our obrist (leader of our camp) tried to show off to the daughter of the red avatar...

>Can you tell me if there's an actual "plot" and if like, it's your first time there, is it easy to get your company/troops involved in it ?
There is, although if you aren't speaking german it's hard to get seriously involved. But there are several other plots than the main one, make your own fun.
And there are a lot of other people who speak little to zero german. I'm one of those guys, but I've seen a guy with a spanish group who couldn't even speak english. You can find plot and things to do if you look for it, but don't except that the fun will come to you if you just sit all day.

What numbers? The number of people who fight in the battles? Because that isn't monitored or controlled at all.

There are several big camps, named after a color, all of them are banded together around an avatar (avatar of the corresponding colored dragon, Dragons created the world here, avatars are sent because dragons are just way too powerful themselves) and a common ideology.
For blue camp the common ideology is freedom, greed and related stuff (none of the ideologies are two dimensionals but it's easier to generalize them this way). it's heavily nautical themed but you can find Ankh-Morporkian cityguards there as well as spanish tercios and such.

All the big camps have a flag, but there are smaller camps which are closed ones and you can't necessearily join them just because you want to.
The Colony (nautical party camp), Dwarf camp (dwarfs), Orc camp (they HAD a flag and were a big camp but they killed their own avatar, stuff happened...) Tribes (everyone basically who doesn't have a shirt or pants really) and of course the Landsknecht camp which are mercenaries.

>they killed their own avatar,
typical orcs.

meanwhile, moar pics

Also, Red avatar is the second best avatar. At least this guy was the second best. As far as I know this year someone else will be playing the avatar because he wants to spend more time with his family during the game.
Anyway he can wonderfully keep a mad face for a whole game, and good at rage fighting too. Was nearly killed by him once while I tried to keep other people to get killed by him after we nearly destroyed the world.

This year it is more likely that we'll just "get introduced" and make ourselves known.

In mythodea we were like 150 but we're about 20 for the Drachenfest...
We have a big wedding planned, I'll make sure to send an invitation to the landsknechts, regardless of our relationship with y'all.

I don't plan on fighting much, but will meet a shit ton of people hopefully, both me and the other monk speak several languages (except german, unfortunately) but we'll find ways :)

What would be the main points of interest for you this coming year ? (dunno if I can ask such question)

>We have a big wedding planned, I'll make sure to send an invitation to the landsknechts, regardless of our relationship with y'all.
if you give us free food and booze we are allies. Otherwise we are neutral to everyone until someone pays us to fight against someone.
You will be surprised how many camps can a landsknecht go without bigger problems.
I mean we aren't liked everywhere but we doesn't give a fuck about bigger politics as long as we don't get money from it and we can always bring some drink to the party.

Personally I don't have any "quests". I will do the landsknecht things that my superiors tell me to do, and in my free time I will meet old friends from various camps, but probably spend a fair amount of time in the blue camp as well because two other hungarians will be there and we will travel together.
And there are the Ankh-Morporkian city watch guys also who are awesome and I always bring a bottle of wine for them.
If you want to build relationships I can introduce them to you., great guys, also have a lot of connections, etc.

I will look like something like this although there will be blue stripes on my hose and if I can finish it then I will have a different leather jerkin too.

and this is also me in the black armour

You got a great spirit. We don't provide any food/drinks but if you show up i'll find a way after the ceremony.
We've decided to do the whole thing in french and english at the same time, so you can definitely show up.

I'd be very happy if you made me meet some people, I'll make sure to get back to you in good wine and drinks. I'll deliver the letter to your camp personnally, so we might have an opportunity to meet there :)

That costume is radical, the dick part is a big plus !

I am not coming, and during this year I will move even further from where it takes place.

I already stood honor guard at my first Drachenfest during a wedding. Although I was in the city guard at the time. But the whole landsknechte camp was also paid to stood guard there too.
I know a few people, not that many but there were times when the second in command of the gold camp made the gold avatar wait so he can meet me and my friends.

Also the codpiece is a mandatory thing in the landsknecht camp. And dick jokes too.
But to be totally honest only two thing is really a must have for a landsknecht: a hat and a mug. Everything else is optional. Even pants.

Where do you live and where will you move?

I live relatively near the german border and will move 500 to 1000km West from there

>500 to 1000km
that's a little vague

that's because I have several options, and the coziest one is Brittany.
That's fucking far away.

well, Brittany is roughly the same distance from Drachenfest than me from Drachenfest.
So it's pretty much doable. And I travel there by a 16 hour train trip.
have you ever tried to bring a 240 cm halberd to a German train? the ticket inspectors first sentence after they decide to speak English is always "This is impossible", like I'm breaking some fundamental rules in reality by having that halberd on the train

Isn't it like a ten kilometer walk uphill from the nearest train station to the area? I'm really glad I'm coming by car and I wouldn't know how to do it any other way. Our tent alone weighs at least 15 kilos.

>Isn't it like a ten kilometer walk uphill from the nearest train station to the area?
there is a bus that goes like 4-5 times a day NEAR to the game area. THEN it's a few km uphill walk from there.
And while my smile isn't really sincere after I walk up to my camp with all the shit I have to bring for a whole week in a backpack, including a halfplate I can say it's not that bad that I won't do it again.
You just have to prioritize and be a little creative on what you bring.

But legend says being creative and finding loopholes are in the blood of hungarians

Is that a flag for hitchhiking?

If you mean the penny market then no. it's just a makeshift cover for a shaman staff that a girl brought I traveled with.
Although I do have a flag there inside of the brown cape.

Are you french ? If you are / are not, know that there's a big group of people that leave from Rennes every year to go to those events and you're welcome to join us.

Hungarian dude, it's settled, do you have a name ? I'll include you in my background as some very old accointance I met a long time ago or whaterver to justify mentioning you in the landsknecht camp (if it is ok with you, of course).

I'll also start talking to my mates about hiring you guys for some duty during the wedding... !

>Follow the cock and swallow
>rapeseed

TRIGGERED
RAPE CULTURE
REEEEEEEEEE

on Drachenfest I go by the name Sonir. Although most probably not everyone in the LK camp will recognize that name. We aren't really big but isn't that small either. Ask for the hungarian dude or something.
Also something that most people tend to forget: While indeed in battles it's a very good thing if you hire the whole LK camp, you can hire just a few landsknechts as well. Obviously you have to go through the "official" channels of my camp. We take money matters seriously.

I'm happy that you recognized it. I triggered more than a few people over the internet with this. Mostly US SJW larpers in the larp haven facebook group.
Although I have to admit that the ORIGINAL idea of the flag wasn't mine

You don't buy good looking gear, you buy real, functional armor. It's either that or foam and synthetic fibers which is an embarrassment for you, your friends, your family and everyone who see you wear it.

Pic is my unfinished kit, wearing my light gambeson. I have another, 1,5cm thick gambeson and hoses for use at the Medieval Armored Combat club. I'm trying to find a place where I can get a real chainmail and not the machine stitched crap you find at larp shops.

It's not actually that expensive to find real stuff and it's actually not difficult to find blacksmiths either- just go to your nearest medieval fair, they should be in full swing through this and next month. Check out their stalls and inspect the stuff until you find something that screams quality. Buy something cheap and ask for their website and ask if they do commissions and then haggle until your mother is ashamed of you.

I've never been to any larps or re-enactments since only the fairs are within my range but I've always been interested in it. I hope to go to one next year.

>LARPing

Get a load of this guy

How much money do you have? $1,000 will get you good armor.

well, hopefully you aren't in the US because larps there aren't that great generally.
Other than that it's like every hobby, mileage may vary

Southern Sweden, I can get to Drachen in less than a day by either train or car.

then probably war heart/Krigshartja/whatever is closer to you awesome larp in sweden, smaller than Drachenfest of course but the average quality of cloths are slightly better.

Stop posting historical re-creation photos. These aren't LARPS. I don't see any tabards or cake makeup at all. Stop lying to poeple about what they're going to see.

I'M GOING TO POST ALL THE PICS AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Go back to your shitty cosplay threads you faggots.

Lol u a lil salty bitch.

No one is replying because no one cares.

They have a containment thread for their autism on /cgl/. They should stay there instead of spamming pictures on a thread no one cares about because cosplaying is for losers.

>Clothed in furs and decorated with bone
>Apprantly stil managed to invent welding

How bored are you?

To hang around in a thread with yourself and two people you don't even share a hobby with.

it's magic, ain't gonna explain shit

Internal consistency is the hallmark of quality.

>Implying I don't just comment on your autism as I scroll past the thread.

3 replies to a thread that's not for you, yeah not autism.

Any more shots of that Chaos Warrior?

well, at least half of the goblins in fantasy dressed like that. Sometimes internal consistency is overruled by the rule of cool. Which is subjective of course

>Implying people can't take the piss out of retards.
This is Veeky Forums.

You are an autistic retard. And Larping is for autistic retards.

Just making sure you're aware of that fact friend.

Urrgh, leather, pleather, plastic, aluminium and plushies in one great heaping mess.

>Sometimes internal consistency is overruled by the rule of cool. Which is subjective of course

Personally i think internal consistency and standards in general IS the highest rule of cool.

Sometimes. And sometimes people want to have light hearted fun without putting too much effort into details.
Everything has it's time and place.