Mecha Mercs Skirmish (Hanger Thread)

News Report:
The war in the desert continues to escalate. While the IF Taskforce has pushed back the forces of N.O.R.D and Anuncia around the Principality of Beskaosia, the Republic of Zanvra has launched an invasion across the inland sea, hitting targets across the east coast of Droerus and Southern Landum. Landum’s navy is now embroiled in a running battle with Zanvran warships while home defence units have suffered heavy casualties. Analysts predict that Landum will have to redeploy forces from the desert in order to contain this new threat.
There are also fears about the Zanvran attacking Odros where the IF maintain a radioactive materials processing facility. While the IF sanctions the sale of nuclear material for power generation it is not too difficult for those same materials to be weaponized. Historically the IF has kept the proliferation of nuclear material tightly regulated but with the recent conflict in the desert tying up peace keeper resources many of the international regulations are increasingly difficult to enforce…

>cont

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/CognisQM
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=cognis
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByBa8MyYxN52WXBaSGRiNHZlaG8&usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Welcome to the Mecha Mercs Skirmish Campaign.

This is a tactical turn based collective game where each player takes on the role of a mech pilot. As the campaign progresses the players will accumulate a supply of resources which can be used to build up a persistent pool of mechs and equipment, but watch out! If your pilot dies you could lose it all and be forced to start again with an inferior mech.

Right now the game has 15 active players. This is only counting surviving players that were active in the last campaign turn.

I have 6 slots available for new players. 2 of which are reserved for dead players re-rolling a new character. If you have rolled a character in the previous thread but not participated in a mission yet please do so again in this thread.
(Looking at you Nilhus, Bob doe, Haze and Nyx)

QM twitter: twitter.com/CognisQM

Previous Threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=cognis
(Scroll to the bottom)

Player Resources: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByBa8MyYxN52WXBaSGRiNHZlaG8&usp=sharing

>Cont

Lots of changes to the rule set for this phase.

Version 1.7:
-Nimbus Satcomm Jammer now grants +4 Edef. Nimbus was always meant to have high Edef and it seems weird that equipping it with it's signature system leaves it with lower Edef than other mecha with ECM modules.
-Stratus Active Scanner price increased to 6 but now auto detects at half sensor range as well as auto locks. The -5 to Edef penalty has been replaced with the power surge attribute.
-Summit Heavy Laser price increased to 7.
-Summit Mini-Gun range reduced to 5, price decreased to 5, removed the heavy attribute.
-Apex Blade now takes up two arm hard points, costs 4 cred and does 8 damage.
-GGA P-spike penetration buffed to 17.
-Jump icons and high tech icons added to ECCM drones, always should have been there, updating for posterity.
-Units get +4 to detect stealth units within 4 hexes, always should have been the case, but I seem to have forgotten to put it in after the hiatus.
-Combat Knuckles universal weapon removed. Now all mecha have a universal bash attack with the same stats.
-GGA auto rifle now a universal weapon.
-New GGA Company weapon: Snub Recoiless Rifle.
-LHI Reactive Armour now grants only 2 DR against Beam attacks and 8 DR against Solid Ammo and Mag Rail attacks.
-Minelayer Missile now deploys an extra mine.
-Multi-role fighter now carries 4 HK missiles and 2 AA missiles. Deployment cost reduced to 10.
-Electronic Support craft deployment cost reduced to 10.
-Mechapult price reduced to 40.
-Reaper Class has been reworked.

Now I believe a certain someone took issue with the way you could "shoot the ground" with blast weapons. If you wish to continue the discussion and suggest a different way to handle it now's your chance.

...but first!

The mood is solemn around the base as the personnel assemble to pay their final respects to Hetros and Wechuge. Both Kerry and the Chief carry a single urn a piece. Neither pilot had left enough coherent remains for a coffin. Wechuge had to be scrapped off the insides of his crushed mech, the resulting pile of meat and bone cremated. Hetros hardly left any remains behind at all, so thorough was the destruction of his machine that there was barely anything left to cremate.

As per usual Kerry delivers the eulogy. One can tell the burden of performing this ritual repeatedly is starting to wear on him. The Chief stands quietly behind him, a knowing look of sympathy on her face.
“Today we pay our respects to our fallen comrades. Hetros and Wechuge were among our best and our strength is greatly diminished by their loss.”

The line is delivered loud and strong, like it was well rehearsed. Kerry pauses for a second and when he speaks again his voice is smaller, more earnest.

”You know as I was filing the requisite paper work that comes with a pilot’s death I had to archive their service records. Both of them were solid pilots with battlefield achievements many would envy, but they were so much more than that. As our comrades, as people, they were so much more…”

“Wechuge was one of our staunchest fire support pilots, but he also supported us off the battlefield. Always willing to buy extra equipment for new pilots if it meant they had an increased chance of survival. It seems the most bitter of ironies that his machine was one of the most fragile. I was watching the tactical feed for that fateful operation. When the enemy charged his flank he turned his guns on the one that threatened the client rather than saving himself. Lesser men would have looked to their own defence first, choosing to risk their client’s safety rather than their own. That Wechuge chose differently is a testament to the outstanding quality of his character.”

>cont

“As for Hetros, if Commander Merein is our unit’s heart then Sub-Commander Jistin was our mind. He was a hard man with strong convictions, he was always the one with the plan pushing us to do what had to be done. He lead by example too, often taking the most dangerous role as the invisible tip of the spear, a role that ultimately got him killed. But he knew the risks. Hetros was not a man given to foolhardiness. I think he went into battle knowing that this might be the time when his luck ran out and had the courage to live with that. He was also an honourable man; for all his fierce pragmatism there were certain lines he would not cross. And he genuinely believed in striving to build a better world. Which is more than can be said for most of our kind. ”

“So as we honour our fallen comrades let us draw strength from their example. The coming months will test us like never before.”

Right, have your feels. I'm off to have lunch, lots of stuff to talk about once I get back.

[F]

Which of the new guys is going dakka gunner again?

Irving: "Hello again Camels I'm back with some devastating kit that will finally tempt you to the dark side. Peace Keeper gear has been kinda hard to come by lately but who needs that shiney shit when you've got these:"

"So I met a guy, ex-AESR employee, rigged me up a few gamma emitters. They're directed energy weapons with a very high level of penetration, they'll cook off ammo and fuel as well as turn vehicle crews into popcorn... just make sure you use the proper shielding on the weapon housing or it will literally give you cancer."

"I've also got some terror drones. According to legend they were designed by Guye Co engineers to run up to vehicles, cut their way inside and eviscerate the crews. Haxton Guye canned the project because he considered the weapon unmanly, everyone else said that it was just plain wrong. The IF promptly made drones of it's type illegal shortly after. They're not easy to find these days but I know a few rogue engineers who like to build em for shits and giggles."

"Also: Chemical rounds! They melt armour... and everything else which is apparently too cruel for some."

"Finally for those of you folks who want to stay good little boys and girls I've got some HESH rounds and LHI gear that fell of the back of a truck... if you know what I mean."

"I also had some weapons grade uranium for you but the raid in Odros went bad. Only managed to secure a little bit of material that's already been spoken for."

Cable Guy:"I know some of you are still grieving but we need to appoint a second in command. In a regular unit the Commander would appoint one but I believe that whoever takes Hetros's place needs to have the support of at least some of the unit. After reviewing the performance of you guys I have selected a possible candidate based on their overall engagement with the unit and organisational abilities. I am hereby nominating Malek for the position."

The Chief: "I would like to nominate Cryptic."

Cable Guy: "But isn't he a little green?"

The Chief: "It's not like he's fresh out of boot camp, he had experience before joining us. I see potential in him and I think with the proper guidance he will grow into the role."

Cable Guy:"Very well. I also know that Alice wishes to be considered for the position, if anyone else wants to do so as well please step forward now."

Okay people time to spend that payout, pay respects and start the process of choosing the next 2IC.

Once all the candidates have stepped forward we will hold the vote.

Mission choices for the next campaign turn will be posted a bit later.

Posting Company Support Assets. Current Company Cred balance is 79.

Also I would like to thank you guys for playing this quest. I know I'm a bit aloof at times but that's only because I have a lot on my plate between processing, rules clarifications, content preparation and RL. I do enjoy reading the RP stuff you guys do as well as the fan art even if I don't always say so.

"Just because there are crates of ammo littered all over my hanger space and a pile of beer cans that I haven't gotten rid of yet doesn't mean I'm not organized. I know exactly where all my gear is in that mess.

Now some of you may scoff at what I load out on my mech, but we're literally risking our lives for money and if that 'illegal' piece of equipment will help, I see no problem in using it.

Now... Where did my bank book go..."

The large man at the back of the room speaks up over the heads of the rest of the assembly, his face clouded and his eyes distant as his deep baritone rumbles:
"Stronger is the comrade left behind.
Feet firmer planted with unwavering stride.
Sully not the glory of those who have died.
Dash ever faster to your doom with sweltering pride."

I'm neutral, frankly, but RPing an old soldier demands it's due........of angry old man drama
The large man regards the pair discussing the nominees with a coldly inscrutable gaze.
"Letting the rookie with no grasp on the company inter-personal dynamics have the responsibility of leading us-for practical scenarios- in a time when spare is dead and shit has hit the fan sounds that good to you huh?
So be it.
Sounds like a good way for an officer to seize up under stress and get his charges killed with bad orders."
His gaze hardens to visibly pained anger, muscles pulling taut as he attempts to contain himself, his gaze coasting over cryptic momentarily.
"If that happens again I will not be the one to bear the scars"
Hmmm. I'm curious.
What's the chief impression of Horst?

*The chiefs impression of horst

>Nyx still hasn't found a lighter, but is watching the interactions between his future comrades with interest
Just checking in to show my face, I'll be waiting till decisions on spending/ new 2IC have been made before rolling up my char

> Anti-missile system
> Negate the first two missile attacks...
Is that the first two per mission, or per turn?
If mission, can the pioneer restock it?

> 2IC
Dartboard concept: why pick only one? The 3C is growing into a new way of operating, launching multiple missions simultaneously, shouldn't the command structure evolve with it?
A pair of Seconds could give us the flexibility to operate in multiple threatres with command presence at all of them.

It takes dying to get the Chief to hold Wechuge tenderly (in public). ;_;

"Yeah, RIP."

"My vote's for uh, Alice, because yeah."

"Ohoho, time to go shopping~."

>35 credit payout from Movie mission, -4 for upkeep, 31 credits remaining.
>Purchase from public equipment: Stiletto Targeting Suite, Thruster Array. -7 credits, 24 credits remaining.
>Purchase from Black Market: Threat Assessment Module, x2 Gamma Emitters. -18 credits, 6 credits remaining.
>Will hold off on buying a pair of EMP Missiles until we start planning the next mission, just in case I can borrow some from the company pool instead.

The tall, scarred woman stashes the large crate containing the second Gamma Emitter in the corner of her hanger space. "Right, now where did I leave that wrench..."

[Crocodile] =Killer Kau=
Ablative Armor
HP: 18/18
Torso: Sensor Pod, Stiletto Targeting Suite, Threat Assessment Module
LA: (GE) Gamma Emitter
RA: (LZ) Laser Rifle
Legs: Thruster Array

I'll abstain the commander vote for the moment

In the meantime got about that LHI license boss? I think we'd benefit from that mech line up, I'll donate to the cause.

What now you want to Waifu her too?
She sees him as a fellow old soldier, likely outlived or fell out with their old comrades, She also thinks he's a bit too hot tempered but doesn't really hold it against him.

What shame, 200 more squats and you would have unlocked her first event.

Hmm... maybe I'll add a squad leader rank for in mission stuff.

Tragedy was late to the gathering and was standing in the back of the room. Not knowing all of the details of the recent operations, having just returned from the field herself, she called up to the front. "All due respect, Chief --Cryptic, before we get to the voting proper, I have to say that the new guy is new. He might not be green, but he's not going to know the ins and outs of how we do things here and there hasn't been enough time to build up a solid foundation of respect, familiarity, synergy, and trust. I need a pretty damned good pitch to throw a vote his direction. So," her gaze drifted from the Chief over to rest on Cryptic, "sell it, Champ."

>Not immediately waifuing anything even vaguely feminine or that can be made feminine
>Not immediately waifuing tragedy after that recon image
>Browsing Veeky Forums
Plz
Chiefs impression in quite right...
I actually haven't decided how old Horst is except that he's in the "Old as dirt for a career soldier" range of 30-45, if chief is in that range then maybe he admires her blend of femininity and ROCK HARD PECS, I can't recall her age though
Time to ask questions about the world again
Are countries that have backed the IF up until now having second thoughts as full scale war is erupting?
What will become of the movie shoot footage?
How does Neromius feel about the dissolution of peace?
How soon until Neromius marches to a land grab?
On a scale of 1-10 how stereotypically Neromian is Horst?

(Cryptic's eyes boggle as the Chief gives her nomination. This was not something he could have ever expected. As the eyes of over a dozen hardened mercenaries turned to regard him with interest and anticipation he gulped, and stepped forward).

"Uh, right. Look, Chief with all due respect- and I actually do mean that you're due respect, this isn't that passive aggressive shit, I'm no leader. I'm an effective enough subordinate, you can point me in the general direction of something you want gone, let me loose and count on me to get the job done. And I won't lie, I like to do my homework whenever possible, intel is important and it saves lives. If we'd known about those mines I might not even be giving this speech right now. And assure you I can stay cool under pressure.

Those are the things I can do. What I can't do is see the big picture. I have enough trouble managing my own combat space. I can't command respect, I've only been with the company one mission, and I saw one of your most experienced vanish in a hail of gunfire. I can't just waltz in and slip into his shoes, and when missions are dangerous enough to kill your best men you NEED someone who knows the score. Tragedy is right, you can't just appoint the FNG as subcommander of your combat teams without damn good reason. Like if they were some tactical wunderkind or something.

I'm not that person. Frankly I've never met that person, but I think that the closest substitute you're going to get,"

(He directs his gaze at a certain member of the crowd)

"-is Malek. Ever since I got here all I've seen him do outside of combat is organise, compile and analyse information, then offer calmly reasoned input based upon it. He has a keen tactical and strategic eye, and the capacity to apply his intel to the field. He's also been around the block enough to know the score. To be honest I was intending to nominate him for the job even before Kerry gave his recommendation."

(cont)

(cont)

"So thanks Chief, I'm flattered. Thanks, but no thanks. I can't accept this recommendation."

(He gives her a respectful nod, then turns to walk away, then pauses as if in thought before walking back up to the front).

"Oh, one more thing. When I saw what happened on the last couple of missions I realised how easily death can come to the unprepared. So as a tribute to Wechuge, I'd like to do this:"

>Credit 25
>Purchase redundant subsystems x4 (-4 credits)
>Give redundant subsystems to Nihilus, Bob Doe, Hazy and Nyx

"I don't have much money, but you guys have none. When Hetros went down I realised I wanted any chance I could get to avoid the same fate. And I want you to have that chance too. It might not be a shield or a fancy new armour mod, I'm kind of on a budget here. All I can offer you is this. A second chance in a can."

(He walks away now, but delivers one parting line over his shoulder)

"Don't worry about paying me back. Just do what Wechuge once told me to do.

And pay it forward."

>Hammers [F]
"Hetros and Wechuge were better soldiers and friends than anyone in our profession has a right to expect. They will be sorely missed, on and off the battlefield."

"Irving, that terror drone is terrifying but very cute. I want one to carry my coffee. Without buzzsaws."
>What's the price for a Tachikoma?

>I am hereby nominating Malek for 2IC
"Wow. I'm honoured Mr Kerry. Didn't think you were sweet on me like that! I'll certainly put my name in the hat."
((OOC: I would be thrilled to receive that responsibility, but from July 22nd I'm going to be vanishing from the internet due to IRL reasons for three weeks. Might be able to provide help with tracking company info from time to time, but won't be able to go on missions. I'll leave it up to the vote.))

"I don't have a lighter, but will a welding torch do? It's that or blasting tape."

"Bloody hell. Was not expecting that. It's true I take alot of notes, always have since I was an army engineer. When you spend that much time around high explosives, you're careful or dead."

>shouldn't the command structure evolve
>maybe I'll add a squad leader rank
"I've been feeling our command chain needs to be a little more flexible for a while. Perhaps we could introduce a luitenant/captain rank between vet and 2IC? That way it's clear who's in charge on the ground if neither of the high-ups are there."

((Oh yes, and when I vanish in a week, I'll be temporally donating my tac-net-hub to the company pool. Can't let you go without while I'm gone!"))

I prefer to keep my cigarillo's intact... And either of those seem a little too big.

The problem with an office full of ghost was that the machinery of the world ceased up, gummed in the works by memories and missing people.

"Jistin, I need an overview of the Landum placements along this border position, can you..."

"Ah"

It was getting to be very quiet.

I like the idea, Chuck, and I'm as interested as you are. A new license helps everyone. Balanced with a modernization programme though, the choice of which is a little harder.

>"I also had some weapons grade uranium for you but the raid in Odros went bad. Only managed to secure a little bit of material that's already been spoken for."

It was good most of the transactions took place over the displaced medium of phones. It'd be bad for business relations if Irving saw him smile.

"Well, it's a volatile business"

Right you lot, get with the traditional knife fight already. I warn you, Malek is a dab hand with a blade - I once saw him cut three slices of cucumber in the same move. C'mon, watching newbies stab each other for the vague promises of advancement is one of the only forms of joy left to me.

No? No you're not going to -- All right. Quitters.

Horst can be heard sighing, then laughing as cryptic walks off. A deep, rich, chuckle lathered in good humor draining the pent up tension inside him before looking at tragedy with a smile.

"Guess he didn't want to sell it.....I think I like him"
>Horstwillrememberthat.jpg
>All these mixed opinions on what to company buy
Hrrmmmm, fuck it
Oi
I'll pitch in 3 of the five credits needed for that 1 company cred conversion if you'll toss in 2, that way it'll be an even 80 creds, enough to buy the license(which is 80 right?)

(kestrel watched silently in the corner as the funeral was held.)
'how many is it now? why won't it stop? It's even getting worse. Hetros... Wechuge...'
(kestrel changed the direction of the view out the window.)
'Am I even supposed to be here? why am I taking such a dangerous job? why did THEY take such a dangerous job? even good people like them are cut down in blink of an eye, there is no justice on who falls. just unlucky people who happened to be too close to the enemy at the wrong time. this isn't right. this isn't fair...'
(suddenly, kestrel's face turned sour.)
'No. if this isn't fair, then maybe It's me who should ride along with it. yes, maybe I should not keep my cruddy civilian "don' do evul" mindset. I need to keep up, kill enemies faster, then maybe our people will die less. they should die less...right?'

"hey, black market guy, how exactly do these terror drones... work? are they hard to take off?"
how does the terror drone function in terms of defense? does it still keep it's defense even if it's latched on someone else? it has to be shot down by the enemy's allies via called shot, what does it roll against?

"I'm in support of malek. primarily because experience, and the fact that malek pilots a lord, as a support mech. which means malek's farther from the frontlines, which means not getting sh- safety. I mean safety. malek's safe position would help preserve the line of command.

You know what, fuck it more.

Transfer five creds to company pool conversion
Pilot Horst
Creds 33-5=28
Company creds 79+1(5)=80

"Yeah, but would you rather your commander be fighting alongside you with a front view of the situation or sitting way in the back?"

>Nyx holds up a small paperback book.
Rovil's "Military Theory"
"A commander who can only see the enemy infront of him will lead well, but win poorly"

"Do you want the chain of command exposed to risk or do you want it safe? COME THE FUCK ON, HETEROS DIED WHILE LEADING-
...fuck. I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

"I- uh, what I meant is that, if commanders are tied to the front lines, they would be too tied up with combat to lead properly. there is a reason why modern armies use long range communication. if they are seeing things from afar, they would obviously see more, and get the general situation. and as I said, they are at less risk when they are simply farther from combat.

Izzy bats the book away, "Oh please, I'm from the Rovillian Collective, don't quote that stuff at me. He's also said a leader unwilling to fight alongside his troops in the first trench might as well be an ocean away."

Someone said something about an alligator in the stash is there such a thing and can I have it?

>48301013
I'm less butthurt about shooting the ground by now, but I still think it's to easy at def 4, most artillery weapons are very strong already and giving them an easy workaround for what so far has been (IMHO) the best defense against them is troubling me. I also assumed that Def included the ability to make use of available cover.
Side note: Can shots scatter beyond their weapons max. range?

>48301026
F "Two heroes come home."
I secretly envy the dead for their eulogies.

>each pilot finds a new video message from gunman in their inbox. Opening it you see him sitting behind a desk in his neatly cleaned empty hanger.
"Hello comrades. I take the death of Hetros Jistin as hard as all of you, I saw his Mech be reduced to shreds of steel with my own eyes and only narrowly escaped death at the hands of his killer myself.
I know however, that his heart and soul belonged to the 3C and ,should you let me, I will work to strengthen the 3C so that his and all the other heroes we are privileged to serve with's memory will echo through eternity.
Those of you who know me well know that I value 3 things in life: Overwhelming firepower, Coordinated all-out assaults, and decisive victories. These I vow to bring to the Company if you deem me worthy of Hetros' legacy."

Horst died a little more inside when nobody commented on his attempt at poetry. who will sing poetry that beautiful at his funeral huh?!! HUH!!???

> 5:1 conversion rate for company creds.
> The only certainties are death and taxes. Trust the Wessen Nevik dead guy on that.

>Oh yeah!? Well let's see you tax BOOLET hahahahahahahahahahaaa...oh wait.
You gunna reroll?
Is hetros lurking?

>Someone said something about an alligator in the stash is there such a thing and can I have it?
nope. It's from someone going AWOL and cognis just froze it just in case they come back

>new video message
(kestrel silently watches the video to the end)
'firepower? all-out assaults? firepower I can agree with... but assaults?'
(the tapping sounds of kestrel's fingers on the table becomes faster in frustration.)
'decisive victories he says...through all out assaults? at what cost?'

Oh? All right then.
--
The knight in its armor
Strong in spirit, long in stride
Holds fast, stands firm
Advancing foes denied

That knight died.
--

Sorry.
I'm bad at euologies.

==Sortie Reminder==

The next mission we're apt to go on would be the GuyeCo Sabotage mission DVORAK wouldl like us to attend to.
I'll need 10 pilots.

From his position in his hanger, wiring the Kau crown to the massive bleached skull, Horst can vaguely hear what sounds like someone pounding a desk with an air hammer

*Sob*
Thanks...just.....have tragedy sing it

It'd be my delight to come along. If we're going up against GuyeCo my new loadout would be perfect.

COORDINATED all-out assault: move up far enough for everyone to bring their overwhelming firepower to bear in a way that allows to kill or disable all enemies that may return fire.

>"And pay it forward."
Tragedy's jaw went slack for a second before she recovered and looked away with a smirk. "That motherfucker..," she murmured with a shake of her head.

Tragedy pushed off from the wall she was leaning on and presented a beaten up old lighter to Nyx. "Here, I don't smoke but my practical side demands I have one."

She glanced back at Horst. "If the Chief's right, he'll get his spot eventually."

Only if we're all singing it.

Tragedy's in.

(OP)
What kind of intel do we have to work with?

Tragedy listened to the message after she had finished wire welding the names of her recently fallen comrades into the dedication plate she had remounted onto Haros, the Wimp she piloted. She stopped in the middle of pouring herself a glass of raki at hearing Gunman's three things. "Hm," she commented, and filled the glass the rest of the way before pouring whatever was left over the names. A silent prayer for the dead, and Tragedy sat down to her meal while contemplating the candidates.

>Waiting for company purchases to build.
>Also trying to decide: Ithaqua or Manitou?
>If I die many more times, I'm gonna run outta themed names.

Nyx nods in thanks, before taking out a small silver case and pulling out a cigarillo and lighting it.

"I'll be coming for the mission. but I need to buy something first. speaking of which, did we buy any licenses? or did we just do with rookie programs?"

"you do know that most of our forces are geared more towards defense than offense, right? of course, the next mission, and all missions we're going to fight later, is going to involve assaults, whether we like it or not. I am aware of this. However. Although I could be acting too cautious, I believe that you should take this info into consideration."

>And pay it forward.
"uh... what did Cryptic mean by this?"

Nothing has been brought yet, on the last mission thread there was a debate between a license, or hunter doctrine and another upgrade, either refit or pioneer
I assume he meant give it to another rookie when more join. use it to keep them alive.

I'm in.

As it stands shots can scatter beyond their range. Max scatter is 4.

One thing you kept bringing up is that you were trying to avoid the explosion. Well the thing is to me explosions are not rockets from doom or quake. They are huge, kind of like they are in real life. If you are within the blast radius you are caught in an all encompassing volume of force, or in the bullet hose's case an all encompassing blizzard of exploding bullets.

I think the fact that it's easy to hit an empty hex is offset by the fact that blast damage decays.

I could come up with a more complex system for blast damage that would address your concerns but I need to keep things from getting too complex lest processing weighs down on me.

So how about this: When shooting at the ground there is a set 25% chance that the blast will scatter, no hit modifiers apply. Scatter distance is randomly rolled on a D4 in this case.

Plus if you want an alligator so bad, just buy one. It's cheap, you can get a fully kitted out one for around 21 Cred, less if you borrow liberally from the company stash.

>eulogies
It's the least I can do to soften the blow of losing almost everything.

Called shot to the relevant body part so you are actually using your friend's Def value.

The Chief: "Very wise of you Cryptic. I see potential in you, but perhaps now is not the time to develop it."

>Intel
I want to tie up replacing the 2IC before I hand out the missions for the next campaign turn.

Current Candidates:
Malek (Master of Lists)
It's okay if you drop out for a few weeks IRL, there'll be others to make decisions.

Alice (Victory through warcrimes!)

Gunman (Overwhelming Coordinated Decisions!)

If no one else wishes to step forward shall we start voting?

Forgot to mention:

We'll be doing this in the style of single transferable vote.

So list all candidates in your order of preference. This is important to how I'm going to build the new chain of command.

I won't be around until later, but I thought I'd ask since I get a free Redundant system anyways with Combat Tech... can you have more than one equipped?

Exactly that

Wendigo bought some armor for Tragedy who then bought some armor for Wechuge

#
He pulled a speke spigel and walked off to the sound of a be-bopping cowboy type theme...

We've been using"pay it forward" when we buy rookies gear, I dunno who bought what but someone bought me a tac shield and ablative for my starter komodo I've bought a good share of ablative for rookies, for example, and rather than have then return the kindness to me, the rookie would pay the kindness forward to another rookie in need later down the line.
#
I vote
1 malek.
2gunman
3 Alice
I haven't seen much in the way of tactical call outs, so this is mostly gut feeling.
(And people (myself guiltily included)tend to do what seems best from their perspective anyways)

plz gimme dat juicy world relations lore seen here (You) # I-I need it mang

I vote

Malek
Gunman
Alice

Whatever happens with the war, any organisation who isn't on the winning side who commits warcrimes will be stamped on hard by the victors. This operation is 20 mech pilots, and full support crew. I don't fancy our odds against even a minor nation.

Alice
Malek
Gunman

Has Alice committed any actual warcrimes or used any illegal equipment? As far as I know she's only used equipment that is frowned upon, not illegal.

You think this war business is bad?
Just wait till we get the real bifrost plot kicking again

Ithiqua
A guy(gal??) With a name that almost sounds like a venerated gun maker is top-notch
You scared your singing won't hold up solo?
I better write that into my will

Alice seems perfectly willing to use any illegal equipment. I have no issue with an individual using it, but having a commander who does it sends the wrong message. If a commander gets prosecuted, so do the men serving under them.

I like Ithaqua

A defensive mech at the tip of the spear is valuable as a failsafe. And Chuck is one of our most valuable pilots.
But make no mistake, if nobody wants to buy into my combat doctrine it's best not to vote for me.

You don't need to make special rules for shooting the ground. Just make it a little harder to hit and it will work the same without circumventing skills that give hit boni.

I'd also like to bring up my concern with the absence of powerful options for snipers in the Gunner skill's 3rd tier. I'd like to see "roll twice pick highest" for called shots with single shot weapons as +2 to hit really isn't great compared to shooting twice as much and Skills like ambush and automated aggression. It would also stop rapid fire from being the best for critting which further drives snipers into obscurity.

Skills that add damage would also be better balanced if they added X - the weapons ROF damage as they then would add the same damage potential to all weapons.

Now a question: If I scrap my mech I don't have to pay upkeep right? That's why it gives less cash than repairing and selling it.

>Credits: (probably) 30
>Buy Alligator (10)
>Buy 2 Grenade Launchers (4)
>Grab ablative armor from stash
>Buy Tac Shield (3)
>(probably) re-respec to [G-Ma-Al] (10)

I have to agree with this. As someone who wants to play a sniper, more specifically a sniper with stealth, Ambush gives everything Marksman does, with more bonuses, and it is possible to move the same turn as firing.

1Malek
2 Gunman
3 Alice

I actually think Alice would make a great squad commander, she might be pragmatic and ruthless, but she's also cool and above all proffesional. I'd just prefer to see her making tactical decisions instead of executive ones, it seems more in her wheelhouse and we could avoid international infamy.

Sure, we'll with that.

>boni
Are you Dutch?

Disregard the last question, my math is off and I'm stupid. You should still vote me though, if you like big guns and overlapping fields of fire.

Almost, I'm German and my mother is from east Frisia

I vote for following:

1.Malek
2.Alice
3.Gunman

"you know, to be honest, I wouldn't mind picking two or all of them as secondaries in charge. they could each be the leader of 4 mechs. so four groups of five mecha teams(with varying numbers depending on where to deploy and what to accomplish on that mission), with each led by officers. and each officer can moderate their team members depending on the mission.
also, when do we vote for license/modernization? after this vote?"

>Called shot to the relevant body part so you are actually using your friend's Def value.
"well then, I no longer have intrest. I thought going black would net me something to annihilate enemies, but nothing strikes me as 'press to absolutely murderize'. and that warcrime microwave gun is too short ranged. I had too much difficulties last mission where enemies were JUST out of my reach. 6 hex doesn't cut it."

>If I scrap my mech I don't have to pay upkeep right?
No. it was in last thread:

>You might still need to by reason of "who would buy an un-maintained mech?"
-Borealis

>This has been asked before. If you take a mech to a battle, you must pay maintenance on it, and the fee comes straight out of your payout without touching your account. It represents alot of different things including paying our support staff, like the pilots who carry the giant box-on-legs to and from the battlefield.
>And as Borealis said, who'd buy a mech without fuel or ammo, and with bloody great holes in the armour plating? Other than Hassan, who only pays in camels.
-Malek

No matter how many simulations I ran... I couldn't bring them back... I'm sorry. f
I-I'll go back to the sim now.

I'll vote for Malek.

>IF Backers
Currently Molvania, Landum and Norden Nevik staunchly support the IF. Zanvra, NORD, Anuncia, Neromius and Droiqubar are actively fighting against it.

All the other countries are watching the developing situation but haven't committed to a course of action yet.

>What will become of the movie footage?
You're not sure. The film studio lost a lot of money paying you to cover their asses. They may be facing bankruptcy. Time will tell if the footage gets made into anything.

>Neromius and the dissolution of peace.
They don't care. Neromians have never been afraid of a fight.

>How soon till Neromius marches to a land grab?
As soon as enough support can be rallied within the country.

>How Neromian is Horst.
7? Ultimately I have only laid down a broad template. It's up to you how you want to play out your character within it, hell you can even play him as someone who rejects/subverts those values.

So just crank up the Def then? I'd set it at 8 but that's weird since there are mooks with 6 and it's weird if hitting the ground is harder than hitting a mook... but whatever. I'll put it at 8 then.

>Roll twice pick highest for Gunner tier 3.
Sure, done.

>Damage buffs doing X-RoF
I'll think about it. It's a good idea but some fringe cases might cause the math to break down.

>If I scrap my mech I don't have to pay upkeep right?
More like if your mech was wrecked you don't need to pay upkeep cus if you want it back you already have to pay to restore it. Either way: no.

>it's weird if hitting the ground is harder than hitting a mook
Think of it being like trying to hit the right spot to catch something in the splash damage. Maybe only make it higher if there are active targets in the blast?

yeah, that way bombarding cover/fortifications will be easier, but trying to land hits with splash damage alone is more tricky

On second thought, maybe only make it harder if any potential targets moved on the previous turn.

I don't know most of you guys very well but I'd go with:

1. Malek
2. Gunman
3. Alice

From what I've seen so far.

I'll give it a go, if you're willing to take me on.

Haze stands at the back of the room during the eulogies, politely staying quiet but fidgeting a bit. She doesn't know any of these people, and while death isn't really something she's comfortable with, she's more irritated having to stand around.

Once things have passed, she goes to the hangar to look over her new mech, eyes beaming as she familiarizes herself with the controls and systems, more than likely missing out on the internal politics going on around her ... except for This perks her interest if but a moment - gifts and favours weren't something she was used to, but she nods to Cryptic in thanks as the parts are delivered to her for installation.

Words words words aside, I hope I'm doing this right?

Concerning my XO candidature, check out Mission 5 where I got Eisensturm and Chuck's mechs wrecked because I was discontent with the other front sections' timid approaches on a time sensitive target.
I think that we failed to detain Irving because we didn't move aggressively enough some pilots stayed behind until others advanced thus presenting easy targets to the enemy.
Had we moved in as one unit the enemy may have split it's fire and we would have certainly been able to bring more of our firepower to bear in the next turn and gain more ground to maneuver on.

The SE squad in our last sortie acted exactly like I'd want everyone to act.
Killing targets as they appear and taking our damaged mechs out of the line of fire but still fighting.

Hitting a spot of land may be harder than hitting a tank because targeting computers don't recognise them as targets.

Also, this was supposed to be about my ignorant question about maintenance costs. I ask a lot of those lately, I'm sorry about that.

Right, by the way, everyone in favor of buying Hunter Doctrine, say aye.

Could you answer the question here ?

In essence, does the Fortified Systems skill stack with an installed Redundant Systems? And if so, could you (in theory) have multiple Redundant Systems on the same mech?

I know it's probably overkill, but I wanna build a tanky little bastard.

Aye

this makes sense. I was thinking something similar to this(along the vein about movement making shots harder), but this is simple enough and easy to do.

As far as I know you can. might need confirmation from cognis, but essentially what you are doing is taking two R.systems. And I remember someone doing exactly what you are saying right now.

Yes. You can stuff as many redundant sub systems into your mech as the hardpoints will allow. They don't so much stack as they blow out one after the other.

Weird thing is I have almost never seen anyone use a redundant sub system that they didn't get from the Combat Tech class.

It's settled then, the Def value for shooting the ground will be raised to 8.

Nay, I'd prefer the A2 upgrade personally. Composite and better sensors/ECCM would be lovely.

If it's a choice between Hunter and CQC though, I vote for Hunter.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I might stock up on more next time along with some ECCM... and then, LHI's Warden for maximum tankytank.

In theory we can get both, and the step up in firepower from Hunter doctrine is immense.

Aye, I'm for it but against any further starter kit upgrades.
Can we retain the Cobra though? Maybe someone will want the mortar and the Lord has no comparable weapon.

hold on, don't we need Apex license if we want A2 Upgrade?

I'm pretty sure we do.

Replacement means replacement. If you really want a Cobra you can sell off your starter and buy one. It's dirt cheap, more so if you fill out the remaining hard points from the company stash.

Yes

Oh.. that would make sense. But I would still vote for Hunter Doctrine. 1/2 missions and thats a license if we don't buy anything else. Obviously its massively in my interest for Hunter Doctrine, but it would appear we will have several new mechs given the number of people either re-rolling or starting from scratch

Ah shit, my bad. My vote is for Hunter then.

wait what then I'm confused.
also, cognis, the description of the minelayer missile in the company assets file still says it deploys 3 mines, while the picture shows 4.

oh okay. then my vote is still unchanged(hunter doctrine). the lancer cannon will help new guys stay far and safe while dishing out damage.

In the future however, which is probably after next mission if we do well, in terms of licences, are we getting Apex or landsknecht?

I think the +1 buff to LHI's sabot cannon's damage went under the radar, I'm quite fond of it now. LHI has the better mechs but Apex general equipment, apart from the AMS and reactive Armor, is more useful in the short run. I say we get the Apex license save our money and then everyone buys LHI mechs after we get it.

cept for those who want range 15 guns that can one shot smaller mechs... Another argument for Apex first.

Ugh typos again...

You need both the Modernization Program and Apex license to get the A2 Refit Package.

Same with the L2, except with LHI.

Hotfixes:
-Fixed the Minelayer Missile Typo.
-GGA Snub Recoiless should be mountable on either an arm or torso hardpoint. I've since corrected that.
-The Elite Gunner Skill Proficiency now allows to roll twice to hit for each shot and pick the highest result.

I realized that having a single shot 5 damage weapon in a game where most of the mid level mooks have 6 HP is really annoying.

>she nods to Cryptic in thanks
No sweat rookie.

Heh, rookie, like I can get away with saying that yet.

Anyway, I fully intend to get one of my own. Borealis and Izzy are big kids with their own bank accounts, but you guys have to rely on the most important currency the Camels trade in: goodwill. Remember that when your time comes round.

don't mind me...
First, let me put this down so I don't forget...
>purchase recon drone(-5)
>total: 22-5= 17 credit left

[Crocodile]
>HP:14/14
>DEF: 16(10+4+2)
>E-Def: 14(8+2+4)
>Sensor range: 10
>Mobility: 5 (4+1)
>Stealth Rating: 8

>Torso: (3/3)
- Recon Drone (1)
- Combat drone (1)
- ECCM pod (1)(+4 E.Def)
>RA: (2/2)
- Laser Rifle (2)
>LA: (2/2)
- Tactical shield (2)(+2 DR on front arc)
>Legs: (1/1)
- Thruster array (1)(+1 Mob. Jump)
>Armor: Adaptive Camo(+8 stealth rating, +2 Def in cover)

-Miscellaneous
>Redundant Subsystems (1/1)

Recon drone
>HP:4/4
>DEF: 16(14+2)
>E-Def: 12(10+2)
>Mobility: 5
>Stealth Rating: 14
>mech pistol(-)
>Superior drone AI(Def, E.Def+2)
>high tech, jump, scan

Combat drone
>HP:4/4
>DEF: 14(12+2)
>E-Def: 10(8+2)
>Mobility: 6
>smart gun(-)
-HV. Ammo(ballastic weapon range +2)
>longbow missiles(3/3)
-Defective missile(Missile maintenance cost removed(longbow -4), random effect)
>Superior drone AI (Def, E.Def +2)
>high tech, jump

Training:
Combat tech
>For[T]ified Systems
>Enhanced [DR]one Control
>Superior Drone [AI]

>storage:
>Defective missile(1)

I'll go to the GuyeCo Sabotage.

He sat in the back, puffing on a cigarette and listening keenly. He sighed and thought as each candidate spoke. "I vote for Malek, he seems like the right candidate. I'll gladly lead a squad if its needed though."

Ah, just the man I was looking for. I was hoping to have you along on the Guye Co. assault. We need all the burst firepower we can get and that's kind of your deal. We could really use you.

Count me in.

Special ammo, like HV ammo and Defective only lasts for one mission.

>range 15 guns
exactly. last mission I felt so frustrated since being a drone operator I always use one action for drone control, leaving me with only one action each turn. and the 6 range on the laser rifle, although not bad, was short enough for the enemy mechs to stay out of my overwatch range and engage spare.

>why not Lord?
Predator's railgun has Armor penetration which kills most vehicles outright even if they have reactive armor, their best defense. also lord lacks a leg hardpoint and I refuse to be stuck with 4 mobility again. I already have the thruster array too so everything's set.

Assuming I get on a predator, if I can land a lock with my recon drone I can land 15 Range 10 Dmg 4 Crit 17 Pen attacks with +4 to roll that ignores Damage Reduction. Along with a follow up longbow if I feel like it. lord deals 2 damage each shot against reactive, in which would mean heavy tanks take 4 shot to take down even with the lancer cannon.

>but railgun has reload attribute
so does the lancer cannon. and most importantly Apex license=Enhanced Autoloader. getting Apex not only grants us the predator, it also helps new guys with lancer lords as well since the autoloader works on the lancer cannon as well.

I had 2 of both and used 1 HV last mission.