Mutant Genlab Alpha

As good as they say?

Never heard of it. Judging solely by the picture, it looks like it runs in a similar vein as Paladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness

>Paladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness

No sure if want...

Yes. I've been playing Mutant since 1984 and Mutant Zero Yero, Genlab Alfa and Maskinarium are great. Sure it hits a nostalgic spot in me but I really like what they have done with the system mechanics.

I don't know of any settings changes for the english editions but for a nostalgic scandinavian it's a brilliant piece of work that I highly recommend for veterans as well as beginners of the roleplay gaming hobby.

>cont.
Mutant is inspired by the classic Gamma World, but with BRP as a systsem, and over the 30 plus years Mutant have been existing in different versions on the swedish RPG market it has created quite into its own.

It's good stuff.

Worth noticing though is that the new Mutant games use an entirely new dicepool system that has no similarities to BRP.

Also worth noticing is that the swedes get to keep their BRP-Mutant, while the rest of the world is stuck with the PbtA-wannabe.

I own the original book and some of the addons, it's kind of wicked. Especially since you can make a telekinetic hedgehog that can see through walls.

>MUA
sup?

is it this adventure that sort of explains how some of the mutants originated?

Maskinarium?

It's another expansion, but you play as robots in the post-apocalyptic setting of MYZ.

How does the old versus new compare?

I've got a soft spot for dice pool systems myself. I find the BRP rather dry to be hosent.

Premise is awesome but this is Palladium were talking about.

It do and it's really good. Fun for veterans and easy for beginners to learn. I like it alot.

The new is a dice pool with the 6s being successes and one single success is usually enough. You can reroll your dice though, once, for more successes or even a single one, keeping your already succeeded dice and failed dice (ones). Once you reroll the failed dice (kept or new) become strain, strain on your character, temporary lowering your stats, strain on your equipment, damaging it and so on.

Simple, straight forward, but still dynamic with abilities, equitment, trait and so on. Also the games do a good job in making the trauma, the strain matter, making each attribute and skill matter and all of it be very well distributed.

It's not only physical, combat trauma, but more, and they deliver it well, in a simple way.

Yes. It's based on an old Sinkadus/Convention adventure for the original Mutant (1984) edition and it's playing a part of general Mutant history. It's quite the nice nostalgic theme they have for it.

Genlab Alfa is super awesome. Just look at a badger.

MYZ is supposed to be a prequel to MUA, isn't it?

Our group did the whole, one campaign with each book that ends in with all three factions appearing in the same map.
Then beginning a fourth campaign in which we have to broker peace between our previous factions.
It was really fun.

Cool.

I started a campaign in Mutant: Y0 but it died out after a while. Shame, I liked the system and the setting.

Genlab Alpha appears to have improved rules from the previous one and the uplifted animals are interesting.

Cool

Apart from just my general love of post apocalyptic the dice pool mechanic is what attracted me to it. Glad to hear they work for you.

I know a lot of old fans dismissed it out of hand as a marketing gimmick. But I try to be open-minded towards new mechanics.

Pick related.

Is MUA the same rules as MYZ?

Anyone has pdf? I'd buy it, but I'm in a bad place right now.

Fuckin' moose barbarian maaan...

Nope, completely different. MUA is BRP-based, MYZ use a much lighter dicepool-based ruleset.

Yes. MYZ explores the time befor M/MUA, in its own way.

MUA had a nostalgic BRP system, for teh sake of nostalgia. MYZ/ÅN has a more thought out dice pool system which is simple but well thought out to fit with in the setting and the three different games (YZ, GA, Ma).

I haven't seen this pdf released so far, unfortunately.