EDH/Commander General

Altered Art Edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/molimo-voltron/
mtgvault.com/phobes365/decks/bobo-edh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>altering perfection

>Implying there is only one version of perfect.

The art's nice enough, but the text is fucking atrocious. Really though, what said

That alter looks like shit

That's... kinda her whole shtick, actually.

Anyways, the art ain't bad, but something about giving Elesh Norn a face just rubs me fundamentally the wrong way. It'd be like changing Bolas's oddly humanoid face into something overtly draconic. Wouldn't look bad, but it sure wouldn't look like him.

>I built 3 decks and had a lot of fun despite convincing my friends to play only once and then never again.
Huh. Too bad you didn't have any luck convincing them to play again.

It looks like it would make for an interesting set to play commander with, like it would make for an interesting change, reasonable deck prices using the legit cards means I might be able to get some new friends that don't currently play magic into the game, and I'd be glad to not see any more fucking Sol Rings, as well as many of the other top tier mana sources.

So I built Yisan for fun because I had some OK green goodstuff rolling around.
Then I made a mistake and went to play and got hated for playing "HC" "too competetive" yisan as commander.

So since when does a mono G commander been "must be hated from the start of the game" or am I missing a thing since imo his tutorin is feelish slow to be that nuts.

Anyone else built a commander without being aware that commander had a reputation?

got a list senpai?

With the mulligan change Yisan can be one of the best decks in the format if you built him right.

>he doesn't remember when Rofellos wasn't banned

Mulligan change? What did they change?

sorry dont got one since the deck is just a bunch of OK green creatures/ramp/tricks with ETB effects from my collection.
As in the most expensive card in it is Green sun zenith.

Unless I'm quite mistaken, that is Bolas prior to his awakening as a Planeswalker. Note how he also lacks his traditional accessories such as his stole and horn-gem-thingy (to use the technical term). And honestly? If you just cropped the face and asked someone familiar with the modern depiction of the character to identify him based on that they probably wouldn't peg him as Bolas.

But I digress. My point was that - Bolas aside, and perhaps I should have chosen a character with no capacity for shapeshifting even if he does usually maintain a consistent look - the above art looks so little like Norn that I honestly wouldn't even identify that character as a member of the Machine Orthodoxy, let alone its praetor. Again, it's lovely art, but it ain't Elesh Norn.

Officially commander now uses a standard mulligan+1free instead of partial paris.

Huh. Wonder why they made that change. Seems strictly worse to me.

Cuts down on hand-crafting from combo decks

That's definitely a better mulligan. I don't want any more Jace, Hand Sculptors. I play combo, and I welcomed the change. I'm still mad about tuck rule though, and I still play without it with my wife.

Tuck effects were mostly Blue and White, which are already strong in EDH. Considerations of game balance aside, 90% of the players I know put their commander in a different sleeve than their deck, and that's not even starting with the ones that use Oversized Promo Commanders. Admittedly, there are ways around that but pretty much no one keeps the 100th matching sleeve lying around.

It's a practical change.

How would you run this fucker without selling your kidney

Everyone had the sleeve laying around when tuck rule was still on, if the commander already wasn't in the same sleeve.
I have NEVER met anyone that used oversized card, aside from planechase and I used once big Brion Stoutarm card I have, but it was a shitty experience and never again I used them in the game. They make some cool bookmarks, though.

The change wasn't made out of practicality, but because muh commanders and because rc thought that you must have access to your commander at all times, because bad deckbuilding is apparently healthy for the format. Oh, and also Prossh, Derevi and many other commanders need to be more degenerate and harder to remove

If you're going to play werewolves, you want flash effects and permanents with activated abilities. You want to be able to spend your mana without casting anything.

>Everyone had the sleeve laying around when tuck rule was still on, if the commander already wasn't in the same sleeve.

We have had outright conflicting experiences.

Why do you want to use that? It's not destined to be useful in EDH.

I'm an autist and I want to play with werewolves

Well, I feel for you. Around here no one complained about the tucking and literally no one was happy when tuck rule was introduced, except for the smug Derevi faggots that said that it's a good change.
People acted like it's a part of the game and expected it to happen and almost everytime people were not-babies about it.

Then play it. Just don't use the one wolf that prevents your werewolves from transforming back, unless you don't care about the trigger that happens when he flips upwards.

It sounds like something that was a lot more popular in casual circles, then. I've been in about six different playgroups with varying levels of competitiveness to them. Everyone in the more lax groups hated tucking regardless of their commander.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/molimo-voltron/
Help me please, Veeky Forums.

The more casual players hated it, but usually never complained about it. Salty players were always salty anyway.
The more experienced and competitive players never minded, as the commander usually was only one wincon, over half of the time it was the last resort, like plan C or something

>tfw you want to build multicolor decks but you haven't finished all of your monocolored decks yet

What mono B or G commanders should I make?

Mikaeus and Seshiro

What cards would be most affected if you were allowed to treat Hybrid mana as either/or for color identity purposes?

Every single one of them, but fulminator mage would be so huge in omnath of rage.

Expect to see Beseech the Queen everywhere.

I learned the hard way that werewolves really suffer in 3+ player games.

Well it comes in as an 8/8 and flips as a 10/10 so building it for commander damage isn't a bad idea, although that doesn't mean that he'll be good.

If you do want to do it, grab enchantments which grant things like board wide haste, double strike, etcetc. Your other creatures, if you insist on using Werewolves, just grab the werewolves.
Your other good pickups should focus on things you can't block - Silklash spider, for example, deals with flying and avoids hexproof, while Yeva Nature's herald makes for a good speed booster (and honestly, is probably a better commander).

If you were to pick one Legendary creature to build from
>Commander 2012 (Wedge)
>Commander 2013 (Shard)
>Commander 2014 (Mono Color)
>Commander 2015 (Enemy)
Who would you pick?

Mine: Ghave, Jeleva, Titania, Daxos

The Lieges get to be played in monocolor decks

Fulminator Mage gets more love

Guttural Response can be used in green

Depends on if you can count the (2/X) hybrids as colorless, cause then everybody will run Beseech the Queen as a 6 mana tutor

Honestly why even bother? Most of the hybrids are inferior versions of mono color cards in either of their colors, the other 80% that feel multicolor absolutely need the two colors they're hybrids of to work.

TLDR fuck off MaRo

2012: Mimeoplasm
2013: Mayael
2014: Freyalise
2015: Mazirek

is it cheating if i'm working on a mayael deck right now

You know, Eight and a Half-Tails is probably the only commander I'd like an alter of. Not because his face looks really weird even by Kamigawa-kitsune standards, but because he's only got eight tails in the artwork. The reason he chopped half of one off is that he was indirectly responsible for the Kami war, and that's really fucking significant. Dammit Bader, I wanna see that half-tail.

2 is generic mana and many commanders already have those in their costs.

>open Nahiri and Emrakul at the prerelease
>strike while the iron is hot and immediately trade both for a Dark Confidant
>effectively paid $25 for a Dark Confidant and a bunch of random new cards

reminder to meme on standard kiddies as hard as you can with slanted, inflated price tag trades

do NOT trade or sell your Eldritch Evolutions, they're going to explode in price value in the coming months

>his commander only costs TWO generic mana
>laughing_titans.jpg

Anyone experience what I am going to call "deck dilution?"

Wherein you are building many decks because you want to try running certain spicy combos or cards, but there's often overlapping color and so many shared cards between the decks it just starts to feel like more effort than its worth. Or you start running a deck just because you want to surprise your group with a particular combo "hur hur, won't they see how clever I am!" or "I gotta do this before one of them discovers it!"

I think I've been suffering from this lately. Four decks with WGx is too much. Gotta find one I like the most, even if it means abandoning the chance to go crazy with Aura Shards or play The Great Aurora on a board flooded with tokens...

>tfw you want to build like 8 decks but you have only 3-4 copies of certain staples

>tfw you want to run a legendary creature as its own Commander, but it's in mono-W and would probably work better as part of a UW deck

Keranos MLD Control
Gaddock Teeg h8bears
Gitrog Monster combo control
Maelstrom Wanderer (then do it again)

i sometimes feel like the keranos deck is just redundant, but all of them other than maelstrom wanderer are dedicated 1v1 Duel Commander lists

not much color spillage, they all do their own thing in different ways despite three sharing green

he's not good in a werewolf deck, nor are werewolfes good. I think he's great at the helm of a midrange fight-centric deck.

Ghave, Nekusar, Daretti, Kaseto. I've built all of them and they are/were all pretty fun. Nekusar got really good really fast though.

>Not "Slam all creatures on the field. They cannot jam with the rest."

Just how important is the balancing of mana in your deck? Do you like have equal advantage for all or a little/lot more for another

Up to this date I still don't understand how the inner slices mean or represent cmc's

If you click the little slice, it will highlight the cards it's counting towards. Overlapping bits are mana sources that can produce either color.

Bobo EDH. Tell me your thoughts. Combo Unrelated.

mtgvault.com/phobes365/decks/bobo-edh/

>tfw you Krosan Grip a Divining Top

Is there a more reliably great feel in all of MtG?

flash speed enchanting a creature with infect and causing it to make your opponent die.

>you must have access to your commander at all times
>hurr, what is the point of a commander

Because literally the entire purpose of hybrid mana is that they can be played in decks that have either color, except in edh because ???

That's why every hybrid card has effects that can appear in either color.

Cut half your creatures. I really don't think you need so many land fetching cards either, you'll be drowning in mana with half of them.

2012: I've already got a Mimeoplasm deck, so if not him, Animar.
2013: Jeleva. I had an Oloro deck built but that lifegain per turn is just too disgusting.
2014: Oh yeah, the walker-sets. Probably Daretti just because I like artifacts and stuff.
2015: Meren. I bought Ezuri and I regret my decision slightly.

2012 - Mimeoplasm
2013 - Mayael
2014 - Feldon
2015 - Newzuri

That's not very Green.

sticking a wurmcoil in a mimic vat and flooding tokens every turn with a sac outlet while countering removal

How to make nekusar without making it rely on the same old nekusar shit?

Post memelists. Gonna probably build either Anafenza or one of the Selesnya decks (Leaning towards Selvala) next.

cmc doesn't have anything to do with it. The inner part of the circle is the colored mana you can produce, and the percentage of your landbase that can produce it. So the guy's example shows that around 45% of his land base can produce blue mana. The outer ring is the color requirement for the cards your're running, so likewise, around 45% of his cards require blue mana to cast. The divisions within the inner slices mean slow mana, which are the lands that provide colored mana, but enter tapped. Things like shocklands don't count since you have a choice in whether or not they enter tapped, but guildgates will always be represented by their own little slice of slow mana.

This probably needs a bit of updating, and I'm also really considering Bruna as a general. Yes, entirely for meld shenanigans. Problem is making a monowhite deck that isn't dependent on general in the least...

Rishadan Porting the only land they can untap with a winter orb on the field. The salt is delicious.

Guttural Response/Pyroblasting an overloaded Cyclonic Rift.

>Skeleton Ship

My nigga

mimeoplasm
derevi
daretti
mizzix

You got a Shu-Yun list my nigga?

ALL ALTERS ARE CRINGEWORTHY GARBAGE

NEVER FORGET

it was commander 2011, not 2012, that had wedges

there was no commander 2012

anyway

2011-Animar
2013-Marath
2014-Freyalise
2015-hate all of them too much to pick

we dont play much anymore, tired of the salt from you know who

Oh. Fair enough. The potential degeneracy of that hadn't occurred to me. Never actually run into it.

I'm actually fine with the removal of tuck effects. You can still lock down commanders for a while using other cards, such as darksteel mutation.

Can you gauge the measure of a man by the commanders he plays?

No, because the first few time I play with a deck is a bunch of printed color pieces of paper in front of lands/playing cards, or is a bunch of printed card stock with nothing behind it.

In some cases I never buy the physical cards, and instead trick out the deck with custom rendered cards I made in Photoshop.

Typically starting with the commander, but also for consistent card border styles, and sometimes I change the art to match the theme of the deck.

Commander

Borders

And, I suppose, with pretty renders such as , I *Could* make my commander oversized, but I like being able to put my cards in sleeves, which is why I instead took the time to make standard-card-sized planechase and vanguard cards for our playgroup. (Not new cards, just custom renders)

And here's an example Planechase render.

When I made the Vanguard card renders I was thinking that using the planechase borders was a good idea for the nonstandard cards.

When I was making the planechase cards I was thinking they should look more like normal cards.

I may redo one of the two in the other style, but I haven't decided which style I'd use for both.

Oh yeah, because all of our decks are commander decks these days, when we feel like using vanguard cards or planechase decks, we do so with our commander decks.

As an Azusa player, I'd love it if I were able to play this thing.
Especially since I play 50+ lands Azusa.

>see this
>what do?

There's easier ways to pull off that combo bro

So how does everyone feel about Hanweir Garrison? I'm thinking about putting it into my Boros deck as a cheaper alternative to Hero of Bladehold and Brimaz, King of Oreskos. Triggers Mentor of the Meek as well.

Krosan Grip

It's one of two Meld cards that's not shit, even if the other side is.

getting 2 2cmc and 2 3cmc cost artifacts on the table isn't that hard.

>drowning in mana
That's the point. Did you read Molimo?

It vaguely annoys me. Though that's mostly being called a 'Garrison' and all being about attacking.

It's a decent card in and of itself.

Just pulled a scarred puma
pretty powerful cant wait to put it in my omnath for some early hate

Why bother taking extra turns when you can just make it so no one else can use their turns instead?

why pass your turn when you can just take another one, while making infinite tokens, gaining infinite life, wiping the board and drawing your entire deck if you have Drogskol Reaver or Oloroß