"Geek Culture"

I fucking hate nerd, geek or gamer culture. I see fucking retards on /v/ defending it, shitheadgate was about the right to be called gamers, I'm fucking sick of this fucking shit.
People are trying to make a "culture" out of buying games and playing them. Yet, it's literally constantly falling apart. I remember when the pic related little asshole had a fucking conniption fit about whether vin diesel was allowed to be a nerd or not because despite loving video games and enjoying DnD enough that he begs everyone he works with to play it with him, he's not allowed to be a nerd because reasons. Those reasons were fuzzy and unclear, but a lot of it was "wahhh he's not a doughy little faggot like meee"

The same people that push the idea that "geek culture" is a thing like Wheaton and Day also spend all of their fucking time screaming and yelling for "geek culture" to be more inclusive, which means it can't be a culture. Geek culture has no future as a culture and cannot have any meaning if it's something that anyone can do. It's a meaningless label that means literally nothing to anyone but people use it to define themselves are geeks all of the time. Then whenever they try something cultural, like to say that all geeks support X political philosophy, it call crumbles apart in their faces and they go "oh my god, why is geek culture so mean/bad/wrong", which I've taken to mean is "doesn't actually fit my exact wants and needs for it." It's like wheaton and them are trying to force "nerds" into a personal army or something. Felicia day having a fucking conniption fit because people started a hashtag telling her she wasn't the queen of nerds, geeks, gamers etc. Fuck sakes. What a joke.

What do you guys think about this? Do you ignore it? Does it make you mad as fuq?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People just need to enjoy things without making it a statement, needing others to see them enjoying it, or worrying about how others enjoy it.

>Felicia day having a fucking conniption fit because people started a hashtag telling her she wasn't the queen of nerds

link? I need to drink the tears

Try just playing games. Wheaton and Day are obnoxious but if you just ignore them, it's amazing how little they will impact your life.

I will say though that the likelihood of production of new games you (or myself, or anyone) would like to play depends on the attitude of the community culture. More people openly aligned with your tastes increases the odds games meeting those tastes will be created.

twitter purged the tweets but she apparently needed to go into hiding etc(late 2014)

Bullshit

>Vin Diesel plays DnD
haha what

it's a pretty famous factoid abut him

ok

and as much as people like to claim it's him doing it for the attention, he rarely brings it up himself.
Mostly just answers honestly when asked, does stuff like get in on DnD games at cons, and stars in clearly dnd player fantasy movies (He's clearly having a ball in Last Witchhunter.)

>you will never play DnD with The Rock, Judi Dench...

Well there's something to add to my bucket list
>Play tabletop with Riddick

For the record, OP, this is the very first time in about a decade of posting on Veeky Forums that I've ever called someone this. So you should take it to mean that you're particularly faggoty today.

>i don't like the artificial pushing of a culture that doesnt function as a culture and is pushed by shitty people who constantly wish to seat themselves as head of said culture
>WOW OP YOU'RE A FAGGOT

well
all i can say is
hello, wil

How new can you be? Riddick is basically written from his DnD character.

He is probably new. How is that a problem? How about we start helping instead? Por example you could show him the Geek & Sundry show on YouTube called D&Diesel, or point him to an interview of Riddick 2 where he tells of the inspiration D&D gave him. Jesus man, some people are just sad.

We had a shitton of threads like this normies ruining my MtG, SJW catering to feminists in their board/tabletop/card games etc. and they all end the same exact way.

Nobody gives a shit about what some social media fuckheads think. With rare exceptions like MtG that you have to play at conventions/tournaments, all Veeky Forums hobbies rely on groups of people you know. If you don't like a person, you don't play with them.

Nobody gives a shit about trans paladins in PF PF is shit anyway, as DMs can just, you know, NOT INCLUDE them or even NOT BUY that book and that AP is shit anyway, There's a certain market for "SJW" products in Veeky Forums-related hobbies, but it's really small and unimportant.

If some company would include all black transgender otherkin cast of characters in their game/book etc., most people here won't buy or even pirate it. Simple as that.

It applies to "geek culture" as well. I don't give a fuck about what FD says. I don't even have twitter account because I consider reading random shit people write there a waste of time. Pretty sure most fa/tg/uys agree with

Oh I don't care about normies or sjws or whatever. I play Dungeon Crawl Classics primarily, which is meant to be the least normie-appealing game ever

Dame Judi Dench was an npc in a game I was in once.

Nah, OP is a fag.

The correct response when you think someone is attention whoring is: don't pay attention to them. You find Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day annoying? Then why have you read so much about them? Why are you having a conniption fit about their conniption fits and using the term "conniption fit" so much? If you think that geek culture isn't a thing, then you have nothing to be defensive of. You can just like the things you like and not read the twitter feeds of people you don't like.

It is silly for you to be upset.

Geek "culture", exists for one purpose. To make money. People very soon realised that these poor souls had tons of disposable cash and created an entire industry selling them nerdy shit no one else would touch.

Felecia Day, a very plain looking woman has made an absolute fortune from thirsty beta males by pandering to their every geeky whim
>tee hee, DnD is sexy, you're so cool for playing it ;)
>tee hee, video games and board games for the win, you're so cool for playing them ;)

That pudgy mong Wil Wheaton earns a crust by wallowing in this "culture" and being self declared "king of the nerds"

So while they're wallowing in this cash, of course they're going to push their agendas

"Why aren't there more trans people in DnD"
"Female characters in sexy outfits is literally rape"

I used to get annoyed seeing Wil wheaton's fat fucking face, but at this point I only see it posted here, other than that I ignore the cunt and you should too.

then why the fuck are you bothering complaining?
You don't have to interact with these people. Why the fuck do you care what they enjoy?

There's a geek culture? First time I've heard about this. My friends and I just engage in whatever hobbies we want. I don't think there's any need to label it. Sometimes it's role-playing, other times it may be camping or visiting local parks. Our "group" if you want to call it that isn't exclusive. I don't think anyone would object to black or gay or trans or whatever other people joining us, as long as they're not insufferably boring.

>What do you guys think about this?

That the latter half of your post makes you come off like a whiny alt-right shithead. I doubt I'd want to listen to you go on some retarded tangent about your SJW boogeyman while trying to play D&D.

Stop reading celebrity tweets? Seriously, who gives a fuck. Find something more constructive to care about.

The bullshit is that Wheaton and Day are the "faces" of this "movement" to begin with.

Ones a washed-up teen TV "star" who was the most hated character in the show, and the other had a single guest appearance on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a few other Joss Whedon projects.

These are Z-list "celebrities" trying to make a name for themselves as "professional geeks", and it's just not working.

Wil is an insufferable smug jackass, and Felicia, while seemingly a nice person, is pretty much unknown outside of Dr. Horrible.

And yet these two, along with the Talking Dead guy, are the faces of "geek culture".

What do you get out of posting something like this? What emotional need does complaining about other people's life choices fulfill for you?

I that's the real issue here. These Wheaton and Day are just figureheads of this movement to excessively commercialize nerd culture. It'll be like videogames or rap, where the creators will start pandering to the lowest common denominator. Sure we all have games we already like, but it sucks to see the quality of new stuff dip because of Felica Day marketing to bottom feeders.

I agree that it's pointless to get annoyed, but I think the problem is that they are living forced memes.

As has been said before, and even in this thread, both Wil and Felicia are utter nobodies.
The only reason anyone thinks they're geek culture is because within what little spheres of control they have, they self promote endlessly.

While I can understand why people get upset, the good news is that there isn't any reason to; what attention they get is vastly over-inflated.

I also hate wil wheaton, but calm down faggot.
I seem to recall another group getting assblasted on a constant basis about how other people identify themselves.

>There's a geek culture?
See Mostly it amounts to "celebrities" and companies trying to tap into a perceived market that they don't really care to understand. So instead of figuring out how to pander to such a disparate and mostly-nominal demographic as "nerds", they try and tell us what we should like and what sort of "culture" we should identify with. It's basically just a more obviously forced version of what's been done to pitch to every other demographic, which stands out because "nerd" isn't a group with one clear definition the way "blacks", "whites", "gays", etc do.

I don't think there is such a thing as nerd / geek culture though, it's a ... I can't think of the right word, it's just a "ruse" to sell you stuff, to sell you an XXXXL t-shirt with pictures of D20s, plastic toys, ugly statues...

except of course with them being fairly successful, and a growth of groups sharing information about games and media, to enjoy shared activities and interests.

Such groups often relying on organizers and distrubers of information, communicated though cheapest and most widespread of medium available at the time. These individuals spend their time and effort in communicating, promoting each other to mutually reinforce their social status, and distributing promotions and information from the content producers that spawned the shared activities and interests.

So no, it's totally not a 'culture' that follows most of the mechanism of previous subcultures and media based cultural movements, changed somewhat by modern technology. And Wheaton and Day are this new horrible corruption that is totally different from any other sort of figure that has existed in modern history.

Wow, it's like people are trying to commercialize things people like!
It's like corporations are trying to widen their audiences by using mass appeal in order to get more stuff bought!
It's like popular things sell!
It's like being inclusive nowadays means getting more autismbux from people, because they have a knee-jerk reaction of "inclusive = supports my opinions = good" and makes them spend their money and advertise it for free among themselves!

MORE FUCKING NEWS AT ELEVEN
- OP, A PROFESSIONAL FAGGOT

Also, check these out.

OP, I'm going to let you in on a secret to make this all go away. You ready for it? Ok, here it is: just don't give a shit.

>giving Wheaton and Day any attention
No. Stop right there.

The only proper choice is to move underground, where the chic, faux-nerd normies can't find you.

>Wheaton
>Felicia Day
Who are all these people, and why should I care about them?

The Last Witch Hunter was basically Vin playing one of his own characters.

>Wheaton and Day
Who ?

They actually did a video of him playing a game with Crit Role Crew
youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o

They are nobodies who want to oppress your hobby. If you are not a part of the "culture" of the hobby you have nothing to fear. Go back to your dice rolls.

Wheaton's a hack actor who runs an actual play youtube show where a bunch of people play a new board game every week, and which is apparently the beach head of the Great Normie-dy Invasion or something.
Day is a hack actress with a small following, who apparently said something dumb on twitter, which I guess is NOT what twitter is there for after all?

Lots of whining about stuff you could easily ignore if you weren't such a drama loving little twat.

Wil Wheaton may have mediocre taste in games, but his show has driven a lot of traffic to Friendly Local Game Stores and the boardgame industry in general.

I can't blame [Picture Related] crowd for being triggered by Wil, but those of us who actually make and sell games consider him a net good.

And he doesn't even learn the games before he plays them. He has a manager to do that for him, and actually threw him under the Twitter bus when he fucked up one time. The little cock.

I loved the goofy little film. Too bad it cost so much to make and was a flop, according to what my friend said. No more Vin Diesel fanfics, I guess.

Sounds funny. Screencap?

That in turn drives up the value of the market, which makes it possible for more designers to live off of the hobby or otherwise participate meaningfully. In short, more games or availability for us.

>his show has driven a lot of traffic to Friendly Local Game Stores and the boardgame industry in general

Wow! It's almost like that is insufferably annoying and people are gonna complain about it! It's almost like what you said is painfully obvious and everyone is decrying the fact that normies are still falling for it! It's almost like YOU'RE A GIANT FUCKING COALBURNING FAGGOT

Yep. Im currently working to become an accountant and one day I would also like to have a wife and kids. I just see myself as a guy who plays games as a hobby for fun. I dont have time or energy to promote or defend some stupid culture.