The Utility Of Cryptographic Currencies in an IoT TechScape

IOTA is shit and we all know it, what I'm trying to solve here is whether the underlying idea (IoT communication via microtransactions) is a good underlying idea, execution and devs aside. AFAIK the current method of plainly encrypted traffic is cumbersome when communicating between many devices.

Please stick to the topic for christ sake, no shilling or FUD, I just want to dig at the core concept.

Other urls found in this thread:

squawker.org/technology/proof-iota-is-falsifying-partnerships-with-big-tech/
cogniota.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just wondering because I know IOTA is shit everywhere else (centralized, not feeless, devs can't into cryptography, etc), but I just want to understand if foundation concepts and use case are as piss poor as everything else.

no, why send "transactions" when you can send encrypted packets?

iota is basically some mathfags obscuring a useless idea in mathematical notation and tricking dumb people to buy it using buzz words

you guys are fucking idiots. Just riddle the fuck me this: why are normies not using PGP to encrypt their emails? ANSWER ME THIS. And maybe you'll realize what's the big deal about IOTA. Then again... probably not.

>why send "transactions" when you can send encrypted packets?

This is my take on it as well, but some retard told me the encryption is cumbersome when dealing with the many devices in an IoT network. didn't make sense to me because it's still encrypted in IOTA (well, hypothetically at least, the devs can't seem to pull it off yet).

ok smart one spill the beans, is it because normies don't give a shit about the tech and just ride hype? Because that's not the point of this thead

>centralized
it's decentralised you utter moron, more than BTC is. you can run a node today and not rely on the coordinator you just expose yourself to attacks while there whoe iota network is small

stop trying to sound smart on a vietnamese bread baking board

>not feeless
where the fuck do you even pull this from? where?

>devs can't into cryptography
the only thing resembling an iota of truth
they're experimenting with shit because they want to, things will break, they've corrected their mistake, yea it was amateurish not to console other crypto people

>is it because normies don't give a shit about the tech
no, it's because using PGP between arbitrary email senders is a fucking nightmare. Coincidentally so is security in IoT.
>watch as he puts one and one together
>still watchings...
zzz ZZZ zzz

using PGP is easy as fuck... you fetch their public key and encrypt and send out your message
the only technical problem I can see is if the cost of fetching public keys from "the tangle" would scale poorly if nodes have to communicate with a large and dynamic set of nodes where caching can't help

Indeed, I've stopped responding to these shitty FUDs since after the moon mission launched. Let them stay out.

>you fetch their public key
From where? From whom? Come on, user... you can do this!

The coordinator is centralized, and IOTA relies on the coordinator. It's not feeless because it simply offloads the fees onto IoT devices to perform the work (so the fee is hardware degradation and electricity, though the network doesn't charge directly).

>they're experimenting
Yeah, and that's the problem. you don't 'experiment' with crpyto algos you just made up, especially when you close source your code.

Quit trying to sound smarter.

Ok, this is similar to what I said above, about traditional encryption being cumbersome between a network of many devices. So, the tokenization then remedies this issue, allowing for information to be exchanged quicker?

The coordinator doesn't do the work and it can't mutate the network state or approve double spends. It's already less centralized than bitcoin, which is controlled by 3 mining farms.

The POW is negligible.

>Alice, Bob, and Trudy
no, no, no... let's try this again:
>6 gazillion little, gayass machines that don't fucking know each other (or anyone else) want to securely communicate with each other
>what do
IoT security is a fucking nightmare. Security is the real problem IOTA is trying to solve (granted, they have kind of a funny history with rolling their own hash function and shit...).

>the fee is hardware degradation and electricity
oh i see, you're not a moron, you're a retard

stay away from Veeky Forums and save on the enormous electricity fees Veeky Forums is costing you

The Coordinator can just...freeze addresses, apropriate assets like in good old USSR.

Theyve done it

IoT is a deadend. However, cheap (in terms of processing) free (in terms of fees) transfers are extremely high up in cryptousers' wishlist. Add small transaction times and you have a winner. Problem with iota, retardation aside, is centralization.

Ah the answer is so easy.

Just trust the IOTA Foundation and their Distributed Coordinator.

So much more effecient than trusting CAs

>IoT is a deadend.
The G20 begs to differ...

This is true though, even it's negligible. There is little economic incentive in joining the network without fees.

I understand IoT security is a nightmare, and I'm trying to understand the legitimacy of IOTA's concepts a little more, hence the thread. Can you expand on why you believe tokenization, microtransactions and IOTA's methodology in general is an upgrade over existing IoT security?

Bad if true. Source?

>non-existing IoT security
there. fixed that for you. :)

i'll leave this here:

squawker.org/technology/proof-iota-is-falsifying-partnerships-with-big-tech/

Try looking at RaiBlocks. Feeless, instant, decentralized and working.

>There is little economic incentive in joining the network without fees.

cogniota.io/

off load your hardware to do actual useful computation and get paid for it in iota

vs

BTC mining, utter waste, slow, one-dimensional

I like raiblocks from what I've seen but they're not nearly enough ambitious not connected, it might be an ok enough piece of tech (better than byteball for sure) but it'll probably stay at level it's at

>get paid for it in IOTA
IOTA is feeless though nigger, you don't get paid you work for free in this commy network.

And you think this is the best solution to date? Even if strictly conceptually, execution and delivery aside.

I certainly don't have a better idea, no.

holy fucking shit are you one special retard

kys my man

great counter m8

the transactions are feeless
you get paid for processing calculations (like SETI)

you can't possible be this dumb of a faggot?

Kek, you seem to both be very angry and unable to understand the difference between knowledge and intelligence.

I'll look into what you provided, since you seem far from helpful, but don't see how transactions can be feeless if processing power is paid. But alas, I'll see if this is true, and how.