MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Infect is one of the most dangerous decks in the metagame and is one of the most popular decks. How is your matchup against them?
>Ad Nauseam has proven to be a good combo deck in this metagame. How does that make you feel?
>There is currently no established Dredge list. Which version do you think is the best?
>What EMN cards caught your eye and for what deck(s)? Will any new deck emerge?

EMN spoiler link:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
modernnexus.com/attacking-settled-metagame-esper-control-modern/
mtgtop8.com/event?e=13015&d=275944&f=MO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DECKLISTS HERE
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

The overall and paper Modern Metagame.
(1 month old).

While it is an outdated picture, there is apparentely a rise in linear stragies according to the stats guy behind the spreadsheet.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
>modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

New thread and this post at the same time. Extra mfw.

I think dredge is forever going to be to vulnerable to sideboards.

R8 my Naya midrange zoo.

Sin prodder for no reason. I guess you can get 1 damage when they throw away your bolts

How has grishoalbrand been doing lately?
I've always thought it was one of the coolest decks in modern and I'm finally going to buy in now that I've made more traditional decks

>no goyf
>no boros charm (this one is negotiable)
>become immense

Try Sin Prodder before you hate on it. Fuels delve and Knight like its nobody's buinsess. Plus comes in from CoCo for immediate value at EoT.

Fuck goyf. I'll get it when's its 20 bucks.

>Sin Prodder off CoCo
>reveal become immense
>opponent dies.

Sin prodder would be fine if it made sense in the deck. Your deck building skills are shit to say the least

Is anything in Infect banworthy?

Just gonna leave this here

Cranial Plating.
Oh sorry I thought you said Affinity

Inkmoth nexus ban would nerf both decks.

That would mean they'd have banned all of the remaining modern playable lands I actually own

Busted lands are bad for modern. Blood moon is the only way to deal with them

That just means we need better land destruction

>Inkmoth
>Busted

Really?

Its not even the main wincon of Infect or Affinity.

Plus theres dozens of ways to deal with it.

Yea but wotc won't ever print that again

wasteland would make modern better

What about a card like this?

Theres a pptq coming up and I've never been to one before but I'd like to attend. I'll be playing BW Tokens. Any of you guys go to one before?

Is there any sideboard tech I can have against tron matchups besides stony silence and ghost quarter?

Heres your (you)

Surgical extraction can deny tron. I've heard of talk of selfless spirits but haven't tried them myself.
Anguished unmaking was advised last time I asked in here too..

Is elves still a thing? I have all the deck staples except cavern and heritage druids.

Who Dredge here? Who else enjoys T4 Loam into Conflagrate?

'sup my nazi brüdder

Dredge is trash. Enjoy winning game 1 and losing the next 2 games every match.

>Angel's Grace Ad Nauseam
>A G A N
>again

Where did this whole dredge = nazis thing come from?

It's one of the cheapest decks in Legacy, therefore it's anti-jew

>Retreat
>FAERIES
>D&T
>UR Thopters
>UR Through the Breach

FUCKING FAERIES

LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENED AT THAT EVENT

Apparently it's the only guy who can consistently place high with faeries at competitive events

So he's peeking at his opponent's deck while cutting after fetches and leaving a shockland on top. Got it.

What?

>Playing a card for when you play a card off another card
okay

Faeries players don't consistently win out of nowhere.

No I mean what do you mean by cutting after fetches to leave a shockland on top? How do you even do that? Also, his deck shifted to include plenty of snaps and less game ending faeries to keep up the tempo as well as Kalitas which is just a house and makes up the weakspot faeries has of killing itself.

Well if you looked at his deck while shuffling a few turns into the game you could sleight of hand a shockland on top. Generally you don't want to be drawing shocklands that far into a game.

Which deck gives you the most trouble and why?

do you have a video or know which match and event it was?

I refuse to believe anyone has trouble with living end

Dredge

1. AntiJew
2. It's everything maro stands against
3. It's MaRo ( a jew) creation that turned against him
4. It's 14.88 on the storm scale.

Several creature decks fold to it pretty hard.

As a burn player Jeskass, Jund and Titanshift tend to make my life a living hell.
Jund has Goyfs and Lilly which make life absolutely no fun. Titaneshift has Baloths in the SB which provide them with enough lifegain to make me cry like a bitch. And Jeskass is just straight up ass cancer.

Dude that picture is sick.

Thanks, anything else that should be added?

Just purchased grishoalbrand. Tell me what you think

It's fun, but be prepared to loose to yourself.

IN THE MUSIC THE MOMENT YOU WANT IT YOU BETTER NEVER LET IT

I already play rug delver in modern so I'm used to cards not coming together

God bless the Chinaman. Saviour of mtg

There was someone at the prerelease I went to saying that fetchlands should be banned in modern. His reasoning is that without them, buying into the format is less costly, it makes games go faster since there is less shuffling, and I'm not sure what he was getting at with the last reason, but basically, something about how decks shouldn't get away with playing 3 or more colors so easily?

Either way, go ahead and list the reasons why he's wrong.

I was always wondering where you guys get your high quality proxies from. I will be dead before I pay 100 fucking bucks for a magic card. 10 sure. 20 I can kinda live with or trade for it. But fucking 100? Not a chance

If one card becomes cheaper, the rest of the cards in the deck rise in price to compensate. Just look at Eternal Masters making some cards cheaper; the money just went into duals. That guy was a naive dumbass.

This. Cards what they do because there is actual cash money available from tournaments. Whatever the best card is, it will always cost what the market values it at.

Whens the new ban list up? Also, any decks aside from hw hatebears feature voice of resurgence?

I agree with him on all counts, fetchlands were a mistake

It comes out on the 18th. Also theres a shitton of decks that Voice is in, mostly Kiki-kord and Collected Company.

It's more that people are willing to spend a constant X money on a deck, so if A+B+C=X and A becomes 0, B and C just soak it up and X remains constant still.

Find a storm player to play against, it the most fun thing ever

If fetchlands were banned, then Affinity and Burn would fuck the format raw. The fetchlands ban would do literally nothing to them (just don't play
Wild Nacatl) and everyone else is worse off.

As an Infect player, any decks heavy on removal.

So Burn, Jeskai, Grixis, etc.

Karn needs better fitting into the image,

As a Pox-Rack player I don't have trouble first game, but shit like Leyline and Soul Sisters can really fuck me up.

BECAUSE I'M FUCKING HUNGRY RIGHT NOW, OJUTAI

Calling out the guy that tried to make a horrible burn and tokens deck. Post your updated decklist

Burn player here
I would fucking hate it if I lost my fetches. I mean I COULD play RG Burn, but Naya Burn makes the deck so much more consistent.

my matchup is favorable against infect, but i have yet to be matched against it at saturday modern

suggested replacements:
a 1-drop or ezuri for elves
melira for abzan
valakut for scapeshift

i think that's pretty cool

what do you think about white splash for lingering souls and sideboard leyline removal?

>Fetches are banned
Three color decks become unviable
Two color decks become more janky
Mono-colored decks move into tier lists
Evolving Wilds becomes Modern playable

Picture was taken from MTGGoldfish. I guess Karn can be made better as an exception.

Shaman of the Pack represents the deck better: Elves is now GB and other variations are non-competitive.

Melira and Anafenza are interchangeable. No real opinion here.

Valakut for... Scapeshift? Why not simply Scapeshift?

How about Elvish Archdruid?

Eh, I like Shaman better but here's a version with fixed Nahiri/Karn and Elvish Archdruid.

AN honestly is the worst because i'm not fast enough to race them and leyline shuts off my interaction
scapeshift and tron are scary because removal is weak against them and they topdeck bombs

>Why not simply Scapeshift
well i was thinking of the gr titan and breach variants which often forgo scapeshift but they share valakut as a wincon? idk maybe they shouldn't be lumped in one square

against heavy removal, could infect win off Thrun?

>no goyf
>no rhino
>no liliana
>no lingering
>no bolt
>no pte
what's the point

Fair enough.

To represent the decks in the current metagame. Each picture refers to one specific deck (when you see Blighted Agent, you automatically think of GU Infect).

The only ones with a decent argument for inclusion are Lingering Souls (Tokens) and Siege Rhino (Abzan), but those decks are very bad right now.

>junk
>very bad right now
???
But yeah tokens will always be a 2.5-3 tier deck.

how about kommand for grixis and esper charm for esper

If you want to play BGx, Jund is the way to go.
If you want to play BGW, Abzan Company is the way to go.

Nobody plays Abzan anymore.

>esper
nice meme

modernnexus.com/attacking-settled-metagame-esper-control-modern/

Posting a link doesn't make Esper a deck. I can do this too.

>mtgtop8.com/event?e=13015&d=275944&f=MO

Why does this chart not have scapeshift on it? Its a solid tier 2 deck and is more relevant than decks like dredge.

It's using Valakut as a representative for Scapeshift and GR Valakut decks that use Through the Breach, although if this is what its gonna be I suggest changes it to the original Zendikar art

>mfw I unload a trade away a shitton of edh jank for modern staples

Anyone else got any recent good trades? Bad ones?

As a Burn player Abzan and Jeskai are my worst matchups even though I actually ended up 2-0ing Abzan at FNM yesterday
When I play Scapeshifts its Infect and Affinity

Is there a site like YGOpro for MtG? I want to try some decks before I buy.

Should I buy Esper draw go or BW tokens? I like both, but don't have the cash to buy them both. Which deck is more competitive?

You're options are Xmage and Cockatrice. Cockatrice needs you to actually play it out yourself like Duelling Network, while Xmage plays it out for you like with YGOpro.

Then Cockatrice is probably the better idea so I get a better feel for things. Which is more popular though?

I do, do quite well on an FNM level due to my local meta. Always switch to Jund for big events though

Xmage has been rising in popularity but overall Cockatrice has more players since it's been around longer. Cockatrice is probably better in the end since it forces you to actually play the game out yourself instead of having the computer play it out for you. Just be wary of retards and prepared to get into rules arguments.

Thanks, I'm not too experienced with MtG so I'll probably just roll over and accept the bitching.

I want to make a gimmicky as fuck deck. Recommend me some really weird cards to base a deck around.

Tokens does have more competitive finishes under its belt, but I would buy Esper for a couple reasons.

First, Esper is more interactive and has a higher skill ceiling than Tokens so it will be more interesting to play for a long period of time if it's your only deck.

Second, Esper has more staple cards in it so your investment helps you buy into other decks if/when you do decide to do that.

Third, Esper is more adaptable to the metagame and can be built to beat almost any deck. It's much harder for Tokens to cover its bad matchups without compromising the deck's basic strategy.