Ugh

Hey Veeky Forums what's up with my crappy painting? Is my paint too thick? General lack of skill?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X_Y61xmylas&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx&index=11
youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE&list=PL0_grDypO1do53axHnnPWA6b5mkcZ5Y7E&index=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take me through this, step by step.

From what paints you used to how you painted.

Mix of formula p3 paints and thinned out craft paints, washed with future floor wax and paint (brown for nurgle dude, blue for tzeentch)

Oh and a matte finish on the nurgle guy after

You used a sealer to wash it?

Yeah I read about this "dip" method on another forum.

It seems like you painted the fur cloaks/trim with the same techniques as the metal/armour plates. That's going to look like butts.

I did and it does :(

Go watch some tutorials, maybe find the warhammer tv ones. Learn from Duncan.

Dipping does this, which looks terrible.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Don't do that.
Buy some simple green and restart.
Thin some paints very heavily, get 3 paints of 3 colors each, light blue/green, brown, and the metallic color your want and black and white for good measure.
Do very thin layers of base coating in the darkest tone of each of the 3 colors, after 2 or 3 layers on everything to get it nice and solid, use the next highest tone mixed with the last tone to high light, then the pure second tone, then wash with devlan mud or equivalent, then use the highest tone and to do extreme highlights.

That's the basic gist.

Yeah. Its okay, they're just tests. Work out what you're going to do for the fur trim. A gross dirty white would be cool for the redish one, or a clean and cold white for the blue one.

Other than that seems like they'll be okay. Go slow/be patient, fuck around with putting colours you want to use next to each other on some scrap paper to see how they look. When you're mixing paints keep track of the ratios so you can duplicate the same mix later.

It just look like they were painted very carelessly so far. Paint doesn't necessarily look too thick, but your brush control is just very sloppy.
Slow down and paint multiple thin layers of each color.
Watch some tutorials online like Duncan Rhodes or the painting buddah
This one is pretty applicaple to your minis:

youtube.com/watch?v=X_Y61xmylas&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx&index=11

youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE&list=PL0_grDypO1do53axHnnPWA6b5mkcZ5Y7E&index=1

Thanks to all for the tips. Fairly new to painting. As you can see haha

The fact that you are asking questions and trying to learn how to get better is key.
Don't be afraid to post to WIP threads and ask for more help in the future.
Take your time, pay attention to what you're doing, and take every opportunity to learn and improve.
Painting a good mini is really fulfilling. You'll get there.
Good luck user. I've been painting for several months and if I can make improvements then you can too.
Pic related: my first attempt at painting minis...

Those look pretty good to me!

Painting on dark to light
Not painting on light and darkening later

's painting method is superior herp derp.

WTF? Try a light undercoat and a middle base color. Darken it with washes (of paint not polish). Highlight with basecolor and lighter. This start dark shit doesn't work for everyone.

You're just sort of ranting to yourself here, aren't you?

... Compared to my latest minis

I bleive in u op

We're all gonna make it

OP.

The trick is thin layers and keep things crisp.

Once you get the basics done you can produce reasonable looking models.

Then slowly introduce a new technique each time and get some practice with it.

Here's an example of mine which is copper and brasses that look a bit more rustic. It's not the best, not the worst but its a little progress

You're a pro!

Thanks again for the tips and encouragement. I'll simple green em and try again.

It's actually recommended to keep your shitty first/early models you've painted just to keep a reference as to how far you've gotten.

If you really want those warriors of chaos on the table though, I'd recommend picking up some cheap models for practice. Generally speaking anybody who can make it through a box of 20 whatevers from Mantic, or half a dozen Reaper Bones models should be ready for anything.

Good luck, but more accurately: Happy practicing

>future floor wax
I think i found your problem

No, that was a legit trick. The brand was very specific too. Before Army Painter had stuff like the quick-dip shading people would use wood varnish for exactly the same thing.

my statement remains.

Well your first mistake was painting anything with the Nurgle scheme, you filthy, dirty son of a bitch.