/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

>Ïa! Ïa! /ysg/!

>Lovecraft Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
?

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive

>Self Explanatory
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Recommend things to put in the next OP

>Cthulhu lies fapping

>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads.

Other urls found in this thread:

delta-green.com/2013/07/delta-green-creepiness-a-how-to-guide/),
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>bump

OP's image is saved so hard.

How do you guys potray Nyarlathotep, I lean towards formal/eloquent with black comedy sprinkled in and some hamminess added for fun.

Reminder that eldritch horrors are not for smooching too much.

Nyarlathotep always reminds me of those characters you see in cartoons that antagonizes or helps the main characters in different roles but is still the same person. Kinda like the devil in Cow & Chicken or Rancid Rabbit from Catdog.

Believe it or not, that post was from a thread on /x/ about Lovecraftian horror movies. I'm bound to get this wrong, but It's archived now, sadly.

Christ, I was there when it happened. Shit was great.

I always imagined Nyarlathotep to be extremely regal and charismatic. He was likened to a pharaoh by Lovecraft himself.

>Case Officer's Hankbook will never come out

I lean toward the same. When taking a human form, he is supposed to be very regal and charismatic. On the other hand, he's pretty much messing with humanity for the lulz, and is fully aware that nothing on Earth can really do more than slightly inconvinience him, so I imagine he'd often take a very mocking or sarcastic tone when dealing with humans who overestimate their own importance, and probably doesn't take anything all that seriously (because in the end, it is all inconsequential to him). And if he somehow gets beaten, he probably throws a huge tantrum because things didn't go as he planned and that wasn't even supposed to be possible to happen.

Can you please stop using HPL for your constant shitthreads? It'll never be a meme.

>very mocking or sarcastic tone when dealing with humans who overestimate their own importance
in dream quest he was more "yeah I woulda helped you but I knew youd do it anyway, now shut up and get on this bird", which to me comes across as more dismissive of humanity's worthiness of his attention than outright mocking

So is it just one person jizzing over AM1200 or are there actually multiple people that think it's such hot shit? I thought it was merely okay and I was disappointed that I was able to guess the ending.

On the other hand, "Whispers in the Darkness " includes th line about wow Nyarlathotep "will don the vaxen mask and wear the robe that hides, and come down from the world of the seven suns to mock mankind".

I like Trail of Cthulhu's rules better. Is there a Delta Green for it, with modern professions and such?

Esoterrorists is the closest thing out of the box. I'd try adapting something from Night's Black Agents though.

Hell if I know, but I enjoyed it enough to buy a hard copy and the poster.

pumb

Heres a bump with a deep one child

I'm surprised that you can actually read the text.

I liked it.

"The corn is where we keep the ---- they're fed."
I can't tell that one part.

How do I balance lethal situations for my players? I am scared of putting them against a real threat, in fear of killing them off accidentally. It's an insecurity on my part, I'm scared of not being fair with them, so I go too soft on them.

What are some good TV shows that aren't explicitly Lovecraftian but can make good campaign fodder?

So far I have Twin Peaks, True Detective, and Stranger Things.

-- children. see to it that --

>being afraid of killing your players
There's your problem.

I actually think Gotham has a perfect aesthetic for cosmic horror. Just think about it.

Already done, man. By Mike Mignola no less.

Alright. So balance between wacky fun and difficult challenges? Depends on the GM and players is the answer, ain't it?

I actually meant Gotham, the show, due to his request for television... But holy fuck that gives me a boner.

Indeedy.

I wish we had an image Y'golonac tipping a fedora.

Real goats are already eldritch enough

>want to run delta green
>new DM book is still far off in the distance
>don't want to start a campaign with the older material and then have to switch
help

Shubby, you look lovely today.

Hadn't thought about that. Good idea.
What about A Serious House on Serious Earth and all of Morrison's stuff about Professor Pyg?

>Find a CoC game at last
>Players seem to be alright; they are on the pulpy/annoying side of things but look like genuinely decent people
>GM is decent
>The scenario quickly devolves into pulpy fun and "lol I throw dynamite at the Dark Young"
>Everyone has a tonnes of magic and killing a person nets to sanity loss
I had fun in the end. But it wasn't the kind of fun I was looking forward to.

Is it even possible to have a good CoC game nowadays?

Is the new players book out already? I led the short pre-release adventure they had and it looked fun.

Whenever one of Lovecraft's wicked and vile aberrations made actual vocalization, could hearing this creature cause a man to go crazy, bleed out his orifices or would he just get a minor headache?

In fact are there any established alien languages prevalent throughout any of his stories with names and everything?

Can someone post that mythos coloring book?

The thing?

You let them get access to powerful spells to early and/or you're not having them really suffer the effects of sanity loss.

Loving this art dump

>When the stars are right and she keeps suckin

That seems like it's about to cum.

I am not the GM man, I just joined the game. When I ran CoC I never allowed spells at all except once or twice at pretty much the cost of retiring the character.

The GM is really trying but he doesn't even give us that much sanity loss and when he does it's pretty much inconsequential. Plus he seldom narrates.

So, in my quest to try and make the mythos tomes less... obvious, here's my thoughts on the Cultes Des Ghoules:

In 1703, the French Newspaper La Gazette serialized what they claimed were the dairies of the disgraced and reclusive Francoir-Honore Balfour, the Count of Erlette (a small region neighbouring the Averoigne Valley.)
The Count was well known for having fallen victim to leprosy, hence his seclusion within his home.
The dairies recorded an entirely different story. During a famine in the 1690s, when he was still a young boy; the count was inducted into a strange cult of his forefathers; involving such disgraceful acts as cannibalism, necrophilia, and the occult. The diaries continued with his growing role as a member of this society, until he was in command of a vast network of grave robbers all over France.

Naturally, the publishing of these diaries was not seen as a positive thing. The church denounced them as blasphemous, Balfour himself refuted them, and the paper issued a retraction. The diaries were dismissed as a hoax (in the same vain as the Hitler Diaries, nearly two centuries later)

The public was all too eager to believe the story that the diaries were slander designed to ruin the crippled Count's name.
Certainly the shame was enough to make many of his family abandon him, journeying to America to leave their past behind.

The Count himself remained confined to his manor, until his death two decades later.

The truth never emerged.
The diaries were completely genuine: The Count's disfigurement came not from leprosy but a ghoulish transformation, and many of the rituals described within were authentic ghoulish religious ceremonies.

Fortunately, few records remain of the diaries. The French Revolution and the Reign of Terror which followed resulted in many copies being destroyed, and La Gazette possessed only a single copy when they closed their presses in 1915.
By the modern era, only a dozen are known to remain.

Alright lads, I got a concern. I'm very into Delta Green, and really want to run it to my typically-D&D-playing group.

I'm reading Dennis Detwiller's article On Creepiness (delta-green.com/2013/07/delta-green-creepiness-a-how-to-guide/), and several things jump out at me from the page

>Death is not only part of Delta Green, it is the basis of it. It is a game about human frailty and death, about the struggle against the unknown despite the fact that victory is never possible.

>... humans, unless they are exceedingly careful and clever, have almost no chance of even a limited victory.

>This is not a game about winning, it is a game about surviving to fight another day.

I have no issues with such statements. But I worry about my group becoming apathetic if they sense their characters are meat for an eldritch grinder when the chips are down. How do I sell DG to them? Ever had a similar problem?

It's not the apathy is a problem but the reverse. You see, if it's impossible to preserve a character for long time, people stop forming attachments to them and take it to mean that any crazy shit is possible because "lol I will just roll a new character xD"

>Literally a booger monster

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the whole "almost no chance to win" idea.

It's like with Convergence in the DG core book.
Your Investigators have to either be paranoid nutcases unsuitable for their day jobs; or take out the mi-go lab. If they don't do that, they're dead.

This is some good shit.

How do you get around that?

This Hastur design is pretty rad and Sauron Crown is nice touch.

Carcosa Tracts need to be a thing.

When the Mi-go speaks, pretending to be a human, the voice is described as having a strange quality to it and the air has an odd, pressurised feeling.. but then, that's a minor horror (an alien) actively pretending to be human. Similarly the Yith can be spoken to and are quite chatty, actually.

Don't drink the water. Don't eat the food.
Of course, canonically, according to Delta Green: Countdown. You fail. Everyone dies, except for one of those aforementioned nuts.