/5eg/ - Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Old Thread The moment of realising how fucked up this situation is... Edition

When have you got so far through a plan and realised how crazy it actually is? Or, what's the stupidest plan you've ever attempted to put into practice at the table?

What types of mundane things might a group of adventurers expect to see while traveling along a dirt road?

They could step on irritable earth elementals and genasi.

>Use ROCK SMASH?

Also, stat old man snail mount for my 4'11" small bunfolk beastmaster ranger /fighter cavalier with 3 1d12 lance attacks per round and 20AC

At 1st level, you gain the power of Fell Might. Whenever you deal damage to an enemy, you may expend your Fell Might to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage. Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, you regain your use of Fell Might.

Basically the 4e boon, although that had other applications. Higher level bonuses would be more versatile uses of Fell Might. Given that they're SORCERER-Kings, maybe metamagic?

More mundane. I'm talking, like, an ordinary sign post, or maybe just a rock that would be useful for travelers to take a good sit on. Just ordinary things I can throw into an encounter to make a fight scene feel more alive (and perhaps give my players an opportunity to create an improvised weapon).

I got invited to my first 5e game and was told monks are pretty fun. How would one play a monk based of Zangief? I wish to walk the path of TRUE MUSCLE!

Zangief would probably be better represented, mechanically, by a Barbarian. Monks are not so good for grappling.

Graves, shrines to old /nature gods, interesting natural formations (caves, overhangs, arches, blooming forests)
Old wagon remains, dry stone walls from old farms, a fallen tree
A well for travellers (non magical wishing well)
A giant bird's nest, long abandoned
Nomad barbarian tools or hunting equipment
An old corpse with rusty weapons
A fresh corpse with fine weapons
A conspicuous hunting trap
An old broken bridge
Bigger than normal poison ivy overruns the path (druids!!)
A beaver dam or other obstruction directs water over the road
Deep puddles
Slippery, mossy rocks
Slippery gravel
Thick mud
Icy patches

Wouldnt my punches be shit if I went barbarian?

Yes, that's great! Thanks! If you've got more, I'll take it!

No.

>no
Then how? Don't I only do like 1+str mod (1d4+str mod with tavern brawler) plus the occasional rage bonus? Seems like a bit of a letdown from dropping a 1d12 on a greataxe

That's because it is. But the comparison was between a Zangief Monk and a Zangief Barbarian. Monks don't really need Strength at all, and if you pump Strength and Dexterity, you'll have to sacrifice Con and/or Wisdom. Not really a good deal. Barbarians would also better represent Zangief's toughness with the greater hit die and Rage resistance. I just can't see Zangief being a Monk at all.

Good thing about monk grapplers is you don't have to be as good at grappling as other classes because you get more attacks, so you get more chances to grapple, and if you miss your grapple you can still pop ki to flurry of blows for more attacks
Just be sure to take athletics (STR) as one of your skills, give yourself decent strength (though you still need good Dex for your defences, so best to put that higher) to give yourself a better chance.
The grappler feat isn't so great, but if you're gonna be grappling anyway, it's worth considering (take some stat increases first though).
>Hit - > grapple - > flurry of blows with advantage
is pretty cool

Alternatively, forgo Dex in favour of wisdom and strength and accept low ac in exchange for great Russian bear flavour!

What if I dropped a few levels of barbarian and went the rest monk? That would let me get the con+dex instead of wis and I would also be really tough to kill since I could rage. At that point I could just ignore wis right?

Sure, that sounds fine.

Some of the monk abilities wouldn't be quite as good, but that's no trouble when you've got bear rage (I'd go Barb 1 (Unarmoured Defense) - Monk 5 (extra attack) - Barb 4 (ASI) - Monk X)

Zombie ogres should have 20 STR not 19

Ogre strength is 19, user, otherwise my gauntlets of Ogre strength are lying

Yeah and zombie template adds 1 str genius

So would these stats be good for a variant human of this build?

>Str 16 (starts as 14 +1 racial, +1 tavern brawler)
>Dex 14
>Con 16 (starts as 15 +1 racial)
>Int 8
>Wis 12
>Cha 8

Anyone know of any good oneshot dungeons made for 5e that would take 4-5 hours to run?

Rate my character, /5eg/. She's a Ranger with high dex and cha, working pretty well so far.

>gender
>class
>indication of two ability scores
I'll rate your character when you tell us anything about her.

oops forgot pic senpai

I'm changing my to a 2

Reminds me of when I played a cleric that was impregnated with multiple half devil spawn at once by the bbeg for later sacrifice in a ritual.

That DM was fucked.

It feels a bit of a shame to get tavern brawler when you're going to get better unarmed attacks through monk levels, but between the +1STR at level 1, and the punch- grapple, I can't really recommend anything better!
Hope you have fun with it!

Maybe I can find some gauntlets of zombie ogre strength lying around then, nice trips

Thanks man you have been a great help.

What are the short or long-term benefits of playing a Wild Magic sorcerer? The idea of the magic surge table seems fun and interesting, but you only have a 1/20 chance of getting to roll on it in the first place. Compared to the Draconic bloodline stuff it seems really minor, but then again it's a caster class and you've got spells, so that might not be a bad thing?

Well that certainly doesn't look like anything he described. Like the other guy I'd go with a 2 out of 10

Re-read tides of chaos. Just give yourself advantage as much as possible so when you cast a spell you roll straight to the WMS table.

wild magic is basically 60% good, 20% bad and 20% retarded. if you mean long term as in "permanent effects on the table" you've got like a 1% chance to get anything specific, no point of wanting one.
if you mean "why is it good" well you get to pick your wild magic eventually, giving you good ones pretty often. bend luck is a little shit, and tides of chaos is great like said, but its entirely based on the dm giving its use back to you. Spell bombardment is great though

So it is the kind of thing that requires DM input, huh. How often do they do that in your experience? Doing it every time seems like fishing for 1s, but it's the kind of thing you picked the class and archetype for.

>our ranger got a hold of nettle, the sentient crossbow
>DM roleplays it as an uptight Ojou-sama that demands his full attention and the finest care
>tfw our ranger is now a slave to his crossbow

Could a druid shapeshift into a bear to lift a portcullis? If not a bear, what other beast could do it?
Discussing with my group, we were split on whether they've got enough grip with their paws, or if they'd even need to grip it to lift it

Haven't played Wild Magic with enough DMs to tell you, but if you don't feel like it's often enough, you can always talk to the DM.

First game 4th session for me (and my DM who is great). Rest of party is VERY slowly evolving from full murder hobo to actual players and despite a half hour debate each session about if we will kill creatures that are throwing us an easy diplomacy bone we've all had a lot of fun and laughs, but I have two problems, one mechanic related and one related to being lawful good.
Mechanics - DM suggested we not try to minmax when making characters so I rolled a elf Cleric and rolled for stats.
Due to idiocy on my part I only have a +2 bonus to wis so I can't hit anything with offensive spells (I wanted to specialize heavily in healing). I also have only 14 HP at lvl 2 so I'm made of glass if anything manages to hit me. Really my only redeeming factors are that I have the most AP of the party, my +2 str bonus, and my +1 sword we just got. Can I be saved? Should I just wait in the back toss mostly ineffective spells and heal?
>Second problem requiring a bit more outside the box thinking is that I sort of decided my character would try to avoid unneeded death of any sentient creature.
>Last session I managed to convince the party to take in a few lackies alive, but the town mayor is either corrupt, willfully ignorant, or just ignorant about their gang. If I'm lawful I cant exactly throw a coup on the town, but letting these guys go or slaughtering them aren't good either.
Thoughts?

maybe if its slick or the holes are too small for the paws, otherwise I'd have no problem with a bear lifting it

the druid could shapeshift into something small, pop through the holes and find the switch too

it would still be a strength check. and presumably if the holes are large enough to get your arm through, a bears paw is fine
depending on what kind of bear matters though, since their str is like 14-20

any of the CoS AL stuff any good?

I haven't read the adventures themselves but they have some neat custom monsters (like humanoid bosses with legendary actions even at low CRs, pretty interesting).

how big is the door?
a bear isn't really built like a human in this sense and couldn't really get his back legs into it like you or I could with a deadlift.

The expanded dark powers gifts are pretty good.

Are characters able to discern the effects of a curse or even that they've been cursed in the first place?

If they see the person casting the spell then yes. If not then maybe.

Can I cast spell while sliding under the enemy? I want to shoot huge mknster up into the sky with repelling blast.

The cleric were to be sacrificed, or her devilspawn?

I imagine only if your spell is either bonus action (i.e it the spell is quick to cast)/rection spell or require little component ( so only vocal or something )

Only with a huge or larger creature, since something needs to be 2 size categories larger than you for you to enter it's squares. Though I can't recommend doing that since then a huge creature will land on you when it falls

>running OotA
>no PC can effectively use the Dawnbringer

This is hilarious. Can't wait to give it to Eldeth or Jimjar, both NPCs that the players actively dislike.

About the first problem, you guys are still level 2, right? Talk to your DM, let him know you're not satisfied with your character as he is, ask him if he'd have a problem with you rearranging your stats. If you are a cleric, I hope you went with Wood Elf for their Wisdom bonus, otherwise you might be stuck with +2 wisdom for a while no mater what. And since you're an elf, it might have been better to go for a dex-cleric. You have less weapon choices, but elves with their +2 dex have a better time using ranged and finesse weapons.

About your second problem, you're lawful, which means you adhere to a personal code. You are rigid in your methods, That doesn't mean you have to side with the law every time. If you're good and believe in defeating/destroying evil, or in the sacredness of life, and the town leaders are corrupt and/or inefficient, you gotta weigh what matters most to your character. Does he cares most about the innocents suffering because of this gang? This gang is allowed to go on by the mayor? Then by all means he doesn't deserve his position. How you go about it depends on you, you might oust him by force, straight-up assassinate him, convince the townsfolk he's a terrible leader, prove his foul play, develop a convoluted and hilarious plan with your party that involves illusions, Vicious Mockery and a bag of tricks, etc.

Take tavern brawler. It nets you a 1d4+Str mod punching ability.
Dip into rogue for expertise and cunning action.
Use expertise on athletics proficiency and grapple everything.

You won't be doing lots of damage tho.
Monks are better for damage but rely on a mental stat so they are innately predisposed to being MC gishes with cleric or druid levels.

Pandas have something like thumbs but a great ape would be better.

First wanted to thank you for the response.
I feel like I'm too all arounder with my stats. I have no negatives but 2 is my best bonus. Is there any quick way to get some more life? I was thoroughly frightened when a single mob did 10 dg on a save, 2 hits and i would have been done, but was luckily not stupid enough to be the first person to sprint to the magic items.
Can I get a bit more clarification on the lawful part? I sort of understood that to mean "won't break the law no matter what." because he believes in law and order so much he has to work within it or risk becoming what he hates. The only examples that come to mind are Suzaku in the fun shitshow code geass, or Flynn for the super obscure game "tales of vesperia".
Also if you don't mind a few more questions regarding lawful good
2-a
Killed a goblin leader who was killing caravans.
His second in command wants to parlay, says he won't kill more caravans. I rolled a 10 on sense motive. Is it wrong to let him live since they might just kill more?
2-b
Managed to take several mooks alive due to party face actually making a very compelling argument, the fact that we outnumber them, and a good roll.
What do I do with them if we still have more rooms to explore?
Special note that the party fighter is full murder hobo and wants to get every bit of loot and xp he can so tries to turn every encounter into a bloodbath. The DM does not love this.

Big question: Beyond the PHB, where have new classes been introduced into 5th Edition?

Outside of homebrew and playtest material? None. With the playtest material, you've got the Mystic, which only goes to level 10 and is psionics, and that Runecaster prestige class.

There have been quite a few subclasses though, which I'm more happy with. Subclasses are robust enough to handle plenty of concepts, so I don't see new classes as something that will be needed often.

nowhere
they're all just archtypes
theres a number in sword coast, most are from unearthed arcana, but some of those are shit just because they are UA. if someone has the character option pdf, it lists them all and where they are from

Damn. So nothing really available to Adventurers League play... Damn, that's kind of shameful, at this point.

>Literally asking for class bloat

Why?

Can you name a new class that they could actually make aside from artificer, which iirc they are letting the guy that made eberron handle? You don't need more classes if they already have all the basic ideas covered.

Psionics.

Not bloat, just more options. I really expected more books oriented toward players at this point, but it's just been a bunch of adventures...

>Psionics

Which they're working out the details for.

>Not bloat, just more options

Which exist in the form of subclasses. Sword coast adventure guide has several.

We're not going to get a bunch of new classes. I don't know why you'd want a bunch of new classes.

As nice as more options sounds, 5es simplicity seems to result in very little design space for good and distinct options. There's only so many fiddly bits to work with.

2E (when they got the name) didn't actually have the sorcerer class. And they got taught how to use magic by Rajaat. The sorcerer kings were dual classed psionicist / wizards.

I think Psionics is the one good idea to add in especially if it means more stuff to make Int a relevant stat outside of Wizards

>5es simplicity
Aside from feat scarcity and skills being a simple yes/no, it's essentially the same as 3E from a player perspective.

>Which they're working out the details for.
Two years since release, four since they announced 5e...

The rush of 4e really killed their desire to put out books, huh?

So I've not founda clear answer for this, looking for an answer.

When a person levels up, does their XP reset back to 0, and then they need to get however many points to get to next level (so a person who just hit level 2 needs 900 XP to get to level 3) or is it cumulative until you hit the XP threshold to hit the next level (someone hits level 2 and has 300 xp, they then need to get 600 xp from encounters to hit level 3).

I want to say it resets but I'm not certain, and my google-fu is weak.

I think Artificer is important as well, if only because currently it doesn't feel right as a Wizard subclass.

They could theoretically make one that more fully exchanges spell slots for potions and charged magical items and things, but if people wanted to play an Artificer that's just a Wizard calling all of his spells gadgets or potions, they could already do so.

So im guessing this is your first RPG?

Artificer was so distinct in 3rd edition that they've had a lot of trouble shoehorning it into other classes.

No, it's cumulative. If a level 1 character somehow got 900 experience, they would shoot straight up to level 3.

Personally I'd like to see a few more options. Specifically, I'd like to see some of the following things:

> Spontaneous INT-based caster with limited spell list/spells learned that are tied to your subclass
> Spontaneous WIS-based caster (ie., Favored Soul from 3.5), spells learned are tied to the subclass/domain your divine touch came from
> A "tinkerer" support class (like an Artificer)
> Psionics with subclasses explaining what it can do (one melee dps, one for ranged dps, one for healing/buffs/debuffs)
> 4th edition's Warlord (able to use something like superiority die to let team mates move around on his turn, get a free attack, ranged heal, etc., while he bashes skulls in)

Tabletop RPG, yes. I've played video games for a while, and I've seen them do both in various RPGs.

I assumed it was cumulative, just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

With the DM Quests thing, if you're a DM and you recruit another player to become a DM for two sessions, you could create a 1st level character that suddenly has 15,000 XP.

Yeah, I understand why the UA version was such a mess, especially since they can't easily give it all the real magic item creation it had in 3.5

I don't have much experience with Artificers myself, though the biggest things I would want from one is some way to get a few 'free' healing potions each day, and the ability to get elemental ammunition in a similar way or charge up a weapon with elemental energy for brief periods.

Battlemaster fighter does the warlord thing pretty well. You choose the features that let you spend your superiority dice to allow allies to make attacks, take inspirational leader, etc. Should work pretty damn well, and you can frontline.

wouldn't a INT-based caster be Psionics since it using brain power and all

Protection from Evil and Good states that it consumes holy water or powdered silver and iron on casting, but doesn't give a monetary cost. If a player had a Holy water flask (25gp), would the whole thing be used up by the spell?

>Spontaneous INT-based caster with limited spell list/spells learned that are tied to your subclass

All casters are spontaneous now.

>Spontaneous WIS-based caster (ie., Favored Soul from 3.5), spells learned are tied to the subclass/domain your divine touch came from

Favored Soul was already done as a Sorcerer subclass. Clerics are already spontaneous, and they do get extra spells from domains.

Tying into each of these, 5e clearly doesn't want to do the idea of having new classes that are just existing classes with more thematic spell lists.

>A "tinkerer" support class (like an Artificer)

Yeah, I can agree to that

>Psionics with subclasses explaining what it can do (one melee dps, one for ranged dps, one for healing/buffs/debuffs)

I'd rather the Psionics subclasses not just be WoWspecs, but rather diciplines like Telepathy and Telekinesis. At best, have an extra option where at an early level they can choose to either get extra armor proficiencies and extra HP each level (for a Psychic warrior type) or extra power points or spells known (for a more mage type)

>4th edition's Warlord (able to use something like superiority die to let team mates move around on his turn, get a free attack, ranged heal, etc., while he bashes skulls in)

I do think they need to have a better take on this, though I still feel like they could almost fit it in to the existing class structure. Currently you can do it decently well with a Battlemaster fighter and a Mastermind Rogue, but I think what you'd really need for a successful one is to have more Superiority dice, but smaller ones, and on someone who's not quite as combat capable.

more likely than not scared them with how much they fucked up, then double spooked with how quickly they announced 5e

What's a better gish: Fighter 1/Dragon Sorcerer X, or Fighter 1/Abjurer X?

I asked this in the last thread but I was wonder for as vengeance pally should I remain pure pally or should I multi-class to lore bard or old gods-lock

if my game demand more social check than combat but my party has few Charisma based character already
Fighter 1/Dragon Sorcerer X just for meta magic

I'm sorry but your PCs are all
>evil
or
>not proficient with longswords or shortswords
or
>use neither strength nor dexterity

Really? A party of evil wizards is it?

paladins are good on their own, and their capstone is really great
basically for those two other choices you're given the real question is
"do i really need more spells, specifically non paladin ones" and "do i need a good ranged attack"
most likely not lore bard, iirc you said there was a bard in the party, so you arnt even covering buffs he could do anyway (bless would most likely still be more important anyway)
so its really if you want a ranged attack that i presume you spend your invocations on making better. double points for lock with short rest spells being extra smites per day

>A party of evil wizards is it?
That would be hilarious tho.

wouldi t be a good idea to add a second form of chill touch, the one from 2e, for a necromancer.
instead of 1d8 + no regen, instead its 1d4 + lose 1 point of strength, saving roll instead of attack roll

well the reason I considering lock it that I spec as an interrogator type (i.e +6 intimidation/ +3 insight) character so specing old one mean I get detect thought

and since my group is kinda stealthy for the most part I was thinking to getting disguise self and maybe invisibility as well as the cantrip Green flame blade for that extra attack

no

and also I was considering to get some decide cantrip like guidance as well

is the strength drain too much for a cantrip?
should it be a level 1 spell instead? gaining +1d4 +1 strength drain per level?

the strength drain is for 1 hour or a short rest by the way

just no

Is attribute drain a thing in 5e?

just for monsters

it could be, some kinds of monsters have it, like wraiths

Metamagic would be a little wonky because then you can just dip a level of sorcerer and then it goes all out of whack.
Additionally, the Patron is also supposed to be applicable to any setting via extensively powerful wizards and shit, and not JUST dark sun, in a similar vein to how the Bannerette fighter is the Purple Dragon Knight in Forgotten Realms.

However, Fell Might just seems like a stronger Hex that doesn't eat up a spell slot or action