On the docket today: URBAN FANTASY

On the docket today: URBAN FANTASY

Y'know, like World of Darkness. Or Cyberpunk. Shit like that.

Hard mode: Not that one Dresden RPG pic again. You know the one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W0yY4DCShog
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Urbane Fantasy

How is Cyberpunk Urban Fantasy? Shadowrun is Urban Fantasy, Cyberpunk is Sci-Fi.

You know what, proceed, I was stupidly salty.

>Y'know, like World of Darkness. Or Cyberpunk. Shit like that.
That's kind of pleb-tier stuff though, isn't it?

"fantasy" is a broad term. It doesn't just mean "magic".

I really want one of these shirts now

I kind of do, but
>100% cotton

>Cyberpunk
>Urban Fantasy
That's wiggity wiggity wack yo

Any non-ballistic weapon in a "postmid-XVIII century" setting (or equivalent) is just retarded.

If this nigga comes running towards me with his stick I'll just gun him down.

Except for close-range silent kills or singular control, there's no point in having melee weapons in any modern setting.

it's magic

you can tell because it's glowing

Still, isn't that just a laser pike?

Mimi fucked up again...

What is non-pleb-tier urban fantasy, mister patrician-user?

There are people in this world that think melee combat is "Cool" or "Practical."

Those are the same people that think the 21 foot rule applies when someone's gun is drawn or they are ready for combat.

The kind that makes you think, man.

who knows? magic weapons can do all sorts of things. it would be very unimaginative to rule it out entirely in a fantasy context.

>If this nigga comes running towards me with his stick I'll just gun him down.

And your bullets do absolutely nothing, because all those magic tattoos make his skin impervious to mundane weapons.

He then proceeds to carve you up like a Christmas turkey, regardless of any stab-proof vests or bullet-proof plates you may be wearing, because his knife is fucking magic.

Personally, I find the Vampires + Werewolves default setting for urban fantasy utterly trite and boring. There's so much more colourful and creative stuff you could be doing with the premise of "fantasy set in the modern world", yet we always seem to come back to wolfmen and bloodsuckers.

Also consider, Suburban Fantasy.

Seriously. Even just the bog standard fantasy races would be more interesting in Urban Fantasy than vampires and werewolves.

>Orcish ghettoes
>Elven arts and jewelry shops,
>Dwarven and Gnomish tinkerers, metalworkers, and vehicle repairmen
>Halfling restaurants and bakeries

Imagine, too, how most places will have doors for the tall races and the short races. Restaurants and pubs will have short and tall booths and tables. Seeing humans and elves giving piggy back rides to their drunk halfling and gnome friends, wizard gangs in the bad parts of town, a group of friendly clerics at the hospital, an honest to god dragon running your local bank and guarding the vault, giant construction workers, all that cool shit that's blatantly impossible in the real life.

YES

It's been lame lately, to be honest.

Did the fucking dodge ball arc fucking end already?

It's hitball. And kind of yes, but not really.

Why do all "Urban Fantasy" girls look the same?

Fuck if I know.

>dragon running your local bank and guarding the vault
Dragon realizes that in 2016 it's easier to create a hoard of gold and treasures by giving out loans and playing the stock market, and in doing so has more time to snuggle up on top of the pile.

>That trigger discipline
>Having the blade of your sword that close to your flesh
>Holding the gun in your off-hand
0/10 apply yourself

>>Having the blade of your sword that close to your flesh
Normally only 1/3rd of the sword towards the tip was actually razor-sharp. 1/3rd in the middle somewhat sharp and the bottom part dull. What she's doing should be safe,

>Holding the gun in your off-hand
user, lefties might be an abomination before the Lord, but they do still exist.

I was assuming she's right handed due to the fact that the flintlock is one her right, which implies that she prefers her right hand to aim. Also, that knife is in a position to be drawn with the right hand.

I'd figure you'd want to place the secondary hilt(?) on your shoulder instead. Or whatever it's called, you know, the thing where you can place your hand, but not the one that's... Wood?

A nightstick or a maglev flashlight works wonders when used in melee, as does a sword or an axe or what have you.
Just because guns exist, doesn't mean that everyone has one.

For more professional fighters, like military or mercenaries, it's always a good idea to have at least a knife on hand if you do end up in melee, or your gun jams, or you run out of ammo.

>flintlock is one her right
It's a sawn-off double barrel, but I see your point there. She might be ambidextrous though, since she's got two pistols.
>secondary hilt(?) on your shoulder instead
Probably an uncomfortable way to support the blade though I'm not exactly an expert on real swords.

Did somebody say "Urban Fantasy"?

>maglev
MagLIGHT, not Maglev. Maglev is a type of train, MagLIGHT is a type of flashlight.

Shit, I just noticed that. I was only looking at the grip, and for some reason Flintlock was my first reaction.

There has been a thread or two about a Wendigo apocalypse.

>Flintlock was my first reaction
It's those sexy wooden curves and the hammers at the sides.

Sort of on topic, why aren't pistol and shield combos more popular?

They are popular.

I meant in fantasy games/books/movies. I almost never see them.

>impervious to mundane weapons.
How fortunate then that this gun is enchanted to fire magic missiles. Magic doesn't make melee any better of an idea when I can use it from a distance.

Nah, fuck that, that's even more boring.

I mean telling actual fantastical stories, set in the real world. Inventing new mythologies for urban spaces, filling these new streets with new wonders, instead of just regurgitating the same old shit in a new wrapper. Make up fantastical things that could only exist in an urban setting, like Taxi Monks or the Great Game.

Don't just give Orcs desk jobs.

And how fortunate that the guy has superhuman speed, and can close the distance to you faster than you can raise your gun and fire.

Gee, it's almost as if magic can do all sorts of things, like totally negate any advantage that a fully-automatic firearm could grant you.

>teleports behind you

>turns off teleporting
>unzips gun

I admit it's stupid. It's also completely true. In all the realms of fantastical possibility, this idiot thinks that machineguns are and always will be king.

I imagine he'd be one of the redshirts who gets mauled to death by the bulletproof Monster of the Week, giving the protagonists a chance to observe the creature and figure out its real weakness.

>using tvtropespeak

>this idiot thinks that machineguns are and always will be king
The problem with the realms of fantastical possibility is that's it's just that. Possibility. It depends on the setting, the answer that Veeky Forums seems to hate so much.
In one world, the monster of the week is bulletproof, in another he's axe-proof, or magic proof. Oh, I've got a shield, or I can reflect bullets, or I'm made of rubber.

Yeah, why use a resource that gives common terms to concepts?

You sound like the kind of person to use UnLunDun as wank fuel.

The guy's original point was that there was never any point in using a melee weapon when guns will always be superior, even though any idiot hack writer could come up with a decent excuse for that not to be the case.

Never heard of it. I just think "it's stuff from a fantasy world, BUT IN REAL LIFE!" is a massive failure of imagination, when there's so much more interesting things you could get into by actually dwelling on the nature of cities and urban life for just a moment.

>Tfw the only urban fantasy your group would ever play is zombies.

Shields are very medieval and knightly, while pistols are modern and duely. It's too big a thematic gap to cross for most things.

Unknown Armies is pretty good for this.

Unknown Armies

So basically just Unknown Armies?

I think it's also that ballistic materials aren't really that great in fantasy settings. You'd be able to fend off melee attacks with the shield, but if cased ammo and rifling is around, you're pretty well fucked on blocking bullets. It wasn't until relatively recently that we have been able to produce shields that actually can reliably block bullets.

pretty much all of the zombie genre is technically urban fantasy. It's kinda a modern day mythos.

The 21 feet rule law does not apply to polearms and swords, only concealed weapons.

Because they are all Buffy.

disapproves.

What the fuck is with her arm jesus christ everytime I see that I have a heart attack.

>I think it's also that ballistic materials aren't really that great in fantasy settings.
They're not all that great in reality either.

Sure, if you're shot in the chest, we can put a sheet of kevlar there or a steel plate.

But helmets? Largely worthless when it comes to helping soldiers survive military grade small-arms fire.

They'll stop .22 longs, but the typical AK 7.62×39mm or M-16 5.56×45mm will go right through anything that's light enough to put on your head. It'll save some kids from shrapnel though, and that's enough reason to wear it.

>Those pixellated hands
That's pretty fuckin' cool.

>Having the blade of your sword that close to your flesh
Another pleb yet to be enlightened by the way of Mordhau

>But helmets? Largely worthless when it comes to helping soldiers survive military grade small-arms fire.
youtube.com/watch?v=W0yY4DCShog On the contrary...

Utter bullshit. Maybe back in WW2 that was the case, but definitely not now. Standard issue helmets in the US military are capable of deflecting or stopping an intermediate cartridge round. Not at point blank, or even within 30 meters or so, but they're tough. Also, body armor these days uses a combo of a kevlar layer and a ceramic plate insert to defeat rounds. Steel is available but much less desirable due to weight, less effective at stopping rounds, and spalling is nasty stuff.

Tl;dr you're pretty out of date when it comes to armor but at least you know to keep your damn helmet on.

Most helmets nowadays can reliably stop 5.56x45mm at I'd say... 100 meters? Ceramic plate inserts can stop up to 7.62x51mm at nearly point blank ranges, though they are quick to break.

Though, we are far from universal coverage with body armour. With full plate, you probably have about 90% torso coverage, and it's heavy as all hell. A helmet protects roughly 60% of your head, considering the face is completely exposed. There is more or less nothing for the limbs, and even the groin and neck don't receive ample protection.

While armour is good nowadays, it's certainly not like it is in the movies. Though, going back to the first post, ballistic shields are actually fairly good, and can reliably protect from quite a few shots. Though they require one to only have one free hand, and they only protect from the front.

I used Pistol+Shiled in a Ballad of the Laser whales tournament a bit ago.
Was pretty cool, might do a similair character if I ever get to play a campaign in the system

Did someone say URBAN FANTASY?!?

If there's any wizard gang to be had, they'd be extremely old organizations, like the triads, Russian Mafia or the yakuza. Officer-tiers would be shamans, orthodox clerics, or onmyōji with oni or trolls as their muscle.