/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Benevolent liberators of Resdayn edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Mistress Therana.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1dM0O4dV7lMBQjqDMLfM3MIpcISy6JbaJsBOjiw8YxJI/edit?pli=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for No one Bests an Orc!

can someone explain to me how the Redoran ended up being the dominant house, you would think that the devastating eruption and the chaos of an argonian invasion would be a perfect time for the Telvani to grab power, not to mention the fact that when it comes to fighting a bunch of lizards a powerful, ancient mages would be far more effective then a bunch of regular warriors

How can I optimize my Morrowind? I wanna play on a shitty laptop while I'm on vacation.

>telvanni caring about non-telvanni

Telvanni lived almost exclusively on islands. You know, surrounded by water where argonians can invade from.

You know, shouldn't Dust Adepts be incredibly well suited for surviving on post-red year vvardenfell? The ashlands are more fertile and full of life than ever, what with pieces of the Heart sprinkled everywhere. That kind of magical mojo combined with significantly greater amounts of dust and ash across the island should make Dust Adepts powerful as fuck.

Ok, so Dagon used to hide pieces of creation from Alduin to save them from being eaten right? But then how did a new kalpa start? I was under the impression that everything has to be eaten first before that happens, and where did he hide it some kinda pocket dimension? And most importantly what did he do with it when a new kalpa starts, just drop it off in the world somehow?

is he the reason the hist and dreugh are around? aren't they also from previous kalpas?

How shitty are we talking? I feel like anything better than a chromebook from the past 10 years should run morrowind fine, it's an old game.

Even then, their mainland holdings are in the northeast. Argonians need to get through Dres and Indoril first.

its this thing

I set the resolution and render distance to the lowest (I could play no problem on crappy graphics) but it's still not smooth.

Yeah, I can very much imagine Vvardenfell being nice and green again at the time of Skyrim but for some reason Red Mountain is still spreading smoke and ash after 200 years

seems like a really big oversight on Bethesda

I don't mind it still spewing ash, some volcanoes are bullshit like that - though one wonders why that amount of ash hasn't just blocked out the sun over all of tamriel by now.

What if the Dust Adepts were keeping it from poisoning the atmosphere all this time

Did the dunmer deserve Red Year and the argonian invasion?

After reading all the UESP atricles of the races, bretons seem the most appealling race to me. Sadly, the article is rather limited.
Any good sources for learning more about Bretons?
Any interesting stories or facts to share?

Generic medieval europeans.

It wasn't enough.

Well, there's also Oblivion crisis and Umbriel, Dunmer got quadruple penetrated in a short timeframe

The Dunmer are huge cunts, so it's only natural that they should get a quad penetration.

Reminder that Dunmer girls are the sluttiest.

They're also assholes

NORD PRIDE NIRN WIDE

True, but all other races are either insufferable cunts or not suited for a mage.

Most races have brought forth powerful mages. Even Nords.

I guess Argonians "deserved" they chance for revenge after centuries of slavery, but Red Year? I'm not so sure. Truth, many Dunmers were kind of cunts, but except for slavery they were cunts who mostly kept to themselves and didn't do much harm to the world.

Best TES fan artists Veeky Forums?
Apologies if that's not considered lore-y enough.

I'd presume it's a matter of fortitude. The warrior mindset Redoran are raised to adhere by made them the most qualified to stand firm and and rally the Dunmer people than the happy merchants or the squishy wizards.

Honestly I try to ignore kalpic buggery for the most part. It gets a little silly. And one line from Paarthurnax aside lacks traction.
Plus I don't see the need to give each individual Daedric Prince his own special OC Donut Steel origin. Wasn't "the 15 + 1" a big deal in some Dwarven text way back when, because Malacath alone was different to the rest?

M A G I C
A
G
I
C

Maybe not "deserve" but masochism's ingrained in their culture so it's all good.

Really? After reading up on them all Breton's sound far and away the most boring IMO.
Bretons are insufferable cunts too user. They man's ambition mixed with mer's conniving. Always bickering and backstabbing.
Most bro's probably one of the beast races.

Or Bosmer
>implying there's a difference lol

>NORD
literally niggers of man races

Why does /tgesg/ hate Nords so much?

They form the top 3 of races with most lore and history (that we know of, cause every province has a rich history, it just isn't known well to us) along with Dunmer and Cyrods.

>Lyg: it's one of the Adjacent Places. It's still there. I wouldn't call it a different kalpa so much as a parallel version of Tamriel. -MK
What did he mean by this?

I thought that the Dagon sinks everything thing lined up with the Dawn Era/Annuad, which is where all prior kalpas are condensed into (I think?).

listen up pleb
>God tier
Altmer, Redguards
>Good tier
Imperials, Dunmer
>Okay tier
Bretons, Nords
>Bad tier
Bosmer, Orcs
>Slave tier
Khajiit, Argonians

But I don't. All proper races have their place, and they all have value.
Except for the Bosmer.

>Why does /tgesg/ hate Nords so much?
3rd and 4th era nords are garbage, Julianos stopped being a major god, and with his worship declined magic and brains in Skyrim, they wallow in mud, retardation and poverty while going:
>we wuz emperors and shiet

It's exactly reverse, you fag

>implying that not all races have contribute to lore like said
TES would be a lot more dull if we'd cut out unpopular races. Go to /v/ for race arguments.

Yeah, I'm also dissapointed. I don't think Nords are supposed to be stupid, it's just how Bethesda shows them. What happened to shouting being common, snow whales, cool armor, Jhunal worship and mages like Shalidor?

>shouting being common
way of the voice, basically nords got BTFO despite having thuum and decided that its the sign from the gods that thuum should only be used for worship
>snow whales
never existed in the first place desu, outside of Kirkbrides writings in which it was actually presented as a myth
>cool armor
there is still some cool armor around, stahlrim has stats comparable to ebony and nordic engraved heavy armor is also extremely good
>Jhunal worship and mages like Shalidor?
this is the least explained part, I am not even sure about the timelines here, but for some reason the popularity of Julianos declined and then of course winterhold sank, mages were blamed and the popularity of magic and brains declined further

even in morowind nords were presented as idiots who are constantly caught by witches with their pants around their ankles, its a shame really, but all these factors contribute to me considering nords one of the shittiest races

>God tier
>Altmer,

I'm assuming you're not even counting Betmer as "proper races" then.

I'm about to play morrowind for the first time (although I've been lurking lore threads and wikis for a good long while now) and I'd be interested in hearing some characters you guys have roleplayed in it so I can blatantly steal them.

Well the Khajiit are proper mer, though they hardly look it in 50% of their kinds, but the Saxhleel are just tree-drones who've done a good job of convincing people they're "individuals."

Orsimer are literal shit elves though.

>Making a Wizard character of any other race

It's like you wish to be inferior. This is why African Swordsingers and Chinese Magicmen are God tier, they obsolete all other races in their chosen proficiency. Which happen to be the best proficiencies, unlike literally Jewish Cyrodils and Sneaky Dickass Thief Dunmer.

>Making a Wizard character at all
RIP AND TEAR! TEAR AND RIP!

>Not making a stealth archer

Armored archer with a bigass axe is tha best

>Well the Khajiit are proper mer
I adhere to the Azurah origin too but by it's own account they're abstract mer.

>Making a Wizard character
Damn beat me to it.

...Oh shit! I get it now!

>Not bending the forces of reality to your whim

Bakas! Bakas all of you!

>Relying on Daedra and Oblivion
>Relying on reality-breaking things
>Not on your own trusty muscles and pieces of (sometimes) sharpened metal

I'm soft as shit man I like comfortable things

I tried magic in Morrowind. Nobody told me that magic doesn't regen until I'd already gotten comfy.
What's the best of the games for a pure magic build? I inevitably end up having to hack at enemies anyway when my spells do fuck all and they close distance. Magic feels so inefficient even at higher levels to be worth betting the farm on.

The key to magic in Morrowind is Alchemy!

you have to abuse broken mechanics at first if you want to be a pure mage, steal the alchemy equipment in that one mage guild that has it unguarded, was it the caldera one? and then make some potions

What do you guys think of this character concept for playing Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Skyrim

Name: Meles
Race: High Elf
Birthsign: Maybe atronach, not sure yet.
Class: Wizard.
This character is a vampire high elf wizard. He is a proud altmer. He travels through Tamriel in search of powerful magic and magicians to learn from or to challenge. In his quest for power he decided to prolong his already long life by becoming a vampire. He is self-serving and strives for power and knowledge. He lives rather secluded and doesn't favor town-life.

The idea is to play this character in all the games and that he as a vampire survives in between the games.

What do you guys think?
Any ideas to add on to this for extra role-play potential?

It works but it's nothing special.

If you're taking him to skyrim, maybe incorporate hermeus mora into the character from the start and keep yourself almost exclusive to him.

Also finish morrowind on doing something really horrible that leaves you in prison.

Good idea. Magnus and Akatosh (Auri-El) would already get a role with this character, but hermeus mora seems the perfect deity to be working with on the side.

Yeah Morrowind was not very friendly to pure Mage builds. The best way was to either abuse Alchemy, which would break the game, or go full autism leveling up Destruction or Mysticism and using custom-crafted spells.

Mysticism could really break the game open for Mage characters and the only reason it wasn't abused much is because Alchemy overshadowed it, and everything else.

To answer the question though; Skyrim is actually pretty fun as a Mage once you get past the first two tiers of spells. Tossing out Fireballs and Chain Lightnings is way more fun than hack&slashing, or even worse, Archery.

I don't know if you can do much while a vampire in Morrowind as people won't talk to you. It might even exclude you from doing the main quest (unless you know what to do) but if you finish the main quest first you can't become a vampire since you become immune to diseases.

Forgot about that, hmm..
Maybe I'll ditch the vampire part then. Being a mage and altmer gives acces to an incredibly long lifespan already.
Or I'll add vampirism in Oblivion with some character progression.

Maybe just... dont do the main quest of morrowind. Play like the nereverine is someone else

We're getting a Morrowind remake on the PS4 where you play as the never-ever-ine

Should I use OpenMW even if I intend on playing vanilla? For performance boost and such?

Also, when in Skyrim, you'll probably want to become a werewolf and do the related quests you want to do before doing the Dawnguard DLC quest to get the special vampirism, as the the events that give you lycanthropy and DLC Vampirism will cure you of the other and you won't have many chances to switch between them.

At least in Oblivion it's simple.

Hope none of the Daedric Princes refuse your servitude or anything like that.

>educated and wise
>knowledgeable about philosophy and religion
>devoted to learning the secrets of the universe
>respected and revered
>swole af
>can do rad kung fu
>at peak physical fitness
>mages be mirin' your mind
>warriors be mirin' your body
>thieves be mirin' your agility

Why be a out of shape mage with diabetes or a dumb warrior who cannot read when you can be the best of both worlds?
Become a Punchmonk today!

>addicted to moon sugar
>nobody takes you seriously
wew lad, cats trying to pass for actual people as ususual

Do warriors in TES even lift?

You seem to be a few legs short.

Here you are fampai: docs.google.com/document/d/1dM0O4dV7lMBQjqDMLfM3MIpcISy6JbaJsBOjiw8YxJI/edit?pli=1

I also happen to like Bretons a lot. Never understood why one or two people in the threads are so violently opposed to them and yell "BORING EUROPEAN I HATE YOU!". I can get not liking them, but the autism against them not having tusks is ridiculous.

Bretons are just kind of... misused. The natural resistance to Magic could have made for some great Anti-Mage fluff, instead they're like... halfbreed Cyrodils.

Reachmen are pretty cool though, in fact Reachmen are probably my favorite piece of new fluff from Skyrim.

I like the idea of them being western fantasy cranked to 11. Everyone has pointy hats and everything is magic.

Consider suicide. Magic is the best, except in Skyrim. Mages are also cool as hell, and one of the best fantasy tropes there is.
You have to play strategically, especially if you are doing pure mage. Open up with a summon to distract and cast at enemies, carry plenty of potions on you, and make sure to rest often and cast conservatively.

Once you learn how to play a mage, they become the best class to ply, even without exploits.

>one or two people in the threads are so violently opposed to them and yell "BORING EUROPEAN I HATE YOU!"

Same.
That would be really cool. I could see some groups of Bretons with less merish ancestry being violently opposed to dark magic, and forming anti-mage paladin orders. If any race would be Paladins, it would be them.

Scroll up, pham.

Don't you know that TES only has room for "interesting things". Maybe if they were made of fire and rode on 60 foot tall salamanders, people might be allowed to like them, but they aren't, so I don't allow it.

>hand to hand 70
>unarmoured 70
>speechcraft 70
Caius is a beast.

The only Hand to Hand trainer that outranks him is Taren Omothan, a Dissident Priest who trained in Elsweyr.

>bretons
>anti-mage
Totally retarded.

I really hate how Bretons, Cyrods and Nords have been somewhat 'stripped down' by the games and all 3 of them have become pretty generic humans.

Not completely generic ofcourse, but all 3 of them are presented as being much more alike than they should be.

How is it retarded? Bretons and Nords are both known to make excellent anti-mages, with Bretons playing as defensive Anti-mage mages, and Nords as offensive Anti-mage warriors.

Because of the racial tendency towards magic and the importance of magic in Breton culture.

Duh, but Bretons are your best call when you need to bust some necromancers or warlocks.

>The race with the highest resistance to magic having anti-mages is retarded.

Sure, from a gameplay standpoint, but the Breton you get is very likely to be a make himself.

>stats are more important than culture

>mages cant kill mages
cmon now

do all warriors like eachother because they're warriors?

The importance of magic would be a very good reason FOR anti-mages.

Also, the cultural thing is actually fairly unfounded. From what we can gather, the skill bonuses for Bretons are innate, and not a cultural thing.

"Passionate and eccentric, poetic and flamboyant, intelligent and willful, the Bretons feel an inborn, instinctive bond with the mercurial forces of magic and the supernatural."

Bretons are also very famous for knights, adventurers, and paladins. That with a magicka resistance makes for a good anti-mage.

Also, there is nothing saying you can't be an Anti-mage who uses magic. In fact, in most games, anti mages use magic debuffs.

>50% resistance to magicka.
>Dragon Skin - Shield Shield 50pts for 60sec on Self
>Being an anti-mage is retarded.
I can get why you'd rather play a Nord for the elemental resistance, or an Orc for the 25% magicka resistance, especially since they make better warriors, but at this point you're just being obtuse on purpose.

a Breton warrior under the Atronach sign is a mage's worst nightmare. They make excellent spellswords

Will OpenMW automatically pick up my saves and mods?

I only use unofficial patches and a magicka regen mod

Threadly reminder that Valenwood and Elsweyr is rightful Cyrodiilic clay.

>Redguards get a bonus to Destruction and Archery.
>Nords and Bretons get a bonus to speech, but Imperials don't.
>Imperials are the best healers.
>Bretons don't have a bonus to magicka, just a bit smaller than Altmer's.
>Khajiit's Night eye and Argonian's Water Breathing are useless.
>Dragonskin absorbs magicka now, and the 50% resistance is now 25%.
>Nords have a fear ability that quickly becomes useless, instead of Woad.
>Orcs have no resistance to magicka, and get a bonus to enchanting.

I wonder what the next game will mess up.

Yes, but Colovia is also rightful Nordic clay.

I thought we covered this already. Bosmer tree cities that either do not move, or move way too fast and clip through the undergrowth, making the havok engine spazz out and items fly everywhere. Or my personal favourite, removal of alteration and restoration magic.

All of Tamriel rightfully belongs to The Empire, citizen.

Altmer claim to be of divine descent, but doesn't the same go for all human races aswell because they're Ehlnofey?

Or did I get my lore all mixed up?

I meant in terms of races, but yeah, that's a fair assessment.

Are you implying alteration and restoration will be removed or are you the kind of person that hasn't even played Skyrim and thinks alteration and restoration were removed?

Yes and no. Altmer are more pure, and claim to more like the Aldmer than other elves, and claim the Aldmer are more like the Ehlnofey, I believe.