Nechronica

It's been a long time since the last Nechronica thread. Let's change that!
Share your stories! Share your characters!

Obligatory explanation:
Nechronica is a game where you play as undead 'dolls' in the aftermath of an apocalypse. Undead and mutants roam the earth in search of something to eat. Necromancers pulls the strings while you try to make the best of the situation.

In Nechronica's combat system you lose and gain limbs and weapons as you're a doll that can be pieced back together when broken. Fight against insanity by interacting with your companions or become crippled by your madness.

Links:

>Translation wiki that will be back up again eventually.
tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Nechronica

>Introduction comic
nechronica.com/comics.html

>Psychadelic supplement comic
imgur.com/a/iK0Xs

>Old threads
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=nechronica

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iK0Xs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Guro: The Arpegee:ening, eh? Sounds interesting.

Ah, Nechronica how I love you.
Are there any games going on at the moment? I've been really wanting to play this for a while, but cannot find a group for it where I would actually get to be a player.

Such is the suffering of being the only one I know who has any clue what Nechronica is.....

I'd probably be able to run a game online if I have the time for it. Won't know until sometime in august but I'd be happy to try. What time zone are you in? I'm in UTC+2.

I'm in the UK, so GMT/UTC+0 for me.

I'll give you my email when I'm at a computer and we'll see if we can get a group together.

What happened to the guy updating the pdf translation?

Did he die?

Couldn't log in to the email I wanted so I'm giving you an old one instead. [email protected]

Send me your skype and I'll add you. Let's see if we can play sometime.

I heard about this one when someone suggested it for a pseudo-Dark Souls-esque campaign (desolate-apocalyptic, has a sanity/humanity mechanic, player characters are undead, etc.). I looked it up and thought it sounded interesting.

Is it decent? Do many people play it? I'd be interested to hear more about it.

>Is it decent?
It's a system I'm really fond of, so I would say yes. I really enjoy both the flavour and mechanics in it and wish the only game I've managed to get for it didn't fall apart for various reasons.

Eh, I remember waiting for years the complete translation.
But then tragedy knocked at my door: reading it I realized I was too insensible and munchkin to play it decently. jeez

Hey, sent you my Skype. Also, your email gives me the impression that Patchy finally got a connection into the library, so good for you.

Have there been any updates? Finding people for lewd Nechronica is hard.

There have been several books put out since then. They all sell out immediately however, have no digital versions, and you are not going to find scans, much less translations.

I believe those other books, aside from the one expansion with the Psychedelic class, have been artbooks and the like, rather than additional game rules.

I've been interested in this since I first saw it, where to go online to play (and learn) it?

Undead lewd?

Delicious loli body horror lesbians.

Yum.

The OP has a link to the wiki that has the translation. It's not entirely complete, but the actual rules are translated (what's missing is full description for some fluff tables, and the GM section with more details on how to create stats for monsters).

Creepy girls make the best lesbians.

The wiki is just a bad gateway for me

>UTC+2

So Nechronica is played in the third world? Got it. Is an Adidas track suit required?

Russia and Belarus are GMT+3, and you are a faggot

I bet you're an Afrikaner

Cute, not creepy

You say that as though they were mutually exclusive

I found this after a bit of digging

I can't remember where my properly creepy-cute stuff is so I had to make due with that image that falls more on the cute side of things.

I'm way off your time zones(UTC-8, jesus) but I may be able to join.

Yes, creepy lesbians and creepy dudes and guro and tentacles and monsters and-

Anyway. Has the wiki stopped translating then?

The site's down today but it'll be up again in a couple of days

So, an user pointed out that there was an error in the existing character sheet, so I fixed it.
So here, have new pdfs of the Character Sheet and battlemap

>I will never play Nechronica
It hurts

what is your timezone? Me and another user are trying to put a game together, so email them and we'll see what we can do

What if I want to make a shota instead of a loli?

The Boy mutation exists, or your GM may not even give a fuck and just rename the part while anyone gets to make a boy if they so wish. It's not usually very contentious.

Fuck year zombie lolis

Gmt+10 ;_;
There was even a JTTRPG discord where I had a chance of finding a game, but I logged in one day to find I was no longer a member

Nechronica may be a game about dead children, but try not to kill the threads too.

The threads were already dead. Stillborn babies raised by necromancy for but mere moments.

Bump, 'cause I'm interested in hearing maybe a little more discussion on this one.

There was a burst of activity on the wiki recently as Anemone posted the full Fragments of Memory table and added most, if not all, of the enemy exclusive parts. It seems like updates come in short bursts every now and then.

Is she wearing some kind of white tights under her stockings, or is that her crotch?

It's Nechronica art, so definitely her crotch.

So... Should I talk about the time we buried a savant "alive"?

This actually seems really cool, it's just that sadly the lolicon aspect doesn't gel with most people.

I'll post again later, I'm quite intrigued by this.

I'm aware. Hence, why I was asking if more was done.

I'm particularly interested in the enemy only parts section of Psychedelic, due to the metaphysical aspects I included in my games of Nechronica to augment the fairytale ideas.

Do tell.

No storytime?

So what even is this game? All I've heard is that it's done by the maid rpg people...also it's it fun?

Basically, the world is dead and has been for a long time. The only things left are the immortal necromancers who keep themselves busy by making undead. Among these are 'dolls'; intelligent undead made in the shape of girls that the necromancers play with in a half-forgotten imitation of children playing.

These dolls are made of patchwork corpses, often hideously mutated and with military hardware woven in as spare parts, but most importantly they possess a soul and bits of memory from their lives before the world died.

The goal of the game is to play as these dolls, survive the corpse-ridden wastes of the world and reclaim whatever traces of your lost life is left before you lose what little you have and go mad. Sanity is measured in your bonds with each other, and as those bonds become more strained, your grip on the world loosens. In addition, damage is tied to your body parts, which as you fight are torn off and blown up, forcing you to feed opun and harvest your foes to keep yourselves intact enough to function, for even if you lose your body, you won't die.

Basically, think a loli-zombie game made by the guy who did Maid that due to it's setting can range from a charming slice-of-life kind of thing, like say, Azumanga but with zombies or be shockingly similar to Dark Souls (2 in particular), where the players are doomed to slowly become empty shells.

>Psychadelic supplement comic
>imgur.com/a/iK0Xs

Oh wow, it really is just like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Glad I wasn't too far off base with that interpretation.

Loli Dark Souls

on the other hand, what if i want to play a character with the soul of an undead loli, but doesn't look like one? Would that be covered under the Cyborg option, or is that too far off, specifically i kinda want to go Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit crossed with AC: For Answer because...... reasons like speed

>loliguro:the tabletop game
fucking why
what's the point of making a game specifically for pedophiles and gore enthusiasts when those are absolutely the least socially competent people out there

also, UTC -6 here, interested so i'll toss you an email

>People who enjoy an aesthetic are now sexually attracted to it.

Probably not unless the Necromancer has a fetish for that.

Besides, zombie-lolis can be fast too.

The best answer, in general, is to ask your GM. However, such a character design could disrupt the game thematically. If you look at most character art for this game, you'll see they look, to some degree, human. Going full mecha like in your image definitely lacks that humanity.

fair enough i guess, the game really is centered around the concept that it's little girls in body horror hell, basically like madoka/bokurano meets parasyte

FILTHY PARTIAL 'BORG UNTERMENSCHEN FOILING MY PLOTS AGAIN

Fuck me i'm in utc-6 but would love to try for this. I'll shoot you an email when I can.

Does the game "break" / "Not work as well" if your PCs are non-loli, or just regular undead dudes?

Because so far I think that's the only thing that really stops me from playing this with my playgroup, it's a really interesting system and I love the madness mechanic.

Also, there's a good thread on /d/ (bear with me) for character art. Go into catalog and search "Creepy" and you'll find a few good references.

If you mean the aesthetic? I don't think so, but a big part of the game is definitely "how does the mind of a child react to this twisted, smashed up world?" So you don't necessarily need to have PCs with the bodies of children, but without the minds/souls of it loses a lot of its character

I was thinking about this except swapping zombies in general for robots/cyborgs with a soul trapped inside. My playgroup only plays 3.5 and pathfinder so I'm trying to get them to try something different for a change

Well, I guess that really does make a difference, the psychological effects of fucked up shit happening to an undead kid isn't really the same compared to a teen or adult.

But I mean, you can play as a boy right? Because masculinity issues, muh power, etc etc.

Having characters be boys doesn't really do much to it and it might smooth some of the qualms have with it because really, it's less "You're playing as children" and more "You're playing as a loli" that gets people concerned.

Yeah, and really when the said child I did also include teenager into that because you really aren't anywhere near emotionally mature until your mid-late 20s to be honest. And yes there is an option to be male

Sounds like my kinda game, what timezone, or are you all local lucky bawstard

>Compared to a teen

The age range is 8-17, so the game lets you play as a teenager just fine.

Technically nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you play as a loli zombie.

But I will laugh at you for being a silly normalfag if you don't play as a loli zombie.

I'm in nor cal so... Pacific standard?

Yeah, but it's easier to walk a hesitant person into it if you let them sidestep that at first, then ease them into the idea

central standard, although i'd probably break everything with my Fromsoft speed obsession as seen here

Speaking of which can you overboost? Or use blood as some sort of propulsion?

Boost, Hopper, and Rocket Pack could be fluffed that way.

i think jet nozzles are a thing in the rulebook, so it's potentially possible

also, if you don't want it to be quite so desolate, i think you can fluff it to be maybe there's some kind of continuous threat that is the reason the golems are built

Jet Nozzle just lets you damage a part to do an additional

I like this, also you can refluff it so instead of necromancers they can be different magic schools/mega corporations with battle golems/robots/cyborgs

I've had an idea for this for a while actually, but i've never had a chance to use it because i'm a shit GM, so i'd rather not be the one in that seat, but here it goes

Civilization maybe a bit more advanced than our own discovers that magic in fact exists. Eventually this somehow leads to war, militarized magic is heavily involved causing unbelieveable devastation, especially as it goes nuclear.
Unfortunately throwing that much magic around happens to be a bit like blood in the water, and ends up attracting some really nasty beasties into their world. Think the Akrid from Lost Planet in appearance

Tl;dr - most survivors now live in mobile fortresses, producing golems as a weapon to keep them back

and of course, said golems are animated by the souls of children, often ones who were killed by said beasties

Blood nozzle makes sense. Scary amounts of sense.

It's just my opinion, but I feel like shifting the protagonists from zombie girls to adults, dudes, or robots does skew the themes pretty hard.

Sisterhood is a different kind of relationship than others. The innocence of youth provides a strong contrast against the bleak surroundings and the bloody massacre.

But, hey, if you're the kind of person who'd use Deathwatch to run an Ork campaign, there's no RPG Gestapo that's going to kick down your door and send your group to the salt mines.

Which is why I thought the 'Dolores' route was a useful compromise, sure they may have the full on mecha/monster/etc appearance, but the minds/souls of children, if nothing else it lets you assuage the group's fear that this is just gonna go full magical realm

I want Necromancy Core to be a thing now, goddamn that's metal.

>Armored Core except instead of mechs you've got zombielolis
>mfw

Yeah, you could probably run Nechronica like that pretty easily.

That reminds me of a scene in Tokyo Gore police where this guy uses drugs to use super high pressure blood to fly from the stumps of his legs.

Reading through the rulebook I had a good laugh at the Baroque class. I'm pretty sure it's partly a reference to this obscure Sega Saturn/Wii/PS2 game I bought years ago of the same name.

I've read two sample campaigns of Nechronica now that actually sounded decent, but I've never seriously attempted to take a campaign off the ground because:

a) It's creepy as fuck yo. Not in the 'duh, it's gothic horror in a desolate waste' more in the 'future child molester detected' sense. I think I can negotiate my way past this if it weren't for:

b) I cannot actually think of a *plot* that would suit Nechronica and would be well, really excellent. I keep hovering around this idea that the necromancers are aliens that came to study the undead (Specifically, to figure out how to break their wills), and killed off humanity so they'd have the test samples necessary to do so. But I cannot think of a PC level implementation of any of this shit that would actually be engrossing. Consider that Nechronica only *barely* has out of combat mechanics, and even ignoring that, the PCs themselves are not in an information rich environment. There's very few choices they can make, or things that they can do, which will allow them to influence what they find out about the world.

You don't really need an excellent plot to have a great campaign and to make the PCs more engrossed in the world you could use Savants. They make for excellent exposition and they are great for character interaction and development. They make the game less about killing everything that tries to kill you and slightly more about finding out what's going on. Savants even make more choices as they often have their own reason for being as they are and can be influenced by the PCs. It's entirely possible to become friends with a Savant.

Why not have them find old logs from before or messages from the Necromancers/Savants/others? Why not make them stumble upon facilities that can change what the world is? Why not make them find the last surviving humans?

I'm sorry but I just feel like there's so much to do with Nechronica that it feels weird for me to hear someone say the opposite.

RN please don't read the spoilered parts.

I've been running a campaign in Nechronica for almost a year now and they've pretty much fucked up everything. By choice I'd say.

In this setting Necromancers are 'people' who have managed to create un/life. The players' own Necromancer, alice, was a doll who managed to figure out how to create more dolls. And their Necromancer had a rival, MARIA, who was pretty much the same. They waged war against each other for fun. MARIA building an entire underground complex dedicated to housing her army of cyborgs and forwarding her research into cybernetics while alice focused on small but effective groups of dolls. The players are one of these groups. Since we started they have managed to completely destroy MARIA's base, MARIA herself, their own Necromancer alice, and many many more. They've destroyed their single source of favor, their kill count is over 700 right now, all because they didn't like the idea of taking orders from someone.

They've met and talked with many other dolls during this rampage and they've even made some friends two of them. They and the PCs should be the only ones left in the area by now as the PCs have pretty much killed off everything else. But there is something else lurking where eyes can't see.

Oh I definitely am betting on the notion that Savants would be a necessity to keep things rolling and make it feel like something other than a killfest. And I realise that at first glance Nechronica SEEMS to offer so many options. Like, I've read a few tidbits that put the sample campaign to shame, giant undead sandworms and pogroms organised against the same, etc.

But in terms of thinking about how I could actually implement any cool shit in a way that doesn't feel like the railroad to end all railroads seems difficult with respect to Nechronica.

The PCs, while they have personality, and fragments of memory, don't actually have identifiable obligations or connections to anyone outside the party except those that they forge during play (Which means you need to both provide a person who would like the PCs and have the PCs like them too), and none of their abilities are well suited to granularising out of combat play. Like, conversation checks are the only thing basically.

I should point out how many of the small things contribute to it being difficult to have the PCs interact with stuff by necessity. They don't even need to eat, for example.

Not to mention that basically *any* Nechronica setting is by necessity immensely surreal to an extent that will be beyond a lot of player's abilities to identify with.

's notion of war as a game or farce is a pretty common one from what I've seen because its one of the only plot element that really slickly ties into the specific way Nechronica handles combat and combat vs. out of combat. And it definitely sets up a turning point in the plot where the PCs inevitably 'take charge of their own destiny', or at least feel like they are doing so.

A summary I probably should have included in this post is that the very process of roleplaying a doll is severely unintuitive. As a notional 'default', at chargen:

- You have around a half dozen memories that aren't literally, or related to, you stabbing/shooting zombies/shoggoths for months at a time
- You have a human child-like personality, but without a significant number of memories of formative experience that would lead to the one you have. Hell, despite having spent the last few months stabbing demons and zombies. This is actually one of the most baffling issues to negotiate IMO, if you actually think carefully.
I realise that some doll types like Automaton allude to this, but even the most military minded, tabula rasa style dolls in the book are still presented as having child-like tendencies and an appreciable amount of emotional vulnerability.
- You are a streamlined, by design, killing machine. Like, not incidentally, it is very difficult to make a character who doesn't at first glance look like someone went out of their way to build them as a better murderer than a mere human corpse. This also means that fully half of your party would cause anyone with mortal human socialisation to pee themselves and wail in fear.
- You probably don't know anyone outside the party who is still a sapient being, except maybe the necromancer. Like, if you have a pet you're quite a rare case. If you have a pet that isn't some barely identifiable undead mockery of the original animal you are already verging on CAMPAIGN DEFINING.

Or you could just change some stuff. You don't need to follow the default setting 100%. You could make it so that they have to eat. You can make the world populated by settlements and such. You could just not make the world empty. My settings usually have more Savants than Horrors just because it's more fun to make some small talk before everyone starts trying to kill each other than not. My players have even managed to avoid killing all Savants just because of that small talk. Sometimes they even fought for a while until they realized that they didn't really want to kill each other.

I agree that most characters will be killing machines but that doesn't mean that their personality agrees with their bodies. You could also re-fluff parts or even add new parts and skills.

RN here, have not read the spoiler tags so I might be repeating some cleverness that my GM already mentioned but:

Basically, the way I approached it as a player is to take the outlandish premise and run with it. RN is extremely curious about everything and wants to figure out what's going on. She is a killing machine but she doesn't really see herself that way. She acts mostly on what her guts tells her. And I, being the one who decides what her gut tells her, has her basically try to do good things and but using the only tool she has, ie violence. She disliked MARIA for playing with others lives but fixed it by killing her.
She's only innocent in the sense that she doesn't really consider that violence might actually be bad when -she- does it. And she is pretty convinced she never started any fights (which uh... is up for debate.)
She's basically been shaped from this idea of someone who doesn't really know anything about themselves who is in this dangerous place they don't know anything about and is trying to resolve all of those things.
We're railroaded only in the sense that there are at any one point in time like three or four places at most (though towards the end of the first act of this campaign we ended up only really being able to think of one for a few sessions in a row) that we know actually exist and could find a reason to go to. But we've been given the freedom to pick where we go around in this wasteland ourselves every step of the way and initially there was an exploration bit where we just roamed around trying to find something to do. We found our Necromancer who we immediately found ourselves disliking. She told us to go to a place, we decided to go exploring in a different place, the stuff we found ended up tying together with the other place and we ended up going there and explicitly did none of what she wanted anyway.
So we don't do anything the GM wants us to do. And he's told me he's having as fun as we are.
Contd.

continued from Now again, I haven't read the spoiler tags (and thus also would appreciate if you don't reveal what's behind them in any replies to me) but my speculation (which I have told the GM too) is that we've basically ruined all his plans. The more we find out the more it seems like the idea was that we would either do what our Necromancer wanted (which he probably predicted we wouldn't) or that we would switch to MARIA, the other necromancer, and have her be our source of favor instead (which he probably predicted RN wouldn't) and what we ended up doing was blowing everything up, killing everyone (we found that basically even the most sympathetic of NPCs were kinda assholes anyway because everyone is an asshole in this setting because it's Nechronica) and generally ruining any kind of interaction he's ever planned for us. Probably. Looking back at it one of our first combat encounters involved an NPC that was running for her life and teh other player in the party used an AoE attack that accidentally killed her. And that NPC seems to have been intended to be a hook to get us onto MARIA's team. Maybe.

I think what I'm getting at with this huge mess is that if the players embrace the chaotic, violent (and actually also pretty silly, we have lots of laughs in our sessions) nature of the system and the GM sets up a world where there is a plot with multiple hooks for the players to join in then even if the players choose to just screw all of it up then everyone's still going to have a good time.

This became kind of a mess. But basically I'm trying to convey some idea of how at least I approached making and playing a character in this system. And also how the GM's attempts at giving us a plot to follow have worked.

We're all having great fun so I think it's working. We are also not all just going around being sadistic, mindless killing machines.

The point I made about killing machines wasn't a point about the PCs being obligatory murderhobos. They aren't. In fact, despite their horrific appearances they have the drives of *children* so it isn't like they're setting out to sadistically murder shit. But more the point was that the... not insubstantial amount of humanity they have is very much at odds with both their experiences (That they can recall), and the bodies that they have 'grown up' in. I feel like if I set 5 players to the task of negotiating this divide, I'm going to get AT LEAST one dud.

Furthermore, it's a little difficult to figure out sticks to dangle in front of dolls. Their bond of sisterhood with each other is literally entirely forged to satisfy their one reliable need, which is company to stave off loneliness and provide emotional support. Parts can run short, but where there's things that lose you parts, there's things that gain you parts. What is the end goal of a doll? An amnesiac character in almost any RPG is going to have, high up their list of priorities, restoring their memories, and helping the people who've been companions in the time that they remember. This is fine when you have one in a party.

When the entire party are all in this situation, this severely reduces the leads that they can come up with on their memories for starters (and given Nechronica's crapsack world of a setting, recovering their memories is unlikely to result in any tangible gains for them apart from self-assurance and emotional confidence). And the other half heavily encourages them all to have a diehard loyalty to the party, which is good, but to such an extent that any agency outside the party is honestly just going to be automatically seen as being in the way by someone and eventually cut off or eliminated so that the party can be free to do... things. Which seems to be the path RN's group has gone down.

>You have around a half dozen memories that aren't literally, or related to, you stabbing/shooting zombies/shoggoths for months at a time

That's actually part of the fun. You know how kids come up with weird shit when they don't know how something works? Apply that to almost everything they don't have memories of. It can get pretty silly and is a good source of humor in the game. Though most GM's let you assume to have some knowledge of things so you know how to add numbers and shit like that. It's just personally identifiable information like who your parents are and such that is always gonna be forgotten.

>Furthermore, it's a little difficult to figure out sticks to dangle in front of dolls.
For the players, Karma (which grants favor) and the potential of memory fragments. In character? Find something, there's one group who has a thing where they found a living human and they're trying to keep it alive. Figuring out sticks to dangle in front of uncooperative PCs is not really a problem that's unique to this game. You're really blowing these issues out of proportion.