EDH/Commander General

Basic Lands Edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/UQPs0HmP
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-07-16-manifest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kickoff survey
>what is your favorite basic land?
>what percentage of your multicolor landbase is basics?
>favorite nonbasic hate?

Screw basic lands. I play 3 color with no basics

Picture related is my favorite island. I checked on my naya deck and the land base is right at 50% basics with 16 out of 33 being basic. Shivan Harvest is my favorite nonbasic hate.

Ruination is hilarious given how many people run crazy landbases

on the topic of lands, who else thinks this card is a crazy good ramp card

>Ruination is hilarious given how many people run landbases that are adaptable and won't get stuffed with one or two types of mana
FTFY Faggoooo

im sorry you can't properly find a good balance of basic and non-basic lands in your decks

Probably not the same person, but has a point. The biggest thing to remember, though?

It depends on your meta

Here's my meme-list, Gren-Zada is actually pretty fun

I like the khans cycle basics, the way they changed the images in subtle ways as the timeline was changed

And the forests and swamps in foil are sexy

Angry Omnath loves that card. Bolt your opponent from saccing one elemental, then get two more tokens off of the lands.

Also really good in Meren and Mazirek.

I have the green white Lorwyn panorama basics in my most complete deck, captain sisay, I love them

I also have some matching 9th edition white border islands in my Azami deck, I unironically love the white border, but I would run them just for the art too, although lately I've seen some other old school islands I might like even more

I have 2 tricolor decks and they are around 50% basic

Fave nonbasic land hate is wasteland

For Ruination I have counterspells and faith's reward/second sunrise. Back to basics is easily handled as well. Maybe if everybody played those at the same time but if it's only one player it doesn't bother me much

does alesha actually work in multiplayer outside "funny" combos like reveillark + karmic guide + goblin bombardment that just instantly end the game?

i'm trying very hard to build this commander around some synergy, reanimation and control but it seems like free-for-all EDH is just so fucking random that i get run over by the typical "yeah ok just throw the entire board state into the fucking exile zone and let's start over"

should i keep at it and try to make alesha work? i know she's not bad but god damn i do not want to be the guy who plays infinite damage combos

maybe it's time to give up and make a voltron or something. can someone recommend me a commander that works well for straightforward and powerful but fair edh stuff? i like all colors except blue, but i love red the most probably

not really sure what you're talking about

be more specific, what exactly has been stopping you from winning?

>Playing Liliana
>Have Brutal Exarch and Grim Haruspex
>one opponent drops Necropotence
>fuck me
>second opponent has no removal
>fuck
>draws 20 cards
>fuck
>second opponent still has no removal
>plays some creatures
>passes
>hold on
>end of combat
>Wake the Dead for 3
>Liliana, Zalaport Cutthroat, and Sidisi
>wtf do I have to deal with this
>sac Sidisi to exploit
>flip Lili and draw a card
>Draw Phyrexian Plaguelord
>oh shit we got this
>Tutor my card
>Sac Cutthroat to Wake, draw, and end
>my turn
>Drop Plaguelord
>Drop motha fuckin Mindsclicer
>Sac that shit
>my fucking face when Opponent exiles 24 cards cause of Necropotence

i've only been playing around with her a little bit so i can't say for sure, but my wincon with the commander is kind of vague. i've mostly just put in card draw, reanimation, and removal, both in creature form and instant/sorcery form. i did pretty good in a 1v1 but FFA just seems like such a clusterfuck that i can't really do but slow others down. i don't really have anything that just straight up says "ok you guys are fucked" besides a couple of really big hitters (that granted, if not get exiled, will immediately come back to board if i have alesha or some other reanimation thing)

i'm pretty new to the EDH in general so it's hard for me to judge if my deck is really that bad for it.

i'll probably try to get a few more games in before doing some stuff. i'm using a proxy deck atm to test the thing out

here's the full decklist if you think you can unfuck my shit

pastebin.com/UQPs0HmP

it's fun to play when it works but idk if it's good

i think i know what you mean

alesha isnt really about heavy hitting its about lots of incremental advantage

i mean it sounds like you put the right things in your deck actually, since you dont want to play infinite combos, the only way you can win is by preventing your opponents from winning, so you need all the card draw and removal that you can get

alesha is definitely better 1v1 than multiplayer though, thats true of all fair decks that win by aggressive creature combat, no way to escape the fact that you have multiple people each with 40 life to kill

if you're going to win with a thousand cuts then you need to be prioritizing stopping your opponents

Mindslicer meme plz go
Nobody wants your artificially spiked speculation

I had one long before the inflation from the dollar bin. I don't even know why it spiked.

Blade of selves on master of cruelties, just saying

Not you again. Fuck off. You ignored any decent advice in the last thread and shitted it up by generating a proxy vs non proxy argument.

Buy a precon and check mtggoldfish for budget upgrades if $8 is too much for a Reveillark, then fuck off out of these threads forever.

play Zada, Hedron Grinder and Arcbound
that way, if you end the game with damage, everyone dies

list doesnt look too far off

slowly replace some of your low impact cards like goblin fire fiend/wall of blood, nighthowler, palace siege, trading post etc with more removal recursion and card draw that you're missing like shriekmaw, ingot chewer, wispmare, reveillark (i know you said you didnt want to combo but reveillark is too good not to have in a deck revolving around 2 power creatures)

So I want to get into commander, but I'm scared by the price tag associated with it at my shop. Just looking at the average EDH player here decks seem to be around $700-$1,400. How can I even hope to play without dropping car payments on a deck?

It it was still legal I'd pack a thousand of those. Because fuck the business model of land pricing.

700$ is grossly, grossly inflated. If you want the best land, the best artifacts, the best creatures, and maybe foil them out sure, but you can easily build a fun, competitive deck for around 200. My Zada and Newzuri combined were like 250 and they're both pretty good.

The trick is to find a playgroup who DON'T have that much invested in decks so you can have fun without either investing way too much or getting stomped.

>average EDH player here

here meaning your shop right? not meaning these edh generals?

cuz on these generals, the average seems to be $150-$400, which isnt nothing but, its a lot cheaper than $700-$1400

the thing about edh is, your deck's price is going to be super top heavy, the more expensive it is, the more top heavy it will be

when a deck costs more than $400-$500, half the price is locked up in special cards like ABUR dual lands, force of wills, mana crypts, etc

you can make a perfectly viable deck that can compete with them without any cards that cost more than $20-$30, and it will limit your options heavily, but you can go even lower than that and build a competitive budget deck if thats what you want

by and large you should be able to make any commander in the top 3 tiers viable for $200

I have a question to tack on here:
>Do you theme your basics to your deck in any way?

But as for yours:
I have a fondness for the simple core set lands. Many of them just look like happy places I would like to hike to.

Minimum 15 (out of 35 lands + 8 accelerants) basics in even my greediest deck. I refuse to die to price of progress/back to basics

Price of progress. Sometimes you just dome everyone out of the game.

>goblin fire fiend
i thought that would be good for killing squishy shrouded/hexproof stuff (ie. every commander ever). i suppose its a bit situational and requires red mana, which isn't that good in a 3 color deck

but yeah i'll probably pick up the reveillark since it's so good and get rid of the palace siege

Those players might also have weaker decks, not saying that they'll use them, but if they roflstomp you continually you probably don't want to play with them anyway

Most high-cost cards in commander aren't required for the deck to operate, they're usually quality of life things that improve consistency like dual lands and such. Some commanders are more expensive to build than others, too.

>choose your color(s) and playstyle
>choose a commander that matches above
>find a precon that matches the commander
>buy your commander
You now have a commander deck for less than $50, what you add to it is upto you

i get where you're coming from now with the goblin fire-fiend (didnt understand when i read the list), but i definitely think its still not a good choice because that plan only works if they have no other creatures, they only have to block, not each creature

but anyway yeah i thik you have the right idea, just keep updating it with better replacements here and there, you have some good creatures to recursively etb and destroy something, i recommend more, (i guess im repeating myself, but yeah, you get the idea)

>what is your favorite basic land?
I don't really play Green but I love the John Avon Forest from Invasion. It's so serene and eerie. I also love this Mountain, it's super comfy.
>what percentage of your multicolor landbase is basics?
I don't have any multicolored decks right now.
>favorite nonbasic hate?
Price of Progress. Absolutely fucks greedy mana bases without drawing the salt that comes with MLD, I've won games with Price of Progress before.

I try to theme my lands. I'm currently switching my basics in my Krenko deck from one of each pre-modern mountain to only mountains showing the goblin burrows from onslaught

I need to stop building with red, fuck

Help me Veeky Forums, I want to go for a toolboxy/aggro-style commander, who would be good?

The 2013 precon evasive maneuvers is prety decent you get 3 good bant commanders (derevi, roon and rubinia) and you get a bunch of staples like sol ring, signets, boots, command tower ect

The precons are really not that bad if you are just starting and cheap

You have no green, green is good for toolbox, it has a lot of creature tutors

"I only get to play one game before my group kicks me out": The Post

>At LGS waiting for EDH night to start
>Start talking to some kid who was waiting for his friend to finish trading
>He mentions he loves eldrazi and had an Arlinn from a prerelease yesterday.
>Ask him how long he's been playing
>"About a week and a half"
>Coaxed him into trading me an Arlinn Kord for a Coax from the blind eternities and a bulk rare.
Is it usually this easy to Jew someone in a magic trade?

Kazuul looks like my Zo-Zu deck, it got retired because of salt too. Every game would be 1v3 from the get go

Good point. Would Yisan be a good choice? I love tutoring shit from my library, hence Zirilan and Godo, but Godo is SUPER fucking linear. Strong and fun, but linear. First time he hits it's always Blade of Selves

I'd try Mayael but I'm really trying to stay away from red and try something different

>grossly inflated

You mean you are to poor to put money into your decks?

Do you still have your Kazuul list?
I'm trying to build mono-red control with him, but I'm not sure exactly what to put in him.

Kazuul was very mean. Some of those cards made their way into Godo but MLD is a much smaller sub-theme than it was in Kazuul.

Don't choke on that salt

Yes
I used to trade craw wurms for dual lands in revised because "lol its only a land you get like 30 lands each starter but look at this huge green fucker" harder now that sets have different rarity symbols but yeah kids are usually pretty trustworth with adults playing their game

>Most people in my play group have been playing MTG for 2 years
>I've been playing since Mirrodin
>Intentionally neuter my Decks because I don't want to just crush people all the time
>They find out and tell me to make my deck the best I can
>I do
>I crush them with ease
>Complain my decks are too gay
>mfw

yisan is powerful, i personally like him a lot, if you run a large creature count he wont get stale either (because you'll always have multiple options at each cmc) which is a complaint ive heard about yisan

1: its no different than finding a wallet with cash. Take the cash and hand in the wallet.

2: Moral fags here will tell you that your an asshole. While you are, they are to. They would steal an arlinn some other way to save face.

3: There's a good chance they will both be 5 dollars by the end of next year.

>Zirilan of the Claw
>Gwafa Hazid
clearly a man of taste

I just enjoy playing more than one game and not getting hated out of groups.

I would totally steal an Arlinn kord

But only from an LGS or vendor of some kind that could easily sustain the loss like its nothing

Morality is kinda whatever, people (including me) ignore it when it's convenient, but I personally don't like to fuck with new players, because it's my in interests for them to have a good experience and build a collection they're excited about

I don't but I can tell you that you will never see anyone get as mad as when you have a Grand Melee and Heat Stroke out

>Papa Godo
>Zirilan
>Odric

I like your style

Build some Golgari, Glissa lets you pull stuff from the yard. Or Sydri, since you seem to like artifacts

Ive been trading kids useless jank all weekend for their eldritch evolutions, im down a whole bunch of bfz/oath bulk rares and up 23 evolutions, wew lad

You mind taking a look at my list and giving me an idea if I'm too off base, or if it won't work?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/

>Been playing since Onslaught
>Friends only for the last year
>Play EDH
>all my friends make janky decks
>Always taunt me when they beat me saying I must really suck if I lost to new players
>mfw I'm finally going to put Nether Void, Yawgmoth's will, Damnation, Necropotance and other awesome black cards into my Korlash deck

They aren't going to be laughing soon

you know what really grinds my gears?

ive been begging them to reprint damnation for forever and even if they finally do, the planar chaos one with the GOAT border and white card name text will still be crazy expensive, and ill have to settle for some ugly bullshit with the m15 border, probably still pay an arm and a leg for it too

Didn't WOTC say they weren't going to reprint the polar opposite cards from the time spiral block?

>polar opposite cards

??

you mean the color-shifted cards?

they've already reprinted some

>on vacation on new York
>I'm from bumpkin patch Canada, only ever played at one flgs
>go to a big shop in the middle of downtown to play the pre-release
>go 3-1 and crack Gissa and Geralf, Tree of Perdition, that new Thalia, a wolf of devil's breach, a declaration in stone and assorted jank
I'm super excited. What should I build next? I have a rooftop storm kicking around, but stax could be fun too. They have basically every commander too, I could even buy something random.

did they?

Shitty move, but it's also the kid's fault if they don't realize how much their own cards can actually be worth. Usually someone will tell them and they'll still make shitty trades, I traded a fucking Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Vhati Il-dal, or whatever the fuck it is/was. And neither of those cards will likely hold any value so whatever.

Yes, Pongify and Brute Force are a couple of them

>Polar opposite
>Another boardwipe
>in white
Cant wait

Lord of Tresserhorn Zombie tribal.

here's a list of all the planeshifted cards that have been reprinted

Blood Knight (full art promo)
Brute Force
Calciderm
Essence Warden
Groundbreaker (Full art promo)
Harmonize
Mana Tithe (Full art promo)
Mesa Enchantress
Primal Plasma
Prodigal Pyromancer
Pyrohemia
Rathi Trapper
Reckless Wurm (Promo)
Skirk Shaman
Sunlance

Pongify is not a colorshifted card, you might be thinking of ovinize

How does red work in a zombie tribal? Not complaining, I just have never seen a red zombie that's not nekusar.

That's the one. I thought of Pongify first because blue doesn't get kill cards like that. Nor should it

Well there's also Thraximundar, but your point still stands.

You could always go light into red. It has a lot of looting effects and zombies play nice with grave shenanigans.

>pic related

It's more about flavor and using a really neat legend. Also, red gives you some good stuff, even as just a splash.

Sedris

That's actually an amazing idea. Wheel effects kick ass and I love tormenting voice. I think double strike grimgrin would be shenanigans. Thanks for giving me an awesome concept user, I was honestly expecting expensive troll jank answers.

Blue has gotten polymorph effects since 1995.

Polymorph was a mistake

Anyone have any nonobvious suggestions for Manifest.dec? I'm trying to do 5 color manifest and obviously, it is a mess.

I feel as though ways of looking at the top card of my library are very important as well as significant numbers of creatures, but at the same time, being a five color deck, it is hard to find the proper proportions.

In general, I want to keep the manifested cards a secret, so revealing the top card to everyone doesn't seem good.

So were you, but no one is whining about that.

No need to make it personal, user

>inb4 but i dont want to pay $23 for a card i want wheel effects for 50c or less
>inb4 ill just proxy it
>in b4 proxy vs non proxy shitstorm like every fucking goddamned mtg thread on tg

What do you have together so far? It sounds like it's going to be a rough road ahead of you; manifest is already a slightly awful mechanic.

I spend far too much on magic as it is playing limited. If I can't afford it, I don't play it. It's that simple. I thought there were legends worth hundreds of dollars but it looks like the winner is Angus Mackenzie, and 80 bucks isn't too bad.

>I'm trying to do 5 color manifest
Why? Is there even enough support for this?

no prob user

red also has some sac outlets in the form of goblin bombardment and shivan harvest

you just have to get a little creative and a theme starts to emerge

Currently, I have Ninjas (to bounce shitty Manifests), Vela because she makes manifest tokens unblockable, a buttload of creatures with combat damage abilities (because I figure it would be fun with manifest), a few top of library control (Mirri's Guile, for example).

I'm thinking of adding stuff like Crush of Tentacles (as unlike tokens, it creates card advantage with Manifests) and a lot a lot more generic five color good stuff. And maybe some colorless matters.

It is a mess right now and I half want to start from the ground up, but it is tough. Manifest is really fun for me though and the idea of any card being a morph is exciting, as flipping a Balefire Dragon or Mindleech Mass after blocks seems very funny to me.

Here's the current list, but I am not fond of it. Domri and Narset are new additions, but I kind of like them as a means of peeking at the top card as well as get some value.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-07-16-manifest/

So if I use eldritch invocation to sacrifice a token, I can fetch a creature with cmc 2 or less?

Because it is fun and I have the biggest boner for Ugin's Fate cards.

Normal tokens yes

Tokens that are copies of creatures will have the CMC of the creature that was copied.

>I have the biggest boner for Ugin's Fate cards

They look cool as hell. I don't care if you didn't like Fate Reforged, I thought it was a pretty cool bit of prerelease swag.

So I am going to be building a ghave deck but I have a feeling keeping track of all the tokens as well as all the +1/+1 counters going on to them is going to be a bit of a pain. Anyone have any tips on keeping track of all this or am I just going to need to print off a stack of saperlings and have a large mess of dice handy?

Nah, just get a dice cube and two tokens, one for tapped, the other for untapped, and you'll be fine.

basically this

though if you're playing ghave you're probably just going infinite anyway

>goto local hobby store
>buy dried fungus used in railwat modelling as bushes
>tear into 1/2 inch squares
>your tokens are actual fungus
>your saprolings are actual fungus
>be known as a fungi to play with

honestly things dont really get too crazy until magical christmas land scenarios start happening

specifically, cathar's crusade is annoying because each of your tokens can have a different number of +1/+1 counters

but other than that, its not too hard, you can pick up some saproling tokens, or you can just use empty sleeves, random face down cards from outside the game, etc to represent the saprolings

a lot of the time i just used pairs of dice, one counted the number of tokens, the other the p/t of that group of tokens

In my experience Alesha doesn't do anything amazing without combos. I have a pretty casual meta, with only a few boardwipes per game, and even then I could only win maybe 1 in 6 games or so (3-5 player games, not a great win rate). I hear Alesha stax works well (maybe not without combos), but toolbox really needs a way to end the game outside the red zone. As for exile boardwipes, they really aren't a problem as long as you run enough sac outlets. The real issue is gravehate, especially lasting effects like RIP, and I've had trouble with Containment Priest in the past, but that's probably because I don't run enough instant/sorcery removal. Seriously though, why are you so anti combo? As long as you're not trying to combo out consistently on turn 3-5, your opponents should be able to interact with you and either stop you or make you earn your win.

TL;DR To win you either man the fuck up and play combo, or man the fuck up and play stax. If your meta can't handle these strategies with out crying about it play something else.

It's finally time: post underrated cards that only you play