Introduce Antagonist of game

>Introduce Antagonist of game
>Stress the fact that he is an evil well connected sadist
>Commands Garrison PCs are stationed at
>PC decides to get drunk and raid his personal wine cellar
>Finds expensive bottle, steals it, and sells it
>Talks shit to the Commanders face while drunk
>Says he is Neutral Good
Ok, how as a GM do I not just have him murdered by NPCs for his transgressions?

Death would be too quick, the antagonist wants him to suffer.

>Ok, how as a GM do I not just have him murdered by NPCs for his transgressions?
Because he's a sadist, which means he's going to lock them up in his torture dungeon first. That means an opportunity for an escape plan.

I don't want to just ruin the game for him. Seems like a pretty big gimp to just leave him a bloody mess

Mostly what others have said.
Have him punished for it and not killed?
If you have the commander just absolutely humiliate the guy it's always good for knocking people down a couple pegs.

Make it a slightly botched assassination attempt that gives the PCs a chance to fight back or escape.

e.g the assassins hit the wrong room first and alert the party, or someone friendly to the party overhears them talking about the raid and warns the PCs.

If you want to continue the adventure have him throw them into a dungeon awaiting execution and give them a shot at escaping. Continue the campaign with the PCs as wanted criminals.

You're also gonna want to slide his alignment to at least CG.

>Ok, how as a GM do I not just have him murdered by NPCs for his transgressions?
A sadistic garrison commander doesn't necessarily want to kill people who transgress against him, even if it would make more sense just to execute the offender. Rather, he enjoys torturing these people and watching torture.

Pic very related.

You're meant to leave time for the other players to save him.

What system is this?

Another idea might be to have the commander go full Tokugawa on him, and use him as an instrument of torture on other victims. Because of the PC's brazenness/liveliness and in order to inflict mental torture on him. Good opportunity for RP.

>use him as an instrument of torture on other victims

How? Hit a motherfucker with another motherfucker?

Tell him to slowly drown a peasant in wine.

Maybe do something with the person he sold the expensive wine to? Like, have some guards drag him in one day for stealing from the commander, and then tortured to death for robbing a representative of the... country? Whatever they work for. Maybe have him stress throughout that an attack on him is an attack on the nation.

You think that's bad. I had a PC who advocated for the use of chemical weapons claim neutral good.

They weren't even in a circumstance where it was their last option or face destruction. He busted it out on bumpkin cultists.

It's worth remembering that, depending on your group and system, killing the PC might not be a bad idea. Or trying to kill him, anyway.

>50 lashes every three days for the next nine days
>Character suffers penalties for wounds which are slowly recovered just to be reset from the next set of lashes
>Player learns to both hate the antagonist and be careful when they fuck with the antagonist

Oh yeah, he really deserves. OP, if none of these suggestions seem like winners to you, bump off his character. Any time you can reasonably compare a PC's actions to slapping a grizzly bear, you are within your right, your duty as a GM to kill their character. If there are no consequences for their actions what is the point in playing?

There really isn't anything inherently evil about chemical weapons. Whether you kill someone with nerve gas or shoot him with a gun, he's still dead just the same.

The virtue or villainy of gassing someone depends solely on whether killing them was a righteous thing to do.

Pic related, surely? Have him flogged, give him a two or three week penalty while his back heals (maybe reduced carry capacity).

What system are you running? If it's D&D or any number of derivatives, it's just HP damage he'll come back from. But alternately, you don't have to have the villain actually succeed at going through with it. There can be an opportunity for an escape plan from where he's being held before anything actually brutal happens. Have him be walked past a stretcher, and giant water wheel with bloody spikes on it, with a harness for the victim above it, so he knows he needs to get out of here. Then lead him to somewhere he's to be secured for the time being, but have some small flaw, or makeshift tool within his ability to exploit, so he has the chance to get out of there.

Slide his alignment one step towards chaotic and evil, or one or the other. None of those acts are NG in a massive way.

The wine was poisoned with a very sadistic poison (use your imagination). That way anyone who drinks the wine without the commanders permission suffers, because they didn't also consume the antidote.

That person who was sold the wine to turns up. The commander accuses him of stealing the wine. He convinces the commander that he bought it. So they make a deal, the antidote in exchange for the identity of whoever sold him the wine.

The PCs learn this and also learn that the only reason they haven't been identified yet is that the person who drunk the wine needs to recover. Once he does, the garrison will be assembled and he will point out the PC who sold him the wine.

Now the PCs have a choice:
- Risk running away.
- Sneak in and kill the person who drunk the wine.
- Do nothing and hope he identifies someone else.

I find that castration is a very good way of telling a pc they fucked up badly, but still leave them in a condition there their character is mechanically capable

seems like the sort of thing a sadist would do, and course take care he doesn't actually bleed out

Publicly whipped while being made to confess his crimes.

No way, keep anything related to genitals out unless everyone is okay with it.

As a chemist I feel compelled to point out that devising a chemical weapon is a perversion of our craft. While Haber (the inventor of chemical weapons) argued the method of killing matters little, he was wrong to turn his brilliant mind from constructive to destructive ends.

as a fellow chemist I'd say as long as you manage to take care the weapon is not overly cruel and can be properly controlled it should weigh no heavier on once conscience than that steel manufacturer supplying an arms factory

the biggest issue with chemical weapons often is that they tend to cause death through fairly horrific and slow processes in addition to polluting the environment and being often supremely difficult to control especially the gaseous or aerosol type weapons

Cut out an eye.

And/or nose.

Apply permanent perspective and persuasion penalties.

As a faggot, I recognise my kind very easily, and you are most surely my brother, or else you would not think your thoughts mattered, you would understand that guns are effectively chemical weapons, and you would not be so spooked.

>and use him as an instrument of torture on other victims
Or he can punish the whole garrison. Because soldiers have to look after each other and when one man fails, it also means that everyone else failed to look after him.
Pic related.