/wip/ work in progress - painting sculpting ecy

Oh god I hope I'm doing this right edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eFFgbc5Vcbw.
youtu.be/uo-z1gqzJMA?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx&t=261
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Almost finished this chap. At some point I'll have to paint some infantry...

May your doots be dooty

>tfw thoroughly cleaned up work space for the first time in forever.

Feels nice, can't wait to trash it up again

Looking great, but what do Tau need infantry for?

Just always clean as you go and do a quick once over at the end of each session.
It's really that simple to keep an area clean.

I've painted 5 pathfinders and they look lonely with their friends still on the sprue.

At least they are more enjoyable to paint than the 35 drones I have sat on my desk.

Embrace the mess user.

My painting space cleared up once i bought an ikea shelf case thing to store models in. Helps with dust too

Just started to attempt to cast a few space marines.

Not sure how it will turn out since it's my first time trying.

Only got 1 Astartes without any arms sitting in a small plastic cup covered in silicone.

Will post pictures soon if anyone wants to laugh at my abilities.

>painting the insides of your tanks even once

This white thing

quality comment, thanks for coming out.

thanks for the (You) senpai, I really appreciate it, hope you give me some more (You)s in the future!

So i just finish doing the basic red for 30 SoB. The ones at the back are done red wise.

The little circles are me trying to figure which colour to use for the clothing.

hands make it look like some kind of gunpla.

post shields

Slapping my old ass bolters on homemade plastic SoB. This one is gonna be a superior for a regular squads, and since I just give them all bolters I felt I had to do something with them to made them stand out. The pointing ginger is from the SM Devastator kit.

I have a bad habbit of slapping models together before I clean up the parts.

loser alert

I christen thee Sister Tomoe.

Don't use white vallejo spray primer. It eats the plastic of Dream Forge.

I'm trying to save mines

Quit feeding it.

Noted, thanks for the advice.

Have the ones in the background been layed with a brighter red or is it just the light?

>Just started to attempt to cast a few space marines.
>Not sure how it will turn out since it's my first time trying.
>Only got 1 Astartes without any arms sitting in a small plastic cup covered in silicone.
>Will post pictures soon if anyone wants to laugh at my abilities.

Keep us posted, user. You doing metal or resin?

The ones one the back are basically:
Brown, Deathclaw Brown.
Dark Red, Wazdaka Red.
Light Red, Astorath Red.
Brown wash, Seraphim Sepia (Shade)
Orange, Troll Slayer Orange, quick and no angle dry brush.

Mostly to hide the mess the primer did.

Finished Kingdom Death survivor in Dragon Armour, with Chakram, Gloom Sword and Gloom Scabbard.

two (You)s in one day? holy shit gonna tell my mom. giving me some motivation to paint some things so I can earn some more (You)s from you guys.

those are old bolters? I have some in my bits bin and have always wondered what they are

Indeed, I'm using 30k ones from recast for my SoB.

>those are old bolters? I have some in my bits bin and have always wondered what they are

They're Second Edition Phobos-pattern bolters. Virtually every Space Marine kit from the tail end of First Edition through the middle of Third Edition came with one or more sprues that had six Mk VII shoulder pauldrons, three combat knives, three backpacks, and three bolters.

Citadel also sculpted several metal models (most notably the Adepta Sororitas, but also Space Marines and even some Necromunda gangers!) bearing the same weapon.

2nd edition bolters as far as I can tell, got them from a box I got when I was way young, 10 at most, likely 7 or less. Sadly I lost most of the old wolves, encluding the crazy haired dude with the beard and the massive power first raised in the air.

So far I have just covered the first six of them in zandric dust and washed them with agrax earth shade and then another layer of zandric, prolly gonna highlight them with something lighter. The cloth parts are gonna be white, prolly with some red freehand symbol. Some weird Desert Storm meets the Crusades theme, everybody gets a transport. My only issue is that after the first layers, I kept thinking of Tau. Gonna have to slap some zeals and other Imperial stuff just to make sure nobody gets confused.

I'd spray them off white or paint them real quick in silver. If the hatches aren't glued, having them painted just enough to look complete on the inside looks a lot better than a primed/gray plastic interior.

But I'm not about to paint highlights and OSL on the computer terminal and each rivet and shit that nobody is ever going to see.

I paint the insides of my rhinos and valks. Rhinos get off whites so mimic typical military vehicles interiors. Valks get black heavily drybrushed with red because youtube.com/watch?v=eFFgbc5Vcbw.

Resin.

Now I'm just waiting for the first layer to dry.

I forgot I had another cup with his arms and bolter inside. But it is essentially this. I know it's going to have problems, but I'm hoping it's not terrible.

No matter what however I'm going to build and paint him. Might even field him and say he's a Retartes.

>didn't actually look at the picture before uploading
>looking at my wall of the crafts room

I should clean that shit.

What part of don't feed them after midnight didn't you understand? Put them down before they hatch. Bet you even got it wet.

Well Bolter, Flamers and Meltas are pretty Imperium. Plus Rhinos and their variants.

Personally I'm going for a Tacticool religious fanatics. So transports for everyone.

This are going to be my count as Priest and everything in between. The gun looks like a Trinity gun (Bolter/Flamer/Melta) so it can work as anything.

Yeah, I just meant you "reposting" it simply as a link to the old thread. We saw it then. Post some progress.

They don't have faces

I mislinked, I meant to reply to the greentext link. Not the guy with the rhino he responded to. That's prolly or some shit. Just wanted to argue in favor of painting the intide of your transports,

I'll paint the heads and guns separately.

Never thought about doing that. Sounds like a good idea

Same, the heads seem to disappear too far down the holes to properly get to, but are so visibly that it'll be obvious that they need painting.

I usually use a tiny bit of blue on the guns and heads, to pose the models, write down on the bases which gun and head goes where. So then I simply snap them out with no problem.

How is that supposed to work? What are you going to do about the gap between his feet? Do you intend to slice your mold in half when it's done solidifying?

Space Marines seem better-suited to two-part molds.

He is going to be my Librarian/Inquistor third edition marines where so small.

You are not prepared.

Especially compared to the giant valkir sisters.

I like to think who ever made this Order had a giant fetish.

Well one of my ideas if anyone asked, was that they're not as fancy advanced as the other armours, so they just slapped on more material to do the work, so you get a bunch of regular sized grills in massive bulky armour.

Or they're all just Brienne of Tarth.

if he did that right he filled the gap wiht thin cardboard, since that's a very flexible material the model should come out fine.

I did that

My Heroforge mini came in a few weeks ago but I haven't been able to get around to painting it. Will probably get it done later this week as soon as I decide on how to paint the staff of Gulthias.

you might want some two thin holes, one on the arm and one on the head to insure that the resin gets all the way into the mold. I had a lot of headless rangers when I made mine

Just finished the first round of paint on 10,000 year pose and his friend, How'd I do? More importantly, what can I improve and how?

They look solid user, nice work. Some things you can do:

-From what I can tell you aren't using ink washes, work those into your painting repertoire. They're a super easy way to pull out details and would help your metals a lot.

-Highlight your metals

-Could probably use a brighter highlight blue on the goggles to make them stand out more.

Those are what jumped out at me. Seriously though, get some agrax earthshade and apply it to any where there are details/wrinkles/edges etc and it'll make them look a lot nicer.

i am pretty sure that model is highlighted, at least partially, thought metallics are really flat.

>thought
though

I highlighted a few bits and pieces, wasn't really sure what to do with the metal though.

Thanks for the advice, will get working right on it

Base coated my Yellow Herald of Tzeentch (aka Moon Face).

use washes on the metal and the coat

user repaint now

lovely,finish it at once, i want to see its details

where were you when I was deciding on colour schemes for my heralds?!

I think I have a second, anyone know of a good 28mm suited model for this?

>just painted on a second coat

The fumes are fucking murder. Holy fucking hell.

I hope you're doing that outside at least.

Nicely done. Don't see enough KD in these threads, sometimes feel like I'm the only one who does haha. I just finished some builds and bases this weekend, no primer on anything so no pics.

>KD

Is it fine to use hobby store acrylics (as in the ones in squeeze tubes) or should I stick with hobby paints like Vallejo?

Do any recasters do Johnny? I want one but Ebay prices are shitty

Yeah, but I accidentally took a big ass wiff and regretted it completely.

Cheap shit's decent for terrain, but they'll obscure fine details and don't have stong pigmentation. Testors has a line of decent paints, Vallejo's pretty great, GW has their own line with CItadel but it's a bit expensive, and Tamiya's stuff works in a pinch for handbrushing but it's meant for airbrushing. Don't forget to thin your paints!

I did that once with liquid latex (ammonia based) forgetting all 10 years of my chemistry experience.
We all have tard moments.

Hobby paints 100%. Vallejo is very good, it's what I use. Also pick up a tube of acrylic/glaze medium to thin with.

House Words: The dooty never ends

I notice a bit of a difference between modelers preferences to sturdy enamel/lacquer paints and miniature painters preferences to acrylics.

I wonder why that is.

Probably for hotgluing...

I think it might be a historical thing. Enamel paints were mostly all you would get in proper hobby stores for a long time. They also gave a certain look that might be preferred.

Acrylics are much easier to use because they can be cleaned and thinned with water. When you are painting 80+ minis as opposed to one very detailed tank that is pretty desirable.

Because models are larger than miniatures and things like mechs and vehicles are given simple one coat paintjobs. Go find me a painter who does painstaking blends and tiny objects with anything besides acrylic or oil.

You forgot a lantern.

Buy it and send it to a recaster so they can make copies.

So basing. I was thinking something like this for my fists, but ideally as much of a murky, ww1, wet, muddy trench look as possible. How can I achieve that? I have zero basing experience.

Also itd be pretty dope to have the deredeo im working on be bracing into the heavy mud from the recoil if I can manage it.

If you are open to buying secret weapon actually has a trench set.

Use a very generous mass of Stirland Mud. It's a great texture pain!

Just make sure you don't use a brush, but that you use the right tool

Oh, excellent. I was definitely curious about it. I think for my rank and file yella fellas Ill end up using that.

user I am loving the look of this stuff, thanks. I can't believe I never knew about this.

I don't know how a solid golden tabard would even work but you don't want to make it a bright color, it'll look like a mess. Just make it bone colored and instead pick out some of the detail in different metals.

It's good shit.
Looking at putting my imp fists on the alien infested city bases.

Patrician choice, battle bro.

Any C&C on the IF terminator I am working on?

I decided on red for the storm bolter, and I am thinking about yellow for the power fist.

Another angle

Thanks.

I am slowly working through my custom survivors that I have made. Still got over 50% of the survivor kits to construct - but I am saving them for when I have good ideas for poses and weapon combos, like the guy I posted.

They're terrible pictures so it's difficult to see anything

The yellow on the shoulder looks patchy as I guess it's a wash over white.

Your edge highlighting on black is quite thick and light.

But it's a decent enough job

I don't have a tripod, all I have is a camera phone. I'll try to take a better one. This is after I started work on the power fist.

Another one, and yes it is cassandora yellow over ushabti bone for the shoulder plates and helm

Better pictures, if you don't have a light box consider just folding a piece of A4 paper and taking a picture like that, here's an example I did before I bought my lightbox. I'm not having a go it just helps take better pictures.

Ok. Again, It's a fine enough job, but if you want to improve? lets go.

Your highlighting on the black it's too harsh, pitch black to light grey, considering mixing black and grey and fading it in. or at least use a darker grey and follow up with a highlight on the very edge with the corner of your brush.

Your metallics seem a bit washed and that's because you thinned them too much but it's good that you did, you could probably give them another coat at the same thickeness.

You've gone over the lines in a couple of places like the gold on black on the left leg, consider tidying those up.

But for a quick job to get a painted unit on the table? It's good, throw him on the table.

No, thanks. This is literally my first army and I want to get good enough to be proud of my shit.

I actually only have black and white, so the gray is a mix I made and that would mean I just made it too light.

I have never heard of a light box, I will remember that in the future.

I've tried to live by thin is worse than thick.

I only saw the gold cover up on the latest picture and I am cleaning that up now.

I appreciate the criticism!

Are you trying to emulate the first company veteran scheme?

Yes. I am a sucker for glowing power weapons though.

Although I did not realize they were veterans, I am using them just as a terminator squad. I plan on rolling them all with power fists

If this is your first army it's a great job, truly. This picture is my first model vs a later model, so you're doing better than me already.

>I actually only have black and white, so the gray is a mix I made and that would mean I just made it too light.
There's nothing with with a very light highlight but not as thick or quite how you've done it there. - Refer to the preaching of Saint Duncan
youtu.be/uo-z1gqzJMA?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx&t=261 - 4 min 20 seconds in

>I have never heard of a light box, I will remember that in the future.
I only bought one because I also sell stuff on ebay.

Just fold a piece of Paper in half and just make sure your guy is against a nice white background.

>I've tried to live by thin is worse than thick.
Correct. Thin paint looks patchy though, bare that in mind.

Ah, that's this scheme. I'd keep the black ones for the command squad and regular yellow for normal terminators.

I appreciate it, I take the painting really seriously.

I am still learning how to get thinner brushstrokes, it's tough.

I chose the black scheme just because I have so much damn yellow in my army.

I might dunk one of the UM terminators I have for the B@C box to replace the veteran I (apparently) am painting.

Currently, this is my entire army.

Vindicator on the right is only about 30% done, the contemptor needs his other arm as well as the iron warrior he is smashing needs his leg fixed to not look dumb