A splinter, also known as a sliver in some parts of Canada, is a fragment of a larger object (especially wood)...

>A splinter, also known as a sliver in some parts of Canada, is a fragment of a larger object (especially wood), or a foreign body that penetrates or is purposely injected into a body.

Cursed splinters? Magical splinters? Critical failure splinters? Wooden armor splinters?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susuk
nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susuk

>Cursed splinters?

sure, why not
you could have a splinter from the wood of a cursed house or temple and a little bit of the curse goes with you until you get it out

freak your players out, be like "roll to remove the splinter" and if they fail it stays with them

>Then ent strikes you for 2d10 damage
>You take 1d10 damage each round until you can manage a heal check to remove splinters.

>in some parts of Canada
Is it just us?

Evil Ent Wizard in heavy armor shapes himself into a splinter to infiltrate the party

>go to haunted house
>get splinter
>the ghost can now follow you out of the house because you've got a little bit of it in you

A small sliver of metal from a sword which embedded itself into the upper arm, and was left until the flesh had healed over it.

It causes intense pain in the victim whenever the sword which the sliver originated from is nearby.

>There are people who don't call them slivers
W-what

>treefolk rape

This, my mind is blown right now.

Could a druid force a splinter to grow into a full tree?

If a sliver has a curse, they all have it.

>Evil Ent Wizard in heavy armor shapes himself into a splinter to infiltrate the party

Already a thing in Anima.

Why not have monster made of splinters?

This. I literally thought this was what everyone called them. Splinter is a verb, sliver is a noun.

Splinter is also a noun, bruh.

Splinter vs sliver is the same as soda vs pop. Depends on local vernacular

Heard you talkin shit

?

>Fractal Splinter
> The fractal splinter starts out as a linear sliver of wood. Once it pierces the skin, it will immediately sink itself in entirety, just slightly too deep to remove without causing significant damage to flesh around the area of insertion. Every hour while embedded, the fractal splinter will produce new spurs, two from the middle of each previous spur. Each new spur is perpendicular to and half the length of the preceding spur.

Splinters are made of wood. Slivers are born from a hive mother or are any substance other than wood imbedded in skin.

Minnesota here can confirm you are not alone we also call it a sliver.

Get a healer and a pain killer spell and it's all good.

in the southern US we call them splinters

>The trees of Heartseek Grove have long hated the mortal races. If you should ever suffer a splinter from their wood it is vital that you remove it immediately. Such a splinter will immediately begin to burrow towards your heart. It takes a little less than a week for you to die.

see the movie "They", where strange creatures kidnap you and mark you by shoving a large mysterious sliver under your skin, which basically means you're totally fucked and are eventually going to be abducted and taken to their realm for unknown reasons.

why don't they just abduct you the very first time while they're shoving the splinter into you? fucked if i know, the plot of the movie doesn't make a fuck of a lot of sense unless the protagonist is just batshit crazy and hallucinating everything.

vocab: i'm from southern Idaho and we're more likely to say splinter than sliver, but i heard both growing up.

If it's the movie I'm thinking of, the splinters are shoved in as children to mark them as prey, and then the shadow beasties wait until they're all growed up to eat them or whatever they do.

Verbs that are also nouns:

Run, drink, mace, break, slide, wrap, chap, fight, combat, block, shop, ship, raise,

And plenty more.

>Magical splinters?

The wood from wands and other magical relics inserted under the skin in mystically significant patterns across the body.

>also known as a sliver in some parts of Canada,

Shit. Like some of the other posters above, I honestly thought everyone called them that.

This is a revelation of the sort that occurred when the NYTimes released that "where is your linguistic origin" quiz/map.
Posting it for fun, in case anyone is bored. Some of these terms are ridiculous to a non-local...

nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

North Dakota hear.
Fuck Minnesota.

>Cursed splinters?
In some versions, it was in fact a splinter from the spindle keeping the sleeping beauty asleep.

Just like that episode of Sarah Jane Adventures with the totem pole!

In Scotland (and some parts of northern England) they're called spelks.

The ninth bright shiner pulled off splinter based dickery pretty well

Is that from Scots or English? Or both?

Fuck I loved those books as a kid.

I loved the castles one where they had gory as fuck drawings of battles and medieval torture. Educational!

The gong farmer! Also, trying to find the spy in each of the pages, and seeing how he sneaks into the castle during the siege.

>also known as a sliver in some parts of Canada

Grew up in California and I've never heard them referred to as splinters when stuck in somebody, always slivers.

>A splinter from a cursed metal disk containing an evil god embeds itself in a young man, allowing the god control over the man. The splinter must break free from the circulatory system of the young man and rejoin the disk before the god can be reborn.

>also known as a sliver in some parts of Canada
Holy shit not everyone calls them slivers? This is a bloody revelation. How can I live my life knowing I've been using a Canadian-ism the whole time...

>Grew up in California and I've never heard them referred to as splinters when stuck in somebody, always slivers.
Grew up in New York and same.

Going by the rest of this thread it seems as if "some parts of Canada" is in reality "most of North America."

>all these sliverfags itt
I don't know who to trust anymore

I had never heard of this practice before, but essentially the same thing this article describes came to mind when I first saw this image, although it's not directly related

Those carpenters are pretty hardcore.

Washington (state) reporting in, we also call them slivers

What the actual fuck is going on?

Who calls them Splinters? Where is this coming from?

Canadian here, everyone I know calls them slivers.

Gentlemen, it is clear to me that two alternative realities have just collapsed into one. Thankfully the only difference seemed to have been the name of splinters.

I live in New York (not far from the Canadian border ) and I've always called them splinters, though I have heard the word "sliver" used before.

You're just Jealous that that's literally nothing in your fucking state besides fargo and bismarck.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and I've also never heard sliver. I think it's an east coast thing, both North and South.

If it's wood it's a splinter, if it's metal or some other material is a sliver.

US south here

It's always been splinter here as far as I know

Trips confirms it. Praise Kek.

french canadian here, the only english word I know for it is splinter, didn't know slivers was a real word (only thought it was MTG related)

Born and raised in Ohio, spent the last decade in California. They're called splinters.

I don't know why anyone would call a splinter a sliver.
Yeah, sure, it's a sliver of wood, but come the fuck on guys.

Australian here, I've never even heard of the idea of calling a splinter a sliver till this thread.

>Curse nailgun

really? I'm southern britbong and while I wouldn't naturally use the term sliver for a splinter, I'd certainly know that someone meant splinter if they used sliver in that context, think it's an archaic english term, especially in the sense where it's specific to the metal working trades.

Also from PA, slivers is what they're called around here.

Texas here. For us it's splinter.

Ohio here, splinter. It seems to be a north/south thing. Where's the cutoff?

It happens in, I think, the first Gaunt's Ghosts novel. There's a little stone statue in the Chaos dude's trenches that hurts to look at, so they shoot it. a sliver of it hits a dude in the cheek, and a few hours later he explodes into a Daemon

M8, this sort of thing is exactly what the spoiler tag is for.

it's the first book, like maybe three chapters in, to some random dude.

hey, you know what else happens? They fight Chaos dudes. sorry for not spoilering that

A sliver you say?
And where are you from?

Houston, Texas, born and raised
Just to be clear, I only called it a sliver because it was stone. I'd have called it a splinter if it was wood.

Do you think we're all on the same timeframe? We should syncronise writstbens

what books are those?

Where are you? Around Erie? It might be something that's wrapped around the great lakes region. I'm in South Central.

I was thinking more in terms of magic that has suffering as a necessary component requiring the caster to drive enchanted nails into their own flesh.

Isn't there some kind of magic in Mystborn where you like, harness power or something by driving metal steaks into your body?

There's an issue of Hellboy where a sea hag drives a golden nail into one of his horns. IIRC it kept him bound to her and let him breath underwater.

>whats the story of the snow-queen?

Fellow Canadian, l only know sliver. No one says splinter

This is a pretty pertinent question for the facilitation of shenanigans and no one has addressed it.

North Dakotan who lives in Minnesota here.

I don't think that other user is really from North Dakota. He's much too rude.

Fuck off, North Dakota fuck.

Your state is 100% too flat and every time I take the fucking Amtrak it's the worst part of the ride. It's like the entire place has been drenched in meth and poverty for decades.

This was exactly the first thing I thought of, too. You can't fucking overlook even a splinter, man!

I did some quick math and I think after a day or two that wouldn't be getting noticeably worse, because the new branches would be shorter than a strand of DNA is wide. By the end of the week, new spokes might at most disturb an electron or two.

You could probably get shitfaced drunk long enough to have the worst of it pass.

first thing i thought of.
From NYC, always used splinters for wood and slivers for metal.

Nova Scotia here, the fuck is a sliver?

I'm from Michigan and I've heard both my whole life.

Oregon here. Sliver here.