Hive Queen Quest 58.2

A shadow is cast over the orbital structures and construction yards as they drift through space, bathing them in darkness as the wall of ship hull blocks out the dim light of the nearest few stars. The ship moves over the assembly of deep space construction yards, drifting out of the orbit of the slag-covered sunless world beneath the waystation ruins, its wings spanning across the entire field of assembly yards.

The massive drive wings, spanning nearly as far as the ship is long, begin to slowly sweep forward, arcing with energy as the ship's drive spools up. The craft seethes with fighters and clouds of swarm drones, flowing around its six kilometer spine like a flowing whirlpool, diving into its outstretched hangars as it flexes its missile racks with an aching groan, the launch tubes emerging like a forest across the hull before retracting again as the drive wings sweep forward, energy discharges arcing between them and the spine of the ship, and in a sudden burst of light that bakes the skin of the construction platforms and casts harsh shadows along the frozen crags of slag along the planet bellow, it is gone. Departed to regroup with the rest of the fleet.

On the surface of Leeland, thunder rolls across the horizon as the clouds above become momentarily illuminated, the shadows of low flying corvettes cast harshly in the mists above, and the sun becomes dimmer.

Welcome back to Hive Queen Quest!

>Archives suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Hive Queen Quest
>Twitter twitter.com/HiveQueenQuest
>Various pasta pastebin.com/u/QuestDrone
>FAQ ask.fm/QuestDrone
>Discussion page 1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KOyQccEVLrw
1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest
youtube.com/watch?v=7TuXR8ALqtE
1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest#Citadel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God dammit, I needed to sleep tonight

>A shadow is cast over the orbital structures and construction yards as they drift through space
yeeesss

>bathing them in darkness as the wall of ship hull blocks out the dim light of the nearest few stars
Yeeessss

>The ship moves over the assembly of deep space construction yards, drifting out of the orbit of the slag-covered sunless world beneath the waystation ruins, its wings spanning across the entire field of assembly yards.
YEEESSSS

hell yeah!

GLORIOUS BEYOND ALL GLORY

>The massive drive wings, spanning nearly as far as the ship is long, begin to slowly sweep forward, arcing with energy as the ship's drive spools up. The craft seethes with fighters and clouds of swarm drones, flowing around its six kilometer spine like a flowing whirlpool, diving into its outstretched hangars as it flexes its missile racks with an aching groan, the launch tubes emerging like a forest across the hull before retracting again as the drive wings sweep forward, energy discharges arcing between them and the spine of the ship, and in a sudden burst of light that bakes the skin of the construction platforms and casts harsh shadows along the frozen crags of slag along the planet bellow, it is gone. Departed to regroup with the rest of the fleet.
>On the surface of Leeland, thunder rolls across the horizon as the clouds above become momentarily illuminated, the shadows of low flying corvettes cast harshly in the mists above, and the sun becomes dimmer.

So, now the question begging to be asked... can we make more than one?
Have several with different designs to fulfill different roles, perhaps?

So do we load it up for a diplomatic mission or is it going to be defensive for now?

Of course we can make more, they are just expensive and take a long time to construct.

Sure, the Citadel is kind of stupidly overpriced with all the shit we added to it.

So you're saying we need to make one stupidly bigger with even more stupid shit added to it?

Time to build one the size of a small protoplanet! We need larger shipyards.

This is the ship. This is the ship to bring the fear of Mother to her enemies and trust to her friends. It will bring Vengeance to those who wronged out family. Vengeance.

I would like to vote, we name it Vengeance. Mothers Vengeance.

>make one stupidly bigger with even more stupid shit added to it
Yes.

For Mother!

>Time to build one the size of a small protoplanet! We need larger shipyards.
Sounds like a great Idea!

Nah I like Sofa King for the name. It is designed to bring retribution to all who deny the Hive comfortable seating.

We need to construct something like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=KOyQccEVLrw

The Citadel is mostly an economic ship design, of the 121 modules allowed, we're using 23 for Solar Collectors
>Module: (23x) Solar Collector (+9,200N/Day) (23,000M)

We still haven't made a planet sized couch.

I played that game, and if somebody legit built that they don't have a fleet.

>121 modules
wew lad

It's not really an economic ship... The collectors were just to help pay for some cost while it was idle.

It's strength comes from it's hangar, swarms and missiles.

It also has a shit ton of bulkheads

Eh... 23 for Solar Collection, and 98 for battle. And this ship is so stupidly expensive (worth it!) that it'll take so long to pay itself back from an economic standpoint we would have been much better off building the collectors straight up.

I see it as much more of a fleet support, and diplomatic ship.

Sounds like we need another designed only for ravaging entire planets.

Wait, if it's meant for fleet support shouldn't it have micro rip drive?

Sorry, it's 124

People thought putting Collectors on a battleship was a good idea for... what reason?

Started construction on it before we had that tech.

see this guys post

The current design lacks a micro-factory, could we add that in? Seems rather vital for a mobile carrier/base

I think a rip drive is probably a good idea to include on a hive ship - if not this one than on a hive ship built in the future. It will definitely help our slower allies keep up with hive fleets in the midst of campaigns and combat.

Beats me. I don't really care much for ship design. From the notes back in... September 2015, here's what there is:

>A massive mobile fortress designed to act as an anchor for capillary towers. Its array of weapons and missile launchers allow it to a planet's orbit from any range while its internal hanger space provide an instant defense force once it has arrived at a claimed planet.

Your clones quickly list their names as the two groups walk along the dark service tunnels. Your brawlers halt, sending the image of the faint thermal signatures to the rest of the clones. Hiromi and Feng both take notice.

"What-" They start to say, but your children cut them off with a sudden hand gesture. Your clones say nothing, but they quickly take positions as Peter walks past the two humans, whispering to them quickly.

"Looks like five up ahead. seventy meters distance around the next corner."

"These patrols are getting ridiculous." Feng says. "We can sneak past them, but it's going to be a detour." He says as he moves to one of the small alleyways. Hiromi tugs at his arm.

"Or, we could just deal with them. Be a good chance to make sure the prophets over here are for real." She says with a grin. Feng looks back at your drones.

"Alright, fine, you up for a quick fight? They're blocking the fastest route, but we'll need to do it quietly and quickly."

>Ambush the patrol
>Sneak around them
>Other (write in)

Historically most queens didn't have any, or they had one, but this limitation was simply due to their cost. Their primary role is force projection and logistics, as they are essentially a mobile hive. Smaller time queens had no need for them, and more notable queens typically only felt the need for one, two at the most, but there is no hard limit on the actual number you can build, and the Obsidian Queen seems to have many more than what was historically normal, as she has already lost two, one being killed by you and the other by Theseus, although she has far more territory than past queens, so they are likely spread out in a similar distribution.

However, while they are technically intended for logistics and force projection, they are also incredibly powerful in combat, especially yours.

Sigh

I guess I could go to the page and add one in, but fuck I don't want to re-calculate the fucking price again.

Did it like three times.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest
alt f Citadel
Look at that price, it was a bit much at the time. The collectors are there to help cut the cost, and have a base to run to even if everything else goes belly up.

sneak around them

Good idea. Personally I'd also swap out some of the solar collector modules for a micro-factory. Maybe we can make some changes to ship design after the main thread?

Why would't/don't we rip the collectors out and replace them with something else then? It seems like a waste otherwise. After all if its IN a battle, then something has posed a SERIOUS threat to us.

>Sneakie Breekie son

>>Ambush the patrol

>>Ambush the patrol

Make sure the survivalist loots them.

>>Sneak around them

>>Sneak around them
We are not your evening fucking entertainment lady.

>Ambush the patrol
Show the riff-raff what we're capable of.

One microfactory is fine.

But listen to what QD has said, even with those few collectors this thing is absurd in combat.

and I'd rather not muck with the design AGAIN.

Like I've said I've changed it like three times already.

I take it that spinal mounted railgun is much, MUCH more powerful than any other ships railgun, right?

And as I said, if we NEED to deploy it, something has gone fucking tits up and all it can handle must be brought to bare.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone missed it, but one of the reasons for the prophet names was to carry the illusion, at least for now, that the clones are followers and higher ups of that doomsday religion.

>Sneak around them
It's what we do

Very much so. Very very much so.

>Ambush the patrol

With special add on: Have our flies (they're accompanying our clones right?) put the patrol to sleep. Would be quite a feat to see the entire squad defeated before either they or our "allies" saw each other.

Hey QuestDrone, how do you factor in things like bulkheads, various types of armors and shielding into rolls? Do they give us a bonus to DC's when taking hits or what?

Indeed

It already can handle everything. It has 5 cruise missile launchers and fucking 1860 fighters, not even counting the 1000 swarm drones.

There is literally nothing comparable to this behemoth. And with 50 bulkheads and multi-layer shields it's already nigh unkillable.

>sneak past them

>Sneak around them
No reason to stir up trouble and get the local PDF on alert.

I would really like to know how he calculates speed and maneuverability too, that's a factor we've been sorely overlooking in our ship designs so far.

You... seem to not understand that space is scary and DQ lost OD 2, and she may have a shit ton more.

Our ships are worth ten to one on hers, easily.

This monster can shred her comparable ships without any threat to itself.

I will add the microfactory though, which is luckily utility and not a module at all.

well when it sinks because it wasn't kitted out for the worse fights, I'll be the one laughing that it was unsinkable.

I just don't like large scale mobile ships like this as anything other then armored warships. Its fine, sorry to cause any problems.

>>Ambush the patrol

>There is literally nothing comparable to this behemoth. And with 50 bulkheads and multi-layer shields it's already nigh unkillable.
youtube.com/watch?v=7TuXR8ALqtE

Don't underestimate her. No matter how much stagnation has happened over the past tens of thousands of years, she has had nothing to do in all this time apart from build whatever she wants and bully aliens.

No no, it's fine user. I'll play the violin with you if it happens.

Having dissenting opinions is the spice of life afterall.

also

1d4chan.org/wiki/Quest_talk:Hive_Queen_Quest#Citadel

added the factory, QD can you retroactively deduct the costs? It's really a drop in the bucket honestly

>"nigh unkillable."

Welp, now we know we're going to lose the ship sooner or later. Thanks user.

I'll take that challenge.

Does anyone remember what weapon we replaced the wasp's sting casters with?

iirc it was a blaster but I don't remember.

if it sinks, we're gonna have an issue because we won't have another one ready unless we start on it now.

Here lies The Citadeltanic: Too Large To Sink

Then we'll just have to build a bigger, better one.

In fact, we should design another variant focused on strike craft support. A giant, star eclipsing fighter carrier.

I'd prefer one that focuses on planetary destruction actually, or blowing up really really big things. Like Star-bases.

that's a vast waste of resources mate, because we could use those stars, or planets. Something more along the lines of a battleship is much better if we're this large up.

>Sneak around them

Please give me 1d100, best of 3.

Yes. It's comparable to a cylinder server ship's own spinal mount and is, in terms of raw single strike damage potential, the most powerful ship mounted railgun in the quest. That said, it does only have two (one in this case) of them, while more combat dedicated ships like the battleship have more, with the battleship clocking in at five, which does help to make up for the loss in raw damage. You also can get a tremendous bonus to damage when firing at a target moving towards you at a high relative speed, granting the slug a greater total impact. With enough velocity, even fighter mounted guns can hit with quite a punch, and sub capitals can hit with similar force as capitals.

Of course, that works for the Hive ship just the same. If you were to have it accelerate to relativistic speed and shoot at... anything really, and score a hit, that "anything" would essentially just become nothing. Not that much in any faction's arsenal that could survive a direct relativistic impactor round from a hive ship.

Shields could be considered to, in mechanical terms at least, force a miss. The shields just absorb all damage until they fail, so all attacks essentially miss, unless they cause internal damage from shaking the ship around or have special abilities that bypass them. Armor could be considered to offer a kind of damage reduction, making hits that get through less severe, and bulkheads more or less just stack hit points on the ship.

Maneuvering is all relative. Literally. The closer the target is the easier it is to hit, and the faster the two targets are moving towards each other the more damage any weapons using physical components will do. The faster they are departing the less damage they will do, until they reach a point where they are outrunning each other's weapons. Ships with greater acceleration potential are harder to hit.

>only a fighter carrier
>not a mobile fighter factory
>hell, not a mobile frigate factory and carrier
>with tons of gunship hangars and factories as well
>and a shit ton of long-range weapons
>and ten metric shittons of point-defense and shields

At this point we'll need to figure out how to turn a planetoid into a capital capital capital ship, and weaponize it

Why would you waste resources destroying a planet? Just make the ship solely focused on bombarding the planet with hive creep, spores and building capillary towers.

Then let's start building another one now! We can have an entire shipyard on Waystation devoted entirely to producing a steady stream of hive ships, one after another.

Rolled 42 (1d100)

Sneaky beaky is sneaky.

dice+1d100

Rolled 18 (1d100)

Probably gonna be late but might as well
FOR MOTHER

Rolled 54 (1d100)

Take my FOR MOTHER.

For Mother!

Hivestar Remina!

for mother!

When I said planetary destruction I didn't mean cracking it, just removing all constructions on it. I forgot about hive creep however.

Sure. You were retrofitting it back and forth before it was done, so I was actually about to ask for a final confirmation on the design currently in the wiki. If you guys want to change out those solar collectors you can if you want.

Do the solar collectors really even do anything?

Rolled 84 (1d100)

You guys forgot to say it quietly. Here, for Mother.

Rolled 11 (1d100)

For Mother?

I'm fine with the current design.

There's nothing really more to add to it.

god damn it you're too late!

Could we possibly add gravity plating as well? If any of our ships are going to host high ranking negotiations with non hive life, it's going to be this one.

I'd rather not, the humans can deal.

Can we some-what gut the solar-collectors and get to work on an actual 'battleship' styled one of it? Just so we have a back-up because well... one is good, but two is fun.

Mediocre.

Hey QD, what did we change the wasp's weapons to?

remember you mentioning it the other thread but I can't recall what it was.

They apparently subsidize the upkeep, but that was before we renovated the resource system.

On the plus side, we can now show off our JOHJ-muscles.
Because subconsciously I've been using Johjs for our humanaclones.

We can add gravity plating to a small section. It's pointless for our drones and it's very expensive, but it's worth having a little bit in a single area to help scare visitors.

You know we have, actual fucking battleships right?

Look at was has been said, this thing is already absurd in combat.

Jesus people.

Wanting it to be even more absurd isn't a bad thing.

writing.

Well, when not in use, they will essentially just reduce the running upkeep of the ship itself, so I'll just give it two upkeep costs, one for when the collectors are deployed, and one when they're not, and when it's [awaiting orders] I'll just count the upkeep cost with the deployed collectors. A hive ship is a big enough asset that I'm still keeping track of them individually.

Sure, like I said, I was planning on confirming the wiki design since you had been working on it up until it was finished, so if you want to change it around a bit to add in new things you've unlocked since it started, that's fine.

Blasters, I believe. Got it written down somewhere but off the top of my head I think it was blasters.

We might want to consider adding some singularity projectors.

Also, we've got a free spinal mount to use.

>This thing is absurd in combat
>Nobody could ever sink it

You never studied naval battles have you in the real world? We're Small as shit compared to OQ and she has more time and resources then us. Also there is a saying, If you need it today you should've built it yesterday.

>Unity sends us to a nightclub called The Hive
You cheeky bastard, Theseus.

I am suddenly curious for the source of that image.
Please tell me you've got it?

>Also, we've got a free spinal mount to use.

Spinal hangar, it's where the 1860 fighters come from.

>Also, we've got a free spinal mount to use.
We don't. They only have two, and one is occupied by a hangar and the other with a rail gun, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Are you referring to the swarmers on our ships? I remember switching their default weapons to blasters a couple threads ago, but not anything about wasps.