How do I help my kamikaze player

Veeky Forums, I have a player who won't stop diving headfirst into suicidal situations. I've played with him and run games that he has been in in the past, and it keeps becoming an issue. If he were building characters with the intent of kamikazeing them that would be one thing, but instead he is making characters, getting invested in them, and then he is unhappy when he gets them killed. I want him to be a happy player, hence I am coming to you.

I've seen him run straight into the pitch blackness of a cavern, a blackness that was spitting salvoes of arrows at the party, "until I run a far as my move will take me or I hit something". He proceeded to run into an enemy, who had darksight, and they surrounded him and stabbed him to death with spear. He was already low on health and out of spells when he did so. I've seen him take on a demon in single combat, a demon that is supposed to be combat for 4 people, not one. I've seen him charge a line of police officers with assault rifles who were telling him to freeze, and shortly thereafter he was shot to death. I've seen him blitz the boss character who was surrounded by her warriors, only to be set upon by said warriors and destroyed. No matter the system, he keeps charging in heedless of danger and dying, and subsequently becomes unhappy with the game and detaches himself in sessions.
(cont)

(cont).
I have tried talking to him about it outside of game. I've brought up tactics that he might use, suggested that he make a more durable character in the future or counterattack enemy close combatants to protect the gunners in the group. He's told me that waiting for the enemy to act is boring, if he's reacting to the enemy he feels like a robot not a player. I've tried to sit down with him and see what he wants, and he always comes back to close-combat powerhouse. I've provided the books to him that he might learn the rules better and pursue something that he wants to do, but I'm fairly certain he hasn't looked at them once. Often he sits down to game, tired from the day leading up to the session, with a glass of wine in hand and spaces out until it's combat time, where he dives headlong in once again. I'm... really not sure what to do. I want him to be happy, and he wants to play roleplaying games, but how do I help him?

I had a player like this once. He'd start fights and beg the GM to "give us combat, I have class soon" and all sorts of terrible things. His entire character (tiefling warlock, IIRC) only ever wanted to fight, and he did indeed charge off alone to his death once while the rest of the party fled. This isn't Keywork is it?

Let's confirm then, that asides from the kamikaze behavior, that this player you have is even a good player. The one I had was not.

I'm not sure if I can confirm that he is a good player. He shows up regularly, but is usually pretty quiet. He can engage in party shenanigans from time to time, but he also often just lets everyone else do their thing. He has never sought or asked to have any skills outside of combat, I suggested that he might become a character that could use specialized intelligence based skills to help the party investigate mysteries in ways they weren't able to, and he shrugged it off under the presumption that it would make him less effective at combat.

>Often he sits down to game, tired from the day leading up to the session, with a glass of wine in hand and spaces out until it's combat time, where he dives headlong in once again.
>he wants to play roleplaying games

Sounds more like he wants to play Mortal Kombat, because he's currently roleplaying as a Lord of the Rings extra.

I had a player like this to some extent, he told me flat out he didn't like to read (this was a text RP, freeform) and hated social segments of the campaign. Without bending over backwards to please that one guy there's really nothing you can do. You can flavor the campaign to some extent around what he wants to do (a party of questing knights, a party of XCOM soldiers, a Deathwatch kill team, etc) but at the end of the day you can't fix the need to die for the Emperor.
If his only tactic is to floor it into close combat and damn the torpedoes, he needs to suck it up and either bring five character sheets to the game, or make something other than a cross between a berserker and an assault ram.

The reason I'm posting is actually about the Dark Heresy campaign I'm running. He lost a fate point in the campaign in the core rulebook, and again in Edge of Darkness to the local corrupt police force who all carry autocarbines and came running when the corrupt magos biologis secret hideout was being investigated. The cops came running because the player in question did a flying hip-check ("dick first", as he declared) into the head of the soup kitchen that two other players were interrogating. The man cried for help, and after 10-15 minutes the cops showed up with guns.

Dark Heresy, as you probably know, is a fairly lethal system, and I stressed this again and again to my players going into it. He got gunned down as the rest of the party fled, rolled up a new melee character to fill in while the party tried to recover his old character the next session, only to charge straight into close combat and die with the new character in that very session

I've got to be honest OP, it sounds like your player is bored. This isn't something on your end, he'd just rather be rolling dice and killing things 24/7, and when that's not happening he feels like he has nothing to do. Hence him being "usually pretty quiet". He's just waiting for combat.

I've admittedly done something a bit similar. My crossbow-toting beefy cleric (not the main healer, chill) began kicking doors in because I was getting tired of the wasted minutes while we checked for traps on every single door, and half the time did actually find a trap. I lead with my pavise improvised as a tower shield to improve my good armor, and most of the traps we got through just fine and it saved time.
I was rushing in entirely because I had, out of character, become impatient with the pace of the adventure. Me thinks this is the same problem your player is having, except he came for the combat, while I was trying to get past the combat faster.

>The cops came running because the player in question did a flying hip-check ("dick first", as he declared) into the head of the soup kitchen that two other players were interrogating.

The fact this guy is so eager to affirm thousands of years of blessed Krieg's military tradition aside, this is the kind of shit that you usually hear right before the sentence "He wasn't invited back to the game."

You need to sit him down with a cup of decaf or something non-alcoholic and explain to him that he must pick one of the following:

1. Running headlong into danger until he suddenly halts in place as he has been reduced to pulled pork.

2. Getting sullen about No. 1

If he picks 1, congratulations, you have successfully graduated an Ork Boy to a Kommando. If he picks 2, well, there's worse things to be than the human equivalent of a TOW missile. In my experience, both detract from good games, though constant character death and introduction is FAR worse than someone who's just overtly aggressive from a storytelling standpoint.

Ask your other players how they feel and proceed from there, but I can tell you as a ForeverGM I'd have shitcanned this guy, or at least forcefully discussed with him the idea of changing his ways.

I'm not sure what I can do to keep him from getting bored, though. I try to keep the game moving along, if it slows down because people are having game-related conversations between players I allow it as they're roleplaying out how they are planning their attack, otherwise I try to keep things moving briskly. It also bothers me that he doesn't seem to use much for tactics, there are at least a dozen different moves he could use in combat and he either uses all-out attacks or regular attacks that allow him to dodge/parry.

Part of my out of game talks with him included a bit where I told him there were a variety of melee characters he could make that all brought something slightly different to the table. From a dual-wielding guardsmen to a greatweapon toting assassin to a techpriest with robot hounds to a psyker (Biomancer) augmenting his abilities and punching holes through the enemy. I also mentioned he might consider another type of character, more utility or ranged combat, or if he wanted to take a short break from the game he would be welcome back. He told me that he prefers to play "tankbuster" type characters, high-damage dealers that can easily overcome an enemy's damage resistance, and that playing anything else seemed relatively pointless. I haven't mentioned anything to the other players, but, I am now considering it...

>Melee "tankbuster" in DH when you're not even playing a space marine
>Not going sniper for 3d10+whatever.

>I'm not sure what I can do to keep him from getting bored, though.

This is part of what I was saying earlier- barring you running a dedicated murder hobo eterni-dungeon it seems like he's always going to be chomping at the bit for the next combat encounter; unfortunately for him he keeps getting iced from those encounters. If you ran a murderhobo paradise, chances are he'd just keep dying, and that wouldn't solve your problem. Meanwhile, anyone who showed up to play an actual narrative campaign would get pissed off by the combat.

>I haven't mentioned anything to the other players, but, I am now considering it...

I absolutely would. If I was playing in a game with this guy I'd have gotten tired of him two or three deaths in, especially if you've taken the time and effort to introduce each one of his expendable characters only for him to throw them away with the same shit. I don't know this guy personally, so maybe your group would have a suggestion for how to deal with him between "tolerate his nonsense" and "kick him out." As it stands, it seems like he's upset with the game, but also completely unwilling to iterate on his strategy for approaching it, and it's weighing your campaign down.

Tried presenting the odd non-combat skill challenge that only he is equipped to handle?

What do his characters tend to be able to do besides stab shit or has he just dumped everything in weapon skill?

Get him some ADHD meds

Yeah, I don't think murder-hobo paradise would work as well either as he would just continually die, and if I ran a game where you just resurrected every time you die in some sort of valhalla/gladiatorial bout they wouldn't get any satisfaction because victory or defeat are pointless...

His first character had the ability to be stealthy. Being that I was running a premade game and it was an early mission it didn't call for any stealth specific tasks, but he could definitely have tried to have used it to get close to the enemy. Once again, he saw the quicker path to combat to be a straight line at full speed to the nearest enemy.

Alas, I am no doctor. I'm not sure if all the wine he drinks helps, either

>His first character had the ability to be stealthy.
>he saw the quicker path to combat to be a straight line at full speed to the nearest enemy.

Are you sure he's not just a troll, OP? Or barring that, some kind of humanoid fungus that plays tabletop games to hide?

Look, if the group isn't bothered and you want to make him happy, maybe push him towards something that can just tank all to fuck and back, or alternatively (a better idea) a high-damage class that can hang back and not take damage, like a sharpshooter Assassin.

Maybe you can do this passively if you emphasize rolling power levels, giving the players bonuses for survival and leveling up, and incentivize the Khornate member of your table to not throw his life away. I ran a Dark Heresy campaign for almost a year and a half in college, meeting once a week, and by the end of it the party was a not-space marine, a Culexus assassin, a well respected Inquisitor, Master Chief the stormtrooper, and the psyker equivalent of that kid from the Twilight Zone whose imagination changed reality in real time.

The point is, perhaps that level of development in others will provoke some interest in your madman such that he might be more taciturn.

Use him as a plot hook. Essentially he becomes a NPC. Oh look. Leeroy is charging naked into the Kraken lair again. Whatever shall we do etc etc. Just make sure you use DM fiat so that he doesn't die but doesn't become the superhero either.

You got a casual player who likes to roll dice.

This isn't anything that odd really, and I don't think you should try to change your gaming style to pander to someone who only wants to participate casually.

If anything you should tell him sternly that he shouldn't fuck up for the rest of players by charging "not that hostile" NPC:s before they get a chance to avoid combat.

Get this kid into wargaming.

So many of the issues DMs have with players come right down to a failure to communicate. We just have to try to put ourselves in the player’s position and try to understand how he sees the situation. One of the things I’m most often asked about is aggression. The DM usually tells me that the player, with no warning, became aggressive. But that’s rarely true. Players give many signals when they’re frightened or apprehensive — which is usually why they act aggressively. If you watch a pack of feral players, they rarely behave aggressively toward each other. Players have a very clear set of signals they use to indicate that they want to play, not fight — because as pack animals it’s in their DNA to live socially.

So if players don’t use words, how do they communicate? Like all other animals they “talk” through energy. Think about how players behave around each other. They circle each other, then approach gradually and sniff each other. There’s a calm, relaxed energy to the encounter as each player indicates he’s comfortable before they get closer to each other. They’re drawn to calm energy, which is why I say the most important thing for you as a Dungeon Master is to be calm and assertive. Remember, players have evolved for centuries alongside DMs. More than any animal they’ve learned to study us and read the subtlest changes in body language, always in an effort to please us. Watch for the signs — your player will tell you if he’s nervous or excited.

The problem for most people is that they miss those early signs because they aren’t paying attention, and the first time they pay attention is when the player starts barking or becomes aggressive.Being a Dungeon Master is about providing direction and protection. If you don’t display calm, assertive energy, your player will sense a vacuum and will try to take over the role of DM. And that’s the root of many problems between DM and player.

Just kill him

>remember- tell no one, bury it at least 5ft deep, somewhere remote and use lots of lime

What a useful post. It really contributed to the thread.

Saved for future generations.

Are the other players happy about the situation, OP?

it's shit though
it's just another "nature documentary but modified" post, and it's not even well-modifiied.

It'll score upvotes, but it doesn't add to the discussion.

Even casuals know better than to get themselves constantly killed. It sounds more like he's got a Leeroy Jenkins cosplayer.

>He's told me that waiting for the enemy to act is boring, if he's reacting to the enemy he feels like a robot not a player.
So thinking and adapting instead of relying on rote response ("I charge in and fight") is somehow robotic? I think your player might be retarded. Pretty much any RPG sounds too complex for him.