MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>In roughly one hour, the banlist update will be released. When it's out, answer this: what are your thoughts?
>Guillaume Wafo-Tapa is having some success with Esper Control on MTGO. Granted, it's a professional pro player, but what are your thoughts on the deck?
>Is Spirits a meme?

EMN spoiler link:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-new-fortress-in-town/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/some-kind-of-ru-tempo/
mtgtop8.com/event?e=12929&d=275271&f=MO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The overall and paper Modern Metagame.
(1 month old).

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
>modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

• Ancient Den
• Birthing Pod
• Blazing Shoal
• Bloodbraid Elf
• Chrome Mox
• Cloudpost
• Dark Depths
• Deathrite Shaman
• Dig Through Time
• Dread Return
• Eye of Ugin
• Glimpse of Nature
• Great Furnace
• Green Sun's Zenith
• Hypergenesis
• Jace, the Mind Sculptor
• Mental Misstep
• Ponder
• Preordain
• Punishing Fire
• Rite of Flame
• Seat of the Synod
• Second Sunrise
• Seething Song
• Sensei's Divining Top
• Skullclamp
• Splinter Twin
• Stoneforge Mystic
• Summer Bloom
• Treasure Cruise
• Tree of Tales
• Umezawa's Jitte
• Vault of Whispers

You can unban up to three. Which do you choose?

Right now? I don't think the format needs anything to change. In the future, maybe BBE.

Stoneforge Mystic and maybe BBE.

I would unban

>Splinter Twin

It wasn't broken and all the reasons wotc listed as reasons to ban it were completely pulled out of their ass

>Stoneforge Mystic

Control should be able to exist and SfM would help

>rite of flame

Storm is shit and I don't think it'll push it into tier 1

Obviously nothing will be banned right now. I doubt anything will be unbanned either, but I hope Stoneforge Mystic gets unbanned just my AEther Vials spike to FoW-level ridiculousness.

NO CHANGES TO ANY FORMAT, CONFIRMED

Alright, here's the list:

Creatures: (23)
>Mausoleum Wanderer x4
>Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit x3
>Bloodghast x2
>Rattlechains x3
>Phantasmal Image x4
>Geist of Saint Traft x2
>Drogskol Captain x4
>Spell Queller x3

Artifacts: (4)
>Aether Vial x4

Sorceries: (4)
>Lingering Souls x4

Instants: (4)
>Path to Exile x4

I'm also considering Bygone Bishop since all creatures are cmc 3 or less and the deck's severely lacking card draw. Plus, using vials means you don't have to worry much about leaving the mana open to cast the creature after crackin the clue.

You could say its too slow, but cantriping off every creature to keep your hand fueled is very important for a tempo deck that wants to have cards in hand as answers or bluffs. Its solid card advantage turn after turn in a deck that is played during your opponents' turn, so its great to be able to draw a card or two if you don't have any answers or nothing in particular to answer to.

Nice.

No sideboard? How do you expect anyone to play with this deck?

I omitted in because I was in a rush to post before the ban announcement, since I expected ban discussion would clog up the thread. Guess that ain't happening no mo'.

Still, spirits have such a wide array of sideboard options that anything other than one tailored to your particular meta needs would be a mistake plain and simple. Still, here are a few standouts:

>Kataki, War's Wage
>Eidolon of Rhetoric
>Spirit of the Labyrinth
>Promise of Bunrei
>Anguished Unmaking

The list goes on. Really, there are quite a few very technical cards that fit into the tribal theme and that's without getting into traditional esper sideboard options.

Ponder, stoneforge, Deathrite.

Fight me.

I can only pick one deck to play locally, with a budget of 500.

Living End, RG Breach, Ad Nauseum, or Eldrazi Tron.

Which one will I get the most fun out of for the longest amount of time on paper?

Dead format dead thread no one plays this card game unless it's for free online.

>Control should be able to exist and SfM would help

Is this bizarro land or does Jeskai Harbinger not exist in your area?

Ad Nauseam is the most viable and fun if you're into solitaire, which frankly Modern is all about (goldfish as fast as you can and/or draw your sideboard). Living End folds to any countermagic and yard hate, Eldrazi Tron is straight up worse than regular RG, Breach is worse Titanshift/RG Valakut.

BANLIST UPDATE WHEN?!?!?!

Ad Nauseam isn't even fun solitaire though, if you're gonna play a deck that wanks off at least pick one that takes thought

Of those 4 I'd go Eldrazi Tron cuz the other 3 are linear as hell, most of your games are going to be the same

But if you want to win, AN is the best there

I would ban anything pre-10th edition

THIS

>Ban all cards that only exist with a while border
>Unban EVERYTHING else

That's it, Modern saved.

>while

white* kek

Jitte, Preordain, and Deathrite

>Splinter Twin
A card that made 90% of non-tier 1 decks lose consistably at turn 4

I really hope you see some reasons for banning that card

Have you accepted your new Queen and Saviour of the format yet, Veeky Forums?

I'm assuming you were all smart enough to immediately get your playset at the prerelease

So basically she's the new Daenerys/SJW Communist leader?

No because I prefer to play interactive midrange decks rather than "interactive" fedora.dec.

>Playing my UBr Tezzerator list
>They tap out for T4 Nahrir
>Trinket Mage for a Pithing Needle and play it
>Slam Ensnaring Bridge
>Grind them out with EE and Academy Ruins
>Tezz ult them out
B E S T P L A N E S W A L K E R

Ad Nauseam is the best deck there, but it's also boring, just like Living End and Breach, you just hope you pull off your gimmick before the other person does.

Eldrazi Tron isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either, and it takes a little more thought than a brainless Ad Nauseam combo.

You honestly use 2% of the Ad Nauseam deck, the rest is just filter filler garbage. It's hideously idiotic to play.

You know a new deck is good when people hate on it

>that takes thought
No deck in Modern takes any thought when compared to say Shardless, DDFT, Miracles and Vintage Mentor. Picking a more complex deck that doesn't have any additional edge in any matchup just for scoring some bragging rights about "how you have to think" is about as retarded as you can get.
>Any Tron variant
>Not the most linear deck this side of Burn

That's some shit inference you got there, senpai.

Great, I love Modern at the moment.

I would just settle for banning all white border only cards. Not sure if reprints are fine to make them legal, but we're all better off without 8ED and 9ED.

Compared to Ad Naus, Eldrazitron takes massive amounts of brain power.

I've never played a deck as boring as Ad Naus. You start to doubt everything because you spent money on filter stupidity to get out your one win con. It's just not fun.

At least playing RG Breach gives you some staples in the manabase and doesn't roll over to any one particular deck.

He's trying to pick a deck to get the most fun out of for a long period of time, I'm not telling him to pick a more complex deck for fucking bragging rights, I'm doing it so he doesn't lose interest in whatever he sinks his cash into
And who the fuck comes into a Modern thread and compares Modern decks to Legacy and Vintage decks?
No shit they're more complicated, but he's asking for a Modern deck in a Modern general

why the hate for white bordered cards? I run them all the time in my decks.

It's mostly about some of the super-dedicated hatecards of that time, mostly Blood Moon, Choke and Boil. Several pros have said they do not fit the "spirit" of modern magic

Personally I don't really mind them nor would I mind if they'd ban them

It makes autists (like 90% of the playerbase) mad. Just mix some white and black bordered lands.

And Ensnaring Bridge
Never forget Bridge

I think they should actually start making borders different colors other than black, maybe to reflect what realm they are from for storyline purposes or what expansion cycle they are from

Red green breach is probably the best choice because you can add to it over time to make it a scapeshift deck. Eldrazi tron wouldnt be bad either, and you could upgrade it to mono blue tron if you want a skill intensive deck.

I'd like this if the lore wasn't pure shit, and now with the gatewatch it's only going to get worse unless they pull off an Evangelion ending or some shit that catches everyone off guard

Second Sunrise because I want to see eggs become a deck again.

Preordain because storm needs a buff and other combo decks could use better cantrip.

Summer Bloom because Amulet Bloom isn't consistent enough to deserve a ban.

Ad Nauseam is a harder deck to play than it looks. You need to know how to play around hate, how to scry correctly, the large number of interactions between cards in your deck, and how to not lose to your own spoils of the vault.

RG Breach has a good manabase that will last you in Modern.

Ad Nauseam will get you wins but it is a combo deck, not a lot of interaction or swinging (I.E. none at all)

Eldrazitron isn't great but there are a lot of Tron variants (not that tron manabase is expensive at all).

All are good choices but I'd personally go for RG Breach since my meta is 80% tron.

I'd really love storm to be a deck again. I always love the puzzle combo decks

Unbanning Seething Song or Rite of Flame would just enable more "lol breach you" memery though. Preordain would also buff Nahiri further and I don't want to see snap get banned

Punishing Fire, Preordain ,BBE

how does Phyrexian Unlife not kill you in Ad Nauseam?

Life loss =! damage

>=!

=/= only correct answer

>Small tournament in my town
>First time playing against good people, nervous as fuck
>Playing Jeskai control
>Buff the shit out my stitchers
>Swing for like 40
>Opponent playing Ad Nauseam casts Angel's Grace
>Oh shit
>Concede
>Later realize I would've left him at 1 life still and could have killed him with a bolt next turn

Usually if your force them to cast angel's grace in combat to survive you are winning as they either have to combo off immediately after or find a replacement combo piece next turn which they usually dont

Combo is SUPPOSED to wreck aggro(which is pretty much all t2+ decks). I hope you can see what's happened since it's ban. Combo is practically non existent, and the meta is over 60% aggro.

Splinter twin wasn't much of a combo deck desu. It was basically ur control with an oops I win spell.

memories of first big events are always painful

>first GP
>playing merfolk
>put a die on my deck to not forget the vial trigger
>opponent passes
>pick up my die
>draw the card
>put the die back on top
>vial still at zero, can't even pretend I intended to do that
>ends up costing me the game

I once fucked up an eggs match 15 minutes into the combo

still haunts me

Veeky Forums told me it was bad, still, I knew it was very good. But I didn't get any because I just don't have the molah.

The only thing I regret is not making profit when I knew I could, because I wasn't about to shell out for Snapcasters and etc.

On another news, I like this picture. Makes her look wrathful and evil, exactly how she is.

I love Nahiri as a character. She's the prettiest Hitler ever

Blazing shoal, bloodbraid elf, and deathrite shaman. Guess which decks I play.

>In roughly one hour, the banlist update will be released

d-did I miss it?

no changes for any format

Esper control is good but it's weak to burn and aggro, so it does not have a good match up against 30% of tier 1 decks. Also it has to compete against jeskai Nahiri, that has better match ups against tier 1 decks. Overall tron nerf favored control but we need either counterspell or top unban, or sfm unban

Wait 'till creative pulls a Nissa on us.

If they don't have anything to ban, they should at least unban something, just for the sake of it. Such dissappointment much rage wow

Kamigawa had some fucking nice art.

>I hate blood moon and tron
Grow up some balls kiddo

Damn Right, all hail azami's familiar

Is there any reason shouldn't just buy my first Modern deck on MTGO?

Tons of games, whenever I want, the ability to pay for more decks with the tickets you earn, and I don't have to smell the guy across from me.

Anyone here strictly online? I would love real cards but I work nights and don't see myself able to do many TCG nights. I also have a family.

What is a good cheap deck ONLINE that can get me hella wins on the cheap?

Dredge?

Hey y'all,

Criticism for my shit brew? Not looking for tier 1, but I'd like to win a few matches. Suggestions? Sideboard advise to give me some better matchups? I just really want to believe in defenders.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-new-fortress-in-town/

dealing with arrogant wankers is part of the price of MTG, MTGO ignores that price and its disgusting

Give me your cockatrice ID, whiteboy. I'll show you the power of esper draw-go

post list please

Feedback on my budget dragonauts list? I'd like to be able to afford something fun, and being a college student, i don't have too much dosh.

The only three cards I really want to keep no matter what are chandra, wee dragonauts, and izzet charm. Feel free to rip me a new asshole if the deck is absolute shit, but keep in mind that I just wanna use this for kitchen table magic and casual FNM.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/some-kind-of-ru-tempo/

Who's your favorite modern-playable planeswalker, Veeky Forums?

Mine's Liliana of The Veil. She's cute. CUTE.

What about you?

I play pretty much just MTGO at this point having sold most of my paper collection, and yeah I'd say Dredge is a good bet.

Though, you are more likely to run into hate than in a local metagame since it's a relatively popular deck. If you just care about winning; Jerkass Nahiri or Jund are obviously good bets. I don't like Infect as much since everyone is ready for it at all times.

It's wafo's list with a non retarded manabase and 2x spellsnare, cba to post it.

I only play online, have Grixis Delver, RG Breach, and UWb Polytokens for fun

Planeswalkers who lend themselves to one specific strategy will always be more interesting than goodstuff walkers.

I think you should use Darksteel Ravager art instead of the MM one.

how i wish that deck was viable in modern

do you know where he posted it?

mtgtop8.com/event?e=12929&d=275271&f=MO

holy shit I used to play this
here's the list (got it off here from a guy I think)

I like White Sun's Zenith here

Absolutely autistic
UW control spergs should all die

Make a room labeled "Competitive" and allow spectators. You should get a few spectators.

While it is fundamentally the same deck, that version (with WSZ and all the Spell Snares) is based on a list Wafo played at GP Boston in 2014.

Its both defensive (triple blocks kill basically everything in the format) and offensive , can occasionally take out a nahiri and it's a recurring wincon

spell snare is so good though, might just be my meta though. Goyfs bobs and eidolons errywhere

Wafo running only 1 spellsnare in his current list is a mistake, as is running only 3 colonnades and so much black mana.

maybe he has had a run of bad luck mana wise , it happens occasionally , like wanting to cast esper charm on turn 3 or 4 but no black , not often though

Depends on your meta.

Ad Nauseam if there's a lack of Infect and Jund or an overabundance of Tron or Valakut decks.

RG Breach/Shift if there's more Jund, Jeskai, and Grixis.

Living End if no one else in your meta plays it or Dredge. That way you can dodge hate.

I'm forcing it, viable or not. It's fun and has a ton of lines of play, I haven't got bored yet. I was thinking about jamming 2-3 Wildfire in with all the artifact mana I have and I thought it would be fun, but not sure if 6 mana sorceries are where I want to be in Modern however fun it would be.

>playing some esper draw-go on cocka
>2-0 against jund
>2-0 against uwr nahiri
>2-0 against living end

Fuck off and go win a GP then.

>esper counted as UW control

>Cockatrice

Secure the wastes does the same job better because of the lessened white requirement. It lets the card be more flexible, if he has nothing else to do he can always just eot secure for a few tokens and catch up. He's even able to play 2 copies, where white sun is always a 1 of and a dead card when you aren't winning the game.