/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Extra turns edition! Hard mode: Cards that aren't mono-Blue.*

*Effects like Last Change or Final Fortune don't count.

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Unfortunately, this is the only card I have that does extra turns, and I haven't touched it in quite a while.

This is a really janky fun card.

Made this just now. This is one of those cards people will hate you for using, isn't it?

Kinda weird to be called a Maro without having a Maro ability.

The combat phase thing is really weird. Why not add an extra combat phase after the first, and you untap each creature you control then? Seems kinda pointless to move combat to an earlier phase.

Last ability is OK I guess, though combining the extra turns with extra combat seems pretty brutal. Not sure of the combination here.

I too am digging this idea.
Phyrexian Mana could also work quite well for Graft and Scavenge costs, don't you think?

God, why did Wizards overcost the shit out of Scavenge?

I think its mainly overcosted on the monocolored cards, though it is rather baffling. I guess they were worried about it being too strong.

I think Phyrexian man's could work well for all sorts of alternate costs. Could stick it on Flashback or Madness for spells, there's a lot of options.

Is there a way to make custom cards for something other than MTG? I have a card game I kind of want to make and test out but it would be nice if there were blank templates somewhere to put the cards on.

>play this
>dump an infinite amount of life with literally any free life outlet for cheap extra turn

Off the top of my head, though, the only good one is Yawgmoth's Will, which is six mana and busted anyway. Treasonous Ogre, maybe?

MSE supports a couple of other card games by default, and there are custom frames available on the website, I believe. Failing that, search for fan-made photoshop templates.

>combat phase before the draw step
that's balls to the wall insane and I love it

I'm pretty certain you can't spend life you don't have.

Reposting from last thread, any thoughts on my reverse sparker?

Yeah...how can a Hammer be a Planeswalker?

Why does a hammer turn into a planeswalker?
What the fuck is Valhalla?
There shouldn't be a period after the first instance of "Indestructible"
Equipment don't become unequipped, they become unattached.
Why does it say 10 loyalty in the bottom right? Do you even know what that does? Oh, let me guess, you don't know why the Origins sparkers have it, do you?

How are you supposed to equip it in the first place? Entering the battlefield doesn't count as "becoming unequipped" AFAIK.
Practically speaking, keeping track of counters whilst flipping a physical card back and forth sounds like a pain.
Flavorfully speaking a planeswalker needs a living soul. Artifacts (with one noticeable exception) have no souls.
Balance-wise, this is one of those swingy cards where it's either never played or breaks a format in half. I don't know which.

Why untapped?

I'm assuming you got it backwards and the right side is meant to be the front?

The sparker template does restrict the order in which cards can be placed, yes. Note the only side with a CMC is the 'walker side.

>Why does a hammer turn into a planeswalker?
You're supposed to cast the Planeswalker side. The implied flavor is supposed to be that Mjolnir planeswalks through the multiverse to find a worthy wielder, then temporarily gives up its spark to aid whomever it's deemed worthy.
>What the fuck is Valhalla
Valhalla - If this creature or a creature dealt damage by this creature would die during a combat phase, exile it instead.
>There shouldn't be a period after the first instance of "indestructible"
>Equipment don't become unequipped, they become unattached.
Thanks.
>Why does it say 10 loyalty in the bottom right? Do you even know what that does? Oh, let me guess, you don't know why the Origins sparkers have it, do you?
Actually, if you look you see you cast it as a planeswalker, so if it didn't have loyalty it would die as soon as it hit the board.
You cast it from its planeswalker side then +0 it.
>Flavorfully speaking a planeswalker needs a living soul. Artifacts (with one noticeable exception) have no souls.
It's supposed to be that Mjolnir planeswalks to find a worthy wielder to hold it.
Balance-wise, this is one of those swingy cards where it's either never played or breaks a format in half. I don't know which.
It's in an early version, and the main I reason I came here for help was to make it more fair and less swingy.
Yeah, I don't have a format that is a flipped version of the sparkers, and I didn't look or try to make my own.

P U S H E D
U
S
H
E
D

It pumps up your creature then roast anything that threatens to block it effectively.

>It pumps up your creature then roast anything that threatens to block it effectively.
What, and it can't do that without specifying untapped?

>If a creature dealt damage by this creature this combat would die, exile it instead.
Really weird, but whatever.

You want to see pushed? I made this while drunk and somehow my sober friends thought it was ok when I ran it by them.

I have no problems with this.

The main change I would make is to have it only get charge counters when you cast a spell. Currently, it basically tithes any spell for free.

How does that last ability even work? I mean, does it literally just need a single untapped permanent on the battlefield for the spell to go uncountered?

Yeah. It's basically a slightly worse force spike.

It also means you can decided to cast counter spells and save the tithing effect so you can stack it when you're out of mana.

That would be amazing in Modern Ad Nauseam

I don't quite get this one. So it's just a worse Journey to Nowhere when used on an opponent's creature, but a weird token generator when use on one of your own?

>unless a player taps an untapped permanent
So they could just tap down your big critter after casting a spell?

>That would be amazing in Modern Ad Nauseam
Ugh... increased mana cost? Have to pay mana to trigger the ability?

At least one of those. As is it's fucking crazy, basically giving you Final Fortune on a stick that triggers when you'd normally lose and also in control colors.

Uh... same mana cost, but when it triggers you have to pay... 3WU? 4WU? What sounds good?

Not quite that much mana. 3 or 4 would be fine.

Oh, colorless? OK.

should probably be
>xyz: Return each permanent on the battlefield to its owner's library, and then each player shuffles their library.
partially so that it's better grammar-wise, partially so that you don't have the possibility of somebody touching a deck they're not supposed to, and partially because that fits what's already been put on similar cards.

cost is a little cheap for a 4/6 with a pure battlefield nuke, and i'm not entirely sure how black or 'colorless' that effect is (or why it needs to be colorless - there's already a few colored artifacts, anyway)
there's a couple of examples for battlefield nukes that you can go off, but i can't remember their names besides mass calcify - there's one that's either green or red that returns everything to their owners' library then makes each player draw that many cards (and then lets them immediately play every land they've drawn) that you can take inspiration from, if needed, especially as far as cost goes.

Oh, I meant 3 or 4 as in 1WU or 2WU. 1WU seems balanced enough, as that would be 6 mana over two instances and also being limited in its scope. For Rickard, citizens should probably be something like 0/1.

I think that's a troll card. I've seen it around before.

ah, fair enough

>tfw no third term
We didn't deserve him.

Trying to make a thing for Aquaman, decided to copy the Jitte, but make it Blue themed. Wait, I should probably make it Blue. Why do I never think of that?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a troll.

>Rip Hunter
Cool. Last question, exiling for this effect is pretty much necessary to prevent it from being completely broken, right?

>Citizens
Actually, the ones that are around are 1/1's (no, I didn't make up the type), but I can change it. Maybe even 0/0's?

I think the guy's ongoing only had 4 issues before it was cancelled. I think he's remembered more for being comic trivia. Kinda like Zoo Crew.

>card
I feel like this is going to ramp up multicolor decks like crazy, but that's just me. Also, it should be
>~'s
Just look at From Under the Floorboards. Because at the end of the day, it's just the name of a single object, the card. It doesn't matter what the name contains, it's still singular.

I got lots of great feedback on the white commons last thread; thanks, anons! I'm gonna go ahead and repost the current iteration of the blue while I continue work on the black.

Journey costs seem really high to me. 4 man's to return something to your hand, and it isn't even immediate? That first card will cost you 8 mana to draw 2 cards.

Seems okay. Depends on how good Ardent Recruit is.

Kidding aside, it seems fine. Good to see spell mastery used for more things.

LOL. Forget something?

first strike doesn't feel dwarfy to me, but vigilance isnt red...

Where'd everyone go?

The exile is immediate and at instant speed, though, which is important to note.

So are most self-bounce effects. They still don't typically cost that much.

Every can in the last thread () is printed in the next set. What decks become prominent in standard?

Could you point me to some of the examples you're thinking of, user? I don't want to overcost it, certainly, but I also worry about undercosting it at common.

So, decided to make a creature that can give your instant and sorcery spells a rough approximation of Overload. How should it be costed?

"Can"? Oh, did auto-correct mess you up?

4 might be a bit overcosted seeing as it's indiscriminate.

Auto correct is my truest enemy.

Wait nvm I can't read.

I don't think this is worded right. The first part would be "If you would discard or exile your hand, you may instead discard or exile all cards from your hand except for a card with the highest converted mana cost." Also seems really, really niche (full discard/exile is rare) and better suited for an enchantment.

Shit.

Well r/w is kinda limited to either first strike/double strike or pumping the team (battle cry)

I think the main one that sprung to mind was Lantern Spirit, though that doesn't have an ETB effect.

I will say that the main concern with having it be too cheap would be allowing for quick repeated castings. I think that's less of an issue here, as exiling it and returning it at the end of the turn means you'll only be able to use it once per turn at best regardless of the effect.

While Lantern Spirit's cost of 1 might be a bit far in the other direction, I think you could potentially get it down to 2 or 3 depending on the effect.

Was just about to say myself that it was better a enchantment. I was hesitant with the wording as I was worried about being wordy.

When you're doing a complex interaction like that, some wordiness will occur. I'm still worried about it being too niche.

Just read the rules on meld and it seems awfully specific. It feels unnecessarily narrow in that you can only meld together cards that explicitly state the name of other cards.

This means there can't be future meld cards where you can just simple say "Meld with X Type" for a dragon rider or team up card, if i'm reading it correctly.

If they do that in the future they'll just make a new mechanic for it.

The problem is that Meld cards have to have the art on the back, because they're wacky DFCs, so there are practical issues with "Meld with a Dragon."

Unfortunately, Wizards rarely lays out rules text that would be nice for us. I had this argument a while back with Champion and multiple creatures, because the rules text for Champion only supports Championing a single permanent.

It's like old Yu-Gi-Oh fusions: too restricted,
Possibly have it protect your highest cmc card from being destroyed.

I'm sure they're balanced with both cards in mind that make up the whole.

Isn't the point of "champion"ing a card that the card becomes a champion? Unless you mean some kind of group/collective champion.

You can't pay life costs if you don't actually have the life to pay it. Just like you can't spend mana you don't have.

It's because the Meld cards each have the full DFC printed on their backsides. Duh. What, you think they should start printing every Dragon with half a DFC on the back?

Well Maro's are just spawns of the will of nature, there's some Maros (already printed) without Maro abilities.

>earlier
Hm no reason other than me prodding at design spaces. I like the idea of attack as soon as you untap. Savage feeling.

>Last
It's really brutal yeah. Totally went over my head that a 6/6 would give free turns all the time. I'll be nerfing the P substantially.

Hell that card is annoying. I can see some really weird deck running it with Mimic Vat + something that untaps Mimic Vat.

This card is so weird. I'd dig it much more in UW because of tribal jank.

And you can't spend life you don't have.

Might be a bit too good as an instant.

> ... if it's not that player's turn
3 mana 3/3 haste trample is already good enough at hybrid. The second ability makes it a rare. The third ability overkills it.

Hm. It certainly looks fun but way weaker than you think, that player can tap your permanents.

A bit too easy to proc as a wincon, but love the idea. Wouldn't be OP if it made tokens get +1/+1.

Why Legendary?

Ayy that's so gud.

You went for DT tokens. Yey :3

>Artificer
>Spell Mastery
>Not Metalcraft
>-1/10

The rules don't support things like "Champion three elves" or "Champion a Dragon and another creature," because they explicitly refer to a single card. My argument was that the expansion of these rules to allow for multiple championed cards (i.e. three elves) wasn't an egregious breach of design, but there are some strict originalists in this thread that have the view that any card that requires a rules change to support it is haram.

>Palladia, Planeswalker
>Wrong colors

come on dude

For the -4, you don't need the word "another" since you're already referring to it (which you control) and a creature your opponent controls. Also that -7 is really underwhelming, especially for an 8 mana walker. I could actually extend that to most of the card.

Now this is nice and spicy

Also, your Palladia is hilariously weak. If I'm paying 8 mana, of three colors, for a planeswalker, and her big minus doesn't A: win the game, or B: put me in a position to immediately win within the next two turns or so, you've done something VERY wrong.

Might as well post the rest of my Dragonwalkers while I'm here.

I tried to keep them roughly on the same power scale as Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, while keeping them roughly balanced a: on their original color philosophies and b: on their original abilities (except Chromium, fuck Rampage), but I'm not the best at balance (I'm more of an ideas guy). I've been looking to receive feedback on them for a while so anything you'd like to dish out would be appreciated.

Do you need that "each of your turn's end phase" bit? Wouldn't "At the beginning of your end step" be a bit cleaner? Like the ability though.

Also, like Bolas did, I tried to have at least one "7" reference in them (more if possible).

So first thing, none of their + abilities are balanced. Nicol has his straight up destroy a noncreature permanent, which can be pretty crazy, while Vavictis' one can end a game, Palladia's is pretty much weaker than Ugin's, Arcades' is really meh, and Chromium's is sort of interesting. Their -2s are also pretty out of balance, Chromium and Palladia's are comparable, yet Palladia's is better in almost all situations, the only places where Chromium's is better being emergency draw/lifegain or preservation for your ult (which isn't really needed, if you're doing that you're in a winning position already). Arcades' is ok, but again Vaevictis is fucking crazy by offering a one sided partial nuke for -2. The -9s are all pretty powerful, I like Palladia's, Vaevictus' can straight up kill your opponent, Sabboth's is a bit of a delayed win and more vulnerable than the others', and Chromium's is really fucking cool.

I... am pretty sure this is an awful decision. How right am I?

Pretty awful. Needs an upkeep cost to it of some form or it's too powerful a lockdown at 4 CMC.

>Shut down each non-vigilant creature until it's dealt with
Seems really annoying and can grind games to a halt if it somehow gets hexproof or shroud, or just if your opponent doesn't have removal. Imagine equipping Lightning Greaves to that thing.

Taken on board. Now more removable and more work-aroundable. I think?

...and I borked the wording. Excellent work, self. Ability now reads "Creatures don’t untap during their controller’s untap step unless their controller pays 2 for each creature they untap this way."

Seems ok now. At least you can bolt it.

dune drifter is slightly OP for draft, better than elvish visionary for non elf decks by a lot, very good chump blocker.
The flavor text of summoned servant doesn't work with the card, the card only wanders when you want it too.
Palace slaves are terrible, still think '5 or over cmc' is silly but a card really shouldn't too much worse than deranged assistant, even with mana dorks getting weaker, I'd suggest making it add 2 mana and making it a 1/2. I also don't really understand how it is supposed to be blue on any level.
Adherent of knowledge is cool.
From all angles has 'gains flying' and 'cannot be blocked' which feel very redundant for a sorcery.
Impress obedience is cool, I feel like it could stand to be a bit cheaper and be an uncommon, but it could be fine as is.
Pretty awful yeah, it *could* work with it either (or both) giving your opponents/all players an activated ability to untap their guys or it coming with some way to off itself (vanishing, cumulative upkeep).
If it had an upkeep of 'tap an untapped creature you control' or something similar that would be really cool, although even then, you'd likely need something to prevent it from becoming a creature version of stasis.

>Rip Hunter
Changed. Here's the latest version.

>Prez Rickard
I really don't get how having twice as many creatures as all your opponents combined is easy, but OK.
>Wouldn't be OP if it made tokens get +1/+1.
Not sure on changing the ability to buff all tokens. Maybe. I've actually downgraded it so it still has the lord ability for Citizens, but they are made as 0/0's.

>Ra's
You're welcome.

You could just make it so that each player can't untap more then one creature or something.

Does this land seem good for common or should I nerf it a bit?

You're joking, right? Repeatable 1-mana land search?

ooh oops, forgot the sacrifice. I'm dumb

Technically still doesn't work, because "end the turn" effects like Time Stop still have a cleanup step, and state-based actions are checked during the cleanup step.

If, for example, you have Rip Hunter and then get bolted to -1 health, you replace the first game loss SBA, move to cleanup step because you're ending the turn, and then get another game loss SBA due to your health still being -1, all before the extra turn that you can't lose in.

"Fixed" Does it need additional downsides?

How about now?

Also, for being niche, how good would it to protect the highest CMC card in your hand?

Yes, it needs a downside, as it currently does not have one.

Disagree with the design theory of R&D if you like, but generally they try not to print lands that can be for the most part considered straight up upgrades to basic lands.

Got it. It ETBs tapped now.

The idea is that he teleports away, then comes back. And on the way, he can grab another guy to take with him, and grab someone else to take back.

This guy was actually kinda funny in X-Force. Just a small-time crook with teleportation powers, he gets recruited to the X-Force. After they give him an inoperable brain tumor. Shaped like the X-Men logo. Best part, much later, he coughing up blood and thinks he's dying, demands to be cured. Guy who gave him the tumor tells him he's already cured of the tumor, he's coughing up blood because of an STD.