The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!

Previously: Pre-release was okay, ranking planeswalkers power-level with a number is hard and confusing, pls no phyrexian flakes, how does black into hero?, I continue to be angel-Hitler.

Previous thread: Writefagging last time:
More Matricide teasers REMINDER:

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JsMcC4PG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Honey, you keep missing writefaggings.

So I'm gonna start (legitimately) writing Belloski's story today, so watch out for that.

FUCK

Sorry Thane!
I did another sweep before I posted and I still missed it.

It's ok. You're adorable when you make mistakes.

> being this adorable

>the cathar kills spider mom
>Serena kills owl mom
>they both try to kill coma mom as a tiebreaker

And then they make babbies. Or failing that they just hold hands.

>l-lewd
>I like it.

They are both defeated by the Dastardly Duo.

>but Will beat them to it
Yaaaay matricide!

Her stated reasoning was that planeswalkers are dangerous and should not interfere. It's not a code planeswalkers share, but one that she believes she should follow, even if for academic reasons which makes her at least a little white

Nah senpai, Team Vengeance will reign supreme.

With that logic, then she should have always been w/u.

I... I like you.

Don't worry. That's a temp pastebin. I was looking for feedback on my writing so I could improve it before I made a permanent one

Did Murdy draw that?

Exactly, but let's face it, at the time they made her as an experiment "What if we made a planeswalker who was completely unrelated to the plane they were introduced on?"
Maro or someone on the old site literally said so in one of their design things.

WHY DO ALL THE MOMS KEEP DYING????

I-I...I think I need to call my mom...

Too late. Angel Hitler got her too.

Yes.

>The Cathar and Serena are just racing each other killing all of the moms in the competition.

Since there was so much talk about color identity last thread, let's have another topic along those lines. Explain to me why your flake(s) is the color(s) that they are. What personality traits/personal history do they have that makes them thise colors?

To be a mom in the flake thread is to be an angel in mtg: needless suffering amd death.

Good thing they haven't started killing dads yet[/spoilet]
like no joke, one of my flakes is a father who has lost their child
This is why I'm now saving my motherly character for next blizzard.
Also, if a Planeswalker mother planeswalked with her unborn child, would the kid be kill?

I don't think the baby would be harmed since it is physically connected to her.

>A mono white angel mom appears.

It only happens to Gaia's mom characters because I guess she hates mothers. Feel free to have a mother flake, I don't make a habit of flakicide.

>That mom is Serena

Wearing a red shirt?

I mean... She has got the hips for it

That she has.

Are leonin only lions, or are there tigers and panthers? Could there be black leonin?

>a meteor of foreshadowing lands on her head

To be fair, I don't hate moms. I love my mom. But I think some part of my brain views motherhood as innately tragic and beautiful.

Depends on the Plane.

As far as I know, they are lions, tigers, and leopards. There might possibly be a cheetah, don't know.

Ajani's brother was a Tiger and I believe Mirri was a Jaguar.

Mirri is simply referred to as catfolk.
If you just mean cat people in general, there can be many types but the Leonin tend to be lions.
One thing to note is the Nacatl who integrated into Bant society after the conflux started calling themselves Leonin.
So I would be willing to accept a panther leonin on the basis of the differences being more social than genetic.

if you're from Mirrodin you're a lion, if you're from Naya/elsewhere you have more leeway.

If you're from mirrodin, you're probably compleated.

why you gotta hurt me this way.

>Nishal's face when

>Nishal: "P...Pappa?"

Speaking of, how would Nishal react to Esper being Phyrexia-lite?

disregarding the fact that he's travelling with a person from Esper, they're very different places. On Esper you get to choose whether you want metal or not - it's not forced on you. The big difference is that Esper's bossy and Phyrexia is subjugating.

I mean, you don't have to get metal on Esper if you like being a weak second class citizen or something.
I'm sure the slums are lovely this time of year.
Besides, there are those looking to change that.

I'm wondering how common it is for planeswalkers to withhold the identity of their homeplane from other walkers.

Actually, it's very common. Most Planeswalkers know that other Planeswalkers are not good for a plane and tend to cause more problems than solutions.

Or, you know, not? Because not every planeswalker CARD shows the full color identity of the planeswalker. Jace is not a mono-U character; he's UW, and Maro has, in fact, stated as much. Power sets don't always align with their full color identity; they just shouldn't have cards that are outside of their color identity. See also: Ajani.

That's literally a dumb reason not to make them have the right colors.

No, it's really not. Gameplay IS actually important. Lore is also important, but good gameplay is going to have to trump lore if it comes down to it. Consistency in power set and developmental concerns both have to be taken into account when designing walker cards.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to keep one character card certain colors when you can change other characters or make new ones to better represent the colors a character actually is. It's just lazy as all fuck.

All characters are simplified or twisted around in order to make them the colors that are present on their cards.

If shown at their full complexity, every person in the MtG setting would be every single color. In order to narrow them down, a hell of a lot of emphasis has to be placed on very specific traits. With the right amount of logic-wrangling, you could argue that Nicol Bolas should be white-green and sort of get away with it.

Tamiyo's Bant because she had to be in order to be featured and the lore can be twisted and her character can be wrangled to make her look Bant, if you really want to do it.

Keep in mind that the pw uniqueness rule is meant to be a limiter. If Tami was thr mono blue walker in SOI, you could play her along side baby jace or another jace which could be problematic for formats.
Mtg is a game first, which means mechanics will almost always beat fluff.

Gaia, I think you have a skewed vision of what foreshadowing means.

It's possible.

>getting stabbed by the knife of foreshadowing knife wounds.

to be fair, that's not entirely wrong.
A character could have survived a knife wound in its past, remarking that it acts up under times of stress, which could be used later during a chase, in which the wound inhibits the character from escaping or successfully catching.

I meant it's possible I have a skewed sense of what the word "foreshadowing"means. I am agreeing with you.

So is the flake sheet thing at the top ever updated or is whoever was doing that done with it?

I'm not sure, if it still updates then it's very infrequently.

Since Gaia promised to make a new sheet featuring only new flakes, I won't be updating it any longer.

Ah. That makes sense, and sounds like there's about to be a massive purge of the old and inactive coming soon. A shame but these things happen.

Not quite. New flakes as in, only flakes that have been made since the last update. So, literally none featured in the OP or following image.

>guess who's been a lazy fuck

Preview time

Dusk had fallen over Thalmund, the fading light illuminating the castle’s gilded roof for the last time that day. The drawbridge that crossed over the river was lifted, keeping the citizens within safe from the bandit hordes that stalked the lands at night. For most people, crossing the bridge at this hour was impossible.
The cloaked figure walking towards Thalmund was not most people. With a wave of the hand, the drawbridge fell, allowing him entrance. It raised behind him, leaving the guards who had not even touched the winches dumbfounded. As he walked through the marketplace, civilians looked away in fear. As he entered the halls that led to the king’s throne, guards dared not to get in his way. As he entered the throne room, the warrior king arose to meet the interloper, one hand by his blade.

If you're not going to go through with it, say so. I've stopped saving sheets people have been making so the sooner I know if you aren't going to be doing it, the better.

I completely intended to. But I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. There isn't enough time in the day.

Incidentally, it's been over a week since I updated the repo. I'll do that as soon as I get home.

A typical update usually takes an hour for every ten new flakes, although I've had a little practice. You can easily shave off half an hour through not needing to rearrange over a hundred flakes in alphabetical and color order. And considering you're getting people to make their mini-profiles themselves rather than reading their sheets and making them yourself, I'm certain that you could cut the time spent in half.

It's something that can easily be done if you get a short space of time to just sit down and work on something. I see no reason for it to take more than an hour of your time at the very most. But then, I imagine you've got things you'd much rather be doing.

It's not a matter of I don't have the time, and more a matter of priority. Do I have a solid 5-7 hours of time between work and bed? You betcha. But I also have a lot on my plate irl, atm. And I've been spending my "flake time" actually making content lately as opposed to being responsible.

Also, 30 minutes? Damn. Either you're a god or I'm a pleb.

>'Either' 'or'
>not just 'and'

for real though we here in the thread greatly appreciate the work you do decide to put into this, even if it isn't the thing you have most focus on.

We've all got priorities, I get that. An hour is an hour though and if there's time to spare writing stories and drawing pictures for the snowstorm, there's time to spare on fulfilling the responsibilities you said you'd go through with.

And no, not a god. I'm just autistic enough to have bothered making the snowstorm sheet in the first place and I've gotten a little practice at it. It's a little bit freeing to not have to save and read every profile to the point where I can summarize it though, much less cringing and being driven to drink on my part.

When you do get around to working on it some more, just let the thread know and we'll happily give our pre-made snowsheets.

Would a flake based on Audrey 2 make sense in jund colors? Just a mean green mother from another plane who's bad?

>An hour is an hour though and if there's time to spare writing stories and drawing pictures for the snowstorm, there's time to spare on fulfilling the responsibilities you said you'd go through with.
There really isn't. It's either one or the other. And lately, I've chosen the other. Once I'm done helping my parents move, my in-laws move, and moving myself, it'll be easier to do both. Aaand when we're done with this month's demo.

>being driven to drink on my part
A drink sounds fantastic, right about now.

It's just a question of whether you'd rather fulfill the responsibility you've given yourself or whether you'd contribute content. You have the time for the thread, you're just placing it on other things.

Not saying anything's wrong with that but the time is there, you're just making choosing to devote to one thing rather than another.

>you're choosing to devote to one thing rather than the other
That's what she just said, friendo. She just openly said she's been spending her flake time making content instead of updating the sheet. This is getting redundant.

And I'm just saying that's what I just meant in the first place, so it's been redundant for a while.

Welcome to Veeky Forums, where everything said by anyone will not be read in the proper context.

Again, you can make new or older characters as the colors you need for a format that better represent those colors. You don't have to force a character into colors they do not fit into. You can have the Jace card named literally anything and it doesn't change the game. You can name the Tamiyo card as Jace and literally not change the format. Names are irrelevant for the game. This is just WotC being dumb and lazy as fuck.

>not "sensible 'Makrul"

Feel free to edit it in yourself and I'll save it, friendo.

Oh right, I almost forgot you literally have shit for brains.

Then hoe is my statement incorrect?

now now, this is no place for namecalling

Names are how cards in the game recognize eachother and enables limits on the number of cards in decks or on the battlefield at the same time.
They make a new walker, not only is how special the spark is being undermined, but then the restrictive rules put there as limiters on the power level wouldn't work.

For some reason, you're acting as if gameplay and lore are totally separate. The two interact and inform one another, and I don't understand why you're having so much trouble understanding this.

It's not lazy; they are working within constraints that for some reason you don't seem to be aware of.

Sure, if WOTC were just a bunch of lazy people posting their flakes to /tg they could get away with anything, because any walker can be given any lore-appropriate colors in isolation, but not when they are dealing with a) developmental concerns, b) story of the block and which characters have been around recently concerns, c) consistency of power set between different cards. It's a much harder problem than I feel you're giving it credit for.

REPO UPDATED. MAKE SURE IT'S ALL THERE.

Here's a list of all the things that got pruned before I saved them:

Flakepoint 1st trailer
Laurela's flakesheet
Flakepoint Leon story
Vronak's new 5-color flakesheet
Messenger's Witches flakesheet
Rayed flakesheet
Flakepoint Diomedes, Belloski, and Leon cards
Ignan card
New Gaia Cards
New Belagir card
New Kaya card
Maris Flakesheet
Ignan Eldritch Moon Trailer

I'm SOOOOOORRRYYYYYY

What about the second trailer?

I thought I got it. Should be under FLAKEPOINT in the writefaggings.

I don't check the repository.

>what is 4plebs

Check 4pleabs or the archive.moe, hooter.

anywho, here's the first flakepoint trailer

You can have four copies of any card in a deck. So, the limitation of naming them all Jace is only makes a difference for from having two different ones in play at the same time. Otherwise it makes absolutely no difference. Sure, that makes a difference, but only slight considering I can have any Jace and any Tamiyo in play at the same time. Naming cards is very minuscule in the game format, doesn't stop me from having four of each card in my deck if need be.

I'm not acting like they are separate. I'm pointing out that the lore of a character's personality and attributes do not always reflect the colors of their cards. And there is no reason to not make the next u/w Planeswalker card Jace. They choose not to do this because he is their poster boy for Blue. That is all.

You're incorrect on a couple of counts here. The entire time I have been arguing specifically that, while the card may not reflect ALL their colors, it won't reflect colors that they do not have. They strongly considered making Jace UW in RTR, but it was decided not to do so to avoid confusing people about him joining the Azorius. Not to mention the difficulty of keeping a consistent power set while migrating him to a set of new colors, so no, that's not "all"; it's just one point in favor of keeping him mono-U.

You really are acting like they're separate because you keep saying that the only reason that the full color identity is not shown EVERY TIME is that WOTC is "lazy", which is patently untrue.

Fucking. Stop. Just don't reply to him.

Your second paragraph doesn't mean that I see or "act" like the two are separate. And not making Jace u/w because people are dumb with their conclusions is a dumb reason not to do something. Because no one on Ravnica can be w/u without being a member of Azorius?

Also, saying that I'm incorrect is in itself incorrect. Both sides of what we are making points for are just our opinions. Bother of us are right or wrong in our arguements. I think they are being lazy and can do a better job. A lot of people would agree with me. You think the opposite is true. And a lot of people would agree with you.

Quit being antagonizing.

Here's some old content from the last storm
pastebin.com/JsMcC4PG

Aww. I messed up that pic. I'll just have to redo it.