/btg/ - BattleTech General

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Love and respect edition

Old Thread: ================================================

Combat Manuals Kurita
mediafire.com/download/l317qcmc9i81744/E-CAT35261_BattleTech_Combat_Manual_Kurita.pdf

Campaign Operations
mediafire.com/download/b7e9bgevanjxf3y/E-CAT35007_Campaign_Operations.pdf

TtS McEvedy's Folly
mediafire.com/download/0i6ldp6u1qxbfh5/E-CAT35SN209_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_McEvedys_Folly.pdf

================================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

mwomercs.com/forums/topic/226616-cyclops-faq/
youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4
mediafire.com/download/2dhew0roogcv28p/35000 - BattleTech Master Rules (Revised).pdf)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ha ha time for butte holding

Make Butte Hold Great Again!

Everybody must be at work.

I love Jim Holloway's Battletech paintings and illustrations. It might have something to do with his having illustrated Paranoia for West End Games.

Oh man...that Stalker. Love the action but geeze....

couldn't unsee

yeah, he's alright.

>yeah, he's alright.

He also painted the Archer on the cover of the old Citytech box. His mechs sure like to crash through walls!

Yeah it is pretty slow

What are some must-haves for my Marik assault company?

Awesomes, Stalkers, Archers, Albatross

>Albatross
must resist urge to meme

Grand Titan and Sirrocco too.

If you go as far as Dark Age, the Juliano is pretty badass.

Heavies do have a place in assault companies, so I fail to see the issue.

It has begun.

Serious question: The Combat Manual: Kurita book shows artwork and miniatures of re-designed "unseen" mechs ( which are awesome looking ). Are there plans to release these new models in the near future?

>Are there plans to release these new models in the near future?
Yes, it's just taking CGL a long time because they have fuck all for resources to get the minis out

Thank you!

> btg often refers to smoke jaguars as best clan and defends their history
> check them up on sarna
> it's literally made up of dindu nuffins, pavement apes, we wuz wurll staaarr leeg and comically slanty asians
> its quite frankly clan knee growths or clan affirmative action

Oh I get it! /btg/ telling us dey gud bois, goin' to innah sphea to get dey life back on track. Needin' mo' money fo' dem mech programs!

Funny stuff guys!

yes
Iron Wind Metals will release Ostscout and Shadow Hawk later this year, no word on Marauder or Warhammer

Steady on lads, don't fall for the/pol/ troll

The one I'm most hyped for is probably the Thud, too bad we haven't seen a mini yet

Thats some low quality bait there friendo

I really want to see what shim'll do to unfuck the other Osts

Does any artist decide whether the archer has its head on the top or the front of the center torso?

All you've done is make me want to roll up a Smoke Jag remnant named Khajit.

IN THE BEGINNING... it was on the top of the CT, despite being on the front of the nose in the TRO art. If what Shimmy's comments about using some of his old work as the basis are true, the new Archer will have its cockpit on the nose too.

Correct. In macross it's on the top, in my design it's in the nose. So nose be canon now.

we have seen the new Archer already

Now if only shimmy shams could update that Cyclops in the background

thank God for DA Cyclops

4e introbox already did that, though.

yes

I like big commander mechs and I cannot lie

God I love that big shiny visor. The whole set of 4E box redesigns is awesome.

The Albatross is an assault though

nah, the Albratross is a solid heavy

They sure picked a strange one to add into the game.
Is there anything it can possible hope to do in MWO? At all?
Plus, it kind of defeats the purpose to get rid of its backpack, does it not?

>BRZ-C3
>An upgrade of the Berserker that makes use of a Light Fusion Engine and a C3 network, the C3 variant removes both of the Large Pulse Lasers and one Double Heat Sink. In their place, six ER Medium Lasers and a C3 Slave unit have been added. The 'Mech removes the MASC system and relies on Triple Strength Myomer. When operating in the proper heat range the 'Mech is able to move at speeds similar to that of the A3 model and can do a dramatically higher amount of damage with its Hatchet

Why did no one tell me this was a thing?

>All Cyclops variants come equipped with a Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer in place of the standard Sensor suite.
>This Battle Computer boosts the Sensor Range of not just the Cyclops, but any allied 'Mechs within range.
>For full details regarding the Battle Computer, consult the General Question section of the Cyclops FAQ.

mwomercs.com/forums/topic/226616-cyclops-faq/

I don't play MWO, so I can't say how useful this quirk is. Their quirk system can make shit mechs really shine, though. There was a time the Quickdraw was the best mech in the entire game because they fucked up its quirks

youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4

>Why did no one tell me this was a thing?
Because it's fucking terrifying.

Because you don't use SPAs often enough. The C3 Berserker is banned from having Melee Master on my table without a damn good reason or a campaign.

Not him, but I've always found SPAs too bullshit in general to ever use.

Look up the Wolverine variants while you're at it.

I use them on commander mechs for scenarios, though depending on the scenario in question, it can get silly. Like Maneuvering Ace on a Dire Wolf.

For whomever in the last thread that was wondering how big the hexes in the Ogre Designer Edition were, they're 1.5" across from flat to flat. The ones from my BT intro box set are 1.25".

Derp, true, though my final lineart will have a few more changes. That cover was done based on a WIP update.

hey, shimmy
how's your kickstarter project doing?

how come you moved all four MLs to the arms?

Because he's an MWO shitter. It's still a fatass though Shimbo.

Even the MWO base art Archer just has two arm lasers though. I was assuming it was a field refit.

IIRC, he said he forgot the laser placement and just put them there. I'm triggered more by the Dragoons one doing the same thing, because Spooky just sort of lazily copied the original art.

Hilariously the coloring of the lasers on that one makes it look like it's got a Large Laser in the head (possibly two, angle makes it ambiguous) and four Small Lasers in the arms.

>how come you moved all four MLs to the arms?
Because that's an ARC-2W? Although why it has 2 lasers in the arms instead of one beyond me - maybe a false flag? (the -2W drops both rear lasers entirely, but this one isn't firing the bottom pair).
Later 'Goons models drop the lasers entirely for arm-mounted SRMS, so it can't be one of those, and supposedly the 'Goons only used their own variants so it's unlikely to be a modified -2S.

Basically Spooky fucked up on the lore, but that's not exactly surprising..

>caring about lore details in art
the picture looks cool and that's all that matters

That's.. really, really badly-composed. It looks like two drunk brothers posing in boxing shorts with lasers photoshopped in by one of those fucking carnival photo booths.

Ugh. Looks like that 90s Battletech Saturday morning cartoon.

"Refuse your WHAT?"

That path leads to madness.

Sadly shelved until I finish up this BT classics stuff, I suck at multi tasking.

Hilarious goofs on CGL's part. Several of my original redesigns have completely non-canon loadouts, such as MML's, ML's, and a PPC on the archer.
When they ordered the cover from Spooky apparently no one addressed the weapons, and I wasn't consulted.
My lineart wont have this issue, and the mini will have the proper butt lasers.

Rear mounted weapons in MWO would be nifty, instead of a light behind a Direwolf being a death sentence.

So do I just have shit luck or does megamek heavily favor bot players?

I can't seem to land a single shot unless the TN is like or less 3 and will still miss half the time while the bots always seem to consistently get 10+ rolls.

I almost got completely wiped in an ATB campaign because in one mission where I outgunned and outnumbered the AI it took out 3/4 of my fucking lance with through armor crits blowing up ammo.

It was always canon, just now there isn't Macross art muddying the waters. Though going by what you talk about in , some of the same spotty direction that lead to the confusion in the first place is still around.

Shit luck, of a sorts. The RNG does occasionally seem to enter a pattern like that, but not always in favor of the bot. You could also try using one the other RNG options, though it isn't something you can change in the middle of a game.

Sorry to hear your Ranger Project has had to be put aside. Was beginning to wonder since I haven't seen an update email in a while.

what are my staple Davion rides?
Aside from the Enforcer, Centurion, Valkyrie, JagerMech and Dervish.

Devastator, Nightstar, Sagittaire, Warlord, Dragon Fire, Falconer, Penetrator, RACshasa, Wolfhound, Osiris, Javelin.

they seem to like warhammers sometimes, in the capellan march, you'll find lots of cataphracts, and the Watchman is very common in the Draconis march. the cestus is found along the periphery border commonly and is reasonably common in general, the Archer is quite common, as is the Marauder. plenty of shads and griffins should show up (and not all -Ds, either),some thuds would probably show up, and the occasional Lineholder.

just rebuilt desktop, going to start a new AtB campaign to celebrate. where/when should I start?

You're also missing all the best Clan rides from that list. VSD and Morgan had Daishis after all, so all Clan rides are also Davion staples. Additionally, because FedSuns Stronk, they don't get any of the shitty ones.

Age of War tank mercs, 2440s.

Because everybody tries to build up an test their mettle when the Clans hit, so instead see how long you can last before the Big Mack shows up.

>"Hey, how big is the Mackie again? Like five hundred feet tall, right? I'll just make it like five hundred feet tall."

It was a different age, the Age of (no) Scale. One that continued until fairly recently.

I mean, the scale technically existed, but few paid attention.

>Does any artist decide whether the archer has its head on the top or the front of the center torso?

I suspect Holloway's reference for the Citytech Archer () was a larger-scale model where the detail of the cockpit and head-mounted lasers were clearly visible. He might have had access to one of the 1/72 scale Destroid Spartan models, or possibly some of Yoshiyuki Takani's artwork reproduced at a size where he could discern details not present on the Ral Partha miniature version.

Are the new Combat Manuals worth checking out if I don't play Alpha Strike?

The formations are handy for setting up forces for a normal BT game, since RATs are messy when you just want a fire lance or something real quick, though of course you'd have to work out the BV yourself/via MUL, since they only give Alpha Strike PVs. They even have dual setups for late SW and the early Clan Invasion. Also some force rules and stuff that can be used for standard BT too.

Otherwise it's kind of like a condensed houesebook/FM, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not much there a long time player hasn't seen before.

Not that user, but I'd also like to add that it is a decent source for the state of the DCMS as of 3053 or so. If you're into that sort of thing, it's useful as a quick source to DCMS losses in the Clan Invasion.

Is the Bombast Laser good for anything, or should I shelve my dreams of making a Mega Man 'Mech?

>Large laser that weighs an extra two tons just so you can 12 damage with a +3 to hit
It's a Solaris gimmick. No more, no less.

>Is the Bombast Laser good for anything
Not really.

>or should I shelve my dreams of making a Mega Man 'Mech?
False dichotomy. Just buy it a capped SNPPC or HPPC. I'd go with the Snubbie, but I have an unholy love of low-end 'Mechs and you may prefer something less fragile.

For the tonnage I think there are better options, but there are a few things in its favour.

It does offer direct heat tuning, which could be useful on something with TSM, it can get to the headcap threshold against normal opponents, and there are ways to overcome the to-hit penalty (TC/AES, Quirks, SPAs, Careful Aim).

So let's say the dark reaper comes to you and challenges you to a game of classic bt, 6000 BV, basic rules, any era, random map, mechs only. If you loose he claims your life. What do you play?

Do I need any books other than the book in the introductory box?

Total warfare and the record sheets/readouts the "X operations" books are optional

Need, no.

While the Introductory rule set is fun eventually it can get stale and Total Warfare/Tech Manual will open up a lot more options to play around with. It's worth getting those if you plan to stay with the game.

Thanks, I'll check out the pdfs.

Either clan pulse boats or as many Stingers as possible

I would say if you want to move up from the intro box that the old BattleTech Master Rules (mediafire.com/download/2dhew0roogcv28p/35000 - BattleTech Master Rules (Revised).pdf) are a lot more concisely written and laid out than TW/TM. TW/TM does introduce more tech, but the BMR will make the more advanced rules a *lot* more accessible.

Oh man, for the most part all I knew about clan Wolverine was that they were "that clan that was wiped out before pretty much anything else in the story happened" so I decided to read up on them real quick

Unless Sarna is biased or something it really makes the rest of the clans sound like absolute jackasses about the whole ordeal, as it seems like they were basically throwing a tantrum because the wolverines used practical military tactics, didn't ascribe to what was effectively their religion, and had slightly better tech.

Also, most of the stuff in the BMR remains the same through the current TW ruleset, aside from things like AMS, MASC, and partial cover, etc.

Welcome to the wonders of Blaine Lee Pardoe, user.

As a non expert on the lore I feel like the clans really really vary in their portrayal a lot. Sometimes they're honorable but flawed and have systemic problems but ultimately function.

Other times they seem like literal retards moments away from self destructing.

Yep. There are a lot of Clans that do the former... but there are also a lot that do the latter. Sometimes they can do both in the same novel/SB.

Nothing but savannah masters.

Wow, you lost before the game started, impressive!

>it really makes the rest of the clans sound like absolute jackasses
It shouldn't have taken learning about Wolverine to realize this.

hundreds of cargo variant ferrets. climb them up high, then drop them onto his 'mechs heads.

>mechs only
d'oh
cheapest, jumpiest mechs i can get, then push his mechs off the map, or use kick as much as possible

If you had to hold a position against a full battalion of scorpions with only a single lance of (inner sphere tech) mechs, which would you bring?
Assume all four pilots are Elite, with one SPA each of your choice

What kind of scorpions? Vanilla? SRM boat? AC/2?

If there's no AC/2 ones then I just grab a lance of vanilla Maulers and go to town until they're all motive critted to pillboxes.

I mean, I could probably get away with a lance of Dragon 1C's, or some Jagermechs or Blackjacks, maybe even Vulcans or Clints, but I never get a chance to drive Maulers.

4 Awesomes, each pilot has Sniper

kek