Time to confess your gaming sins Veeky Forums, it's good for the soul

Time to confess your gaming sins Veeky Forums, it's good for the soul.

>I "automate" all random encounter tables.
>So instead of getting a roll, and facing 1d6 bugbears or whatever, you get a roll, and I read off a little blurb that says "Attacked by bugbears, Lose W health, X spells/consumeables/other depending on system, get Y treasure and Z XP.
>Just run roughshod over players who don't like the system, or tell them to leave if it bothers them that much.

Are you trying to turn your game into Progress Quest? Holy shit.

>I once purposely and discretely introduced waifu-bait type NPCs in a campaign so I could sniff out my player's magical realms so that I could avoid them in the future.

Turns out my players are all fairly vanilla compared to the other groups I use to run for.

I once forced my players to play 4e.

The first time I GMed, I ran Scion. There's more, but that's the worst of it.

The general idea goes as follows

>I want to have what random encounters are usually billed as: A tax on the players abilities to stick around in a hostile environment.
>However, actually rolling, setting up models and the tactical mats, sitting through everyone figuring out how they want to fight, etc. drags things to a crawl.
>Hence, you take damage, you get a bit of loot/xp as compensation, we're good to go to things that matter.

Why not just use the environment and limited provisions for that? Like, Giant Woodlice got into your food stores, you have two days worth of food left.

That's fucking boring.

I false-critted a girl in my group because she wouldn't go out with me. She was like 16 at the time. She'd had a druid with lots of cute animals, she was really enjoying the campaign too. She actually cried when her character died, but didn't blame me because (1) I had acted really chill when she said no, and (2) I waited a full five months before enacting my revenge.

She ended up quitting the campaign a while later after I gas-lighted her into thinking that she had ruined the campaign, when in reality it had really just fallen apart due to scheduling issues.

I know I should feel bad about it, but honestly I feel absolutely nothing.

I'm absolutely addicted to stressing my players out. I place real-time limits on things, place emotional stress on the more comfortable roleplayers, use props they have to handle, give them puzzles to solve. I enjoy seeing them panic and thus inject some actual feeling into what is normally just chilling out and poking minis.

I felt glad when the group secretly told me the other GM was just turning the game into a miniature CRPG, going so far as to announce "A group of X has spawned".

For a group used to play such things as Fiasco, Pulse and other pure storytelling games, having their RPG turned into a PnP videogame was nightmare.

I don't think he intends it to be interesting. It sounds like he intends it to be a cursory thing that happens while you're travelling to the place the session's actually about. "Along the way, this happened, but it wasn't important."
This makes it into a minor fight where nobody died and you probably won't even mention it when you tell the tale of this adventure when/if you get back to town.

you absolute madman

The worst part was that she was one of those girls who got really attached to characters, she refused to play in our zombie apocalypse campaign because she got attached to characters, and we told her it was going to be like Walking Dead where characters were liable to die a lot. She also admitted she cried over characters dying in Harry Potter when she read it... at age 14.

So yeah I guess it was a dick move. She was kind of cute, too, we knew her from school, she was the (much) younger sister of one of the friends of our group (he didn't play D&D himself though but obviously his sister was more interested)

I cannot stop criticising GMs in my head when playing, thinking about how I would do things differently.

I schmooze and get in good with GMs so they'll let me get away with things and character concepts that they would not permit with others, I do this because I really do believe I'm than them and can handle what they can't.

I seek to become group leader in a covert or overt way because most players are directionless and I don't like wasting my game time waiting for them to get better.

I really do want to meet a group of driven role-players that know what they want melts my heart and will create a wonderful campaign with me as there referee and guide. Until such a time I will continue to assume the role of the caring but unforgiving taskmaster for my groups as that is all they can be trusted with.

I fill games with blatant waifubait NPCs. My players have not yet realised I do this because I never have the waifubait NPCs pursue them.

It makes me feel really good when I hear about other games that my players are in falling apart, or hear them complaining about other GMs.

My players are mine. Other GMs can fuck off.

My first time attempting to GM, my game pitch was basically "you're heroes, write me a plot". Three people submitted unrelated plots that I couldn't figure out how to pick between, stitch together, or drive the PCs onto, and the game never got off the ground.

I don't actually know all the rules, I just do what makes sense. I'm the GM.

Sounds like you're a pedo/cradle robber, and an asshole!

My D&D games are just stitched together Conan short stories and my players love them. None of them have read Conan

Despite the fact that I tell myself in my past few games that I could run it better, I adamantly refuse to run anything for anyone.

It does get insanely annoying though when I have a GM say outloud 'I'm not going through all this text, just roll diplomacy' or use nothing but treasure generators. Nothing but gems and wands forever.

Worst kind of GM

Best kind of GM

That sin cannot be forgiven.

I habitually give my players waifus
and sometime sex

Low risk fights that exist only to drain party resources are also boring. Going straight to telling players what resources they lost is at least quick.

If you're playing a system balanced around low risk fights to drain resources to make later fights interesting, what other options does the GM have ?

I ran one fight each session because I found it an easy was to lengthen the session and I was too lazy to prepare more plot.

That's nothing. I ran Pathfinder for my players.

I make far too many "edgy" characters.
Serial killers, madmen, people with terrible morals, the whole shabang.
I don't know why, but I love playing characters like that. It feels incredibly liberating.
I also really like hiding information from the other players, preferably even from the GM, about my characters. (The latter obvious rarely works, since the GM kinda has to know) Stuff like my characters having certain abilities, carrying certain items, and certain actions they plan on taking.
EG
>Not letting them know I have an ability that drastically increases my strength, so I can keep it hidden as a trump card
>When the group decides to let someone live, I'll sneak out at night and go finish the job
I'm getting real close to being That Guy, but I just can't stop myself.

I do put effort into not being actively disrupting, though. At most, some people get annoyed with me.

Hope your players are good in the sack, user. How did you manage that? Just ERP rolling into occasional flings?

So, wait. Players don't get to try to run away, or cast sleep, or anything? You just assume that in all cases they ran face-first into the bugbears until the bugbears were dead?

Where does player skill even come into it at that point?

>Oh, I'm glad your Saturday night was miserable! How dare you try to enjoy tabletop RPGs besides when I have time for you? Wait for me to have time! Wait like a dog that has to go out to pee!
You sound like an awful person.

> she was the (much) younger sister
man at first i was assuming you were about the same age and it was just innocent teen stuff but nope seems like you were much older you are a genuinely horrible person , congratulations

This is the way role playing games should be played. Roll-playing is the most boring activity ever devised by humankind. I hate having to take breaks in the narrative to watch paint dry while the DM and fighter roll their dice.

Thank God Pillars of Eternity had a "no combat" story mode. RPG combat is the pits.

>Implying crying over Harry Potter at age 14 is weird
Also, you're a horrible person.

You should be sneaking around, trying to avoid combat, trying to get better positioning when you do have to fight, and generally minimizing resource loss in order to be in the best position possible if shit goes sideways or you have to fight a bigger enemy at the end. OP's way is just a walking simulator with some kind of DLC that makes you randomly take a little bit of damage or lose a torch.

The way I see it, if a player surprises me with an ability that they fairly acquired, then their enemies are also surprised by it. So, while I do keep hold of the character sheets between sessions*, I never actually read them.

*If a player complains about it, I'd let them keep their sheet. Until they forget to bring it to a session.

Yeah, it's a dumb practice. Completely removed the purpose for random encounters beyond draining the PCs resources just because. Plus removing context for the fight removes any chance of making it relevant to the greater story. Bugbears are intelligent, why are they raiding highways? Maybe reason could be applied. Also total removal of player license. Might as well be
>You lose this stuff because I say you do. What? Its a better story!

Also on topic:
I use generators for as much as I humanly, reasonably can when DMing. Partly because I'm lazy but mostly because I don't want to spend the hours and hours writing the shit out. I generate what's needed (oftentimes on the fly at the table using various webtools), sometimes edit shit to add or subtract what would be too much, not enough, or just what the party needs. Then I improv my way through making it make sense.

I once sent the players into a huge underground complex with nothing but a population of monsters inside it. I improv'd the description, the books they found, the quiet whispers coming from the monsters, the reason why the former denizens were transformed into such monsters, the entire layout of the dungeon, literally everything but the monsters picked for appropriate CR was improv. BECAUSE I'M FUCKING LAZY.

Sometimes it's fun though. Helps change things up as a GM when I know I hold all the cards anyway. Like, "why in the fuck WOULD this dwarf society use so many crystals. Well, lets say they're psionic. They're Duergar now. But you guys didn't know that because this is all inner monologue that is me creating the history of this place this second." I don't have to think ahead. I just have to think slightly faster than my players. Also:

I smoke too much weed and drink too much booze at the table. Everyone present is cool with it but I have noticed it impacting my ability to run the game and I'm not okay with it. I would be toning it down. If we had played for the last several weeks.

>Plus removing context for the fight removes any chance of making it relevant to the greater story

How many random encounter tables can you think of that give context to why those foes attacked the PCs on that trip ?

How many of them give any reason beyond "these things attack you" ?

>I cannot stop criticising GMs in my head when playing, thinking about how I would do things differently.
Don't... Don't all GMs do this when they play? I do.
I don't share your other sins though.

I don't think fiating and handwaving combat an resource management based off one due roll is right and I would not play your game.
But I appreciate the attempt to reduce the time sink of random encounters and would accept a more interactive alternative between the two.

>Random enemy bandit rolls a 20 on a hit
>Deals major damage to a player
>GM figures he can work with this
>Has the bandits try to escape once they start losing
>If they do escape, an NPC from the next town can mention the bandits
>The guy who rolled the 20 is apparently an infamous bandit leader, the NPC is surprised they survived the encounter
Bang, new villain for a side story.

I cheat. I cheat a lot.

I don't even really need to cheat sometimes.

I can't help myself. I add one extra success.

One time, I even actually declared I got less successes than I did, just to misrepresent.

I just fudged the dice when I was the GM

And now that I'm a player, I can't stop

Please

Please help

I have a non-gaming but still Veeky Forums related sin to confess, if that counts.

What is it fag?

It was that I'm a fag :(

I ran a game that was meant to be episodic a few months ago and everyone loved it.

I still haven't gotten around to preparing the next part.

I've never played a pen & paper RPG or miniature wargame, I just come here because I enjoy the fluff.

What if DM and players don't want to deal with a new villain/side story? OP's just letting background shit happen in the background, like a montage at the opening of a tv show giving a cursory glance at some unimportant shit that happened before the real story gets rolling.
I don't see anything wrong with, as a GM or a player. I've been doing this 30 years and I don't feel a strong need to play out the details of yet another battle against trash monsters in between me and the place we're going.

1) How am I a pedo

2) What the fuck is a cradle robber

3) Why am I an asshole for removing a potential bad player?

Nah at the time I was 24 and she was 16.

Crying over a book makes you an immature person no matter your age.

>It was that I'm a fag :(
Actually that was not me, although you might think it’s appropriate.

>What is it fag?
My sin is that I wrote Tale of Allendo.

This is a sin I can get behind.

I hate cheaters with a fiery passion.
And I hate habitual cheaters like you more, but only because I can't help you.

2/10, got me to respond. Not the person who posed those accusations, but basically you're an asshole for killing off someone's character and making them feel like shit after your campaign died just because they wouldn't go out with you.

>I think my worldbuilding/campaign settings are great and other peoples are inferior, without really looking into theirs and judging it fairly
>I get angry at flake players when I GM but whenever I'm a player in a game I tend to lose interest really fast
>I think I'm knowledgeable about RPGs because I think about them all the time and do game design and worldbuilding all the time, but I have very little actual experience
>I quit one of my jobs so I can actually run a campaign (I still have a job by the way, one that pays 2 to 3 times as much as the first one, so it's not as bad as it sounds really.)
>I get angry at players when they don't make interesting characters but my characters tend to be pretty boring
>The only game (as a player) I was really interested in was an ERP game where I was a troll going around and raping qt femboys, but the GM mysteriously disappeared and never contacted me again. I still feel betrayed.
>t. hypocrite

Why not just play a tabletop game that doesn't have daily resources? Make every combat encounter exciting and fun to play and don't 'tax' your players unnecessarily. Try Gamma World 7th Edition (the one based on D&D 4E), it works great.

As for my own sins, I'm never satisfied with any system the group uses and I constantly try to homebrew content or make my own systems. Instead of sticking to something simple I overcomplicate things out of a need for mechanical perfection.

To make it worse, I'm a Storyteller-type player. I barely care about the rules when I'm playing, all I care about is the plot, but between sessions I'm constantly thinking of how to change the system.

I also know that this frustrates the people I play with, but I can't help myself. I NEED to tinker with things, be it combat mechanics, social challenges, exploration rules... doesn't matter, something's always gotta change.

>Please help
Ask the GM to roll all your dice for you. If fudging dice is your drug, having others roll for you is like going cold turkey.

The fact that you've recognized your problem and asked for help is a good first step. You can overcome this, friend.

being unwilling or unable to feel empathy, even for fiction, can be a sign of mental illness, particularly in the right supramarginal gyrus. You may wish to seek professional assistance even if just in case the condition has a risk of spreading to the rest of your brain.

Damnit, why I don’t have the foul stench of wormy chum in my mouth?
Oh look! Some tasty bait!

>1) How am I a pedo
Your posts left room to interpret she was 14 at the time.
Technically not pedo, but most people don’t know hebo.

>2) What the fuck is a cradle robber
1. Guess what might be robbed from inside a cradle
2. Listen to idioms that people use.
3. Fucking Google

>3) Why am I an asshole for removing a potential bad player?
You wouldn’t be if you had done that, but you specifically sought to hurt some young girl who sensibly spurned your creepy attentions and then reveled in telling others.
Also, you’re clearly an asshole in many other ways.

>Nah at the time I was 24 and she was 16.
Yeah, you are a creepy jerk. Nothing wrong with being attracted to her, but actually asking her out, being surprised she turned you down, or actually planned revenge on anyone for having tastes that don’t include you make you a sad, broken, creep of a failure.

>Crying over a book makes you an immature person no matter your age.
>No piece of literature is capable of making any mature person ever cry
>Mature people are incapable of being sensitive
>Only those as dead inside as me are Truly Mature

I'd play in your game,. Youre old enough to buy that alcohol and you are in a place where marijuana is legal? Otherwise it's a no go.

1) You were a 24 year old man hitting on a 16 year old high school girl. Maybe on the creepy forums you go to people are really careful to differentiate between hebephiles and pedophiles, but to the rest of us you're all just perverts

2) A cradle robber is someone who chases peope who are much too young for them. Like you going after jailbait.

3) "potential bad player" is just the excuse you're using to avoid facing the fact that you're a raging douchebag. The fact that you have to say "potential" is the proof. If she'd actually been a bad player you wouldn't have to say that.
Instead you are pretending that you drove her out because she was going to turn out to be bad sooner or later.

>I intentionally make unoptimized, weak characters because I find them more fun to play, even if it weakens the party overall.

>I intentionally make stupid decisions that just to throw off the GM and the other players to see how they react.

>I never plan anything ever, to the point where I now randomize most of the elements of my story and setting. Any time I have to fill in a detail about the setting, I roll d100 against an arbitrary target number I make up on the spot, the amount by which the roll exceeds or falls short of the target number determines how beneficial or detrimental the detail is to the party.

>I intentionally make unoptimized, weak characters because I find them more fun to play, even if it weakens the party overall.
Sounds fine to me, man. Any GM worth their salt will tone down the difficulty of the encounters to compensate, so you should never feel like you're 'dragging your team down'. Just so long as you're not completely and obviously useless, like a quadruple amputee Barbarian or something.

>I intentionally make stupid decisions that just to throw off the GM and the other players to see how they react.
As long as they're in character, and they don't directly get anyone else's character killed, sounds fine to me. I love making poor decisions because it's what my character would do.

>I never plan anything ever, to the point where I now randomize most of the elements of my story and setting. Any time I have to fill in a detail about the setting, I roll d100 against an arbitrary target number I make up on the spot, the amount by which the roll exceeds or falls short of the target number determines how beneficial or detrimental the detail is to the party.
As long as your players are okay with it, carry on. I prefer a little more preparation from my GMs but who am I to judge?

As sins go, my man, you seem to be doing alright.

I do these too, but when my dumb characters fail to perform just average I honestly get butthurt

I hold erotic 'headcanons' for my characters and NPCs, because their sexual quirks are unrelated in most part to the game. One of the female NPCs, a ninja, was rumored to be canoodling with the Emperor's son, but is actually a lesbian who planned to marry the prince and set up a threesome situation between her, the prince, and one of the (female) royal family guards so that she got both the benefits of being the Empress and an heir while being satisfied during sex (and giving the royal guard, who loved the prince, a shot at him).

As a player, I tend to make my characters buy lots of bullshit with their gold- women, booze, drugs, luxuries, fine clothes and food, a lute player etc.

I do this not to be that guy but because I feel that a group of typical murder hobos would be extremely poor monet managers and live like rockstars, not the pensive bankers most players act like.

Why ? Scion's not that bad

I feel that I sometimes steal the spotlight from other players too much.

Recently one player's character was going through a defining moment and my character (as a thief sorta character) snarked about to the point that he was making up much of the dialogue.

The other player didn't seem upset about it, but I still felt bad afterwards. I'm trying to get better about it by just being quiet, even though the desire to get involved is very tempting.

This is the logic that led to Final Fantasy XIII

Watch what you say user that's how i was conceived

>Scion's not that bad
What a huge lie.

It's not a bad idea, but I feel like you could handle it better. Maybe make it skill challenges or something like that instead. Something actually interactive, but not time consuming.

You sound horrible.

It has flawed mechanics, sure, but it has a compelling premise and you can tell fun stories. Care to elaborate ?

>that's how i was conceived
That tracks. Abuse begets abuse. It’s understandable that you would learn to target younger and weaker prey from those that spawned you.

>Watch what you say user
How about fuck you?

not the same user faggot just saying my mom was 16 and my dad was 23

>a quadruple amputee Barbarian or something.

"Roll me towards the enemy so I may bite their ankles! RAAAAGGH!"

10/10, would sword & sorcery with

I run 3.5e and personally assist all martial class characters with their builds in order to cheese them out to the highest degree possible. I offer no such assistance to any casters and routinely deny them all loot other than scrolls and wands.

No shame.

I insert characters that are romantic ties or friends/allies just to see if my players will take the bait for waifu realm. They always do because I tailor them to what their character sees in someone personal to them.

>MFW I can't stop doing this and using them to motivate for their reasons to adventure when they are maimed/killed/captured by the main bad guys or their immediate subordinate.

Why does everyone hate Pathfinder? It seems okay to me.

Like 3.5, it's horribly unbalanced and clunky.

I always play group leader both in and out of combat, because my group doesn't do "following the plot" or "focus on goals", even if my stats, class, and even race pull against it.

When have you seen Half-Orc Rangers with only Wis in their mental skills lead in Astral Pirate campaigns? Only with me.

>not the same user faggot
Ah, easy mistake. My bad. I apologize.

>just saying my mom was 16 and my dad was 23
>Being attracted to a 16 year old girl when you’re 23?
Fine.
>Courting a 16 year old girl when you’re 23?
Might be okay in some cases, generally a bad idea.
>Impregnating a 16 year old girl, ever.
Always a terrible mistake.
Best case scenario is they get married, end up in a happy marriage, but their kid ends up surfing Veeky Forums.
No good end.

>Watch what you say user
Still fuck you.

Forgot my other sins:

I can not break the habit of DM, players say its' good storytelling, yet I know others DM but I can never get in a game where I'm a player and they are DM. I just refuse to fight against it anymore and accept my fate.

I also hand my players plot points because they are shit at coming up with their own things to do to help me create more points to work with.

>forever DM
>one of my players offered to run a session or two
>the other players legitimately hated his DM style
>secretly happy that they couldn't stand it

ha wish that last part was true they never married and had two more kids within two year time period of me till they figured out they hate each other while saying they hate each other the whole time. Have a trump pepe for your time it's OC.

Nah, the logic that led to FF13 was "people play FPS's, let's emulate their single player stories for our jRPG."

"The popular games out only have people controlling 1 character. Better make players control one character then."

"People *love* areal juggles in games. Let's add that despite not having the player in control of the fast paced combat."

"People want FASTER gameplay!"

"Oh no! The fast gameplay doesn't work with shuffling through menus to get stuff. Better give an auto command so players never feel overwhelmed."

"Hey, players always just use their money on healing items to heal up to max after every fight, why not automatically heal them to max after each fight and not even bother to drop money."

>Wasting money on pointless pleasantries like real people
Now this is roleplaying

>I begin to introduce party strife when I'm in a party that's too dull, for the plot. I almost always wind up neutral when the inevitable happens.

>I am stacking leadership in a game. Because the GM started allowing third party and it pissed me off. He knows I'm doing it and has allowed it, what he doesn't know is that I am already up to 200-300k followers of varying level.

>I go out of my way to cockblock characters who are shipped too hard, because in my current group characters who succeed in getting their sex on cease to give a shit about plots and conflict.

i-I'm not a that guy, I swear!

I think I might be That Guy.

I tend to get frustrated when the dice go against me during games, and even though after the game I make sure to be all smiles and whatnot, because it is just a game, it's during that I think could be making the game unfun for the others. A key model goes down early on, the game slides, and I get tilted. and I think I let it show and everything. Please forgive me, Veeky Forums. I know what I do and I need to strive to be a better opponent to play against.

>the GM started allowing third party and it pissed me off.
That's pretty weird. Was it broken-ass 3pp?

Soren Kierkegaard used to do shit like that, he spent his entire life really unhappy btw

I kinda wanna know more about your waifu bait? I want to avoid stumbling upon any of my players magical realms.

>I seek to become group leader in a covert or overt way because most players are directionless and I don't like wasting my game time waiting for them to get better.

me

seems like normal behavior, but only if the DM you're talking to is a teenage girl.

The mechanics are worse then 3.PF and Exalted 2e combined, man. That's not flawed, that's masochistic.

doing gods work

I hope you get drug into the street and shot.

That's part of the problem, he won't tell us. It's a PVP war game that began as core only; max level, shades of WW2 as far as the sides (Axis V Allies but fantasy). In order to 'preserve fairness' he doesn't let one side know what the other has.

Well, apparently he has begun to allow 3.5 conversions as well as 3pp but is keeping the 'I won't tell you, but almost everything is on the table now.' The reveal for this, btw, was the other side casting a nationwide 'protection from summoning/race' type spell from some 3pp class, cast in an hour.

So I asked for the epic level handbook leadership feats, as well as the 3.5 leadership that doesn't explicitly forbid followers from taking it. It's bitchy, sure, but I was urked that he changed what was allowed mid game.