Warhammer 40k General

Gaunting Ghosts edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>Not the FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xx4562gesw0
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tuska
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Slaneeeeeeesh captures this thread!

No, I mean, Tau never really had to deal with any daemons.
They've dealt with chaos before but never a full blown incursion where you have a wound in reality shitty out endless hordes of daemons.

Continuing from here: It seems to be hinted at in a lot of Adeptus Mechanicus fluff that the actual Magi understand what they're doing with basic technology, on a purely theoretical and physical level just as much as the rites and rituals of the Cult Mechanicus.

That being said, we also know that some of the lower-end Tech Adepts have virtually no understanding and are eased into the secrets of the machine by learning about the incense and religious rites first.

So just how much do we think the AdMech actually knows? They're obviously more intelligent than the "try prayer," meme, but at the same time clearly don't possess a true grasp of all their technology.

If the Milky Way is so fucked, why not just leave to Andromeda?

>Lack of an Astronomicon while in-Warp for reference
>Likely Hive Mind uncontested Warpspace beyond the galactic rim
>Lack of food and water on the way to the other galaxy, Plasma Generators literally can't keep ships running that long with stasis
>Somewhat different Warp-principles from the lack of Chaos presence throwing off Navigators
>Have absolutely no idea what's on the other side

Problem after problem.

Tyranids already ate it, Khorne.

Party on, you heretical sex machine.
You'd think some angsty Word Bear would have done that by now, but what do you know? They failed to do that. Once a Word Bear always a Word Bear.
The day they get a true grasp on their tech would be a good day for the Imperium.
Nids. All of the Nids. Not enough Tyranids however.

Wasn't there a transmission coming from it? Apparently, Orks singing there.

Read the 1d4chan article sub-head titled 'why everything is so grim dark'. It sums up the whole reason everything turned to shit and why they seem to act so stupidly.

Already have, that's not the point. The point is they're not as stupid as the general Memechanicus portrayals, I was merely inquiring as to anyone who's got sources or anything to help in discerning exactly how much they know.

So i can buy another unit of Kastelan Robots or Servitors, what shoukd i buy?

Which do you need?

So over the Weekend I had a single Landspeeder with double multimelts destroy a Predator and a Vindicator in the same game.
This made me think that this particular landspeeder deserves a name.

Any suggestions?

It is a DA RW Landspeeder.

Ive got from both 1 unit

What Chapter is the Land Speeder from?

Shit, nm, I can't into reading comprehension.

It's Ravenwing, so maybe something from Poe or Medieval history?

כור היתוך של זעם. That's Hebrew for "Melting Wrath".

>a single Landspeeder with double multimelts destroy a Predator and a Vindicator
Any person that deploys their Predator near their Vindicator is a moron.
Any player that doesn't realize a Double Multimelta Landspeeder isn't an immediate threat is an idiot.
Anyone who can't destroy an AV10 all around Landspeeder is retarded.

So perhaps Moronbane, Idiot Repellent or Retard Roaster.

>so maybe something from Poe or Medieval history?

That would be ideal I think. Something other than Lion ____ or more generic.

Not much for the Hebrew but Melting Wrath does have a nice ring to it.

He actually had each on opposing corners however most of his force at the Start was closer to the Vindicator. After I popped the Predator (I counter deployed and seized the initiative) he was too caught up my main force and on turn three I was in Melta Range.

What's the best way to compose a strictly chaos demons army to survive the warp storm?

Is it worthwhile to go with one god exclusively, or should you use all four?

>Popping a Predator Turn One

Yeah that would pretty much crush my feels depending on the size of the game.

I am an Iron Hands player with a MSU Battle Company and a beefed up Armoured Task Force (been playing for a bit over the year) and losing my Tanks hurts more than losing all six of my Razorbacks.

Melting Wrath it is then, user. The Lion demands it.

Multigod would give you the best chance I suppose.
I always think Monogod is too risky and taking even one partner God can hedge one's bets that at least a portion of their army wont get hit .

>The Lion demands it.
Now I should fit two Multi Meltas so it can even be WYSIWYG.
Though these shitty bars for the Landspeeders weapons keep snapping off either from the landspeeder or the weapon.

>two Multi Meltas
Wait, Landspeeders can take two Multi Meltas?!

take fateweaver and go incursion if you're really worried

also remember you're going to get 7 neutral most of the time and you have the same chance for the army to take instability tests as getting a free unit

Yep.

Yes and in the Attack Squadron I run it in with two Multi Melta Attack Bikes if the Landspeeder Hits (not even wounds/glance/pens) the bikes from the formation get +1BS.

Yup. One with the passenger and one underneath. The epitome of a glass cannons.

I dont want to be that guy but....
That actually translates into "Melting pot of Rage"

Why don't marines put power armored dudes into Land Speeder Storms?

>putting one underneath.

Why didn't I think of that.. God damnit. Mine came with special Heavy Bolters that are Side by Side for when I use two of those (though they aren't twin linked)

>Google translate
Boy that's 100% and in no way infallible

So I know that practically every Legion had a rival counterpart during the Heresy and that the Dark Angels and Space Wolves have a rivalry to this day, but what are some other examples of rivalries and grudges when it comes to the Imperium and/or Chaos?

The only one I can remember of the top of my head are the Marines Malevolent and the Salamanders which is fairly minor.

But that's probably even more perfect.

How close can an habitable planet be to a neutron star even with the most sophisticated terraforming technology? Same system, binnary system, nearby system?

Decurion is the only way to play Daemons. You'll never worry about Daemonic instability again.

youtu.be/xx4562gesw0

Yes, but what he said wasn't infallible. Instead, use a verse from the bible thats already set in the analogous hebrew way of speaking.

2 Chronicles 34:25
מַעֲשֵׂ֣י יְדֵיהֶ֑םוְתִתַּ֧ךְחֲמָתִ֛י בַּמָּק֥וֹם
the works of their hands will be poured my place of wrath.

Daemonic Incursion and/or Fateweaver is a must. Incursion prevents you from getting the really shitty Warpstorm results, and severely mitigates the harm from the "Units take Instability Tests" results from the Storm. Fateweaver's reroll combined with the Incursion is just disgusting. 50+ Pink Horrors with a 3++ is stupid durable.

Corax and and an Alpha Legionare play hide and seek with an Inquisitor. Who wins?

I recently got into 40k to play with my friend and few of his friends (plus a decent playgroup from the near shop) and bought two of the Start Collecting: Space Wolves (Got two for a total of $150 so it was a great deal I think) and two Rhinos.

Now I have saved up enough money to buy another edition (Another $150). I was thinking to get Wulfen since they should help my TWC which are the real MVPs of my army and the coolest models. My friend suggested Long Fangs for more Anti-Armor and more Long Range capabilities.

Should I split the difference and get a mix of both or does one outweigh the other? I am only playing 800-1000 points right now.

My main opponents are Necrons, Imperial Guard and Ravenwing.

>Who wins?
The Imperium.

Eldrad. He wasn't even playing, but he still wins. Because he's a dick.

The Inquisitor. He'll just blow up the planet if he can't find them

To participate in tournaments, do you have to use official GW models, or can you make your own?

On the off chance anyone that plays Corsairs is here, do you run Voidstorm Bands? I'm thinking of adding an Allied Detachment for my DE, and they seem pretty neat (although overpriced and likely to die to a strong breeze) as well as a fluffy addition to a Kabalite raiding band (not the actual formation though since it's pointless). Is the following a good idea or bad?:

>Prince - Seeker of Forbidden Treasures, Jetpack, Shimmershield, Venom Blade (105 pts)
>Voidstorm Band - 4x CCW & Pistol Felarchs w/ 4x Venom Blade, 1x Flamer Felarch, Jet Packs, Tanglefield Grenades, Combat Drugs (160 pts)

So 265 pts for a bunch of poisoned attacks on the charge, "fuck your initiative" grenades, jetpacks, 4+/5++, Ld 10 instead of 9/6, and whatever benefit they end up getting from combat drugs. I expect them to die anyway like all of the rest of my units, but it could be fun when it works[/spoilers]. The rest of the Allied Detachment would be deep striking Hornets, Infiltrating Ranger-wannabes, and maybe a Fire Prism or something.

Also my math might be a bit off since I threw that together from memory, but it probably gets the idea across.

Depends entirely on the tournament organizer. Some will allow third party models or bits.

During tournaments there are time limits imposed sometimes so that you actually get through the ladder in a reasonable time. Wasting twenty minutes explaining how a ball of greenstuff rolled in a bits jar is a Daemon Prince.

Depends on the tournament. Most require GW models, some will allow a certain percentage of an individual model to be 3rd party (like 25%).

Why dont we just take the Orks and the Nidz and push them into the warp?

What's the reasoning behind not allowing 3rd party models? Is it just GW money jewery?

>Word Bearers/Ultramarines
>Imperial Fists/Iron Warriors
>Death Guard/White Scars
>Nightlords/Dark Angels
>Nightlords/Salamanders
>Emperors Children/Iron Hands
Just off the top of my head

Get either 2 units of 5 Wulfen, load them up with max or near max thunderhammer stormshields and put them into a murderpack formation. Use any leftover money for longfangs w. lascannons.

Chaos pushes them back out onto us. Also; this has happened. There is a small troop of boyz who specialize in demon killing. Korne loved them so, he made them undying and they live forever in his domain waaghing against demons.

Yes.

I can run a squad of 9 boyz and one boss nob, correct? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Khorne fucking with Ork like that wouldn't make Gork and Mork angry?

gork and mork aren't paying attention

I almost played a game against a "Daemon Player" who started setting up Tyranids all over and I told him that I thought he played Daemons. I was pretty new and this wouldve been my fourth or fifth game back then.

"Oh I just use these as proxies"
>Flyrant is a Daemon Prince
Okay....
>Thropes are Flamers of Tzeentch
I guess thats cool
>Gaunts are pink horrors
I can deal with-
>Gargoyles are Screamers of Tzeentch
That isn't too ba-
>Carnifexes are Tzeentch Flamer Chariots
Well thats just silly

Nothing was WYSIWYG, not that I am a big stickler on things but I didn't know much about Daemons or Tyranids then and was getting them all confused in my head so I just said I wasn't up for it.

Looking back they didn't even have a daemonic paint job or bits just a regular Tyranid theme of Agrax Wash over White Primer with a maroon detail picked out.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I guess its heresy but I like the Wulfen Models.
I also have collected a bunch of SW bits (especially shoulders and heads) and was wondering if there is anything majorly different between Long Fangs and Devastators of if I could just buy some second hand Devs and put my bits on them.

>Implying Gork and Mork wouldn't find it hilarious

i don't blame you, using an entirely different army for daemons is a bit much. it's not like using blue marines as red or blue

WTF happened to the SW's other marines after the HH and the Chapter split up since they don't have successors?

the wolf brothers successor chapter became straight up mutants so they got 'wolfed"

Im guessing the legion slowly shrunk through the constant attrition of ten millennia of warfare and not being able to replace their losses very quickly given their ass backwards recruiting world and unstable geneseed

Here is the exact story for those wh want it.
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tuska

You are correct. Note that the nob cost is an upgrade cost, so you have to pay for the 10 boys and then the upgrade cost on top.

You are missing out on some of the iconography, one thing to look out for is that you can't take grav cannons. I would recommend purchasing the real models though, at least think about it an extra time. Better spend that extra money here than have them not feel like they are truly a part of your army.

You mean
>Dark Angels/Dark Angels

I'm sorry.
Someone had to.

Their chapter is larger than most, in addition to simply having an unspecified larger amount of marines they also have a fleet many times larger than most.

Also Blood Angels/Black Legion, and I think Raven Guard/Alpha Legion have a bit of a shadow war thing going on.

>Blood Ravens/Inquisition

NOTHING HAPPENED ON CALIBAN KEEP MOVING NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Hey guys, I'm looking to start building an army of my own and the grey Knights really caught my eye but I'm trying to optimize them the best I can since I'm very new to this. I've noticed some inquestion units that have snipers and I'm also wondering if they go well with them. Like I've seen some sniper dudes they had and heard gray Knights lack range or something?

>Everyone/Inquisition

You sure? I heard there was a huge party or something and it got out of hand

Grey Knights and Inquisition go together, yeah. They used to be the same codex.

For future reference using the term "optimization" is likely to get you a shitton of butthurt rage replies from shit codex users calling you a WAACfag.

what grey knights actually lack is anti-tank.

the ability to deepstrike nearly everything makes up for short ranges much of the time, but in the current codex the only effective heavy ranged AT they have is dreadnought and storm raven.

you can supplement your GKs with inquisition or normal marines to regain that anti-tank punch a few different ways. if you go marines and want to stick to inquisition fluff I'd recommend red hunters chapter or exorcists.

as for grey knights themselves:
the only HQ worth a damn is the librarian.
troops you might as well go terminators, they cost less $$ per squad and are flat better for not a comparatively huge points jump.
elites purifiers are good but stick them in a stormraven if you're going to bother (or with a librarian that rolled gate of infinity)
heavy support: dreadknights (take sword, PT, and heavy incinerator always, heavy psycannon is take or leave)

land raiders are kinda ok, but generally not worth it compared to just deep striking.

I've been out of the loop. Do people 3d print their miniatures already? Are there any meshes to download out there?

other option for adding a nice DISTRACTION CARNIFEX and some AT punch to a list is an Imperial Knight. errant or warden is generally the best pickup there, with the 3-shot missile pod as a carapace weapon, thunderstrike gauntlet is ok but can be a risky option due to striking at I1

they do lack ranged attacks but from what i've see (against my daemons anyway) they tend to make out okay with dreadknights, psycannons, and shunting up their units

the only "sniper dudes" the inquisition has that i can think of is the vindicare assassin but hes not in the inquisition codex hes actually in the assassins dataslate.

if your looking to win with inquisition/greyknights you might want to look elsewhere because those are two very low tier armies right now. only play them if your want to collect those armys

no, because prints unless they're done on multi-thousand dollar resin layup machines are obvious as fuck and will get you B& from stores faster than yes.

you might see it once the average ABS filament printer is capable of about 10x finer resolution than current, and those do already exist but will generally set you back $18k

one thing people ARE using printers for is custom conversion parts. I have my own printer and have been using it to make some conversion peices for an imperial knight, along with some different servo-arm bits for techmarines, vehicle parts, and scenery pieces.

you can get some very decent quality ABS filament printers now for less than $500, and make the STL files for whatever you want to print using FreeCAD, just keep in mind that you'll need to do considerable testing to figure out what thicknesses you can print without heat-warping, from personal experience a model with a bed-heater is highly recommended.

nigga I just want to print some shit and play with friends.

>if your looking to win with inquisition/greyknights you might want to look elsewhere because those are two very low tier armies right now.
No they're not.
Grey Knights are rather solid mid-tier, and inquistion is fucking amazing when doing it's job as a support army. Taking an inquistor or two with three servo skulls each as an ally to something like marines does really fucking well at tournaments.
In fact, one such list took 4th place at adepticon this year.
To call inquistion low tier is to either mis-understand how the army works, or reveal a complete lack of understanding of what the teirs really are.

Then go pay multiple armies worth of money for the resources you need. Even then your guys will lack detail and probably look like shit, but if your friends are fine with that why not just go buy some plastic army men from a dollar store and grind them to proper height.

Seems to know what he is talking about.

you won't be printing shit for a while, as stated the level of precision isn't there, and you'd need to get a properly done STL mesh even if it could.

sorry to ruin your happy fantasy

Hey 40k. I just wanted an opinion.

Is a story where a warp monster is the protagonist, enters reality through a witch on a backwater planet, and goes on to conquer/eat the planet worth writing? What would need to be done to make the story worth reading?

>an Iron Hands player with a MSU Battle Company and a beefed up Armoured Task Force

Ugh. That is the army I want to play. Small groups of BattleBros in a bunch of Razorbacks supported by Laspredators.

I am slowly learning the game and setting aside money for a bulk purchase but I have played my friends IG enough with his Veterans in Chimeras with Leman Russ support that I know I will be making an Iron Hands list.

there is a story in the daemon book where a greater daemon possesses a minor and uses him as a warp portal to take over the planet

not as interesting as when nurgle decided to help a planet during a drought by drowning them then sending in his daemons, that was hilarious

+1 for this.
Their are two GK players at myself, one that uses a Knight and one that doesnt have to if ya know what I mean.
He has the Inquis with Skulls and all his crazy Libs and the new Psychic Powers that he came in 2nd in our 2000pt League this summer.
The only reason I beat him in our match (5th/12 in the league ) was because Muh AP2 Spam but he really played that army to the fullest.
He had a small CAD or formation start on the field with very little on the field including the Inquisitor I think then BAM in comes a shit ton of Special Termis and some of those Dreadknight things.

>not as interesting as when nurgle decided to help a planet during a drought by drowning them then sending in his daemons, that was hilarious
How exactly did he plan on helping them?
Because something tells me it involves either turning them into zombies, giving them diseases, or something else equally as heretical

Explore the warped psychology of a being of the Warp whose entire existence is predicated on the whims of an glorified thought-bubble. That might make it interesting.

I remember reading a short story somewhere about the contempt of a (Thousand Sons iirc) CSM commander for the foolish mortals on a planet he's about to exterminate. It was pretty cool. It had a bit about how he's trying to remember key events from his unnaturally long life.

Actually I just had a look in my Veeky Forums folder and here it is.

>MSU Battle Company

All non-retarded Battle Company's are MSU. That phrasing is redundant.

Not that there's much of a point in explaining the tier system to somebody who can't spell "tier", but I'll lay it out for you: there are two tiers in 40k tournaments right now, the Win tier and the Lose tier. Win tier is Eldar, Marines, Dark Angels, Daemons, and in some special cases Admech and Tau. Everyone else is in the Lose tier.

Then there's the fake forgeworld factions who aren't really a part of the game. They fall into the lower Win tier right now.

Huh. I just checked the prices.

Is there any cheap way to get tournament legal models? How about a hard copy of the rules (83 for a codex seems like highway robbery).

The Ultramarine player at my shop insists on running 6 full units tacticals all in fucking Rhinos but thats probably due to chapter tactics and the other shenanigans that let him use that Doctrine every fucking turn.

Make the planet a medieval shit hole like Westeros. The witch was publicly gang raped and then they tried to burn her at the stake. The demon attracted to her has a knight in shining armor complex. He heroically saves her and pledges to purge all those evil nasty people and create hellish paradise.