How do I become a good salesman?

How do I become a good salesman?

I started putting my business degree to use, but not how I originally intended. I have 5 months of sales experience working at a car wash (getting people to sign up for an unlimited wash club and upselling washes would earn commission in addition to my hourly wage), but I left that job because I got what I wanted out of it, but I hated my job (I could get a premium wash for free every day and still refused to run my car through - the process doesn't do a good job to begin with and it damages cars). I did great with sales before I lost all faith in what we were selling.

I took a risk, quit the car wash and applied for a job at a big name outdoors store as a warehouse manager. When they found out I have an extreme proficiency with firearms and the background to back it up (military, combat experience, sniper instructor, so my own gunsmithing, stay up to date with the industry, know historic firearms and shoot as a hobby), I was offered a better paying position than what I applied for and put in charge of the entire firearms section.

I have a thorough knowledge of what I'm selling, know the laws, paperwork and regulation to the point I can do it in my sleep. Where I am weak is being a salesman. What are some tips, tricks and pointers to selling in general? How do I get someone to go from fingerfucking the guns to filling out a form and buying one? There are a few things I know from being a customer (such as how a salesman hovering and staring will make someone uncomfortable), but I want to know the pointers of sales. What are the right words to use to get the responses I want? I know a few basics such as using "would you be willing to..." when offering an alternative where the customer is making a compromise, but what other things do I need to be learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

wetwerksusa.com/
ssvi.us/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

where can I buy this glock with my btc gains sorry bro your post is too long for me to read but I have been looking to get a custom glock19

maybe you could start by looking at the logo on the pistol you tard

I didnt read any of your post, but I can tell you right now, that you are either good with people or you arent. Sales is something that comes naturally. Sales is 1% talking about product and closing the deal, and 99% small talk, bullshitting, and trust building.

That Glock is a WetWerk customized Glock 19. I've included the link below. If you're interested in seeing the different options of similar handguns, a favorite service of mine is SSVI - which I've included the link for as well.

If you have any other questions regarding the Glock series of weapons, either /k/ or myself would be happy to get it sorted out for you.

wetwerksusa.com/
ssvi.us/

>I didnt read any of your post, but I can tell you right now, that you are either good with people or you arent. Sales is something that comes naturally. Sales is 1% talking about product and closing the deal, and 99% small talk, bullshitting, and trust building.

Cliff notes: If they are there, they want to buy. If they dont buy, its because you didnt get them to like/trust you.

stand on the street and sell crack cocaine to niggers whom'st wonder by thy corner aka yo terf nigga u feel me bruv dog peace

Grab a sharpie user, now sell it to me.

>not reading your gigantic reddit novel but here:
go work at a call center. try to work at a credit card call center. you have complete freedom to practice selling to people and usually they're ruthless niggers
working for capital one when I turned 18 was unironically the best work experience I've ever had

by selling shit

IT'S NOT A GLOCK YOU MONG

Wrong.
At least with guns most people probably walk in wanting to buy one. The upsell is where your experience comes into play. Play sales engineer. Talk up bono fide improvements of the upsell. Convince buyer that it’s worth the extra dosh. Boom. Easy peasy. If they don’t go for the upsell just sell them the cheap bullshit they want. Should be easier to close that deal. Talk about the I herant positives of the design of the cheap shit and mention it’s a solid buy even without the extras. Boom. Easy peasy. If they walk out without a gun they weren’t intending on buying anyway

>Sell to them in a manner that appeals to their best interest.
>Identify features, and what benefits that feature has.
>Look past any of your own personal thoughts on the person and realize that they are a customer. If you like them, good. If you don't, then convince them to open their wallets.

i have a sales job, and i'm probably naturally the worst person ever to sell anything. this is my advice

>stereotype the shit out of people. if you can put a person into a group then tactics that worked on one person will probably work on a similar stereotyped person
>old people are more vicious than they appear, don't trust them or anybody really
>write a basic script for yourself, practice it with somebody, and basically go through the same shit every time. any deviation from the script is person specific and then go back t to the pitch
>if they're asking questions about the product they want to buy it. if they tell you no its because they can't afford it, and thats the only reason
>don't give everything away in the pitch, say just enough to get you by, ask for the money, then let them cry about why they can't buy it

that'll be 5 bucks btw

>Wrong.
>At least with guns most people probably walk in wanting to buy one. The upsell is where your experience comes into play. Play sales engineer. Talk up bono fide improvements of the upsell. Convince buyer that it’s worth the extra dosh. Boom. Easy peasy. If they don’t go for the upsell just sell them the cheap bullshit they want. Should be easier to close that deal. Talk about the I herant positives of the design of the cheap shit and mention it’s a solid buy even without the extras. Boom. Easy peasy. If they walk out without a gun they weren’t intending on buying anyway

yeah no. most people looking at guns dont need a fucking lesson.

Ask a lot of questions. Read books like How to Win Friends and Influence People. I've been in sales for 5 yrs.

>>if they're asking questions about the product they want to buy it. if they tell you no its because they can't afford it, and thats the only reason

correct.

M&P shield, I posted the wrong pic from my folder.

I actually like what they've done to it. They want $1,600 for it though.

Uhh yeah okay Annie Oakley “the dry storage compartments on the stock make for a much more comfortable cheek weld while shooting prone. The weight gain is negligible, especially considering it brings the balance of the rifle back towards the rear when shouldering the rifle. Well worth the extra $69 in my opinion”

See, no need to condecend to play sales engineer and upsell normie mc normison

>Uhh yeah okay Annie Oakley “the dry storage compartments on the stock make for a much more comfortable cheek weld while shooting prone. The weight gain is negligible, especially considering it brings the balance of the rifle back towards the rear when shouldering the rifle. Well worth the extra $69 in my opinion”

thats what you do after you already closed the initial sale... if you cant even get that far because you're a fucking retard then your advice is moot.

also

>if you're selling guns anybody in the store already wants to buy something. my problem was intimidating people with product knowledge. if they're smart they'll say something smart. most people prefer short concise answers than a full explanation of every facet of the product

>try to be visual whenever possible. so if you're dealing with some racist white guy looking for home defense, paint a picture in his head about some negro coming for his daughter

>avoid talking too much, so try to ask them some shit that both of you already know the answer to, just so they can agree with you. if they agree with you enough times in a row you've got them

True enough. I guess I got alittle ahead of myself there

Thanks for the advice. I have a copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" on the way in the mail. I suppose keeping things short and concise, confirming what they already know and playing to their egos will be a good tactic.

Horribly overused meme. If I use this on someone and they tell me to write something, I pull out a different pen - leaving them to sell me on why their pen is better than the one I already have.

Not sure I want to work at a call center, but thanks anyways.

Some tricks I learned in my two years of sales
>Work on storytelling, you're not selling a gun, you're selling a lifestyle and your personality
>Be quick to greet people, tell, don't ask, them to see what you want to show them
>Ask them what they do for a living, what they do for fun, the more questions you ask, the more opportunities you'll have to upsell them based on what they have told you

I'll try to think up more if you're interested, OP.

>captcha: SOLD CLOSE

That's a good sign, buddy

>good tactic.

tactics are fine, but first just be a guy they want to talk to. Ask a lot of fucking questions. People like talking about themselves. use clues in conversation to bring up personal things you have that are relative their lives.

>Horribly overused meme. If I use this on someone and they tell me to write something, I pull out a different pen - leaving them to sell me on why their pen is better than the one I already have.
although this is a Veeky Forums meme, it's not overused. its actually used by corporations to train brainlet sales people. it introduces the concept of probing questions.

>d. its actually used by corporations to train brainlet sales people.

Isnt it from boiler room?

All for learning

Being personable is something I have experience in from tending bar as a side job. I know I'm more approachable if I smile, have a genuine kind demeanor.

>genuine kind demeanor.

bartending is different I think. you don't need to have a genuine kind demeanor to sell anything to anyone. People dont buy things from kind people, they buy them from confident people they want to do business with.

Wouldn't it help? Being able to establish a rapport, a sense of trust? I know I'd rather buy a gun from a guy I could drink a beer with than someone who lets me inspect a gun, says nothing and stares at me like I'm a shoplifter.

Check'd
Here's some lines I would use, granted I sold suits, just mold it to your liking.
>"Do me a favor and try this on for me (check this one out)"
>"That looks real nice on you, I would definitely recommend this (accessory) to go with it
>"I know you said you came in to buy X, but I believe Y here would be a better option for what you're going for, it's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for"
>"You probably already know this, but, [insert insider knowledge here], pretty cool, huh? (builds rapport)
>Be sure to joke around, "Hey, when you kill that buck with your new rifle (always assume the sale, always be closing (ABC)), feel free to bring me some jerky"

>unironically didnt get the meme

>Wouldn't it help?

read your OP. what exactly is the trouble? Cant close the deal? People walk? what

Yes. We know. Be glad people don’t make the same Assumptions about sharpies as you do...

Why buy glock when you can get it for ***free***?

Read "Influence" by Robert Cialdini.

..as we do. Apologies. We are all guilty

I've always found that you just gotta be confident and have an 11inch dick.

I'm just wanting to learn how to sell. The only things I have sold were car washes I wouldn't use for free and drinks to people who were at a bar to socialize and get drunk.

If there's no reason to be personable, I just want to know. If I need to focus more on being confident in what I'm selling, I can do that. I'm taking in what you guys are telling me.

As much as I love guns, I'm not sure I'd go that far

>confident

#1. Be confident. Be personable. Just like you would if you were trying to make a friend. Be ready to ask for the sale. You just get a "feel" for that. Its almost like how conversations kinda taper off in a car when you are about to get to where you are going.... thats when.

Talk to them, identify a point of pain in their life, the product is the pleasure, the antidote.

Been here since '07... Unfortunately I do know the sharpie in the pooper meme. I'd just rather keep it as being from the scene in "Wolf of Wallstreet"

Probably the advice that makes the most sense so far.

>"Influence" by Robert Cialdini
Looks like a book worth checking out

I think I can manage that. Shooting as a therapeutic stress relief would definitely resonate well with a number of people in this area. Especially when I can point out that a box of ammo and a target cost less than a massage.

I think I could see how they work.

>Do me a favor and see how this one fits your hands.
>You handle that like it was made for you. Once we find the holster you need and a box of ammo, you'll be set.
>I know you came in with your mind set on a Glock, but this H&K might work better for what you need. It's a little more expensive, but that price comes with higher quality.

It might sound tacky, but if I can practice selling to where these lines come naturally, I think it would be a great way to succeed in this line of work.

Do fear selling. They are looking for positive reinforcement that spending their money on a gun is smart. Say things like, will you ever regret owning this gun? Might you regret not owning? Gun is like an insurance policy. Tell me why you may one day need it? A gun is a good store of value. Also, read Influence (book)