How much can you bend rules before a game becomes just role playing?

How much can you bend rules before a game becomes just role playing?

Sometimes I become too self aware that a campaign is just some sweaty guys making shit up, but when mechanics are set and there are rules to follow, it feels like you're actually playing something. Specially the random results you may get from rolling a dice, it's not just the GM and players playing pretend, there are other elements that dictate what happens.
Which is why I don't understand how ignoring some rules to do "cool stuff" makes a game funner, there is no satisfaction.
So at what point does it stop being a game? I've played a campaign where the GM (Roy) constantly said players didn't have to roll for whatever happened, or just stated things that sound cool without a roll. It takes away all satisfaction from actually managing to do something in the game yourself.

also katia a cutia

Can you recite a specific example of when Roy did something like this?

Indeed she is.

What is the image from?

A webcomic about a cute cat Spoon fed-Kun.

title?

A cute cat and making her cry, withholding senpai.

Have you even tried google reverse search?

Prequel; or, Making a Cat Cry: The Adventure

Katia is best khajiit, I just want to give her a hug

>It takes away all satisfaction from actually managing to do something in the game yourself.

I was once GMing a game of Only War, I liked the idea that enemies threw grenades too, so i wasnt babying my players. Eventuallyt we came to a point where an enemy threw a grenade at one of my more favourite players, by luck(bad) the grenade landed on exactly the hex she was standing on. Before going welp i hope you survive this, the player asked me if there was time to pick up the grenade and throw it back. I asked if she had slight of hand or some other applicable skill, turnes out she did. I asked her to roll against her agility... she passed, threw that grenade right back at the traitor guard that threw it and blew him up.

I think this is probably the right measure of both randomness and player protection: I gave her a chance, i always give people a chance.

Who is this catgirl i keep seeing around the place?

A Kajit? I was never around for the thread...

Its a somewhat popular TES webcomic that never fucking updates.

To clarify, Prequel is absolutely fantastic and well worth reading.

It also has not updated in

NINE

MONTHS

Nine's sake, Kazerad, surely shipping can't take THAT long!

You underestimate the failure of one man.

It's probably dead because it was very clearly inspired by Homestuck CYOA style comics just looking at the design and literally everything related to that piece of shit comic, even the amazing fan stuff that just used the CYOA format and art style, just fucking died.

Nope, Kazerad is still trying to make the update, but the asshole thought he was a one man army and decided to PERSONALLY package and ship a metric shit-ton of CUSTOM orders from his campaign to raise money to keep drawing Prequel.

So, yeah, not really dead, but it is fucking slow. Helps that almost every update is a lot of content, while other comics like Outsider are stuck in the one-page every half-a-year and feels like they move in the speed of tectonics.

>Who is this catgirl

She's the MC of a furry Elder Scrolls fanfic webcomic done In the Style of Homestuck, and, before you ask, yes- it is exactly as awful as it sounds.

>How much can you bend rules before a game becomes just role playing?
A game should ALWAYS be just role playing. Rules are just tools you use to enhance that.

Are you even aware of how wrong you are?

Thanks for proving you have never read the comic.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could say the world of Elder Scrolls is that original, even Morrowind. It's a fantasy kitchen sink that makes some twists to the standard races, and a complex cosmology, but that basically accounts for most kitchen sink fantasy settings anyways. Not to mention it's not even Veeky Forums related, it's from a videogame series that was never very good to begin with.

The rules exist to serve the campaign/ story. I always viewed TTRPG's as group storytelling, so when the story would be ruined by a stupid rule or bogged down by something , we would ignore it.

Remember, it's still a game and should be fun, and if you can't make the story entertaining, why bother playing?

>How much can you bend rules before a game becomes just role playing?
But the rules down on the table, draw a straight line the same length of the rules starting at one end of the rules, then stretch a piece of string from the end of the rules to the end of the line you drew, if the gap is longer than the piece of string, you've gone too far.

I'm with you, I think the "we are all storytellers" trope just breaks the game. The GM sets the bounds for the story, the players try to do things worthy of a story, but in the end the dice tell the story.

I don't have time to do RPG where the rules get in the way of fun.

Good roleplayers do better without rules. There aren't that many good roleplayers.

But it was originally based off of a RPG campaign

I agree with you for the most part however. TES has no real precense in tabletop games and it is hard to say that a setting where elves and vampires and robots run around is focused.

Really depends strongly on how the rule of cool is carried out, and how able people are to innovate based on prompts from dice rolls.

Cool stuff that the character can reasonably pull-off probably doesn't need a roll, but might take time or effort that requires explanation and provides hooks for other players and the gm to use. Cool stuff that has some risk, chance of failure, consequences, etc. should have a roll, and the results of that roll should be then told by the gm with details, hooks, etc. that the players can expand with. I find partial successes to be very useful in this regard.

Ideally this makes for a reactive, engaging story line that has unpredictable and creative results that don't really come from many other sources of entertainment. Too much rolling and everyone gets bogged down climbing ladders, weaving baskets and overly mechanical motions of 'roll to hit, i miss, roll to hit'. Not enough rolls and it become a group thought exercise at best. Those can be fun too, but its a different sort of play.

The cutest.

But the site updated a couple weeks ago with an update telling us that he's still alive and still doing things.