Pokemon tabletop battles (with minis)

Does such a thing exist?

If no, would it be hard to do? Competitive People have reverse engineered everything in the different games already.

Something that would remove the rng aspect of Pokemon stats, and instead just make it customizable for players to build their teams, and move sets based what they've been able to learn in the games?

Are there good minis you could use for the thing?

Yes, I've been playing Pokemon go and feeling nostalgic.

Other urls found in this thread:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Trading_Figure_Game
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It exists. It exists multiple times, and they're all bad, because it's almost impossible to do well.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Trading_Figure_Game

This

You'd have to completely reject the rules of the video games if you wanted it to be good.

Why is that?

Competitive Pokemon in videogame form is pretty good, and already turn based.

He's talking about a pokemon skirmish wargame, not an RPG.

The first issue that comes to mind is that progression is a huge part of the pokemon experience, with your team growing around you. How would you manifest that in a tabletop wargame?

>How do you do leveling in a Pokemon skirmish game.
You wouldn't. It would be akin to multiplayer Pokemon. They'd all be the same level, and youd just be picking your team, moves, and stat customizations.

Progression isn't really a thing in competitive games.

The same way it was manifested in the Trading Card Game?

Isn't typically a thing*
Team building would probably be point-buy, like for Warhammer.

>remove the rng aspect of Pokemon stats, and instead just make it customizable for players to build their teams

I'm all for getting rid of EV's and IV's because they are tedious bullshit but it's not totally random stat ups like say Fire emblem. Good team building already exists in the game, and if you like your spare time play something like Pokemon showdown where you pick it all yourself.

As for a wargame, you'd have to alter the normal fluff since battles are normally 1v1, unless you are suggesting a totally different Pokemon setting. Just do yourself a favor and don't play Pokemon tabletop United unless your DM is a graphing calculator or a real life porygon

Considering how much some pokemon vary in size, and battles are at most 3v3, it probably won't be practical as a minis game. RPGs however aren't out of the question. Pokeroll, PTU, ect. all do Pokemon tabletop RPGs. You can have a party much like the plot of the anime.

Maybe something like HoR Kill Team?

There's lots of sets of figures; the 144 from Amazon looks good but they're randomized

PTU/PTA is pretty wargame-y, if you let it get that way.

Just put it on a hex grid or something.

Is Pokemon Go the dawn in a new age of "augmented reality" RPGs?

I like competitive Pokemon, actually. The problem is that a lot of pokemon's mechanics are designed for a single player scenario where the computer can handle all the math, and attempting to port that to tabletop can end poorly.

That's true. You'd still have to move away from the math heavy mechanics of Pokemon core.

Wouldn't it basically just be a standard war game with elemental Rock Paper Scissors?

No, because Pokemon GO isn't an RPG.

Have any of you played Pokemon Conquest? It is much bettet source material for a wargame than the main series.

>dat full house

Also, isn't that the game where everyone has some cool or legendary partner like Charizard and Entei and then there is some chick who just has a Jigglypuff?

It's Sengoku Japan with Pokemon. Each leader represents a different type, and Nobunaga, Toyotomi, Ieyasu, and a couple others have legendaries either unlockable ir by default. You play the leader of the normal type kingdom, start with an Eevee, and yes, one of your vassals is a bitch with a Jigglypuff.

Is there an art book or something scanned to check it out?

It's a grid-based combat game- I don't have an artbook or anything, but I will post a little more about gameplay wjen I get home.

Ah, isn't that basically Fire Emblem with Pokemans?

So each Pokemon has an attack that can target certain tiles in rference to whwre the mon currently is (eg: you can only attack tiles with one tile of distance separating them from the attacker). Type effectiveness works as in the base games, but since each mon only has one attack, coverage is more difficult.
It's Nobunaga's Ambition/Samurai Kings with Pokemon, but similar idea.

Well yeah, not really a miniaturegame, but I have a squad-leader-like Nintendo Crossover tabletopgame in my mind, and yeah, Pokemon would be also playable...

More comparable to Final Fantasy Tactics, more elemental interaction and most attacks are more complex(?) than hitting adjacent targets.