/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Who Dares Wins Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/srnoahehvswn2sx/Osprey - MAA 116 - Special Air Service.pdf
liveleak.com/view?i=7d2_1274140685&comments=1
skirmishsangin.com/shop/skirmish-afrika/
mega.nz/#!DtVXyDAL!mLc_38BtPl3Y7uFgGRc6eGmWczKvDywFr4AApTtrbNY
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3698132/Navy-blow-retired-military-ship-coast-Hawaii-missile-testing-exercise-just-won-t-sink.html
mediafire.com/download/bl6vgdle5tswdud/In Harms Way - Pigboats.pdf
mediafire.com/download/pl4uqi3r5o2xvxu/MTB.pdf
dadiepiombo.it/images/stories/dp/basic2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

July 19th in military history:

711 – Battle of Guadalete: Umayyad forces under Tariq ibn Ziyad defeat the Visigoths led by King Roderic.
998 – Arab–Byzantine wars: Battle of Apamea: Fatimids defeat a Byzantine army near Apamea.
1333 – Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Halidon Hill: The English win a decisive victory over the Scots.
1544 – Italian War of 1542–46: The first Siege of Boulogne begins.
1545 – The Tudor warship Mary Rose sinks off Portsmouth; in 1982 the wreck is salvaged in one of the most complex and expensive projects in the history of maritime archaeology.
1588 – Anglo-Spanish War: Battle of Gravelines: The Spanish Armada is sighted in the English Channel.
1702 – Great Northern War: A numerically superior Polish-Saxon army of Augustus II the Strong, operating from an advantageous defensive position, is defeated by a Swedish army half its size under the command of King Charles XII in the Battle of Klissow.
1863 – American Civil War: Morgan's Raid: At Buffington Island in Ohio, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's raid into the north is mostly thwarted when a large group of his men are captured while trying to escape across the Ohio River.
1864 – Taiping Rebellion: Third Battle of Nanking: The Qing dynasty finally defeats the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom.
1870 – Franco-Prussian War: France declares war on Prussia.
1916 – World War I: Battle of Fromelles: British and Australian troops attack German trenches in a prelude to the Battle of the Somme.
1942 – World War II: Battle of the Atlantic: German Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz orders the last U-boats to withdraw from their United States Atlantic coast positions in response to the effective American convoy system.
1943 – World War II: Rome is heavily bombed by more than 500 Allied aircraft, inflicting thousands of casualties.
1972 – Dhofar Rebellion: British SAS units help the Omani government against rebels in the Battle of Mirbat.

It is 44 years since the Battle of Mirbat, during the Dhofar Rebellion in Oman, where 9 SAS troopers repelled an attack by 300 communist South Yemeni guerillas.

At 0600 the guerillas attacked the British Army Training Team (BATT) house, which housed the nine SAS soldiers, based just outside the Port of Mirbat. The guerillas (locally known as the Adoo) attacked knowing that to be able to reach the Port of Mirbat they would first have to defeat the SAS guarding the approach to the town in Jebel Ali.

The OC, Captain Mike Kealy, observed the waves advancing on the fort, but at first did not order his men to open fire because he thought it was the "Night Picket" coming back from night shift. The Night Picket were a loyal group of the Omani Army positioned on the slopes to warn the BATT house of Adoo troop movements. Realising that the Night Picket must have been killed, Kealy ordered his men to open fire. Kealy along with other members of the team took up positions behind the sand-bag parapet on the roof of the BATT house, firing at the Adoo with L1A1 SLR rifles, with one man firing the Browning M2HB heavy machine gun, with a further two men on ground level operating and firing an infantry mortar surrounded by sand-bags. The Adoo were armed with AK-47 assault rifles, and were mortar bombing the area around the BATT house. Kealy ordered the signaller to establish communications with SAS Headquarters at Um al Quarif, to request reinforcements.

There were a small number of Omani Intelligence Service personnel in the BATT House, a small contingent of Pakistani soldiers and a member of British Military Intelligence seconded to the OIS. They joined the team on the roof and fired on the Adoo with SLRs and other small arms. Initially some of the Pakistani soldiers were reluctant to join the defence of the fort because their roles with the BATT were largely administrative, but they obeyed orders from Mike Kealy and the British Military Intelligence Corporal.

Knowing that the SLRs would not be of full use until the Adoo were closer than the weapon's range of 800 metres, and lacking heavier firepower, Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba made a run for the 25pdr artillery piece, which was positioned next to a smaller fort manned by Omani Army soldiers, who had not played a part in the battle. The Omani policeman who was guarding the weapon had been seriously wounded. Labalaba managed to operate the weapon, which is a six-man job, by himself and fire a round a minute at the approaching Adoo, directing their attention away from the BATT house. At the BATT house Kealy asked for a volunteer to run to Talaiasi's aid. Trooper Sekonaia Takavesi volunteered to go.

Takavesi ran from the BATT house, with the remaining men providing covering fire, in an attempt to distract the Adoo. Sekonaia ran the 800 metres through heavy gunfire, and reached the gun emplacement. Sekonaia tried to give aid to his injured friend, while firing at the approaching Adoo with his personal weapon. Realising that they needed help, Sekonaia tried to raise the small number of Omani soldiers inside the smaller fort. The only Omani Gendarmerie Officer in the Mirbat Fort was Lieutenant Hassan Naseeb. The remaining Omani soldiers in the fort engaged the enemy with small arms fire from firing positions on the roof and through the windows of the fort. As the two men made it back to the emplacement, the Omani soldier fell wounded after being shot in the stomach with a 7.62 mm bullet. Adoo continued to advance upon both the BATT house and the artillery emplacement. At one point, the Adoo were so close that Sekonaia and Talaiasi fired the weapon at point blank range, aiming down the barrel. Talaiasi crawled across a small space to reach a 60 mm infantry mortar, but fell dead after being shot in the neck. Sekonaia, also shot through the shoulder and grazed by a bullet to the back of his head, continued to fire at the approaching Adoo with his personal weapon.

Captain Kealy and Trooper Tobin made a run to the artillery piece. Upon reaching it, they dived in to avoid increasingly intense gunfire from the Adoo. Sekonaia continued to fire on the attackers, propped up against sand bags after being shot through the stomach (the bullet narrowly missing his spine). The Adoo threw several hand grenades, but only one detonated, exploding behind the emplacement with no one injured. During the battle, Trooper Tobin attempted to reach over the body of Talaiasi. In so doing, Tobin was mortally wounded when a bullet struck his face. By this time, BAC Strikemaster light-attack jets of the Sultan of Oman's Air Force had arrived and began strafing the Adoo in the Jebel Ali. With a low cloud base making for low altitude attack runs, only machine-guns and light rockets were used. Reinforcements arrived from G Squadron and, defeated, the Adoo withdrew at about 1230hrs. All wounded SAS soldiers were evacuated, and given medical treatment. Trooper Tobin eventually died in hospital.

The 25-pounder gun (now known as the "Mirbat gun") used by Fijian Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba during the siege is now housed in the Firepower museum of the Royal Artillery at the former Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Though killed in action, Sgt Labalaba displayed remarkable bravery by singlehandedly operating the 25-pounder gun, a weapon normally requiring four to six soldiers to operate. Labalaba's heroism was a key factor in halting the Adoo's vicious assault on the emplacement, allowing time for reinforcements to arrive. Labalaba was awarded a posthumous Mention in Dispatches for his actions in the Battle of Mirbat, though some of his comrades have since campaigned for him to be awarded the more prestigious Victoria Cross.

This clash is a legend in SAS history, and a superb setup for a modern scenario.

mediafire.com/download/srnoahehvswn2sx/Osprey - MAA 116 - Special Air Service.pdf
liveleak.com/view?i=7d2_1274140685&comments=1

New supplement out for Skirmish Sangin. Seems to be set in Africa but populated entirely with Imagi-Nations, which is a bit odd.

Still I guess there's nothing stopping you just using real African countries if Imagi-Nations aren't your thing.

skirmishsangin.com/shop/skirmish-afrika/

Does anyone have a pdf to this and skirmish sangin per chance?

Afrika only just came out so I wouldn't expect a pdf just yet.

Sangin is in our moderns folder.

Well thanks enough i guess. If anyone grabs afrika please post it!

I actually like the idea of using the more stylized imagi-nations, with a bunch of players you could get some campaign action going and you're not bound to "real life" actions. I liked Skrimish Sangin's RPG elements so it would be cool to see what they do here. Nice to have something in Modern African wargaming that isn't AK47 Republic, anyway.

> I actually like the idea of using the more stylized imagi-nations

I quite like Imagi-Nations myself, but from what of seen of the Skirmish Afrika ones, they seem to have been a bit lazy and just lumped a few neighbouring countries together and called it a day.

Skirmish Sangin has been taken down from the moderns folder, anyone got a backup?

Same noob from the last thread. So I wrote down what y'all said and I only got one question left. With things like insignias on pavises and corracios, do you hand paint them or use decals?

Made these before I was edumacated, btw

if youre gonna handpaint them get a smaller brush

>Skirmish Sangin has been taken down from the moderns folder
crap, I'll put it on Mega

mega.nz/#!DtVXyDAL!mLc_38BtPl3Y7uFgGRc6eGmWczKvDywFr4AApTtrbNY

>do you hand paint them or use decals?
That seems to be mostly personal taste

I go for hand painting it (with the smallest fucking brush I can get), but that is partly to get a unified theme within and between my units for identification purposes.

Thanks mans

>ak47 republic
Never heard of this but i just looked it up
>africa setting
>needs a 6'3 table
>want to do africa
>only have a 6'3 table

was this made for me?

How is the game itself?

Depends on how good you are at painting and how complex the insignia is. A simple templar cross is easier than some complex roman legion insignia for example.

If you want to play it save, there are decals out there for almost everything. There is also the possibility to print your own decals.

>How is the game itself?
15mm (usually) company-scale action in 50s-80s Africa. Lots of emphasis on making it personalized and relatively 'lighthearted', with a cool faction system. I recommend you check out some blogs on it to get the flavour.

Didn't you do this one last year OP?

Any reccomended blogs or miniature makers for it?

I think someone posted about it in the thread itself but it wasn't the OP topic.

Also that person might have been me, I honestly can't remember.

It wasn't actually the main edition then
I was going to do Fromelles but that doesn't offer a great deal of wargaming scope. Another day and we would have had the July 20 1944 plot, which I might do tomorrow (there's a cool S&T game that covers it).

>miniature makers
Peter Pig traditionally had the main license. Google around a bit to find some blogs.

well anything that does 15mm ww2+

But Peter Pig, who did the rules, sell a range of African/Middle east forces for it.

Some more quick questions about AK47 republic.

Can bases move around individually ordo they HAVE TO stick to their unit?

> All groups in a unit must be within 1-2 bases distance of another group at the end of
movement. The gap at the outset or during the movement is not imponant.

page 75, 2009 version

not sure how I feel about this desu

If you dont like it just bodge it.

have it so that groups can be 'left behind' but if they do move it must be towards the majority of the unit.

This ruleset more than many others is meant to be tinkered with for what style of game you want and how you want to play it.

is the game fun?

It's important to point out that the game is more than just figures and battles. The political aspect and campaign elements are of equal importance. This is where my heart lies with AK47. The battle game itself is fine in my opinion, in that it allows a great deal of flexability for a range of periods with ease of play. It is however not my preffered cup tea.

But yes it is fun.

>any chance to post my post colonial Africa stuff.

>Well made up post colonial Africa stuff.

Where are the minis from?

Battlefront, QRF and Peter Pig.

Hey folks, it's been a while. Just popping in to give you guys a preview of what I'm working on next. After watching too much Peaky Blinders and reading an awful lot of material on the WW1 tunneling companies, I decided to try and recreate this claustrophobic little war on the tabletop, with a bit of help from FiveCore.

All feedback is welcomed.

Is there suppose to be a link? This looks awesome!

Clicking on the image should open the playtest pdf,

I just felt like building a knight.

A tip: give that armour a black wash then a quick drybrush with a brighter metal colour. It's a really easy way to get it to pop.

washes are missing entirely at this point.

right now its just a light grey with a drybrush of gunmetal (i have to check if my mithril silver is still useable)

Would you recommend using black or brown wash for the blue cloth or an actual blue wash?

I personally would use actual blue, followed by a highlight or two and maybe some freehand on the torso if I was feeling fancy.

>and maybe some freehand on the torso
(and the shield)

I'm really afraid to ruin my mini by fucking it up at that stage but i'll try my best

If you don't want to do it you don't have to.

Sorry on mobile

I understand the feeling, but trying (and possibly failing) is how you'll ultimately improve your painting skill. Give it a go, just repainting the chest area silver again won't take too long.

I mean blue, not Ag

Practice on paper. Like...really. It's the best way to do it.

AK47 is one of those games that everybody praises, but whenever I try to go through the rules its too much of a pain

Is there some sort of simplified re-write version of them?eeeddeeeee

Not really, it's a relatively niche area/period.

If you're not a fan I think the best bet is too take ideas from it and adapt whatever your game of choice is. AK47 is more about the subjecy matter of modern african imagi-nations rather than the game itself I think.

So it's kind of like Very British Civil War, except it's Very African.

Yes, except it't not really as fixed shall we say in terms of events. There's no Severn Valley campaign equivalent; there's no fluff outisde of modern history (it can also be used to run historical style games rather than imagi-nations, but thats often where people find the most fun).

It's more of an idea than anything but it just happens to have a pretty good rules that's popular that covers all the bases.

Is second edition of AK47 Republic worth upgrading to? Anyone can compare them?

First edition is far less refined. this may or may not be what you want.
Second edition for instance might remove troops from you in events but they're only delayed, 1st can both remove them from the upcoming battle and give additional troops (so spare models required).

Noob from earlier. Just washed my sprues and am reading them the bible to dry baster. Would Ezekial 36;26 do justice for my men on the field or is there a different verse i should be using?

great stuff, fascinating read. Based /hwg/ OP is based

Going to have to recommend you step back a few pages and go with 23:20 instead.

My friends and I are looking for a good 15 or 10mm historical game, and any good manufacturers. I really want to play mongols, and my other friend really wants franks.

how large are the figures you're supposed to use for this?

would you be willing to write a conversion for 28mm figures?

Quick question for the naval warfare types. The USS Thach (retired Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate) just ate a quartet of Harpoons, some Mavericks, some Hellfires, some 500lb Mk84s, a 2,000lb GBU-12, and a fucking Mk48 torpedo before sinking during a "target practice exercise".

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3698132/Navy-blow-retired-military-ship-coast-Hawaii-missile-testing-exercise-just-won-t-sink.html

If I were to play Harpoon 4, could an OHP take that sort of punishment in the game? Or would I reasonably be calling bullshit if it took that kind of hits and still took 12 hours to sink? I was honestly under the impression that hitting anything smaller than an aircraft carrier with a modern anti-ship missile was going to sink it, and I've heard Harpoon is the most granular naval sim game. Can an OHP take those hits in the wargame and not be just instantly scrap metal?

OHPs are statted out in Harpoon, just try it out. All the resources for Harpoon 3 are in the OP folders, there's even a scenario with an OHP iirc.

That does sound like a LOT of ordinance to take though, I'd be inclined to think it would be fucked after the first harpoon hit home, let alone 2000 lb bombs and a Mk48 torp.

From my quick skim just then (haven't played Harpoon in a long time!) a harpoon missile does 45 damage, and pic related shows that an OHP sinks after 73 points of damage...

It's worth noting the Thact was stripped all weapons, ammo and fuel before being used as target practice which are key ingredients in causing catastrophic damage to vessel, and that just because it took 12 hours to sink doesn't mean it could've been anything close to operational after some of those hits.

Ruleswise you want either Impetus, or DBA/DBM

Absolutely hilarious, user. Glad to see you're taking all the advice to heart. Make sure to post your progress here and/or in /wip/!

Go ahead and use whatever figures you've got handy, the ground scale is pretty abstracted anyway.

Sup /hwg/
I'm the user from a few threads ago asking about ACW gaming. I've decided to pick up an infantry regiment for US and CS in 10mm. Any recommendations? GHQ Models looks pretty nice and the price is decent.

Check Pendraken too.

Did you hand paint that banner? It's wicked sick.

Not my minis user (jeez I wish), they're a brand new line of Picts from Footsore Miniatures.

there is no tunnel template page. so we can't really try out the game. but it looks interesting.

A couple of things WW2 naval gamers might like:

In Harm's Way: Pigboats is a roleplaying game about being an American submariner during World War II. Pigboats is designed to emulate the feel of the historical fiction adventures of Run Silent Run Deep, Hellcats of the Navy, Torpedo Run, and many others rather than the actual history. As such, it's heavy on the adventure and romance, and light on the details.

In Harm's Way: Pigboats uses the StarCluster 3 System
-Play officers on a single submarine, or each play wolfpack captains, as well as the men of the other subs in troupe play
-Honor/Practicality Mechanic: Adds to your successes due to your reputation
-Notice: You have to accumulate Notice - the approval of your superiors - to advance in rank. In order to get Notice, you have to burn with zeal and throw yourself headlong in harm's way
-Customize your submarines when you earn the dockyard workers' respect.
-Competitive Play: There can be only one Leader. One hero. Is it going to be you, or the guy sitting next to you?

mediafire.com/download/bl6vgdle5tswdud/In Harms Way - Pigboats.pdf

MTB

Situation: The time 1942/43, the place is the English Channel. The scene set is that of the almost continual battle for supremacy between the small boat navies of Germany and Great Britain. The prize for both sides is two-fold: first, the elimination of the other's coastal convoys, and second, the control of this narrow and dangerous stretch of water.

One of several titles released by Tabletop Games which were intended to be played directly on the game table (without a map) using rules concepts from traditional miniatures wargaming. The games offered an affordable alternative to the miniatures hobby in that they used un-cut cardstock counters.

mediafire.com/download/pl4uqi3r5o2xvxu/MTB.pdf

Much appreciated! Gonna have to check those out when I get back to my computer.

What color were these russian ammo boxes during WW2? Simply "wood"? Or were they painted green?

I'd say DBA as well. Any manufacturer really. You can compromise and do Franks vs Huns.

yes

Thanks. Thats what i needed to know

Seconding Impetus.

dadiepiombo.it/images/stories/dp/basic2.html

Basic Impetus and army lists free there. Impetus is like that but with more customisation and a bit more detail.

I just made a leap and I'm gonna try out the Bolt Action game. This is what I bought on a whim. Is this salvageable?

HQ French Army
Sengalise Tirailleurs
Infantry Section
Early War French 75mm Gun
Sniper, Light Mortar & AT Rifle Teams
Bolt Action Rulebook

So would it be possible to play clay kickers in a digital format? Specifically in a /qst/. I'm thinking maybe just move circles on an overhead map and then draw in detail when said teams confront. Perhaps have only one team controlled by canons and the other qm controlled?

There you go!

You'll definitely need more infantry.

They had only one box of each infantry type in storage, so I grabbed them both. I'll be sure to add more though. But can a legal, if small, list be made with this?

you need at least 2 infantry squads and a HQ. so yes, you can build a legal small army. with veteran option you should be able to build a 500 point list with what you've got.

Sure.

Grab the Army book from the OP and get going.

The smallest playable army would be:

1x HQ unit (1-3 guys)

2x Infantry squad (around 10 guys, not sure whats the exact/optimal number for french)

and thats it.

Then you can add your support units and weapon teams (like sniper/spotter, mortar and your arty gun)

With the stuff you got you probably can get 750 points easily. You lack infantry (as others already mentioned) and a tank wouldn't hurt either.

It's included in the Classified supplement for Force On Force

Doesn't the French get a free infantry squad as well as free artillery?

russians get free infantry (or Su-76), french gets free arty.

Original user here reading the rules now. It seems I'm allowed one free artillery piece(not heavy) and since my 75mm is light(I think) I get it for free.
Also, for every third inexperienced infantry unit I have I get one for free.

Bite the bullet and do the army deal. Also check out blacktreedesign who keep having ww2 sales

A little update on my T-34.

I want to use generic red star decals for it. Since there are handles all over the turret, how would you apply them?

Like pic related? (below the handle?) Or elsewhere on the tank?

army deal?

Build an army or do you talk about the army boxes they also offer?

I dont think BTD has french though

Yeah, it looks fine there. Next time be a less generous with the model glue tho.

Either one is fine, you can say whatever you want about Warlord, but their army deals are worth it.

I'm super unfamiliar with /qst/, but it could certainly be done. The game lends itself well to online play through clients like MapTools or Roll20.

I'm looking for a skirmish game, I will be playing some casual games with friends and we will use old minis/plastic toys, bonus point if you can not only create custom lists but also customize your guys, also they are pretty new so simplicity is welcome, and it doesn't have to be historical

>you can say whatever you want about Warlord
what else is there to say about Warlord? I've got nothing but good experiences with Warlord