5e Rangers

Veeky Forums is there any way to play a ranger in 5e and contribute significantly to the party? My current character is well on his way to his death and I want to try a Ranger. How should I build? What archetype? My party is level 13 (almost 14).

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_Ithilien
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Somewhat off-topic but why did you post Faramir when there's a character who's literally called the Chieftain of the Rangers of the North?

How much a ranger contributes is very dependent on the nature of the game being played. If you spend a lot of time in one terrain, primarily fight a specific type of enemy, and/or pay attention to things like travel, fatigue, food/water, and lifestyle a Ranger can be a great asset to a team.

If the game is more like "kill random things on a grid for points" the Ranger isn't exactly terrible but it does have a lower average DPR than most other classes.

Both archetypes are viable but hunter tends to out-damage beast master under most circumstances. In general commanding your beast to attack is going to be sub-optimal compared to your own attack, but having two warm bodies on the field can compensate for that, especially if you have a sneak-attack focused rogue in the party.

just multiclass after level 8 and you're fine
or tell your gm you want to use a fixed ranger of whatever kind you want

>worrying about not being a contribution to the party in a roleplaying game
You're probably playing with terrible people, user.

I always thought of Aragorn as a Barbarian, he goes in wildly swinging a 2h weapon and never dies. When he's angry he gets even crazier.

playing with 2 paladins that both use great weapon fighter/master, power attack, smite, after bless from bard to ensure the damage. I've seen them crit for over 120 dmg at level 8. Then we have a wizard to cover all out of combat issues. Being a contribution to the party at this point is difficult.

Sounds like you need a new group.

I really do, but I don't know how to find other people. These fucking paladins are the worst too. The killed my sorcerer after I polymorphed underwater into a giant shark and started killing dozens of sahuagins. Saying genocide is bad, even it's evil creatures. Then I make a new character, we are in the underdark and find some demons performing a ritual and kidnapping people. The 2 fucking PALADINS leave them to their business because they offered us a boat to get across an underground lake. They are the worst roleplayers ever, but the goddamned best meta/power gamers. It pisses me off and I have no one else to play DnD with and I love the game. Fuck.

Sorry for the rant.

Do you play online?

No, good ole pen and paper. I'm not opposed to trying online, though.

Rangers aren't especially underpowered in 5e, they're just boring. Hell, there capstone is called "Foe Slayer". That just reeks of "we couldn't think of anything interesting."

If both paladins are melee-focused, you could be the ranged-combat martial.

Faramir is also literally called a Ranger.

I have room in one of my 5e games if you're interested. We play through discord and roll20. Groups reliable, the game is relaxed. You're more than welcome to come give it a shot if you're interested.

We currently have a Cleric, Ranger, and Wizard. Party really needs another frontline fighter or a rouge.

Because Faramir is a useless ranger.

play a rogue, take traditional ranger skills, take arcane trickster and flavour it as nature magic

alternatively, play a fighter, do the same thing, but more fighty and less skills

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_Ithilien

I have a janky schedule but if I will. My discord username is ccmatt

what's your tag number?

sent

>Anyone who doesn't fight with a completely calm and collected head is a barbarian

I'm astounded by how much of a dumbass you are.

>Veeky Forums is there any way to play a ranger in 5e and contribute significantly to the party?

Yes, it's called being a fighter who took the scout path.

Rangers aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They have a disappointing lack of a meaningful feature at 1 if you start at that level and their 20th level feature is pretty meh, but they aren't bad

A 5e ranger doesn't need much more than Horde Slayer and Sharpshooter to get him through the early levels.

The best way to contribute to your party as a ranger is to leave it. They'll benefit more from the presence of your next non-ranger character.

Not only are rangers fine if you are in a consistent terrain, Hunters require more knowledge of the combat mechanics but are very solid. The bigger issue is the lack of a TWF boost to damage or finesse pole arm.

I would recommend TWF hand crossbows to get your DPR up and trying to get the Tunnel Fighter fighting style from the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA. You'd have the DPR and some wilderness utility to be useful in your munchkin party.

use that "magic-less ranger" thing that gets maneuvers