EDH/Commander General

Budget Edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/racism-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zada-ink-treader/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gisa-and-geralf-wincest/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgjJC2etz0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/token-copies-edh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Volrath is best commander

Q's and your A's
>what was the most inexpensive deck you've made?
>was that deck still competitive?
>what are some recommended budget solutions?

Who else saw that blunder of a game that SCG Vs just played?

My first, deck which was nekusar.

Considering I tend to win with combo using Oona, yeah it still is

Don't worry about the nonbasic lands you don't have. Most of the price in a deck comes from the land, creatures and the rest are relatively cheap as long as you aren't autistic and want to foil everything

>Who else saw that blunder of a game that SCG Vs just played?

Who cares about SCG shit?

So, I am thinking of rebuilding my Doran deck. I took a lot out of it for the sake of my Sigarda. Also, my previous iteration of Doran was mildly successful but relied heavily on low CMC fatties and hitting hard with them. My Xenagos fills that niche in my heart now. Plus things were mildly voltron-ish with focus on hitting hard with Doran himself early.

I am tempted to revamp Doran with the theme "Petrified Wood" and take a stax angle. I know stax typically is esper or bant, but those do include abzan colors sans blue, and honestly I feel the white and the black usually do the heaviest lifting in stax.

Is this a bad idea, or maybe I should just go with Goglari elves stax? I just want an excuse to run stuff like Aura Shards and Elesh Norn though! Plus Tree of Perdition is such a fun new toy when combined with Vhati il-Dal!

I made a bear tribal deck. Kinda sucks

Junk goodstuff sounds like a go to me.

pirate deck, it was about $40 but i put in a dark depths for keks

yeah sure

fuck budgets be baller

Who else saw that blunder of a game that SCG Vs just played?

was no more of a blunder than any of their other games

#teamgreen

Probably my original EDH decks of Keranos, God of Storms and Mogis, God of Slaughter. I just used whatever cards I had gotten from boosters and trades and played that way. Other than that, most of my decks could be considered budget. The most I spent on one deck was close to $200.

The first iteration of Keranos was not competitive. Mogis worked surprisingly well, but also wasn't competitive either.

-Define your budget. This is crucial. How much are you willing to spend? After figuring that out, how much are you willing to go above that budget? It is always a good idea to have the ceiling defined.
-Look at cards. You might be familiar with the best cards, but sometimes the cards you'll end up using will be worse versions of those cards. Example: I think Purphoros is rather expensive. It is over $10. But Impact Tremors has a similar effect and is only $0.25.
-EDHrec. This gives me a good idea of what I can look at for the deck. Sometimes, other people have made budget versions of the deck you're trying to make.
-Ask your playgroup or friends if you can go through their binders or boxes of unused cards. I do this with my playgroup. We're typically cool about giving up cards we aren't using.

Still watching it.

Also, just to add some more stuff to the discussion:
>What do you define as a "budget" deck?

...and I pic of my playgroup. Woo.

Skithiryx,

It was mainly just slapping equipment on any random infect creature and it won more games than it ever really deserved to.

No idea. I haven't intentionally tried to make a cheap deck, it's just that some decks that I've played have been able to contain the scope of their gameplan in a relatively cheap list.

>AL's first and third precons are my two commanders that I've been playing with since release

Good for AL for not succumbing to the Ezuri/Meren bullshit of those sets

I've been trying for a while to make my Kresh deck work, but I'm sick and tired of my general not doing anything
Think I'm gonna convert it to Prossh
It's just too much effort to
>find a creature that wants to be sac'd
>find a sac outlet
>play Kresh and start sac'ing things
and then Kresh dies, when I could just be taking care of steps one and two by playing Prossh without having to draw into it

What are some good cards for Prossh that are on the less tryhard but still cool/unique side of the spectrum, if there are any?

Bruna enchantment/ voltron. Or one of the precons. I am not really sure. I just used stuff from my binder, and traded for the rest.
Bruna is pretty competitive. I rely on the general ptetty heavily. It is an alpha strike deck.
>what are some recommended budget solutions
use what you have in your collection first, and trade for the rest. The precons are a good start, even if you aren't using any of the legendary creatures from that deck. They are still loaded with staples, and other useful cards.

Or you can just switch to playing PDH.

>most inexpensive deck
Alesha reanimator. About 30-35 bucks. Its just a general beat down strategy along with as many ways as possible to get Alesha and Master of Cruelties to attack with her ability. Behind the Scenes helped a ton. I run it against my friends who use the precons still, do I'd say it's close to the same power level. I have a much more tuned version for groups that play meaner decks.

>Ezuri/Meren bullshit

I bought Ezuri so I could learn how to play UG, not my fault I had to make him in a way that upsets people [/spoiler] I don't even use infect[/spoiler]

those two commanders, straight outta the box mind you, gain experience counters at a rate that's leaps and bounds above their counterparts (mizzix can as well, if you tune him). The disparity in power is pushed even further when they are given such synergistic colors for their xp gain strategy.

Straight out of box, the precons are shit. Unless you're on a budget

I need to build a new commander as people don't like D's Stax. I was half-heartedly building allies but they're garbage. Was thinking of Grenzo gobbos, anyone have tech? I was thinking less graveyard recursion, and more of just flip shit and hope it hits. Deck would still be good and include land hate.
got a list for TH's Omnath?
or just general cards that fit it, I'm intrigued

It has been a few weeks since TH played Angry Omnath, but I remember he used Storm Cauldron, Horn of Greed, and Manabarbs. There was also a card used that caused any creature that entered the battlefield to deal damage to target player equal to its power. I remember a Serra Angel hit the field as a 40/40 and killed someone. He didn't really play his general, though.

That has nothing to do with the inherent power gap between what's printed in each of the 2015 commanders' text boxes.

My point is that even without modification (and once they are tuned, God help you if you stuck with the others) the power balance between the five commanders is lop-sided towards the Ezuri/Meren decks.

A few threads ago a few people were talking about a racism themed EDH deck. I present my first attempt at said theme:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/racism-edh/

what's the best looking foil swamp?

I use these.

"Communist Goblins"? Haha.

Post your pet cards

Silumdog zillionaire
It was at least in the powerlevel of t3, could win and specialized on beating superfriends
Black cards save money, any deck with black in it will be cheaper to get more power, and any commander that can add that color takes a load off your wallet
Buy singles

This is cool. Can you choose the same target to sac as you are to equip and just kill your own shit for free?

I just realized I'm FUCKING retarded and didn't actually post the Zada list that I promised an user.
Sorry, mate. I got sidetracked and didn't even reread the post.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zada-ink-treader/

Yes. Targets for spells and abilities are chosen before costs are paid.

Goddamn, Gauntlet of Might is expensive.

Yeeeah, that's one for the proxy table. Gamble is the same way.
Unfortunately, they're both too good to cut. Gauntlet of Power is great, but it doesn't match the strength.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gisa-and-geralf-wincest/

anyone can recommend what i should cut?

i know i am missing some zombie lords but damn lord of undeath and death baron make my wallet cry

Old Gamble is $15.
New Gamble is $8.

>Can't lose if you don't show up

Holy shit CR is cancer, please kill him. Also why the hell is there so much Omnath, Fucking Pissed in your playgroup? I thought meme commanders only had a lifespan of about 6 months, like Gitrog.

Fresh off the production line using the foil proxy tutorial posted in another thread, they didnt come out too bad

Holy shit CR is cancer, please kill him. Also why the hell is there so much Omnath, Fucking Pissed in your playgroup? I thought meme commanders only had a lifespan of about 6 months, like Gitrog.

Post process?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgjJC2etz0

I like angry omnath because it's not majorly susceptible to board wipes. You wanna WoG me? I'll bolt you 8 times in the face and put you under 10 life.

Gruul can be strong, but gruul is creature beatdown almost universally, and you needed to be able to compensate for the weaknesses of creature agro if you want a strong deck. Namely, you need to not run out of cards, and you need to not get blown out by a board wipe. Greater good, regal force, shamanic revelation, soul of the harvest take care of the 1st, and the fact that your creatures don't mind dying takes care of the second.

Can't believe more people don't use this

At first glance it looks decent, I'll take a closer look once I get home
Why no ghostly prison though?

Zendikar's Resurgent is also great and that other enchantment that came out recently that says "whenever a creature with power 4 greater enters the battlefield, draw a card."

Ancient Ziggurat is extremely underplayed too imo.

what kind of paper did you use? the same in the video or another brand?

What a card. In my brago deck.

Go for it. My Stax deck is mono black (granted its equal parts combo, but still...), so it can be done without Blue.

I want to build this. Post secret tech.

Right now my cheapest deck is my Zegana ocean deck (merfolk, leviathans, etc). Tappedout has it as just under $120. That being said most of my decks could probably be considered budget (at least from what I've seen on Veeky Forums), as most of them are between $100 and $200, with two that are between $250 and $300.

It's UG, so yeah, it handles itself pretty well in most games.

Like some other Anons said, don't worry too much about your land base to start in regards to non-basics. Unless you're going up against a T2 combo deck, basics and tapped duals should do you just fine to start.

>What do you define as a "budget" deck?
Anything less than $50.

Play the punishing fire and grove of the burnwillows combo if you can , removes a surprising amount of creatures and planeswalkers

Braids, Conjurer Adept chaos edh, everyone gets free stuff
Define competetive. It won a game or two but I wouldn't play it if I wanted to win
Having friends that have been in the game for 10+ years so they just give you tons of cards they don't need
Wat

Ezuri is easily dealt with though and is vulnerable to many strategies. I won't disagree on Meren as she does have insane power level, but if you're telling me that you can't fine tune daxos or mizzix to compete with ezuri then you aren't that good. Kalemne is shit though, better off playing Gisela

Chandra's Ignition

Ooze Flux seems underrated. There's only so many flings you can run.

I have recently acquired mind over matter, besides the infinite combos what neat combos can be used with it.

Anything? With Gilded Lotus, you suddenly have a Cadaverous Bloom. With Void Stalker you can shuffle away as many creatures as you have the mana for. You can Maze of Ith a billion things in one combat.

I mean, the card does everything. If you aren't looking for infinites, then literally any card with a worthwhile tap ability is appropriate.

got a list to that deck? i tried building a deck for alesha but gave up after a while

>most inexpensive

Hard to say. Most desks end up around $250 according to the ones I put up on tapped out, but I've never straight up bought a deck that wasn't a precon because that's retarded. A lot of the stuff I have came from bulk raids years before they spiked, so what was my cheapest probably isn't anymore. For example, Kaalia. She was probably one my cheaper decks because it was mostly reanimator combos and fatties without any fetches or shocks since it was before they were reprinted.

>competitive
Of course they were. People have this notion that you NEED to have these expensive cards in your deck or you might as well not play ever. They help, absolutely, but you can play against them just fine. That's half the fun, I think.

>budget solutions

The only "solution" is again, realizing that you don't need super expensive cards. Build with what you have, and then splurge on something you don't. For example, I'll build something and maybe drop $20 on something else if want it or have an idea. The most I've spent on a deck at one time in the last year was like $45 for a Fire and Ice to finish my suite of swords, and before that I spent $34 on an Italian Living Plane. Keep in mind that I'm the poor player in my group. I have to play against mana drain and shit, and this way has never stopped me from winning or being competitive.

>people not knowing about I am Superman

I feel old.

>tree of perdition
This shit is getting banned for sure:

>playing w/b Ayli tutors boardwipes and reanimator
>friend has 68 life
>ayli and whip of erebos on my field
>drop the tree, it immediately eats removal and dies
>bring it back with the whip next turn, tap it, feed it to Ayli
>go from 10 life to 78 life and my opponent is at 13
>scoops right away, calling it super bullshit
>I kind of agree with him

The problem I ran into using all the Zombie lords is that they take up a lot of space even in MonoB Gisa. I only recently got the expensive ones, and did fine without them, so don't worry. I haven't switched to GnG yet, but I'd focus on value first.

I'd also suggest a Gravespawn Sovereign somewhere in there, and a Phyrexian Altar.

It wont get banned when stuff like sorin and heartless hidetsugu are still fine to use

>heartless hidetsugu with grafted exoskeleton

Does that work the way I'm thinking? If so I got my next idea

Kills everyone at the table with 20+ life. Including you.

Heartless Hidestugu is much more manageable because he only does half your opponents life as damage. The tree not only takes your opponents life, it sets you up for a one turn killshot with triskedekaphobia, gains a stupid amount of toughness in return, and has one black devotion. It's going to be a staple in almost every black deck, I can't see why you wouldn't run it.

just make sure to put yourself under 20 life before you do that.

So exactly like I thought. Now I want to do this

Not how banning works. Degenerate cards (like Prophet of Kruhpix) get banned, not jank. You're aware that Sorin can do better right when you drop him?

I'll get mine next month together with old tamiyo

What non-demon/angel/dragon spells are a must have for this skank?

Stop giving people ideas. I want to keep my hipster commander, thanks.

Edgewalker.

Baneslayer and Avacyn looking good there.

Okay, I am adding a creature to help card draw in my token copy populate deck. It has to be a creature to populate and it has to be cmc 3 or less so I can Sun Titan it. Power 2 or less would be good too, since then Reveliark can get it. I already have Mulldrifter.

So, my candidates are

Elvish Visionary (Pros: Immediate effect, cheap. Cons: No other effects, poor chump blocking and even a swarm of them isn't very threatening)

Faerie Miscreant (Pros: Cheaper, Much more useful chumped and attacker. Unique and fun. Cons: No effect without populating or a parallel lives effect. No effect at all using just the card.)

Jeskai Sage (Pros: Prowess may be relevant despite relatively low numbers of noncreatures due to easy Prowess loops [Cackling Counterpart or any Populate using Eternal Witness or Archeomancer]. Cons: Dies trigger, can be unreliable, especially against bounce.)

Palace Familiar or Surveying Sprite (Pros: Flying! Important. Also cheap. Cons: Dies trigger. Hard to determine if more or less reliable than Faerie Miscreant)

Wall of Blossoms or Omens (Pros: Immediate effect, more useful on its own than Visionary. Cons: Can not be used as a win condition, unlike swarms of creatures with power)

Floating-Dream Zubera (Pros: Most potential for explosive draws. Cons: Dies trigger, poor chumper)

I'm leaning towards Zubera right now, to be honest. I don't know how reliable the dies triggers are though, given my lack of sac outlets. Faerie Miscreant I think would be more fun, but Visionary may end up being the safest and best choice. Here's the rest of the deck if you guys are interested.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/token-copies-edh/

What is a better token sweeper in everyone's opinion? Aether Snap or Forced March. Seems like pros and cons on both. Aether Snap also kills planeswalkers (and fringe cases like resetting Door of Destinies or Luminarch's Ascension). Forced March is cheaper and can also hose utility creatures if you want to pay more.

Gaze of Granite or Pernicious Deed.

My fucking Urza's Saga Nigga! I run these exact swamps in my EDH decks.

I like Generator Servant for a haste enabler. I run that in Jeleva to great effect.

Your opponent is a salty faggot and you're a retard if you think 78 life is gonna keep you safe in this format

Man I completely forgot about that card

What's the best commander for a mind control / threaten deck? Tymaret? Marchesa?

Where do you search for alter art? Or do you make it yourself?

Merieke Re Berete or Silumgar Pontiff of Bananas

Uhhh. Yasova Dragonclaw?

If you run Conspiracy any card becomes a Demon/Angel/Dragon card.

It's no better than Magister Sphinx, aside from being usable in more colors.

Once, granted this was in a casual one on one match, I got Meren up to fucking 13 counters.
Keep in mind I was playing Prossh, so said counters built up over two turns.
If I really wanted to, I could've been saccing Chancellor of The Forge or Avenger of Zendikar, reanimating them and getting a bajillion tokens.

CR can be a bit overbearing at times and is usually the prime target. He doesn't always win, but it is likely depending on the deck (particularly Prossh).

Angry Omnath is interesting since we have yet to play a game where each player with him has played him. I guess everyone just likes what he does? But, what the hell defines a meme commander?

>>what was the most inexpensive deck you've made?
$120 for Jhoira control/flier tribal

>>was that deck still competitive?
Jhoira is bullshit, so the deck did alright.

>>what are some recommended budget solutions?
Play bullshit commanders if you don't want to shell out big money for decks. Edric, Prossh, Derevi, Brago, Meren, Ezuri...they can built for very cheap. Don't run expensive tutors and skimp a bit on the landbase, and you can put together decent, competitive enough decks for many metas in the $75-150 range.

Avacyn. Followed by a friendly Armageddon

Oh shit non-angels, I can't read.
Mother of Runes and Grand Abolisher are really good

30-40$ Mayael the anima. Not competitive at all, just a tiny bit of ramp to tap Mayael and throw out fatties.

Really the best way to make it competitive now is to switch out the cheap fatties, for good fatties.

I have Doubling Season and Primal Vigor in Prossh already. Should I replace PV with Parallel Lives, or try to fit all three in?

If you use a threaten effect on an enemy dude and sac it, does Lifeline or Nim's Deathmantle bring it back under your control or does it still go back? Or does the ruling work so that when the creature dies, the threaten effect can no longer target it and the returned creature is considered a whole new creature?

That's a combo piece m8

Cut Vigor. There's almost no reason to run it if the other option is cheaper, gives you more of whats important (tokens) and doesn't help your opponents.

For