/bgg/ board game general

Unbridled negativity edition.

>what's the hardest you ever rekt somebody

>whats the hardest you ever been rekt

>is there a reviewer to whom you are rabidly antipathetic

>what game does your group adore but you hate

Pic related, got lapped twice in Automobiles, Vasel can suck a cock, Machi Koro.

Other urls found in this thread:

insidegmt.com/?p=11404
store.steampowered.com/app/365890/
boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56171/asmodee-negotiations-acquire-f2z-entertainment
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-iron-throne/
kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So Ares Magazine took a bunch of money to pay another company to produce a game, acting only as a middleman between Ecklund, the fans (one of whom was hired to revise the rulebook, I shit you not), and the printing company.

How did that even happen, was it a new player?

what game?

Dan was getting fatigued, we have a relatively even winrate.
He got a player mat and a faction mat that he already used and tried to autopilot but fucked up and couldn't recover.

Uh... Nothing great. First time I played thunderstone I totally destroyed all my friends who had played it dozens of times. Like... Huge score gap, I don't remember the specifics
I once accidentally that I was one of the spies while explaining the rules to the resistance. All my friends made fun of me all night, they kept trying to make me let slip stuff in all the games we played... And were successful too.
I don't hate anyone really. I find Niels from boardgame breakfast to be absolutely worthless... THat's about it.
For some reason I can't stand watching watch it played though. It's just sooo teethless. Just a relatively handsome guy telling you how to play with that frozen smile...
All my friends usually have taste that aligns with mine BUT for whatever reason, they all really like Munchkin. I was the instrument of my own destruction too ! I was the one who bought it, hated it, sold it to one of my friends who liked it, and now I have to play it sometimes.

Should've burned it.

Scythe

>Scythe
thanks pham

Never sell or give games you hate to friends. But I am sure you know this far to well now. This lesson is learned the hard way far too often so tame this as a PSA bgg.

i has ungodly luck at monopoly

I absolutely rekt the Roman player in Pax Romana (Punic Wars scenario) when my diversionary force crossed the alps, and managed to snatch Rome and sack it.

On the other hand, when I first played Race for the Galaxy I got absolutely smashed; as in, I barely got any points at all.

I can't stand Rahdo. He is basically a kickstarter shill and rambles on endlessly without saying aynthing. He's also another reviewer (along with most) who always says the art work is "phenomenal, just fantassstic" regardless of its actual quality. Insufferable individual.

>gencon two weeks away
>haven't played any lcgs in weeks
>not sure what board games to pick up
>tfw probably will just lose tournaments and spend the weekend drinking heavily

>>not sure what board games to pick up
All GMT

I don't think they even go to GenCon brah

oh noooo

There was one game of Ankh Morpork where I got my win condition and only told everyone by revealing my character card and putting on a huge shit-eating grin.
Too many to mention, although that time one guy cheesed the "+1 VP" thing in Viticulture was pretty shitty
The only reviewers I pay attention to are Tom, Sam & Zee, so I guess everyone else?
Not that fond of Avalon, to be honest.

Been going back over the BGG most voted, dice tower people's choice, and the week in review vids from the last year to remind myself of stuff that's come out and I haven't checked out. Just don't bother with ANA/FFG booths (or Paizo at any time before 5ish) total time sinks that detract from the rest of the exhibit hall.

They don't, but you usually find a couple copies of their stuff at the CSI ding/dent section. 6 copies of Fire in the Lake last year, only issue was shrink torn, maybe a small indentation on the back of a box, all marked at like $30.

bump

So they acted like every other publisher? Or do you honestly believe that when you walk into the offices of Rio Grande games that they have a printer in the back churning out copies of the games.

I mean, there's a lot, but probably the most desperate I've ever had someone was in a game of cosmic encounter. One guy got virtually all his ships killed off in the first couple turns, so he was stuck with basically nothing. And then he draws an encounter against me, I offer to negotiate, he agrees, we both play negotiate. I tell him he's going to give me a colony for nothing. He looks at me like I'm insane, tells me to blow myself. I say fine, no deal - and failure to make a deal means both players lose a couple ships. No big deal for me, but crippling for him at this point. I just sit an stare until he caves. On my next turn I draw an encounter against him, and use an emotion control to force another negotiate. Do same thing. And once more to him later in the game.
>pic related, mfw

Probably at a netrunner tournament a couple months ago where I hit something like six or seven traps in the same game against the only girl in the tournament. Still almost won that match, but damn. Had me dancing like a puppet.

>is there a reviewer to whom you are rabidly antipathetic.
Probably radho, since he so strongly favors low-confrontation games.

Very little, since most of their /bgg/ experience is at my hands, but occasionally someone brings a friend who brings something like betrayal or muchkin. Usually I stay quiet and just try to make sure we're too busy with good stuff, but sometimes they start yammering about how great their shit non-game is and I indulge myself in a little counter-tirade.

An interesting read regarding GMT Games current state:

insidegmt.com/?p=11404

>Unbridled negativity edition.
YYYYAAARRRRR! Let's go!

>>what's the hardest you ever rekt somebody
I play multiple war games, and have tabled opponents on a few occasions.

>>whats the hardest you ever been rekt
In 7 Wonders technology sets are victory point multipliers - not just additive. One player ended up with 6 or 7 complete sets and crushed everyone else.
I love 4x games and was playing Eclipse in 1 v 1 game. Opponent choose the green 'pod people' race. They can explore 2 hexes (and potentially claim both) with a single explore action. In short order they covered 2/3rds or more of the systems. I had better weapons tech (anti-matter cannons) but it didn't help. I destroyed 2 Dreadnoughts in a single turn of combat, and my opponent replaced both AND expanded his fleet the next turn. (Fuck me running!) Needless to say I was exterminated by turn 9.

>>is there a reviewer to whom you are rabidly antipathetic

Wil Fukkin' Wheaton. I can't stand to watch his program. From the shitty laugh tracks for piss-poor jokes to the half-assed game play-through sections, all of it makes me want to gouge my own eyes out with a spoon. The fact that he got a season funded via Kickstarter horrifies me.

>>what game does your group adore but you hate

In this I'm really fortunate. The of two groups I game with on a regular / semi-regular there really isn't a problem in that regard. I have a co-worker who's circle of friends love Monopoly and Catan and will occasionally have 'all day' marathons to see how many games of one or the other that they can finish in a day. That would NOT be my cup of tea. Now my groups will once in a great while pull out a game like Munchkin, or Talisman for shits -n- giggles. But no one argues that they're good games that we should play regularly.

>my diversionary force crossed the alps, and managed to snatch Rome and sack it.

Holy Shiz! That's a hell of a 'diversion'. What did your main force do, drop nukes?

>can't stand Rahdo. He is basically a kickstarter shill and rambles on endlessly

I can see where people wouldn't enjoy his review style. I mainly watch him on rare occasion when I want to see if I'll like a game's mechanics. And I've noticed that more than a few game reviewers (not just Rahdo) seem not to review games that they don't like. I can't tell if this is due to a desire to not alienate publishers / designers or some other reason I'm missing.

>>gencon
I'd love to go back to Gen Con in Indy. I haven't been in years. That said, the first time I went my buddy warned me about people with horrendously bad hygiene. I thought he was kidding / vastly exaggerating. To my horror it turned out he wasn't at all. The vast majority of the folks were perfectly decent with socially acceptable hygiene standards. And then there was someone 'special'. We were in line at the auction area and someone literally smelled like they had week old rotting meat hidden in their clothing. It was weapons grade eye-watering / vomit inducing level bad. People left the area because of it. I felt bad for the staff trapped in the area. How can you reek that badly and not know it / care enough to deal with it?!?

>An interesting read regarding GMT Games current state:

Nice article - thanks for the link.

>Lords of Waterdeep
>get "+2 for each Arcana" Plot early on
>keep hoarding Arcana
>also have bunch of Buildings for additional income
>points are very close for most of the game
>last round, 2 open Arcana
>Intrigue -> reveal & play 2 Intrigue -> get any 2 & get 2 Wizards
>close one Arcana
>missing one Wizards to close the other
>opponents ignore their own quest, do everything to cockblock me out of getting the last Wizard
>buy another Building instead
>win by 3 points
>tfw

>some other reason I'm missing.
Vasel said in a Q/A that they picked which reviewer got which games based on what they already enjoy. I'd bet more reviewers than not will only tackle games they're interested in to begin with, which leads to a higher rate of good reviews.

>weapons grade eye-watering / vomit inducing level bad
Last year one day walking the exhibit hall me and the wife counted how many people made us gag from body odor: 17, 9 men, 8 women. My brother in law's been going since the MECCA days back in Wisconsin, and said there's always been at least a half dozen people who could drop him each con. Apparently at one point when they gave out goodie bags instead of a bag and coupon book, they included deodorant sprays. Been tempted every year to buy a can of Axe and just hit those who need a shower but I'm sure there'd be bitching and security hassling me over it.

The shit part is, it's just as big a problem with small cons, you just don't notice it because you'll only get 1-2 people a day due to the smaller crowd size.

Has anyone here tried out the Steam powered version of Heroes of Normandie? It looks interesting (and I love the board game) but I wondered if anyone here had first hand experience with it before I drop $30 on it.

store.steampowered.com/app/365890/

>rekt somebody
Didnt happen in person, but i made a comeback playing an online game of Yomi once; my opponent almost perfected me but i emerged victorious once i got some momentum going with ~20 life remaining.

>been rekt
When it comes to games, i'm the punching bag of the group since i'm the one with the games, so i've been rekt many, many times. Whether it was getting killed before my 2nd turn in King of Tokyo, being gunned down instantly in CashNGuns or been invaded by Russia while playing as France in Diplomacy, i've got plenty of these stories. But my longest most ongoing rekage has been losing to all my fgc friends after teaching them Yomi; i'm terrible at reading people and their fighting game experience made that one a natural fit. Need to teach them BattleCON next.

>rabid apathy
Not really, I like the three main dice tower reviewers (Tom, Sam and Zee) and i'm usuallly open to checking out new reviewers.

>adore that I hate
I'm the only one with games, so i only keep stuff i like, therefore i have yet to experience a game i actively hate. I have grown weary of CAH though.

It's. . . not great. On sale it might be worth grabbing, but right now I'm not very impressed.
Took them until may to get the cards added, still have barely anything from outside the core set, and the interface is only mediocre. Definitely not a $30 product.

Thanks, that's what I'm hearing from other folks too. Sometimes the negative reviews on steam are more informative than the positive ones. Sounds like the maps are kind of small and there's a serious limit on the number of orders available and turns in the solo games.

Play it up as if you're recording an Axe commercial and I'm sure they'd be happy to get sprayed.

Anyone played Mystic Vale yet? I just picked up a copy 2 days ago, guys are coming over Friday night for game night, definitely breaking it out. I can't wait to try it, I'm been a huge deck builder fan.

Has anyone that's played it managed to draw out their entire deck? It seems very plausible.

I played it once at my FLGS the day it came out, and purchased it that day. It's great.

What do you mean, draw out the entire deck? You mean go through all of the advancements? It's supposed to happen with level 1 advancements, that's why you limit how many there are in the stack. And if you go through EVERY SINGLE advancement in all three levels, you're playing wrong. Once people pick up Hawks and Cobras, the game catapults towards endgame.

>Hardest you rekt somebody
I have a bad habit of never finishing wrecking someone. Whenever it becomes clear that I've won in a non-competitive way, I go "cool, so I won. Let's see what(/how long) it would have taken for you to beat me."
The closest I can think of to wrecking someone recently is I doubled second place's score in a game of Legendary. I went like, Thor-Hulk, and I just kept dropping monster hits on the enemies.

>Hardest you got rekt
So, um...like, two weeks ago, we played Fury of Dracula. As Drac, I made a risky call (start in Eastern Europe, figure I'd bounce around south of Godalming as he crossed to join the others) I figure, worst case scenario, it's me versus him, and I can take ONE hunter.

Turn 3 of the game, Mina pulls her special card, forces me to reveal my region. Now Godalming's not leaving. I decide "Screw it, I'll pick a fight, hospitalize him, it'll take the others too long to get here to stop an encounter or two from maturing, and I can pop up to castle dracula to heal. "

He had Knife and Garlic, and I started my assault in the day. Basically, over the course of two fights, I ate shit and died. Turn...4 or 5, tops.

Turns out that Dracula is not super great at combat.

>Reviewer
I can't say I really hate anyone, but I kind of agree with about watch it played: I liked the amount of info I gained, but I felt a little patronized.

>Game your group loves but you hate.
As the resident game owner, this isn't much of a problem for me. The closest is I play Twilight Struggle with a friend, and for some reason, as we joke "Whichever side I play is the weak one." I never catch a damn break in that game.

"Okay, turn one, I can drop Blockade in the headliner, discard Warsaw to it. There's two of his better cards out of the game, one forever."

He headlines Red Scare, I can't discard at all.

"Fuck."

12% chance, he gets the one card to screw me. It's like that EVERY game.

>I have a bad habit of never finishing wrecking someone.
I'm the same way. Anytime it was clear I could win at a Yugioh match I'd pass my turn to see what the other guy could pull off. It just makes sense from a friend point of view. Remember that time I steamrolled you? Yeah, that was fun. VS Remember the time you COMPLETELY TURNED IT AROUND after I gave you ONE TURN?

Redpill me on STRONGHOLD Veeky Forums

It looks awesome, has the exact theme I want, has a high rating, and sounds like my game group would enjoy it.

It's a quality game with high production values. That said, it's also 14 pages of rules and examples, and limited to 2 players. And has a load of small cubes and dudes.

>Holy Shiz! That's a hell of a 'diversion'. What did your main force do, drop nukes?

I had a major force of Heavy Infantry and Cavalry, with a superior general than the one in my diversionary force, waiting at the strait of Messana. The Roman player was amassing for an expansion into Corsica and Sardinia, so I sent my diversion along the coast.

Pax Romana uses a chit-pull system for turn order, so when I got two turns in a row I managed to move my army from southern Gaul, across the alps, follow the northern coast of Italy, and move on rome when it was practically undefended. I sacked it, and rebuilt the defenses.

The beautiful thing was that we both were waiting for the other to make a transport move across the water, since we both had a Naval Ambush card. Last time I played, he managed to sink about 30.000 of my Romans with a single galley squadron this way, so we were both extremely wary of it.

>boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56171/asmodee-negotiations-acquire-f2z-entertainment
Here we go again

>buying Love Letter Kanai Factory edition to replace the one I lost
>everywhere is 30 dollars
>about to buy from some dude on ebay
>LITERALLY AS I AM CHECKING OUT HE RAISES THE PRICE 10 DOLLARS

>Seller is based in Israel
of course.

Anyone backing shit right now ? I'm backing both Evil Dead and Walking Dead.

Evil Dead looks like a meh game at best, but I always loved the franchise to bit, so I can't possibly miss it.

TWD actually looks pretty damn good. I was suprised when I watched the gameplay videos. Even watched the entirety of Rahdo's vids, which I usually never do as I find him to be pretty grating when he starts rambling (and the gameplay video for TWD was RAMBLETASTIC)

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-iron-throne/

>Cosmic Encounter: A Game of Thrones Edition

Because Cosmic wasn't overpriced already?

Still waiting on my Scythe delivery, backed Conan and Massive Darkness. The former because I grew up on Conan and I really like the style/stamina system. The latter because those minis cover such a range of monsters they'll be great for PnP and RPGs. Also if I change my mind later I can just flog it.

Ok after reading the preview I retract my bitching, it looks like streamlined Cosmic for $10 less, and a theme that'll get my casual friends interested. All in on this one if it's even close to balanced.

I mean draw out your entire deck of cards when making your field. I watched AEG's tutorial vid and the girl doing it drew out 14 of her 20 cards, so it seems entirely feasible to be able to draw out your entire deck in a single turn if you have the right set up/get lucky enough. Guess I'll find out in a couple hours.

Sounds pretty cool!

Had a lot of cruisers in Twilight Imperium. A neighboring player noticed I was winning because of that bullshit Emperor card (this was pre-expansion). He sent his main fleet straight into my minefield.

First game of Dominion. Barely got anything before the game was over.

I don't read reviews.

Card games that aren't board games.

bump

I won my first ever game of Puerto Rico by a lead of >30 points. Prety good for a newb.
Gangbanged and roflstomped in Power Grid after a really bad first city choice. Got boxed in a corner and couldn't even build a second city until the 2nd phase.
Not rabidly, but Wheaton is really annoying and Vasel is a snob
I'm the guy that buys most of the games in our group, and I'm pretty OK with what I've brought to the table. Catan got old fast.

>Vasel is a snob
?

Yeah, if anything, he's the opposite.

yeh, guess I just dislike him and couldn't find a better word to express it
Sometimes he seems petty in how he likes or dislikes stuff, and his style kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's the "I'm always right and I do games for a living, so suck it pleb" vibe I get from him sometimes

He can seem a bit short at times, watch the GAMA live stream footage and see how pissy he gets with Jason's sperging out, but I've met Tom and he was about as nice as you can be. Was at a con the day before it opened and caught him and the Dice Tower guys walking around, they were pretty cool stopping to chat with some friends and their kids for longer than I would on day they weren't "working".

Wheaton on the other hand I still regret not punching in the sack every time I run into him. Guy's been rude to anyone who asked to speak with him if he wasn't doing a signing.

BUMP

ditto

3d time's the charm

>Used to have a dream of playing an entire game of Twilight Imperium
>It happened
>Get a dream of playing a full game of Virgin Queen
>Several games completed
>Now have a dream of playing a full, 10-turn, ~15-20hour game of Pax Romana's Ultra-historical scenario

I think cardboard is making me go ever more slightly insane

>Get gems so you can get gem mines so you have more gems to get more gem mines

Any recs for games similar to this? The lack of randomness\almost perfect information, not-too-indirect player interaction and simple but emergently complex rules is really nice.

The biggest draw is the simplicity while still relying on solid mechanics (instead of going full social/party game)

>slightly

Heh! You could always go with Mega-Civilization instead.

Considering snagging either Among the Stars of the Core Worlds game. Anyone have any pros or cons with either game?

I think Five Tribes could fit the bill.
>Grab all meeples from a tile
>Place meeples on orthogonally adjacent tiles, one per tile, no backsies
>Last meeple placed must match color with at least one meeple on the last tile, then take all same colored meeples from the tile
>End move triggers tile ability and meeple abilities, if last meeple is taken, player claims the tile

The base mechanics are really simple and easy to grasp, even though the scoring and djinns complicate it a bit.

Can you give me a bit of info on PAX romana, I want to get it but im not sure.

anyone got the image for couple board games?

>vasel

the damn freak wears hats indoors

If my hair was that bad, I might too.
But I'd probably just man up and shave it off.

Sure. First things first, it's definitely not for everyone. You'll want at least one friend whom you know's gonna get into it.

It's a point-to-point, Grand Strategy board game, with ´scenarios ranging from really short 2-player scenarios, to the abovementioned 15+ hour weekend project. It has a BIG focus on military campaigning, and what you'll be doing most of the time are sneaky moves allowing you to expand or block your opponents' expansion. You also build towns and cities, manage your economy, and try to keep your country stable.

The 4 factions all use the same mechanics, but their positions are assymetrical. Rome has powerful legions but no navy, no cavalry, and do not start with control of southern Italy. Carthage has a powerful fleet and many provinces, but have a hard limit on how many heavy troops they can field. Greece has lots of provinces, both in Asia Minor and Italy, but are incredibly unstable. The East starts with a huge army ready to sweep through Asia Minor, but will inevitably be plagued by unrest from the other successors (and if playing the Ultra-historical scenario, they do not control Egypt).

And then there are the events. Oh boy. You can either play with event markers (so you have 2 events per game turn) or with event cards (which IMO are far superior, but take a long time), but no matter what they'll probably be incredibly unfair. Rebellions, successor wars, barbarian invasions, and it is very possible for someone to be unfairly hit by a majority of them. But if you're not turned off by this, you'll notice that a lot of care has been put into their design. All the barbarian peoples have different invasion mechanics, all the areas have different rebellion mechanics, and Pontus can enter the fray, becoming its own micro-nation.

(cont)

One thing that has turned off a bunch of my friends is the way turn order is figured out; it uses a chit-pull system, and while no player can have more than two activations in a row, sometimes it can take a very long time between turns. But if you can deal with that then turn order can become a pretty exciting affair.

So yeah, I find it great, but I can perfectly understand why any given player wouldn't. I happen to have a friend who shares my enthusiasm, some who are willing to play, and a whole lot who wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Hope this helps you out.

You know, he could just get a plastic hair piece like any other politician... ;)

Waiting for Saloon Tycoon and In the Name of Odin to arrive in the next few weeks.

Thank you user! I actually think I'll purchase it now. You see my flat mate and I have a passion for history, his interest lies in Rome more so than I. We don't mind long though. We've played quite a few games of twilight struggle.

Maybe San Juan?

It definitely has more randomness than Splendor. But Splendor too has a fair amount of randomness in that you don't know what cards will be drawn to fill in the rows.

In San Juan the randomness in mitigated by the fact that you can use cards for multiple things-- as the buildings they represent, as goods to "sell" to get more cards, and as money to build buildings.

Looks like Minifig might have to update his /v/ related games image sooner rather than later. Looks like there's an Armored Core board game coming out...

kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game

Anyone wanna play Carcassonne or Summoner Wars on Vassal?

KS games don't get added until they've come out AND general consensus is that it's good.

I'll have to try out Vassal. I can't do it right now, but I'll see about Carcassonne.

Bump

I think the hardest I've rekt people lately was Roll for the Galaxy. 4 players and I scored more than the rest of the table put together. (Admittedly, most of the people I play that game against do not understand it.)

Any good single-player board/card/dice games?

Read a book.

Onirin is a trippy game of solitair

Gentlemen.
Commence to jigglin'.

So, how bad is the Game of Thrones board game?

It's what you play when Diplomacy is too drab for your group and you don't have time for Rex.

Could you have a dream where you play one of those big mega-games out there?
And could you dream me in there too?

Isle of Skye is an incredible game. I want to buy the designer a beer.

>dem simple rules but with planning ahead required if you want to score well
>intuitive rules that clicks in place in your mind after taking a turn or two
>every game is different since the objectives will always change, you draw random tiles from the bag and the way you score is different every turn

Is that a PnP? What are the tiles like? They look like fridge magnets.

Did Mainframe have a flavour insert of some sort with it? Also, how's Metal Gear Risk?

>friends want to leave because they've been up since 5am and tired af
>okay just lemme teach you this game it'll be super quick i promise
>teach them scythe in they remember basically everything next week except niggling points like retreats netting you a combat card and being able to play one for each mini rather in the battle

How do board game cafes work?

You have to bring a group of friends to a board game cafe to play, don't you? What kind of tournaments are you talking about?

Also they should release 7 Wonders Duel expansion already. The wait is killing me

There's a small intro that the security net for a major bank is down for like six seconds or something and a paragraph outlining the history and motivations of each character.
MG Risk is basically Risk but you can buy special commanders, action cards (p sure these are in the latest editions of vanilla Risk too actually), and Outer Haven can be driven around iirc to do thing like attack undefended coasts.
It's still Risk, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

I was often surprised how well a sleep-deprived brain can take information.

Anyway, is Scythe really only 10 minutes to teach?

>and a paragraph outlining the history and motivations of each character
Each character gets a paragraph I mean.

moar of titcow pls

I'm not transferring this shit to my pc sorry about the rotation

Mostly in Virgin Queen: losing the Ottoman capital, or just getting gangpiled as France.

Is Scythe good? Where do the main conflicts arise with other players in Scythe? Does the board have enough hexes? Could it fit with a group that can handle Virgin Queen?

>first game of Scythe took 1 hour+ to teach while playing, an additional 2+ hours to complete
Feels bad, atleast we had fun though, once the mechanics clicked with everyone turns went by very quickly.

Thanks for these, I'll link them to the Netrunner thread too if you don't mind.