Terra Nova Tabletop

>world is broken, over populated, and over polluted.
>Corporations run everything.
>A one way rift they is found to another world, one which is pristine and uninhabited.
>Pilgrimages have been sent and people are settling it, and they're determined not to repeat what happened in the other world.
>Corporate (or other faction) interests, want to take it over and strip it off anything useful to bring back to their dedicated husk of a planet and increase their own power.
>They have made separate settlements loyal to them by rigging who can't through the rift.
>They're either about to complete or have recently completed a means to go both ways.

What interesting things could you do with such a setting for an RPG campaign?

Obviously there's the obvious option of "corporation steamrolls everything, pilgrims lose". But what else could be done with it?

>one way rift
>corp extracting resources

wat?

How was the TV show? I only watched a few episodes, and the bag CGI and mediocre acting turned me off.

Pilgrims win, successfully become independent and powerful enough to fight off the corporation for the forseeable future, then over centuries become oppressive corporate scumbags anyway. Now they are even fighting to crush the downtrodden husk world.

Eh, it was alright.

Yeah that's a weird one.
In the show they manage to make travel a two-way thing in the end.

Read the last green text.
Show was okay.

Premise is more interesting than the show is.

Yeah that show was an excellent example on how an excellent idea executed poorly doesn't amount to anything.

What always pissed me off about the show was that they sent 1 fucking probe that would've been nearly impossible to find millions of years later and when they had trouble finding it they went "THIS COMPLETELY PROVES THAT ITS AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION"
I'd love it if a morality aspect came in where their dumbshit decision to only send one probe backfires and they are actually in the past and their actions are endangering the present by creating paradoxes. The corporations try to save the planet by destroying the rift, but from Terra Novas side it just looks like they are trying to abandon them there and destroy their only means of getting supplies.
So many fucking opportunities for that show. All wasted with half assed writing and acting.

But the idea was excellent.

And i can't help like feeling is a good campaign premise.

At least the writing is better than revolution.

Basically everything good about the show is in the OP greentext.

And commander Taylor.

But the writing and acting in general were both kindof weak, unfortunately.

The premise could do much better.

I don't care if it's an alternate timeline or if there are dinosaurs or if it's an alien world.

I'd be okay with it in a low tech or fantasy setting, too.

The premise is solid, even if the execution was weak.

No one wants to acknowledge these gets

And honestly, I have to agree with the others Anons on this one. The idea for Terra Nova was fantastic, the resulting show was average at best.

One of the executive producers was Brannon Braga. Known for making a lot of terrible Star Trek episodes (especially in Voyager/Enterprise).

Terra Nova is also the name of a terrible Enterprise episode he wrote. Terra Nova (the series) is the second time he's tried to make a TV series named after a bad Trek episode.

You know the Voyage episode Threshold (warp 10 turning people newts) ?

He wrote that as well. He also tried making a series called Threshold.

Compare that to the Voyager episode where they escaped through a "crack in the event horizon". An episode that Brannon Braga wrote.

>A one way rift they is found to another world, one which is pristine and uninhabited.
>One way rift
>One way

>Bringing stuff back
>???

I liked that Threshold series.
How bad was it, really?

It never sounded interesting enough for me to watch after I heard that Brannon Braga was involved.

>only reading half the op and then responding like there's a contradiction when the answer to your question is right there in the post.

You're the second person to do this, and it's already been explained to the first guy.

Why? What's the problem, seriously?

>one way rift to a new world
>want to strip it and bring things back
>they're about to complete, or have recently completed a means to go both ways

>competed a means to go both ways
This is clearly how they intend to bring things back.

>Completed*
Posting from my phone

>Huskworld completed their means to go both ways.

>Novaworld and it's allies in huskworld maintain control over the only stable rift.

>The other means to get in have about an 80% chance of arriving 10 miles up, or in the ocean. Or underground surrounded by miles of rock. No way to know before you get there, and the secondary rifts only stay open for about three seconds, and opening a new one takes a great deal of time and money.

>the husk worlders have to rely on the Nova world controlled rift, as it's the only stable way between the worlds.

>Novaworld grows, husk world has to rely on spies and the like.

>Invasion attempts ensue.

>They try to take control of the rift on their side, if nothing else.

>Novaworld gradually industrializes to defend itself, but while keeping their world in good condition, and husk world has a more and more difficult time getting in.

Now that's the way I'd take that setting.

>spies
>hidden secret factions.
>jealous husk of an ancestor world with superior strength and numbers but unable to mount a proper invasion.

Cue adventures.

>eventually nova world locks down the rift somehow, and only opens it for negotiated trades with the people from huskworld

>somehow
Force field
underground chamber filled 50ft deep with water, which they have to suck out to use the rift
Whatever.

Locking down the rift is easy. Place a big fucking bomb where the rift opens. If someone sends in a force that can threaten your guards, blow the bomb.

Make sure Huskworld knows about it.

Sure, that could work.

If the rift can't be destroyed though, though could send more through 2 minutes later.

True. So you have a bunch of missiles aimed at the site.

Remember that the rift is going to be a choke point that any attacking army goes through. There are plenty of ways to secure it.

I forgot this was a show and got really excited about a tabletop version of one of my favorite childhood PC games.

Not the only one, user.

Not the only one. We'll never help the Hegemony spread its glory to the stars.