Which system would be the best for an Asian themed game but without the usual anime style exaggeration and players...

Which system would be the best for an Asian themed game but without the usual anime style exaggeration and players cutting armored soldiers in half?

Legends of the Wulin?

GURPS

Not kidding. If you want something down to earth with hard limits on what the human body or similar is capable of, then build the game using GURPS.

GURPS is a real pain in the ass to GM though. Too much unnecessary rules.

I adore Legends of the Wulin, but it's on the over the top end of the spectrum, even if you play it at its most subdued.

Qin: The Warring States for chinese style stuff or L5R for Japanese stuff are two lower power games you can look at.

what time - Shogunate ? Bushido

modern ? GURPS

SciFi ? Probably GURPS, maybe Cyber punk, depends on your Chiba quoitent

have fun, play nice

Warring Kingdoms seems the most interesting.

Most unnecessary rules in GURPS are optional, though. At it's core the system is pretty simple before you start adding on a bunch of optional rules, and then you have a few optional rules that simplify it further.

How are Savage Worlds in comparison to GURPS?

Fairly easy to learn. Designed for more of a high flying, pulp feel rather than GURPS' grittier one. However, there are rules to make it more gritty. A quick look around online will find them for you.

Use a WW2 system. Play as the Chinese fighting the Japanese

What would be the best standard WW2 system? I have honestly wanted to do something as nationalist China.

Nechronica

But that barely has anything to do with Asia.

I've found it incredibly easy to GM, and this is from someone who has only GM'd four sessions. Just don't use all the extra rules and go with what is necessary

why not play a normal western-european game then? what's the point in asian culture if you don't go wuxia?

Legend of the Five Rings

>why not play a normal western-european game then? what's the point in asian culture if you don't go wuxia?
wat

GM for both GURPS and SW here.

They are apples and oranges.

SW is far from gritty or realistic. It is designed to be quick and easy to run and combat is deadly by default. Yes it has a death spiral mechanic and yes there are optional rules you can use to make injuries even worse, but it is far from the grit and crunch of GURPS.

Qin

That's just a different kind of exaggeration I'm afraid.

GURPS.
If you're looking for realism give them 30/-30.
If you want to let them fudge it a little 50/-50

GURPS Lite is GURPS.
The corebook is like GURPS + all the bells and whistles you'll ever need.

Generic White Wolf rules can be adapted to just about everything as well.

Need more details - what genres are you looking to do? What part of Asia?

You could do anything from 1930s hard-boiled crime drama in British Hong Kong to epic romances during Heian Japan. Systems are more about emulating genres rather than geography.