WIP Work In Progress General

Don't be a shithead edition.
That means YOU!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/40K-Eldar-Guardian-Single-Figure-Bits-/201043550710?hash=item2ecf2121f6:g:LFUAAOxyJX1TDj8o
spellcrow.com/space-elves-c-9_42.html
statuesqueminiatures.mobile034.com/p/8774376/sma301-heroic-scale-female-heads.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've been working on this guy for the last few days, I need to finish all the metals, they're looking a bit rough at the moment.
I don't think the gators turned out very well, I really struggle with painting alligators.

>I don't think the gators turned out very well, I really struggle with painting alligators.
Did you use a reference?
Always use a reference.

[spolier]Malifaux sighted in the wild![/spoiler]

Maybe a gloss varnish on the 'gator?

Then go back over with some much lighter (quantity, not colour) drybrushing, so you get the shiny-but-not-too-shiny scales.

I absolutely do not think it needs a significant re-paint, but if you were going to do a lot of work to it, possibly work more colour graduation dark to light from top to bottom, as 's pic.

Bought my first airbrush and compressor today. Spent far too much on the compressor and now I'm scared to even start using it because I might break it.

How thoroughly do I need to clean it if I only do a short session of work? Also no idea how much ventilation I need.

Reposting my orks I finished (expect banner)

you're definitely right about the graduation i've got going on with the belly scales, I need to blend them in more. As it stands now i'll probably just move on to painting something else and come back to him later, I really didn't enjoy working on the this model

When I saw the model (poking around the Gremlin line) I did think that the 'gator was needlessly big and completely overshadows McTavish himself, which is a shame.
The model might work better with the lizard behind him, but the current set-up just doesn't work for me.
And that is so fucking much green, khaki, tan and brown to put onto plastic that I can really believe that you didn't enjoy painting it.

I've been painting a bunch of Arcanists with a semi-unified green and purple scheme (first box was Colette) and there's just too damn much flowing cloth and broad blocks of colour on some models.

is it possible to buy the clear "glass" part of an Immolator turret anywhere? talking like a knock-off replacement

Pre apology for shit cell picks but I don't own a real camera.

Got some wips of my first terrain. It's the first floor to a old British building.

And pic 2/3

>Soda Pop & CMoN box
If that is Relic Knights, I'm sorry.

Last pic is what I did today (kinda)

It's just the boxes, but I ended up spending the day trimming and cleaning my recent haul. Currently they are drying so I can prime them tomorrow. I also cleaned up some khador character packs as well (part of the stack)

It is, and don't worry I literally got it for a few bucks and I just like tech oni so not a loss to me

We don't live in fucking barios mate.

We will.

speak for yourself

Would it be weird for a non-DA librarian to wear robes over their armor and a cloth hood over their Psychic Hood? I recently got a pack of DA veterans from a friend and was thinking of converting them into Librarians for my Flesh Tearers since I have none right now.

I like the idea of them wearing red or black robes so they won't stand out as much as they would with pure blue armor, but I'm not sure if it'd fit lorewise.

Similarly, I think I'd have a hard time fitting a jump pack onto a model with a Psychic Hood made out of a shoulder pad, something the Ezekiel-style hood would allow me to do rather easily.

What do you guys think? I don't have much of a use for these guys otherwise, no one in my group plays DA.

Also, is a beakie librarian a stupid idea? I already have a beakie Sanguinary Priest and a mostly beakie death company.

what's up with them?

just go for it,it really fits a librarian of all

Relic knight is geared heavily to one team that is op, racer circuit I think. The team is solely based on speed and can crush any other team due to being able to lock down all objectives for a shut out regardless of skill. Personally I like their mini's and I don't really have an issue with them, granted I also like some of their other games.

got it, thank you

Those bases make the models look like garbage

So I was bored and did this. Tried to spruce up the presentation because of my new potato camera

I don't really know how I want to do the armor though. Caught between NMM tarnished silver or gold

Goddamn it.

/r/ing the johnny paint scheme roller pic

i would go with NMM gold

Your purples on the skin highlights are in reverse.

I agree with silver is bad for wolves

Are you still triggered from the last thread?
Think you need some cream for your butthurt

>hating on green bases

>not putting this mongoloid in his place in the last thread so hard he leaves Veeky Forums forever, or at least 24 hours

You have failed the lord of goblin green bases.

>Don't be a shithead edition.
>That means (YOU)!

100% him.
100% butthurt.
100% shithead.

What the fuck? Do you have me confused with someone else that didn't like your bases?

No its fucking retarded to argue with someone like that. Let's look at a critique
>I don't like this
>Why?
>because X is bad Y is thick and Z looks lazily done
>Oh ok, I'll try to fix that
Compared to this moron hating
>I don't like this
>Why?
>because it's bad and it's ugly and I don't like it and it's shit, doesn't work because I said so.
Why would I take this as proper criticism? I wasnt basing poorly. I can show you my eldar I can fucking base like a motherfucker, it was a deliberate decision and if you don't like it keep it yourself, because the purpose of wip is to ask for advice and show off, not announce your shitty opinions.

A guy last thread explained for like 40 post that it looks bad because the models aren't old when they really are

He knows what he did last thread.

>Don't be a shithead edition.
This guy gets it.
This guy doesn't.

>is it possible to buy the clear "glass" part of an Immolator turret anywhere? talking like a knock-off replacement

Hmmm... I wonder if you could use the nose of a Heinkel He-111 of a particular scale as a substitute ...

An nscale Battletech figure for Alpha Strike

There are pieces of lemon peel floating down the Thames that would make a better Regent than you!

Its more of a blending expirament. For some reason I'm really into magenta-cyan. In this its a little different since Im going from purple in the core to a reddish magenta on the extremities with the blue fur.

Okay, I'll do that. Not super sure if I should do all gold or if i should do another color in the middle?

>Would it be weird for a non-DA librarian to wear robes over their armor and a cloth hood over their Psychic Hood?

No. In fact, while it is hardly canonical, David Pugh's Obvious Tactics features a Blood Angels Librarian named Troilus who looks very much like Ezekiel (pic related - that's him on the right).

>Similarly, I think I'd have a hard time fitting a jump pack onto a model with a Psychic Hood made out of a shoulder pad, something the Ezekiel-style hood would allow me to do rather easily.

You *will* have a hard time. I had similar difficulty fitting a jump pack to the back of Turmiel, the Dark Angels Librarian who comes with Dark Vengeance. By gluing a small rectangle of plasticard to the back of his armour, though, you might gain just enough clearance to pull something like this off.

The green on the trim and the color of the flock doesn't match very well.
Having your base be a similar color to your skin looks unnatural, especially since Orks have quite a lot of visible skin.
The colors on the base are much brighter than the actual models which causes the eye to be drawn to the bottom of the model, rather than the models' faces or weapons which should be the focal point of a miniature. Look at the thumbnail to get a clearer view of what's bright and what's dark.

Are you happy? Have I proven myself not to be that other user?

Green bases can work, but they really should match the models (e.g. Blood Angels that are almost entirely red, the complementary color to green) and have at least some amount of sand/dirt to break up the monotony and make it look like a field rather than a golf course.

So what colour should the trim be?

>What do you guys think? I don't have much of a use for these guys otherwise, no one in my group plays DA.

You could sell them, you could melt them down (are they metal) and recast them into something else, or you could give them gold helmets and make them your Honour Guard.

>Also, is a beakie librarian a stupid idea?

No. Beekee Librarians have been canon since First Edition (pic related).

>I already have a beakie Sanguinary Priest

They called them "medics" back then (not even "apothecaries"), but they were beekees, too! The lad in this picture is from Third Edition.

>and a mostly beakie death company

If you bought the Second Edition boxed set, half of them were in Mk VI armour!

Pink. Hot, fresh, and new!
It's 39,916 after all.

there's an immolator on ebay BIN for $40 free shipping, I'd snap it up but it doesn't have the glass piece..

Epic xd

that base is sick

>gg & flock
>over a million served
>garbage

Stay pleb, newbie.

To solve the first and third problem, I'd say a moss green or avocado green. The flock leans heavily towards red while the rim is almost pure green, with what seems to be a small amount of blue. Moss/avocado or similar is a redder green but still darker than the flock, so it wouldn't catch the eye as much. I'm also a much bigger fan of static grass than flock, especially Army Painter's Steppe Grass which looks a whole lot more natural than pure green grass/flock.

The second problem can't really be solved while still having a green base and green skin. You could try to experiment with the skin by making it a lot brighter or incorporate shades of brown into it to differentiate it from the base. If you're open for other colors, I'd say desert tan, dirt brown and pure black all work well with your overall Ork color scheme.

Thanks, I'll pick up some avocados and rub the on my rims of my base when I head out next. don't worry I'll actually use paint.
Let's try to get this thread back on track, finished my kannons and crew. How's it looking?
The giant q-tips are the things to pack cannon balls and gunpowder in incase your wondering

This guy is the coolest guy on tg guys, come check him out!

>pack cannon balls and gunpowder

Or other grots. Looking good!

>there's an immolator on ebay BIN for $40 free shipping, I'd snap it up but it doesn't have the glass piece..

Sorry, m8. That's a stretch even for me. I sold my Sisters army years ago, and the Immolator I had was the Mk I.

It's a long shot, but maybe you could ask in the bitz sub-forum on Bartertown.

I'm just starting a Sisters army, only got so far as to prime 5 sisters though. It came with some Mk I tanks but I sold them to fund the new style ones, it's just that the new ones are rare and hard to get for a decent price too.

Last update for these. I finished them at my lgs, but didn't take the finished pics before i gave them back to the guy. Rip.

And some grots just to keep the thread kicking through the night

Did you do a commission? They look nice but that base is lackluster

what's a cheap way to practice for baby's first custom paint job?

Get started kits like the AoS one or Dark Vengeance.

There's even cheaper ones though. Most factions in 40k (and some in AoS) have little $8 - $10 packs of 3 - 5 dudes but they are the shitty two part models and not complicated ones where you can choose the pose.

Failing that, you can go on eBay and find sellers that sell individual troops from the boxes with random bits, that way you can get the exact faction you want. ebay.com/itm/40K-Eldar-Guardian-Single-Figure-Bits-/201043550710?hash=item2ecf2121f6:g:LFUAAOxyJX1TDj8o This guy does this with every base troop in every faction pretty much, and some elites.

GW sells Snapfits of 3-5 models for 10 bucks for most almost all armies, you could buy those

That's what I did to get started, bought that Dark Vengeance when it came out. Once I was done painting every model, I sold them for pretty much nothing except for the termies. Stripped those dudes, repainted them and made them look pretty good after applying my newfound experience, then bought the army I really wanted afterwords since I was confident in my ability to shade, highlight, and other shit.
Now my Necrons be stylin', yo.

What mark of helmet is the bottom-left supposed to be? It looks like it's the same Mark as the one the Company Champion has.

Is it supposed to be Mark 2?

Finally got Chaska done. Really happy with how he turned out; the furs in particular look great to my eye.

It's Mk VII with a solid knight visor mouthpiece, like GKs have.

GW calls it "Mk III" but it looks nothing like what Mk III visors should look like. Venerable Dreadnoughts and Black Templars also have this helm.

Started putting together 2 units of Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges, got both finished, but can't paint because moving in a week.

Makes no sense, do you

>GW calls it "Mk III" but it looks nothing like what Mk III visors should look like. Venerable Dreadnoughts and Black Templars also have this helm.

It does look a *little* like the armless Mk III - the model in this picture.

According to the early lore, the Mk IV was the first mass-produced suit that was both fully-enclosed *and* had a helmet that moved with the wearer. The Mk III's helmet was sealed in place, and the marine had to turn his whole body to see to his left or his right, although auto-senses did help with situational awareness.

GW wants to claim that Forgeworld came along and changed all that, but years before there even *was* a Forgeworld, Citadel sculpted a Mk II with a helmet that could obviously turn.

>7mb picture
jesus people

Posting early stages of my keeper of secrest inspired by awesome Blanche art. Still lots of work to be done especially head and back. This will certainly be the most complicated green stuff work I've ever done.
Wish me luck bros.

>keeper of secrest

Fuck my stupid phone

To the guy asking in the previous thread.

The death guard is:
Armour: rakarth flesh, agrax, rakarth, us habit bone.

Green: death world forest, agrax, death world forest.

Gold: AP greedy gold, agrax, AP greedy gold.

Metal: iron breaker, agrax, nuln, ironbreaker

Lens: fire dragon bright

>Blanche art inspired models

MOAR

can you post some closeups of those cannons?

my local gw is teasing tomorrows copy of white dwarf debuting new 'scenery paints' anyone have any info on these?

I did it for whatever he was willing to give me. In this case, free food. Also I didn't build the models, just paint them.

do you mind if I chain you up in my basement and have you paint my minis in exchange for keeping you alive with some food?

Holy Shit guys
i just had an epifany while doing some Drawfag shit.
On Metallic sections, or Black/grays. On the raised section Put a feint Streak of a bluey version of that color.
It makes it look like Light is catching the surface. Adds Tri Dimensional factor to otherwise Blank shit.

I would like to see the hammers replaced with glowsticks. These are such silly mans.

Nice work.
What's the plan for the bases? Also I'd suggest some blending on the blacks they're looking a bit flat at the moment.

I just started to paint some citadel miniatures and am now in the market to get the proper tools like in pic related. Is there a cheaper alternative that is just as good? I ask because that always seems to be the case for this kind of shit.

Pretty good. Couple neatness issues around the bandages, nothing that isn't an easy fix though.
Am I remembering right that this is your first mini?

I'm guessing from the base that this is from that newish bloodbowl knockoff looking game?

armypainter/privateer press do some good tools. in general, go to your local friendly local games shop or hobby retailer and just browse their stock, ask the staff for their recommendations, most of my tools are a mix of modfx, privateer press and independents i've found at good prices

>Is there a cheaper alternative that is just as good?

Pretty much anything.

>I ask because that always seems to be the case for this kind of case

It is. But at least the current generation of Citadel overpriced shit is nicer and classier looking to warrant the price. Also worth noting is the clippers are shearing types so your bits don't fly across the room when you're clipping. You can probably get a cheaper shear type flush sprue cutter from another company.

I just use Army Painter tools. Slightly more expensive than hardware store tools but still pretty cheap only a few bucks per tool and you know their size and purpose will be tailor made for miniatures and not construction work.

Yeah most of them.

Go down to your FLGS and see that they have. Most brands have something along those lines.
Army painter has a general one like pic related.
Gale force 9 has a very nice tool roll full of sculpting tools for quite cheap.
I suggest finding the good versions of tools and buying in parts.

I have the old GW pin vice and side cutters for example because I like them. But my other stuff is a mish mash of what I found that seemed the best or most cost effective (note that doesn't mean cheapest).

Thanks for the feed back. Will stop by at my local art store and see what they have in stock and then ask around at the games store.

Is citadel paints any good or should I try other stuff?

Citadel paints are good but they've gotten really expensive recently. Normally I don't complain about things being expensive because I have a 100% non-recast FW army, but now that they've broken $5 a pot, there is zero reason not to use Vallejo or a cheaper brand that is equal or better quality.

If your store has Army Painter, Vallejo, or even Privateer Press P3 or Reaper paints, use those instead. I only buy Citadel now for their washes and technical paints, and their metallics if VMA doesn't have that metallic color.

The paints are good, but the pots are shitty in design. Vallejo have every shade manufactured by GW plus more and are supplied in superior bottles whilst being cheaper. The base paints and washes made by GW are invaluable for a newbie, however.

Thanks, will keep my eye out for those paints then.

I prefer GW style pots for washes over droppers. I also find Vallejo washes not as nice straight out of the pot as AP, SW, or Citadel washes.

Whatever you do, don't buy the current GW hobby knife, it's a piece of shit, just get an exacto knife, much better quality and the blades cost like 2 cents

reposting this, really curious as to how they got this look but i can't find anything on the website i found it at.

It's just shitty ass drybrushing. The green is just green wash over white.

also, my attempt to create something similar. no where near how i expected it to turn out but still happy with it. I used texture paint, wash, and exacto knife scratching. I think I'll do without the texture paint but it could be used to great effect to make an aquatic themed army to simulate barnacles IMO.

That's a pretty simple basecoat -> ink wash -> drybrush scheme. Pretty much all they did.

i'm refering to the carapace. the normal model is totally smooth so it's not just drybrushing, there's definite texture of some kind there, or some sort of wizardry i can't comprehend.

Adding to the pile. Vallejo is top notch, their washes are pretty good too.

Bad dry brushing can do that over thick paint with brush strokes.

Otherwise it might be liquid green stuff.

What do you like about the pots? I find them a pain to get set quantities onto the paint pallette. Also the dropper bottles keep your paint in great shape.
Many of my GW ones have dried up within the time I've had the dropper ones.

So I kinda wanna start an eldar army... Craftworld, not Dark Eldar. Dark Eldar can suck Slaaneshian cock for all I care, but I like the Craftworld eldar and kinda wanna start building. What kinda put me off starting an eldar army sooner were the helmets. It sounds stupid and I like everything else about the eldars design, but those helmets just look fucking retarded.
If I were to build an eldar force, I want them to not wear helmets (which I know doesn't make sense, why would you not wear a helmet for extra protection?). I have seen some GW Elf heads that come with the Eldar set (appearently?) and they look terrible. Also, there is a low quota of women among those heads... like, I played Eldar primarily in Dawn of War and almost every Unit featured a female voice so it just seems weird to me to play eldar with a low female qouta...
So, can anyone kinda recommend some place where I can get good looking elf heads (Both male and female) that I can put on eldar bodies?

Spellcrow has these. You might like the helmets better there is also bare heads but only all male.
spellcrow.com/space-elves-c-9_42.html

General female heads here
statuesqueminiatures.mobile034.com/p/8774376/sma301-heroic-scale-female-heads.html

More searching might yeld more. Bits sellers on ebay could get you the female heads off the normal sprues too.