/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Devourer Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyZSUQBWw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What D&D monsters do you want to see in Volo’s Guide to Monsters?

>tfw one player in your group makes stupid meme characters but he RPs them perfectly

First for sorcerers are cool but you should buff them slightly in your games.

I'm already hyped for vargouilles being confirmed.

More dragons.

5e is my first edition, so I have no idea. I do, however, love the idea of Slaad control gems and Shield Guardian control amulets, so I hope there's a lot more like that.

with 3-4 pages dedicated to each individual dragon type?
Or should there be more?

Anything that is distinctly NOT Forgotten Realms. Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, whatever.

Knowing that's not going to happen...

Things that haven't really been explored all that heavily in previous editions.

Far Realms monsters.

New monsters.

Interesting new playable races that will preferably be allowed in the Adventurers League.

>Interesting new playable races that will preferably be allowed in the Adventurers League.
Oh man. Imagine the sudden influence of catfolk, goblin, and kobold characters in AL games come December if they make it AL-legal. It'll be glorious.

There's probably no chance of it, but a back-section full of Dire/Pleistocene-type beasts.

And sea serpents!
Basically, mid-to-high range non-magical monsters.
Fuck adding more Dragons and Giants, they already eat up too much of the MM, and are simple enough to homebrew.

I will immediately go Kobold if they are allowed in the AL.

I love caveman type stuff.

Sounds about right. Draconomicon style just for the base dragons. Or else they could give us more dragon types (tartarian, radiant, chaos, oceanic etc) with about as much info as the current dragons in the MM.

Lots of creatures like the Pheonix got left out in favor of retarded Fiend Folio shit like the Flumph and the Grell.
Some smaller and massive Elemental types would be nice too,

I was being sarcastic, they pissed away too many pages on the Dragons in the MM, and we really don't need to start getting lazy-mode with variants like Fog Giants and Cloud Dragons at this point.

I don't know why you'd object to more descriptive entries to the DRAGONS of Dungeons and DRAGONS.
The MM still has a fuck ton of shit.

I might be overlooking it, but is there a limit to how many times per day a halfling can use the Lucky racial trait? I can't seem to find anything that lists a limit.

>Volo’s Guide to Monsters
An explanation for why they would do this instead of accompanying Curse of Strahd with a Van Richten's Guide.

That's because there is no limit

there's no limit

Giving full-sized stat entries to each age category of each type of dragon as a poor use of space.
But that's my opinion. Unless you are running Dragonlance, there's probably a limit to the sheer number of times the party is going to fight dragons by mid-level.

Nice. Thanks anons.

you're welcome bud

Since age categories is more relevant to dragons than to almost all other monsters, I would disagree with not wanting their stat blocks listed.
A 40-year-old dragon is far different than a 200 year old dragon is far different from a 1000 year old dragon. A goblin is essentially at age to be a combatant and thus warrant a stat block or it's not.

That is some ballin' devourer art.

Alright /5eg/, I got an issue. I'm whipping up a conversion for Star Wars, and I have hit a roadblock at races. Specifically, there's FUCKING THOUSANDS of them.

Do I just make some generic/broad racial bonuses and such and call it a day?

Make stuff for the most iconic ones (twi'lek, wookies, etc.) and if a player has a more "out there" request, whip it up for them.

you could just have a statline progression by age chart that you apply ontop of each dragon type.

I mean, sure a 40-year old dragon is different from a 200 year old one. And a white is different from a red. But how a 40 year old white changes into a 200 year old white, is basically the same to how a 40 year old red changes into a 200 year old red.
Minus a few special powers to each type that don't need a full stat entry, just a couple lines under each dragon type.

That would've made using the MM as a reference a pain in the ass for DMs when it comes to dragons.

^

IMHO, an encounter with a dragon above the very young stage, which would be the stateline they start with, should be a significant thing.
And Gm should know to actually take a bit of paper and write out the details on any significant encounter. So you use the table in the MM to write out the stats, then quick consult the paper.

Having 5+ different stat blocks per dragon type in the MM would also be a pain in the ass, because you'd inevitably lose track of which of those blocks you're suppose to be looking at mid fight, or flipping through 15 pages to find the right dragon and age category.

I have a player that's insisting that everyone gets a bonus action every turn, but I can't find anything to corroborate that and he hasn't either. He's wrong, right?

you have a bonus action each turn, but you don't automatically have a thing you can use that bonus action for.

You have a limit of one bonus action per turn (and one action, and one reaction). You don't 'get' one for free though, you have to have some ability that is used with a bonus action.

>Having 5+ different stat blocks per dragon type in the MM would also be a pain in the ass
It's not. It doesn't take a genius to remember "young black dragon" is what you wanted to show up rather than "wyrmling black dragon".
>15 pages
All of the age stat blocks are 3 pages.

Alright. Which ones are considered the most iconic? I know there are some I personally call iconic, but I don't know what other people think.

Characters get +2/+1 to any stat. Each race has unique traits rather than attribute bonuses. Come up with the traits for the most common races first, then develop more exotic races as needed.

>It's not. It doesn't take a genius to remember "young black dragon" is what you wanted to show up rather than "wyrmling black dragon".
half way through the fight you look at the wrong block, because there are 5 of them.
If you don't think this will happen, i don't believe you've actually GMed ever.

>All of the age stat blocks are 3 pages.
for every dragon type?
Or are you basically doing the reverse, of having age stat blocks, then applying dragon type on top of that.
Which I'll admit might actually be easier than what I suggested, but basic idea of one section of stat blocks then applying types onto of is better than a full stat block for every type and age.

>Characters get +2/+1
Mountain dwarves and half-elves laugh at you.

That's a really pathetically weak objection.
>If you don't think this will happen, i don't believe you've actually GMed ever.
Because I haven't DM'd thousands of hours over a decade and a half. Yeah.

Are they going to make a 6th Edition any time soon? I'm interested in buying 5th but was worried they'd make some sort of new edition right after I spend money or something.

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with how they make new editions for D&D.

and you haven't had two very similar stat blocks in front of you and accidentally used one when you meant to use the other in all that time?

New editions happen about once a decade, and this edition is pretty young. I'd guess at least 5 years until 6e.

Everyone gets a bonus action, but only certain abilities, spells, and attacks can be done during a bonus action. For example, a fighter wielding a shield takes the shield master feat. Each turn, they can use their bonus action to shove a creature as long as they wield a shield. that fighter also has the option to use their bonus action to second wind once per short rest, but can't shove a creature the same turn they use second wind.

There were eight years between 3rd and 4th, and six years between 4th and 5th. It's only been two years since 5th, and it's been well received as opposed to 4th which was widely disliked, so it'll still be around for several years to come.

Also, it's not like you need to buy the books immediately if you're wanting to try the game out, you can find them all as .pdf's in the mega in the OP

Then do +2/+1/+1. Or +2/+2. Or give races with more powerful racial traits +2/+1 and races with weaker traits +2/+1/+1.

There is currently no indication that we will see a 6th Edition within the next three years at least.

Nope, since they have very obvious and distinctive titles.
5e is literally the easiest MM to work with out between 3.5, Pathfinder, and itself.

Or give +1/+1.

Thanks you very much. I'll check out the .pdf files.

While now I believe you.
Because in 10 years I've certainly never left my character sheet at home, or accidently drawn an extra card off the deck, or mistook a 6 on the die for the 9 (there's a clear little dot to indicate which is which, no one could ever miss that).

And you clearly have never looked at 3 pages full of stat blocks in the course of a long fight, and forgot that you were supposed to use the middle one on that page not the top one, and clearly read the title for the stat block every single time you look at it.

I can't see them making a new edition for at least 4 more years.

>my experience as a forgetful/chronically tired stoner's must be the same as everyone else's
Neat.

I wanna see one of these guys in it. There is precious little lore on them, and I would like more.

where you are perfection incarnate, never tempted, never tired, never mistaken.

It's a bad name for it. Bonus actions are granted by different spells and abilities. It doesn't work the same way as Action Surge. Your player is either wrong or just trying to fuck you.

>Perfection is not bothering to keep your shit from spilling into the rest of your shit

I'm not even very organized, but making such a fuckup is just lazy.

>looking at the wrong stat block on a page, after a long night of gaming, even once over decades.
>impossibly lazy
sure mister perfection.

I ain't perfect, I just print out different sheets. That's all there is to it.

>I ain't perfect, I just print out different sheets.
GASP.
WOW, IMPOSSIBLE.
I never would have suggested doing something like that.

>take a bit of paper and write out the details on any significant encounter.

Debating taking resilience (Wis) at level 8 on my monk so I can use the Gulthias staff whenever I need to more or less. It will also bump me to a +3 in Wis and make me sturdier against mind shit in general. But I need to ask my DM how he rules Stillness of Mind interacting with the madness effects.

Is your campaign going to end up going to at least 14?

Keep in mind that at a higher level you get proficiency in ALL saves, making that Feat a simple +1 WIS. I'd just take +2 wisdom.

Are you this cringy irl too?

Stat him

Or take Observant and never be snuck up on again, and take the +1 Wisdom with it.

His creator is a 16th level pedophile, sadly.
To the detriment of the comic, which has officially become complete shit.

Depends on whether your DM actually uses passive perception at all in their games. It feels like only about half of them actually do.

Berserker Barbarian with Great Weapon Master and a greatsword.

>becomes exhausted after raging

Are scandinavians bad RPers? Would you want one at your table? Tell me the story of that time with the scandinavian

How could you NOT use the PP score as the Stealth DC for monsters sneaking up on/ambushing the party? Is everyone assumed to be staring into their Medieval Smartphone if they aren't constantly rolling Perception?

do you try to come off as superior to people for using the exact techniques they do irl too?

Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 59 (7d10 + 21)
Speed 40 ft.
STR
20 (+5) DEX
12 (+1) CON
17 (+3) INT
3 (-4) WIS
12 (+1) CHA
7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Keen Sight and Smell. The owlbear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The owlbear makes two attacks: one with its beak and one with its claws.
Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage.

It's an open question if we're going that far - it's Adventurer's League but we have decided to finish out Ravenloft in a home game because, well, Ravenloft. That won't take me to 14 so it depends on if I use this character in future AL games. The level 14 thing is indeed bothering me but as I see it, 1) the +1 wis will be enough to bump me to 16 and get a +3 while +2 wis won't make much of a mechanical difference since I will still be at a +3, and 2) being extra tough against will stuff and being able to use the staff's healing much more frequently will make me much tougher on that long road to 14.

I already have mobility so really I'm deciding between +2 dex (taking me to 20) or tweaking my build to use this magic item much more safely since right now it's more or less just a magic quarterstaff.

The wis is just a nice bonus, my concern is being able to use the Gulthias staff for healing more safely. Right now it's 50/50 on failing the will save.

Seconding this.

As long as their English is good.

I've had about half my DMs since 5e release do rolls for everything. I prefer passive perception while the challenger rolls stealth, but hey.

If you think you're going to reach 14, I wouldn't do it. If you think you're not, I would.

You've been talking to multiple people who think you're dumb dude.

Would you get mad if the scandi had a heavy accent and made a viking character?

Not at all. Why would I?

As long as they're comprehensible and play well

That's like asking if I'd mind if a Scottish player ran a dwarf.

>That's be like asking if I'd mind if a Jewish player ran a dwarf.
FTFY

With jews, you lose.
The nose knows.

>If you think you're going to reach 14, I wouldn't do it. If you think you're not, I would.

That's fair, I'll mull it over.

>Guts
>3 INT

>Not recognizing Owlbear Statblock pasta

I don't think he wrote out the same thing you read there. He's right that you have one available each turn,he didn't say anything about trying to get other extra actions in its place

>It even says "The owlbear..." multiple times in the statblock.

You might be able to make the case for retraining it if you get that far, but losing a stat point is a hard sell. Just swapping it by getting an extra stat point (as if you chose an ASI to begin with) should be reasonable however.

Is there a 5th Edition version of the Tomb of Horrors yet? Since they've made it for -every other- edition.

Yea true. I'll talk it over with my DM, we won't hit 8 before we leave the AL so my "AL legal" monk will be able to make the choice a second time anyways if I play her again.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyZSUQBWw

My DM just decided we're going to be using this rewrite instead of PHB ranger. I'm looking it over now and my opinion is "eh."

What does /5eg/ think?

Just remember if you have any Ravenloft adventures on your log for the AL, you have to find an exit from Barovia before you can run that character in non-Ravenloft AL adventures.

July UA when?

Monday.

You hurt his feelings. He'll start anime avatar posting now

I thought your characters were 'released' from Barovia for other AL adventures when the season ended? It wouldn't make much sense for Wizards to lock a bunch of characters made by new people away in an alternate dimension.

repost from last thread since i never got an answer

/5eg/ I've been looking for a LANDSCAPE 5e character sheet for like a thousand years, preferably in the same style as the basic D&D sheet

does such a thing exist, or am I shit out of luck?

>anime avatar posting
Is this a thing or do you not recognized what getting smugged is?

Here's my Lvl. 5 Fiend Blade Pact Warlock.

Her name is Gwen Vegelbud (could you guess I've been playing Witcher 3)?

Background as a Noble.

STR: 10
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 11
CHA: 16

Proficient skills: History, Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion.

Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight, Thirsting Blade

Perks: Alert

Spell Slot (2): 3rd level

Cantrips:
Blade Ward
Eldritch Blast
Friends
Prestidigitation

1st level:
Burning Hands
Charm Person
Hex

2nd level:
Darkness
Suggestion

3rd level:
Fireball

Speaks Common, Elvish, and Dwarven. (I always see them as the big three, like english spanish french).

Inventory:
Studded Leather Armor
Light Crossbow
Two Daggers

Pact weapon: Rapier

Good character?